2021 Meta TR- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2021 Meta TR

mtbr member

Good job! 2021 Meta TR

All new frame just dropped, looking pretty fresh with some nice changes.

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=2145369

Whats new:
    *The new META TR 29 is longer: 490mm reach (size large) vs 475mm on the old META TR 29.
    *The seat angle is more steep: 78.6° vs 76.5°
    *Head angle more slack: 64.5° vs 66.5°
    *Short 44mm fork offset
    *150mm or 160mm Fork travel
    *210x55 shock now default size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What a sick looking bike!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looks amazing, bet it's a brilliant bike. All the angles, reach and suspension make it an enduro bike tough not trail. Hopefully 2020's sx will come down in price more. That's a perfect trail bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    man that looks awesome and i dig the new design, that downtube looks cool. the slightly angled rear shock, not being parallel with the top tube, looks weird to me. Agreed, 150/140mm plus the smash and grab attitude I bet it has, prettymuch puts it in all-mountain category imo. I wonder if the rear shock could be downsized to 130.

steep seat tube angle is nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    New bikes look so sick. Although I'm wondering how it climbs...seems really close to the Meta AM but the new ones are scheduled to be on site June 22nd. Maybe the AM version is 180/170

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    New bikes look so sick. Although I'm wondering how it climbs...seems really close to the Meta AM but the new ones are scheduled to be on site June 22nd. Maybe the AM version is 180/170
    Probably climbs like fine just like the last one? Hard to imagine that the extra seat angle could hurt anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    Probably climbs like fine just like the last one? Hard to imagine that the extra seat angle could hurt anything.
    Yeah, you're right. That is a very steep angle. Very interested in this new bike.

mtbr member
    Looks very nice.
    Anyone know when they will be available?

mtbr member
    First Ride on Pinkbike

New design looks Awesome...just not sure about the longer WB for my local trails.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Looks amazing, wish the did something to lower the weight a bit...but burley build means less broken frames

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Looks very nice.
    Anyone know when they will be available?
    Looks like the 2021 frames will be available in August.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    great bike, decent price. It's expensive, but not uber expensive like a santa cruz.

That too steep seatube trend makes little sense. the slack head angle great, but that steep seat tube, you can't seat and pedal like that unless it's uphill...

and about the sizing... before you could get the larger size if you were in between sizes, now you get a small bike if you go the small one, or a horse of a bike, when you are in between sizes...

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Looks amazing, wish the did something to lower the weight a bit...but burley build means less broken frames
    they want zero problems with warranties, one easy way of making bikes cheaper; over build them and forget about problems and warranty costs and time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This ! I think they overdid it in the race for the steepest STA on earth!:-)

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden a bike with a progressive STA.
    Looks like the that's what all the cool bike companies are doing now a days.

Nathan from The Path Podcast owns both the Privateer and Madonna V2.

Looking forward to the next podcast, when they discuss these new progressive bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Meta TR-screenshot_2020-06-19-https-geometrygeeks-bike.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Anyone know what the high polished frame really looks like? On the Meta AM, it looks just like high polished AL, but the image for the Meta TR looks like a high metallic silver paint. Is the TR painted, or polished and cleared?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    Anyone know what the high polished frame really looks like? On the Meta AM, it looks just like high polished AL, but the image for the Meta TR looks like a high metallic silver paint. Is the TR painted, or polished and cleared?
    Not sure, I suggest emailing Commencal and asking

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Not sure, I suggest emailing Commencal and asking

I asked the question of Commencal and they were very quick to respond.

"Thank you for your email and interest in Commencal.
    I can confirm the TR polished will look the same as the AM, the final photoshoot on the TR has not happened yet. That frame color is gorgeous."

I'm seriously considering a Preorder, but the specs don't quite match up with my preferences. I'm a solid SLX lover, but really want to try the Lyrik/Super Deluxe Ultra RCT combo. The Race spec is Sram GX, and if I step up to the Signature, I lose the suspension I want and get XT cost with odd two-piston brakes. The Essential is probably all I need spec-wise, and could swap out suspension. So many choices!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    I asked the question of Commencal and they were very quick to respond.

"Thank you for your email and interest in Commencal.
    I can confirm the TR polished will look the same as the AM, the final photoshoot on the TR has not happened yet. That frame color is gorgeous."

I'm seriously considering a Preorder, but the specs don't quite match up with my preferences. I'm a solid SLX lover, but really want to try the Lyrik/Super Deluxe Ultra RCT combo. The Race spec is Sram GX, and if I step up to the Signature, I lose the suspension I want and get XT cost with odd two-piston brakes. The Essential is probably all I need spec-wise, and could swap out suspension. So many choices!
    I'm a bit disappointed in Commencal's builds across the range. 2-pot brakes on the top model, really? The Essential was so close to my ideal price/spec build - the only miss is the suspension. I don't think I could put up with a DPS Performance on a burly 140mm trail bike. A 36 Performance Elite/Performance Elite DPX2 would have been great, and the option to spend a bit more and upgrade to the Lyrick/SuperDelux would have been even nicer. I'm really disappointed by the value of the a la carte option - everything seems to be priced at just about retail.

Right now I'm holding out for the Privateer 141 - if they offer a similar price and specs to the 161 it would be my ideal bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in Commencal's builds across the range. 2-pot brakes on the top model, really? The Essential was so close to my ideal price/spec build - the only miss is the suspension. I don't think I could put up with a DPS Performance on a burly 140mm trail bike. A 36 Performance Elite/Performance Elite DPX2 would have been great, and the option to spend a bit more and upgrade to the Lyrick/SuperDelux would have been even nicer. I'm really disappointed by the value of the a la carte option - everything seems to be priced at just about retail.

Right now I'm holding out for the Privateer 141 - if they offer a similar price and specs to the 161 it would be my ideal bike.
    I messed with the A La Carte yesterday, building a Race with SLX/XT components that I think would mimic GX cost, and I hit $4K without a dropper or wheels and tires. They must have put a premium on the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yip. But also take a look at the chainstay lengths - The front center of the new Meta is way too long for the short chainstays in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the Meta TR Race today which is really the same spec as last year's SX model. Coming from an old Ellsworth Evolution with ancient geometry and suspension tech, I'm really looking forward to what this bike is capable of. Here is a first impression review from Pinkbike if you haven't seen it yet.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...o-a-thing.html
    One issue I have found is bike inventory is non-existent right now, especially with the direct to consumer bike manufacturers. I first tried to order a Ripley AF SLX(Same price as the TR Race)and was excited that the dealer had 1 left in stock only to be told the next day their system was incorrect and they had to cancel my order. They can't even tell me when they would see anymore before the 2021 model comes out. The YT Jeffsy lead time is October, the Propain Hugene in the Launch build is August at a grand more with a lower spec. Guerilla Gravity Smash has a 5-7 week build time and again would run at least $1000 more for close to the same specs. I even tried to find a Aluminum Hightower S and nobody has them. When you look at the build kit this Commencal offers, and the fact it's a 2021 model at this price point, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Lead time on the Race is last two weeks of July so at least I will get several months of quality riding in before Winter hits while everyone else waits for their backordered 2020 models to show up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I haven't ridden a bike with a progressive STA.
    Looks like the that's what all the cool bike companies are doing now a days.

Nathan from The Path Podcast owns both the Privateer and Madonna V2.

Looking forward to the next podcast, when they discuss these new progressive bikes.
    I need to get a ride on a super progressive bike like this before i'd consider "upgrading" from my 19 TR. The long reach value makes sense to me with the steeper seat angle, i'm really not worried about fitment. I also wouldn't mind a the head angle, or 10mm extra fork travel. I just don't want to lose that playful trail bike feel the current TR has, these new ones look like they're made to plow. Even though they kept the same chainstay length you're going to be laying longer over the top of the bike due to the length which could make manuals and bunnyhopping more difficult?

What # podcast do they talk about the new geo?

mtbr member
    The link is in my post. The Path Podcast is part of the mountain bike radio network.

The new TR is also much longer, which may compromise playfulness for stability.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    2020 AM Essential vs 2021 TR Essential. Could save some money on the AM for a similar ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    I need to get a ride on a super progressive bike like this before i'd consider "upgrading" from my 19 TR. The long reach value makes sense to me with the steeper seat angle, i'm really not worried about fitment. I also wouldn't mind a the head angle, or 10mm extra fork travel. I just don't want to lose that playful trail bike feel the current TR has, these new ones look like they're made to plow. Even though they kept the same chainstay length you're going to be laying longer over the top of the bike due to the length which could make manuals and bunnyhopping more difficult?

What # podcast do they talk about the new geo?
    Yeah, and our bikes are already made to plow lol. I already thought ours sacrificed a little playfulness for more smash and grab, as far as trail bike go. The new Meta TR seems to take it another step in that direction as evidenced by the longer reach and extra 10mm front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the Meta TR Race today which is really the same spec as last year's SX model. Coming from an old Ellsworth Evolution with ancient geometry and suspension tech, I'm really looking forward to what this bike is capable of. Here is a first impression review from Pinkbike if you haven't seen it yet.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...o-a-thing.html
    One issue I have found is bike inventory is non-existent right now, especially with the direct to consumer bike manufacturers. I first tried to order a Ripley AF SLX(Same price as the TR Race)and was excited that the dealer had 1 left in stock only to be told the next day their system was incorrect and they had to cancel my order. They can't even tell me when they would see anymore before the 2021 model comes out. The YT Jeffsy lead time is October, the Propain Hugene in the Launch build is August at a grand more with a lower spec. Guerilla Gravity Smash has a 5-7 week build time and again would run at least $1000 more for close to the same specs. I even tried to find a Aluminum Hightower S and nobody has them. When you look at the build kit this Commencal offers, and the fact it's a 2021 model at this price point, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Lead time on the Race is last two weeks of July so at least I will get several months of quality riding in before Winter hits while everyone else waits for their backordered 2020 models to show up.
    What did they require as far as payment for the Pre-Order? I'm hoping they'll just take a deposit with full payment prior to shipment versus paying in full up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    The link is in my post. The Path Podcast is part of the mountain bike radio network.

The new TR is also much longer, which may compromise playfulness for stability.
    Listened to the latest one, he pretty much just says that his bike feels stable on fast chunk. Honestly I would expect this from anything with these mega wheelbase numbers. He also said his build was like 37LBs which could be a contributing factor?

Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Yeah, and our bikes are already made to plow lol. I already thought ours sacrificed a little playfulness for more smash and grab, as far as trail bike go. The new Meta TR seems to take it another step in that direction as evidenced by the longer reach and extra 10mm front and rear.

I don't really agree with that, my AM was way more forgiving than the TR but the TR is way more snappy to hop and pop even with the 29s. I already have mine setup for 140mm rear, I don't think it's a deal breaker +/- 10mm. I did some shuttling yesterday on a rather big trail for a trail bike. The TR held it's own but I wanted more bike a few times in the super steep and fast stuff. I don't think the extra angles would have made much of a difference without more travel. (appropriate travel for the geo at least..)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Full amount was charged to my card. Some manufacturers like Guerilla Gravity offer 6 months interest free financing, but I think most manufacturers with consumer direct models will make you pay in full even with a pre-order. Demand is too high for bikes at the moment for them to make any concessions on payment options.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    Full amount was charged to my card. Some manufacturers like Guerilla Gravity offer 6 months interest free financing, but I think most manufacturers with consumer direct models will make you pay in full even with a pre-order. Demand is too high for bikes at the moment for them to make any concessions on payment options.
    One other thing I forgot to mention on the Race model that you need to take note of before ordering. Make sure that the spring rating on the Ultimate Coil matches your weight and riding style. Commencal gets these from the Factory and does not carry spare Rockshox Springs. The Spring weight is listed in the specs for each frame size. The Medium I ordered is only rated at 400 lbs so use the calculator on Rockshox to determine your Spring weight. Just like bikes that are in high demand these days, so are parts. I had to spend a lot of time trying to find a company that carried the correct size spring in the weight(600 lb spring) I needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Well, it looks like I missed the boat for a July delivery on a Large frame Race. We'll see who else is announcing new bikes in July.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anybody here bought the FRAME option? Purchased a 2021 - LARGE FRAME and will build it up with the new 12 speed DEORE M6100 parts.

I called Commencal up and they stated the rear shock mounting hardware (upper) is 20mmx10mm but for some reason they said won't fit a FOX Float DPS performance properly (210x55) due to the stepped eyelet DU bushing lip? My guess is that it's because of the TAN colored DELRIN bushing that comes with the FOX rear shocks?

Any of you guys tried this before? Maybe remove the tan colored delrin bushing and press in a new PU bushing in it instead?

Was also looking at the 5 PIECE mounting kit from FOX #803-03-232 (20mmx10mm) but nobody seems to have the darned thing in stock anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The Meta TR will definitely fit a DPS - the Essential model comes speced with one: https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...al-c2x30728105

If you use IGUS (fox) bushings, get the fox mounting kit (or DVO - both kits work with IGUS bushings). If you want to use DU bushings, get RockShox hardware.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    If you use IGUS (fox) bushings, get the fox mounting kit (or DVO - both kits work with IGUS bushings). If you want to use DU bushings, get RockShox hardware.
    Much thanks for the reply, bad info from me. I believe they meant the Ride Alpha 20x10mm bushing kit they sell won't work with the IGUS bushings. Per your suggestion, I sourced a Fox Mounting Hardware #803-03-232 (20x10mm).