2021 Meta TR- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 82 of 82

Thread: 2021 Meta TR

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    164

    Good job! 2021 Meta TR

    All new frame just dropped, looking pretty fresh with some nice changes.

    https://www.commencalusa.com/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=2145369




    Whats new:
    *The new META TR 29 is longer: 490mm reach (size large) vs 475mm on the old META TR 29.
    *The seat angle is more steep: 78.6į vs 76.5į
    *Head angle more slack: 64.5į vs 66.5į
    *Short 44mm fork offset
    *150mm or 160mm Fork travel
    *210x55 shock now default size?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21
    What a sick looking bike!

    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    64
    Looks amazing, bet it's a brilliant bike. All the angles, reach and suspension make it an enduro bike tough not trail. Hopefully 2020's sx will come down in price more. That's a perfect trail bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66
    man that looks awesome and i dig the new design, that downtube looks cool. the slightly angled rear shock, not being parallel with the top tube, looks weird to me. Agreed, 150/140mm plus the smash and grab attitude I bet it has, prettymuch puts it in all-mountain category imo. I wonder if the rear shock could be downsized to 130.

    steep seat tube angle is nice

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    New bikes look so sick. Although I'm wondering how it climbs...seems really close to the Meta AM but the new ones are scheduled to be on site June 22nd. Maybe the AM version is 180/170

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    New bikes look so sick. Although I'm wondering how it climbs...seems really close to the Meta AM but the new ones are scheduled to be on site June 22nd. Maybe the AM version is 180/170
    Probably climbs like fine just like the last one? Hard to imagine that the extra seat angle could hurt anything.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    Probably climbs like fine just like the last one? Hard to imagine that the extra seat angle could hurt anything.
    Yeah, you're right. That is a very steep angle. Very interested in this new bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650
    Looks very nice.
    Anyone know when they will be available?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    469
    First Ride on Pinkbike

    New design looks Awesome...just not sure about the longer WB for my local trails.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    302
    Looks amazing, wish the did something to lower the weight a bit...but burley build means less broken frames

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Looks very nice.
    Anyone know when they will be available?
    Looks like the 2021 frames will be available in August.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  12. #12
    MaLůĆĘ*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    817
    great bike, decent price. It's expensive, but not uber expensive like a santa cruz.

    That too steep seatube trend makes little sense. the slack head angle great, but that steep seat tube, you can't seat and pedal like that unless it's uphill...

    and about the sizing... before you could get the larger size if you were in between sizes, now you get a small bike if you go the small one, or a horse of a bike, when you are in between sizes...

  13. #13
    MaLůĆĘ*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Looks amazing, wish the did something to lower the weight a bit...but burley build means less broken frames
    they want zero problems with warranties, one easy way of making bikes cheaper; over build them and forget about problems and warranty costs and time.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    129
    This ! I think they overdid it in the race for the steepest STA on earth!:-)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    469
    I haven't ridden a bike with a progressive STA.
    Looks like the that's what all the cool bike companies are doing now a days.

    Nathan from The Path Podcast owns both the Privateer and Madonna V2.

    Looking forward to the next podcast, when they discuss these new progressive bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Meta TR-screenshot_2020-06-19-https-geometrygeeks-bike.png  

    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    89
    Anyone know what the high polished frame really looks like? On the Meta AM, it looks just like high polished AL, but the image for the Meta TR looks like a high metallic silver paint. Is the TR painted, or polished and cleared?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    Anyone know what the high polished frame really looks like? On the Meta AM, it looks just like high polished AL, but the image for the Meta TR looks like a high metallic silver paint. Is the TR painted, or polished and cleared?
    Not sure, I suggest emailing Commencal and asking

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Not sure, I suggest emailing Commencal and asking

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    I asked the question of Commencal and they were very quick to respond.

    "Thank you for your email and interest in Commencal.
    I can confirm the TR polished will look the same as the AM, the final photoshoot on the TR has not happened yet. That frame color is gorgeous."

    I'm seriously considering a Preorder, but the specs don't quite match up with my preferences. I'm a solid SLX lover, but really want to try the Lyrik/Super Deluxe Ultra RCT combo. The Race spec is Sram GX, and if I step up to the Signature, I lose the suspension I want and get XT cost with odd two-piston brakes. The Essential is probably all I need spec-wise, and could swap out suspension. So many choices!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    I asked the question of Commencal and they were very quick to respond.

    "Thank you for your email and interest in Commencal.
    I can confirm the TR polished will look the same as the AM, the final photoshoot on the TR has not happened yet. That frame color is gorgeous."

    I'm seriously considering a Preorder, but the specs don't quite match up with my preferences. I'm a solid SLX lover, but really want to try the Lyrik/Super Deluxe Ultra RCT combo. The Race spec is Sram GX, and if I step up to the Signature, I lose the suspension I want and get XT cost with odd two-piston brakes. The Essential is probably all I need spec-wise, and could swap out suspension. So many choices!
    I'm a bit disappointed in Commencal's builds across the range. 2-pot brakes on the top model, really? The Essential was so close to my ideal price/spec build - the only miss is the suspension. I don't think I could put up with a DPS Performance on a burly 140mm trail bike. A 36 Performance Elite/Performance Elite DPX2 would have been great, and the option to spend a bit more and upgrade to the Lyrick/SuperDelux would have been even nicer. I'm really disappointed by the value of the a la carte option - everything seems to be priced at just about retail.

    Right now I'm holding out for the Privateer 141 - if they offer a similar price and specs to the 161 it would be my ideal bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in Commencal's builds across the range. 2-pot brakes on the top model, really? The Essential was so close to my ideal price/spec build - the only miss is the suspension. I don't think I could put up with a DPS Performance on a burly 140mm trail bike. A 36 Performance Elite/Performance Elite DPX2 would have been great, and the option to spend a bit more and upgrade to the Lyrick/SuperDelux would have been even nicer. I'm really disappointed by the value of the a la carte option - everything seems to be priced at just about retail.

    Right now I'm holding out for the Privateer 141 - if they offer a similar price and specs to the 161 it would be my ideal bike.
    I messed with the A La Carte yesterday, building a Race with SLX/XT components that I think would mimic GX cost, and I hit $4K without a dropper or wheels and tires. They must have put a premium on the frame.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    129
    Yip. But also take a look at the chainstay lengths - The front center of the new Meta is way too long for the short chainstays in my opinion.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the Meta TR Race today which is really the same spec as last year's SX model. Coming from an old Ellsworth Evolution with ancient geometry and suspension tech, I'm really looking forward to what this bike is capable of. Here is a first impression review from Pinkbike if you haven't seen it yet.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...o-a-thing.html
    One issue I have found is bike inventory is non-existent right now, especially with the direct to consumer bike manufacturers. I first tried to order a Ripley AF SLX(Same price as the TR Race)and was excited that the dealer had 1 left in stock only to be told the next day their system was incorrect and they had to cancel my order. They can't even tell me when they would see anymore before the 2021 model comes out. The YT Jeffsy lead time is October, the Propain Hugene in the Launch build is August at a grand more with a lower spec. Guerilla Gravity Smash has a 5-7 week build time and again would run at least $1000 more for close to the same specs. I even tried to find a Aluminum Hightower S and nobody has them. When you look at the build kit this Commencal offers, and the fact it's a 2021 model at this price point, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Lead time on the Race is last two weeks of July so at least I will get several months of quality riding in before Winter hits while everyone else waits for their backordered 2020 models to show up.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I haven't ridden a bike with a progressive STA.
    Looks like the that's what all the cool bike companies are doing now a days.

    Nathan from The Path Podcast owns both the Privateer and Madonna V2.

    Looking forward to the next podcast, when they discuss these new progressive bikes.
    I need to get a ride on a super progressive bike like this before i'd consider "upgrading" from my 19 TR. The long reach value makes sense to me with the steeper seat angle, i'm really not worried about fitment. I also wouldn't mind a the head angle, or 10mm extra fork travel. I just don't want to lose that playful trail bike feel the current TR has, these new ones look like they're made to plow. Even though they kept the same chainstay length you're going to be laying longer over the top of the bike due to the length which could make manuals and bunnyhopping more difficult?

    What # podcast do they talk about the new geo?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr_manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    469
    The link is in my post. The Path Podcast is part of the mountain bike radio network.

    The new TR is also much longer, which may compromise playfulness for stability.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    3
    2020 AM Essential vs 2021 TR Essential. Could save some money on the AM for a similar ride?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    I need to get a ride on a super progressive bike like this before i'd consider "upgrading" from my 19 TR. The long reach value makes sense to me with the steeper seat angle, i'm really not worried about fitment. I also wouldn't mind a the head angle, or 10mm extra fork travel. I just don't want to lose that playful trail bike feel the current TR has, these new ones look like they're made to plow. Even though they kept the same chainstay length you're going to be laying longer over the top of the bike due to the length which could make manuals and bunnyhopping more difficult?

    What # podcast do they talk about the new geo?
    Yeah, and our bikes are already made to plow lol. I already thought ours sacrificed a little playfulness for more smash and grab, as far as trail bike go. The new Meta TR seems to take it another step in that direction as evidenced by the longer reach and extra 10mm front and rear.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the Meta TR Race today which is really the same spec as last year's SX model. Coming from an old Ellsworth Evolution with ancient geometry and suspension tech, I'm really looking forward to what this bike is capable of. Here is a first impression review from Pinkbike if you haven't seen it yet.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...o-a-thing.html
    One issue I have found is bike inventory is non-existent right now, especially with the direct to consumer bike manufacturers. I first tried to order a Ripley AF SLX(Same price as the TR Race)and was excited that the dealer had 1 left in stock only to be told the next day their system was incorrect and they had to cancel my order. They can't even tell me when they would see anymore before the 2021 model comes out. The YT Jeffsy lead time is October, the Propain Hugene in the Launch build is August at a grand more with a lower spec. Guerilla Gravity Smash has a 5-7 week build time and again would run at least $1000 more for close to the same specs. I even tried to find a Aluminum Hightower S and nobody has them. When you look at the build kit this Commencal offers, and the fact it's a 2021 model at this price point, I'm pretty happy with my decision. Lead time on the Race is last two weeks of July so at least I will get several months of quality riding in before Winter hits while everyone else waits for their backordered 2020 models to show up.
    What did they require as far as payment for the Pre-Order? I'm hoping they'll just take a deposit with full payment prior to shipment versus paying in full up front.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    The link is in my post. The Path Podcast is part of the mountain bike radio network.

    The new TR is also much longer, which may compromise playfulness for stability.
    Listened to the latest one, he pretty much just says that his bike feels stable on fast chunk. Honestly I would expect this from anything with these mega wheelbase numbers. He also said his build was like 37LBs which could be a contributing factor?

    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Yeah, and our bikes are already made to plow lol. I already thought ours sacrificed a little playfulness for more smash and grab, as far as trail bike go. The new Meta TR seems to take it another step in that direction as evidenced by the longer reach and extra 10mm front and rear.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    I don't really agree with that, my AM was way more forgiving than the TR but the TR is way more snappy to hop and pop even with the 29s. I already have mine setup for 140mm rear, I don't think it's a deal breaker +/- 10mm. I did some shuttling yesterday on a rather big trail for a trail bike. The TR held it's own but I wanted more bike a few times in the super steep and fast stuff. I don't think the extra angles would have made much of a difference without more travel. (appropriate travel for the geo at least..)

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Full amount was charged to my card. Some manufacturers like Guerilla Gravity offer 6 months interest free financing, but I think most manufacturers with consumer direct models will make you pay in full even with a pre-order. Demand is too high for bikes at the moment for them to make any concessions on payment options.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    Full amount was charged to my card. Some manufacturers like Guerilla Gravity offer 6 months interest free financing, but I think most manufacturers with consumer direct models will make you pay in full even with a pre-order. Demand is too high for bikes at the moment for them to make any concessions on payment options.
    One other thing I forgot to mention on the Race model that you need to take note of before ordering. Make sure that the spring rating on the Ultimate Coil matches your weight and riding style. Commencal gets these from the Factory and does not carry spare Rockshox Springs. The Spring weight is listed in the specs for each frame size. The Medium I ordered is only rated at 400 lbs so use the calculator on Rockshox to determine your Spring weight. Just like bikes that are in high demand these days, so are parts. I had to spend a lot of time trying to find a company that carried the correct size spring in the weight(600 lb spring) I needed.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    89
    Well, it looks like I missed the boat for a July delivery on a Large frame Race. We'll see who else is announcing new bikes in July.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Anybody here bought the FRAME option? Purchased a 2021 - LARGE FRAME and will build it up with the new 12 speed DEORE M6100 parts.

    I called Commencal up and they stated the rear shock mounting hardware (upper) is 20mmx10mm but for some reason they said won't fit a FOX Float DPS performance properly (210x55) due to the stepped eyelet DU bushing lip? My guess is that it's because of the TAN colored DELRIN bushing that comes with the FOX rear shocks?

    Any of you guys tried this before? Maybe remove the tan colored delrin bushing and press in a new PU bushing in it instead?

    Was also looking at the 5 PIECE mounting kit from FOX #803-03-232 (20mmx10mm) but nobody seems to have the darned thing in stock anywhere.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    412
    The Meta TR will definitely fit a DPS - the Essential model comes speced with one: https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...al-c2x30728105

    If you use IGUS (fox) bushings, get the fox mounting kit (or DVO - both kits work with IGUS bushings). If you want to use DU bushings, get RockShox hardware.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    If you use IGUS (fox) bushings, get the fox mounting kit (or DVO - both kits work with IGUS bushings). If you want to use DU bushings, get RockShox hardware.
    Much thanks for the reply, bad info from me. I believe they meant the Ride Alpha 20x10mm bushing kit they sell won't work with the IGUS bushings. Per your suggestion, I sourced a Fox Mounting Hardware #803-03-232 (20x10mm).

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    Hi! Anyone know the maximal dropper insertion on a large frame? My cousin is on the verge to order an origin build and will need a dropper. He's 6'2" but with a smaller inseam so I think the fit will be better on a large than on a x-large...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16

    2021 Meta TR Race has arrived

    I just got my 2021 in last Friday and only had enough time to unbox and start getting things set-up. I replaced the 350 lb Spring for a 600 lb spring, and will work on suspension set-up when I get back in town.

    I cannot describe how impressed I am with the build quality of this beast. The pictures on the Commencal website don't do this bike justice.

    I have a couple of pics that I took as well. The thickness of the tubes on this bike and their unique shapes just exude a robust design.

    Can't wait to get back in town, dial in the suspension, and put this monster to the test.



  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Looking good! Hopefully the frames aren't delayed from shipping - doing a custom build.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Looking good! Hopefully the frames aren't delayed from shipping - doing a custom build.
    Good luck on your build. Please share pics when you are finished. I will try to do a quick review after I get a chance to ride this weekend.

    Which frame model and color did you pick?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    The frame is a 2021 Meta TR - Large - Color is Heritage Green. Would have been cheaper if I just bought the META TR "ESSENTIAL" trim level though, but said trim level is not available till November (backordered?)

    Looks like you got the "RACE" Trim Level. Are they shipping them out even though their site says November for most of the trim levels?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    The frame is a 2021 Meta TR - Large - Color is Heritage Green. Would have been cheaper if I just bought the META TR "ESSENTIAL" trim level though, but said trim level is not available till November (backordered?)

    Looks like you got the "RACE" Trim Level. Are they shipping them out even though their site says November for most of the trim levels?
    Commencal keeps updating the lead time based on the orders already placed. I was fortunate to jump on the pre-order in June that had a July delivery time. I was going to get the 2020 SX model which is pretty much identical to the new Race, but I hemmed and hawed and ended up missing out. There is something about the old top tube design that I really liked but once you get your frame in person you won't regret the 2021. I also like the matte Graphite paint color of the 2021 over the Putty color of the 2020 SX. Looks awesome with the red Lyric Fork and red spring.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I replaced the 350 lb Spring for a 600 lb spring
    Hey TBro - I'm in New Zealand and expecting my large Race TR around 31st July... man this month is going slow. Just wondering if you could answer the unaskable - how much do you weigh? I'm 180lbs - 81ish kg and the large comes with a 400lb spring. I've read up on the new MRP progressive springs - could be an option if the spring needs changing.

  42. #42
    Piccolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1
    I've been considering this bike for the past 2 weeks but wasn't planning on ordering until a little bit later this year when I change jobs (more $$$)... Just recently noticed that the XL Meta TR Signature isn't an option any longer...

    Has anyone had experience ordering from Commencal? Hoping that the Signature will become available again some time this year and hoping this wasn't my only opportunity to snag one at this price...
    '18 Stumpy Expert
    '16 Santa Cruz Stigmata

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenous View Post
    Hey TBro - I'm in New Zealand and expecting my large Race TR around 31st July... man this month is going slow. Just wondering if you could answer the unaskable - how much do you weigh? I'm 180lbs - 81ish kg and the large comes with a 400lb spring. I've read up on the new MRP progressive springs - could be an option if the spring needs changing.
    I got my TR Race in on the 17th. It's a large with the 400lb spring and it feels perfect for me at 190lbs. I sit right at 30% sag.

    Here are a few photos I shot after my first ride on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Meta TR-bike4c.jpg  

    2021 Meta TR-bike3c.jpg  

    2021 Meta TR-bike2c.jpg  

    2021 Meta TR-bike1c.jpg  


  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tpettit View Post

    Here are a few photos I shot after my first ride on it.
    Absolutely stunning photos - pro! Thanks for the intel on the spring/weight.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Was wondering if anybody here purchased the META TR 2021 in "Essential" trim which comes with the Fox Float DPS performance shock - if so, what's the custom 4-DIGIT TUNE ID for the rear shock?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    146
    Really eyeing the 2021 Essential model for 3500Ä. Looks solid aside from the suspension.

    I also found a deal on a used XL Hightower C - S build for the same price. Have any of you ridden both by this time? I know the 2021 Meta hasn't seen much daylight yet though...

    Current bike is a XL '17 Fuel EX. Much closer to the Hightower in terms of reach.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    I just wanted to give everyone a quick update and ride report on my 2021 TR Race. The bike so far has been pretty incredible compared to my Old Ellsworth Evolution. The Geometry changes alone have made climbing a lot more enjoyable. The huge rake and travel on the front fork took some time to get used to, but I don't notice it anymore. The Magic Mary front tire is a terrible choice for the type of trails I ride in the upper Midwest. The Nobby Nic is a great rear tire so I decided to leave that alone and just changed out to an Assegai up front. Don't care that there is a mis match in brands. I think it will be a great combo. The bike is so capable over the most challenging terrain and really improves one's confidence. I would not hesitate again to pull the trigger. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me. As I mentioned earlier, I did swap out the Spring for my weight and went to a 600lb spring.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I just wanted to give everyone a quick update and ride report on my 2021 TR Race. The bike so far has been pretty incredible compared to my Old Ellsworth Evolution. The Geometry changes alone have made climbing a lot more enjoyable. The huge rake and travel on the front fork took some time to get used to, but I don't notice it anymore. The Magic Mary front tire is a terrible choice for the type of trails I ride in the upper Midwest. The Nobby Nic is a great rear tire so I decided to leave that alone and just changed out to an Assegai up front. Don't care that there is a mis match in brands. I think it will be a great combo. The bike is so capable over the most challenging terrain and really improves one's confidence. I would not hesitate again to pull the trigger. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me. As I mentioned earlier, I did swap out the Spring for my weight and went to a 600lb spring.

    Good to hear a bit about it! Seeing as it's such a long and slack bike, I am sure that is great for high-speed DH. But maneuvering on slower, technical trails is probably quite tricky right?
    I would use the bike on some flatter terrain every so often as well and am afraid that the long and slack geo would make flatter terrain too boring...

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenous View Post
    Hey TBro - I'm in New Zealand and expecting my large Race TR around 31st July... man this month is going slow. Just wondering if you could answer the unaskable - how much do you weigh? I'm 180lbs - 81ish kg and the large comes with a 400lb spring. I've read up on the new MRP progressive springs - could be an option if the spring needs changing.
    Sorry I missed your post. I've been on vacation. I weigh 230 all geared up which is why I went with the 600 lb spring. I based that off of a table for Rockshox spring rates, I just don't remember where I found it. If I can track it down, I will post it for you. Since the anti-squat in this bike performs very well, you could try the stock spring and see how it does for your riding style and trails.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post
    Good to hear a bit about it! Seeing as it's such a long and slack bike, I am sure that is great for high-speed DH. But maneuvering on slower, technical trails is probably quite tricky right?
    I would use the bike on some flatter terrain every so often as well and am afraid that the long and slack geo would make flatter terrain too boring...
    I could see how you would think that, but it maneuvers just fine. My old bike only had 120mm of travel and the HTA was almost 80 degrees so it had precise steering, but struggled to get over any big obstacles. That is why it took me a few rides to get used to the longer rake up front. I haven't tried the Assagai/Nobby Nic combo yet so I'm hopeful that will make a big difference on improved steering and response. I did a trail last week that had a lot of tight turns, rock obstacles, and other technical challenges and it performed really well even with the Magic Mary tire up front. I think any modern full suspension trail bike will feel like overkill on flat"boring" terrain.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I could see how you would think that, but it maneuvers just fine. My old bike only had 120mm of travel and the HTA was almost 80 degrees so it had precise steering, but struggled to get over any big obstacles. That is why it took me a few rides to get used to the longer rake up front. I haven't tried the Assagai/Nobby Nic combo yet so I'm hopeful that will make a big difference on improved steering and response. I did a trail last week that had a lot of tight turns, rock obstacles, and other technical challenges and it performed really well even with the Magic Mary tire up front. I think any modern full suspension trail bike will feel like overkill on flat"boring" terrain.
    I did my first test lap today with the Assegai front tire that replaced the Magic Mary. Night and day difference. The bike is more responsive and precise on the steering. Traction on the fine layer of loose over hardpack on the trails I ride was sure footed and confidence inspiring. It completely transforms the bike and works well with the Nobby Nic I left in place from the factory. I'm sure the Magic Mary is a great tire for the right application, but for me I wouldn't spec that tire for a Trail bike which is what the Meta TR is. The Meta AM also specs the Magic Mary up front which makes a lot more sense if you are focused on Enduro riding.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TBro View Post
    I just wanted to give everyone a quick update and ride report on my 2021 TR Race. The bike so far has been pretty incredible compared to my Old Ellsworth Evolution. The Geometry changes alone have made climbing a lot more enjoyable. The huge rake and travel on the front fork took some time to get used to, but I don't notice it anymore. The Magic Mary front tire is a terrible choice for the type of trails I ride in the upper Midwest. The Nobby Nic is a great rear tire so I decided to leave that alone and just changed out to an Assegai up front. Don't care that there is a mis match in brands. I think it will be a great combo. The bike is so capable over the most challenging terrain and really improves one's confidence. I would not hesitate again to pull the trigger. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me. As I mentioned earlier, I did swap out the Spring for my weight and went to a 600lb spring.

    Hey , what do you think of upgrading fork travel to 170/180mm on the race version?

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by panuelos View Post
    Hey , what do you think of upgrading fork travel to 170/180mm on the race version?
    Are you thinking to put a 170/180mm fork on the Meta TR? At that point I would suggest just going with the Meta AM.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    Are you thinking to put a 170/180mm fork on the Meta TR? At that point I would suggest just going with the Meta AM.
    Yes indeed i am. Not fan of a meta am tbh thats why i would prefer to buy TR version.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by panuelos View Post
    Yes indeed i am. Not fan of a meta am tbh thats why i would prefer to buy TR version.
    It just doesn't make sense to do that tbh. You're still limited at 140mm in the rear and it's gonna cost way more than just buying the AM. It will void warranty and the frame wasn't designed with that much travel in mind. Recipe for disaster IMO but you can do it if you really want to lol.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    It just doesn't make sense to do that tbh. You're still limited at 140mm in the rear and it's gonna cost way more than just buying the AM. It will void warranty and the frame wasn't designed with that much travel in mind. Recipe for disaster IMO but you can do it if you really want to lol.
    Panuelos,

    I have to agree with Piff on this. Don't **** with the TR's Geometry. The Lyrik on my TR Race at 160mm is already pushing the travel limit on a trail bike. Anything more than that would be unnecessary and severely alter the handling of that bike. It's already a lot to muscle around on tight trails. If you don't like the AR, then find a different All Mountain option that meets your needs.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    237
    For those that have their bikes and are running an air shock. Could you share the 4 digit ID code on your Fox shock? I'm using a DPX2 off of another bike and would like to confirm my settings. Cheers J

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    can someone confirm the routing for the dropper post? I guess you have to remove bb and cranks to guide the cable uo in the downtube then fishing it on the exit port near the head tube?? My cousin just received his Meta TR and need to install the dropper. He's not experience and it's hard for to help him at a distance...

    Edit: ok I think it was a success...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    can someone confirm the routing for the dropper post? I guess you have to remove bb and cranks to guide the cable uo in the downtube then fishing it on the exit port near the head tube?? My cousin just received his Meta TR and need to install the dropper. He's not experience and it's hard for to help him at a distance...

    Edit: ok I think it was a success...
    Remove the downtube protector and I believe there is a port for the dropper to go up. I'm going on memory which is old and fading. J

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    For those that have their bikes and are running an air shock. Could you share the 4 digit ID code on your Fox shock? I'm using a DPX2 off of another bike and would like to confirm my settings. Cheers J
    Curious about this as well. I have a DPX2 waiting to go on too! Hoping I can still fit my water bottle...

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    Curious about this as well. I have a DPX2 waiting to go on too! Hoping I can still fit my water bottle...
    No problem with fitment on my Large. J

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Finally got my frame, got a question for you guys that built your own bikes.

    The frame came with a black bushing which looks like it's made out of plastic. The OD diameter of the bushing is 14.91 MM.

    Is this meant to replace the IGUS bushings (tan) on the rear eyelet on a Fox Rear Shock?

    2021 Meta TR-img-6831.jpg2021 Meta TR-img-6830.jpg

    Build is going well, just need to figure out cable routing for the dropper post (internal), brakes, and the rear derailleur.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Finally got my frame, got a question for you guys that built your own bikes.

    The frame came with a black bushing which looks like it's made out of plastic. The OD diameter of the bushing is 14.91 MM.

    Is this meant to replace the IGUS bushings (tan) on the rear eyelet on a Fox Rear Shock?



    Build is going well, just need to figure out cable routing for the dropper post (internal), brakes, and the rear derailleur.
    Yeah, it's a reducer bushing for the rear yoke. Just pop out the polymer bushings. As there is no rotation, the igus is not required. J

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Much thanks, finally finished the build. Couldn't ride yet give the air-quality (fires) in Northern California

    Honestly, building one doesn't make sense - lol. I should have bought the "Essential" TRIM from Commencal instead and would have saved some money. It's a mid range build with the following components.

    • Commencal 2021 Meta TR Frame (Large)
    • Cane Creek 40 Series Headset - ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40
    • Wheels Mfg BB86/92 for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks Bottom Bracket #BB86-OUT-BB (Thread Together Press Fit BB)
    • Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Front Fork (150mm Travel, Boost, 44mm Offset)
    • Fox Float DPS Performance Rear Shock - 210x55 Dimensions
    • Fox 5-Piece Stainless Steel Shock Mounting Hardware Kit - #803-03-232 (10mm x 20mm)
    • Nukeproof Neutron V2 Wheelset (Boost, MicroSpline)
    • Maxxis Minion DHR-II Tires (29er - 2.4 inch width)
    • Shimano SL-MT500-IL Dropper Post Lever (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • PNW Bachelor Solo Dropper Post (34.9mm width x 170mm travel)
    • Hope Bolt On Seatpost Clamps (38.5mm - Black)
    • WTB Volt Steel Saddle
    • Shimano Deore #SL-M6100-IR Shifter (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • Shimano Deore #RD-M6100-SGS Shadow RD+ Rear Derailleur
    • Shimano Deore #CN-M6100-1 Chain
    • Shimano Deore #CS-M6100-12 12 speed Cassette 10/51T MicroSpline Type
    • Shimano Deore #FC-M6120-1 Crank (Boost - 55mm Chainline) - 170mm x 30T
    • Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (Black) Large Pedals
    • Shimano Deore #BL-M6100 Brake Levers + #BR-M6120 4 Piston Calipers (with hose)
    • Avid 203mm Brake Rotors
    • Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM (180 -> 203mm adapter)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Stem (40mm x 0 Deg x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Riser Bar (780mm x 35mm Riser x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • Ergon GA3 Lock On Grips 2020
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Meta TR-unnamed.jpg  

    Last edited by funks; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:15 AM.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Much thanks, finally finished the build. Couldn't ride yet give the air-quality (fires) in Northern California

    Honestly, building one doesn't make sense - lol. I should have bought the "Essential" TRIM from Commencal instead and would have saved some money. It's a mid range build with the following components.

    • Commencal 2021 Meta TR Frame (Large - Green)
    • Cane Creek 40 Series Headset - ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40 - Short Cap
    • Wheels Mfg BB86-92 Shimano BB (Thread Together Press Fit BB)
    • Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Front Fork ( 150mm Travel, Boost, 44mm Offset)
    • Fox Float DPS Performance Rear Shock - 210x55 Dimensions
    • Fox 5-Piece Stainless Steel Mounting Hardware Kit - #803-03-232 (10mm x 20mm)
    • Nukeproof Neutron V2 Wheelset (Boost, MicroSpline)
    • Maxxis Minion DHR-II Tires (29er - 2.4 inch width)
    • Shimano SL-MT500-IL Dropper Post Lever (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • PNW Bachelor Solo Dropper Post (34.9mm width x 170mm travel)
    • Hope Bolt On Seatpost Clamps (38.5mm - Black)
    • WTB Volt Steel Saddle
    • Shimano SL-M6100-IR Shifter (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • Shimano RD-M6100-SGS Shadow RD+ Rear Derailleur
    • Shimano CN-M6100-1 Chain
    • Shimano CS-M6100-12 12 speed Cassette 10/51T MicroSpline Type
    • Shimano FC-M6120-1 Crank (Boost - 55mm Chainline) - 170mm x 30T
    • Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (Black) Large Pedals
    • Shimano BL-M6100 Brake Levers + BR-M6120 4 Piston Calipers (with hose)
    • Avid 203mm Brake Rotors
    • Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM (180 -> 203mm adapter)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Stem (40mm x 0 Deg x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Riser Bar (780mm x 35mm Riser x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • Ergon GA3 Lock On Grips 2020

    Great build, love the value and performance the Shimano Deore groupo brings to the table.

    I built up my hardtail due to COVID shortage and you are definitely right that building doesn't make financial sense... but it is more fun to build!

    How are those Wheels Mfg Thread Together Press Fit BB's? I've heard a little bit about them and will probably swap mine over to one in the future...

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Much thanks, finally finished the build. Couldn't ride yet give the air-quality (fires) in Northern California
    Clean build! Yea those fires not lookin too good.

    How are those Wheels Mfg Thread Together Press Fit BB's? I've heard a little bit about them and will probably swap mine over to one in the future...
    They're very good.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    Great build, love the value and performance the Shimano Deore groupo brings to the table.
    I don't think you can beat the Shimano Deore 6100 Series Group Set from a performance / value perspective. Even the Dropper Post Lever is A+ (has a bearing instead of just a bushing). My opinion is that the FIT and FINISH is too good - lol, making the SLX+ group a fairly unattractive buy.

    Pretty sure we'll start seeing new bikes offered with this group set starting next year and hopefully it displaces the SRAM SX Eagle Group Set in the OEM market.

    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    How are those Wheels Mfg Thread Together Press Fit BB's? I've heard a little bit about them and will probably swap mine over to one in the future...
    It installed fairly easily, half the people I meet at the Soquel Demo Forest in Santa Cruz have creaking Bottom Brackets, fairly sure they had press fit BB's.. Crossing my fingers this prevents it going forward.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Yeah, it's a reducer bushing for the rear yoke. Just pop out the polymer bushings. As there is no rotation, the igus is not required. J
    so pleased I found this. Just taken delivery of my polished frame this week and have gone for the Rockshox Ultimate Coil. The bushings Were puzzling me as it felt wrong to push out the DU bush and replace it with the black one which pushes in by hand although very snug. Glad to hear itís right though. Problem solved. Many thanks.👍

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Much thanks, finally finished the build. Couldn't ride yet give the air-quality (fires) in Northern California

    Honestly, building one doesn't make sense - lol. I should have bought the "Essential" TRIM from Commencal instead and would have saved some money. It's a mid range build with the following components.

    • Commencal 2021 Meta TR Frame (Large)
    • Cane Creek 40 Series Headset - ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40
    • Wheels Mfg BB86/92 for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks Bottom Bracket #BB86-OUT-BB (Thread Together Press Fit BB)
    • Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Front Fork (150mm Travel, Boost, 44mm Offset)
    • Fox Float DPS Performance Rear Shock - 210x55 Dimensions
    • Fox 5-Piece Stainless Steel Shock Mounting Hardware Kit - #803-03-232 (10mm x 20mm)
    • Nukeproof Neutron V2 Wheelset (Boost, MicroSpline)
    • Maxxis Minion DHR-II Tires (29er - 2.4 inch width)
    • Shimano SL-MT500-IL Dropper Post Lever (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • PNW Bachelor Solo Dropper Post (34.9mm width x 170mm travel)
    • Hope Bolt On Seatpost Clamps (38.5mm - Black)
    • WTB Volt Steel Saddle
    • Shimano Deore #SL-M6100-IR Shifter (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • Shimano Deore #RD-M6100-SGS Shadow RD+ Rear Derailleur
    • Shimano Deore #CN-M6100-1 Chain
    • Shimano Deore #CS-M6100-12 12 speed Cassette 10/51T MicroSpline Type
    • Shimano Deore #FC-M6120-1 Crank (Boost - 55mm Chainline) - 170mm x 30T
    • Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (Black) Large Pedals
    • Shimano Deore #BL-M6100 Brake Levers + #BR-M6120 4 Piston Calipers (with hose)
    • Avid 203mm Brake Rotors
    • Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM (180 -> 203mm adapter)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Stem (40mm x 0 Deg x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Riser Bar (780mm x 35mm Riser x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • Ergon GA3 Lock On Grips 2020
    Quick question. Did you use a spacer or not on the drive side of your BB? Im in the process of building mine and are fitting New XT. The official guidance is not to with BB92 But with boost and all that I was wondering if it was worth moving the chainring out the extra 2.5mm.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Badg3r View Post
    Quick question. Did you use a spacer or not on the drive side of your BB? Im in the process of building mine and are fitting New XT. The official guidance is not to with BB92 But with boost and all that I was wondering if it was worth moving the chainring out the extra 2.5mm.
    What bottom bracket are you using? Wheels MFG says no spacers needed when used with BB92 (between frame and bottom bracket). Nevertheless, the DEORE crank I purchased was of the boost variety (FC-M6120-1), and it says to the spacers on each side of the crank . The Shimano crank package came with 2 spacers.

    2021 Meta TR-crank.png

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    What bottom bracket are you using? Wheels MFG says no spacers needed when used with BB92 (between frame and bottom bracket). Nevertheless, the DEORE crank I purchased was of the boost variety (FC-M6120-1), and it says to the spacers on each side of the crank . The Shimano crank package came with 2 spacers.

    Iím using an XT MT800 which is supplied with one spacer. The instructions say not to use it if you run a BB92 but doesnít mention anything about if itís boost or not. Thatís what Iím unsure about. I guess as long as thereís enough chainring clearance 2.5mm is not going to make much difference!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Badg3r View Post
    Iím using an XT MT800 which is supplied with one spacer. The instructions say not to use it if you run a BB92 but doesnít mention anything about if itís boost or not. Thatís what Iím unsure about. I guess as long as thereís enough chainring clearance 2.5mm is not going to make much difference!

    What's the actual part number of your crank?

    For example - the Deore M6100 Series cranks comes in several part numbers

    FC-M6100-1 has a 172mm Q-Factor, and a 52mm chain line (non-boost) - 142mm or 148mm O.L.D.
    FC-M6120-1 has a 178mm Q-Factor, and a 55mm chain line (boost) - 148mm O.L.D.
    FC-M6130-1 has a 181mm Q-Factor, and a 56.5mm chain line (super boost) - 157mm O.L.D.
    Last edited by funks; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:19 PM.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Itís an FC-M8100 although also says below in smaller lettering, M8120/M8130. I took the plunge and put it in without the spacer. Chainring looks spot on to me so will hopefully all be ok.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    870
    I feel like Commencal misses the mark by not offering the top tier Meta TR with 4piston brakes and an ÷hlins suspension option. Also same with the AM not having the new 38 like the ebike.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I feel like Commencal misses the mark by not offering the top tier Meta TR with 4piston brakes and an ÷hlins suspension option. Also same with the AM not having the new 38 like the ebike.
    The AM has Fox 38 options. Signature has Fox 38 Factory, Essential has Fox 38 Performance.

    I kind of wish the TR had 4 piston brakes but at the same time it's technically a trail bike. I picked up some 4 piston SLX calipers for my TR but really don't think I would be hindered much by 2 piston. Cheap upgrade especially when you factor in being able to sell the old calipers.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    870
    I know the AM has 38s and 4 piston brakes. Seeings how Commencal Canada is based in Squamish BC Iíd figure their trail bikes would be specíed as such. Have a creaky 36 on my Surface29 to go along with Saint brakes and another on my G16. Ready to move on past
    FAUX. Not really looking to purchase an entire bike to strip it minus the drivetrain. Will look at the a la carte frame only options instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    The AM has Fox 38 options. Signature has Fox 38 Factory, Essential has Fox 38 Performance.

    I kind of wish the TR had 4 piston brakes but at the same time it's technically a trail bike. I picked up some 4 piston SLX calipers for my TR but really don't think I would be hindered much by 2 piston. Cheap upgrade especially when you factor in being able to sell the old calipers.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    For anybody thinking about pairing the Meta TR frame with the Shimano Deore BR-M6100 (2-piston), BR-M6120 (4-piston) cailpers - i'd say pick the SLX BR-M7100 (2-piston), or the BR-M7120 (4-piston) calipers on the rear instead due to the way the the hose is routed through the chain stays. The DEORE caliper has a straight through design instead of a banjo (like on the SLX) so it can't be rotated down for a better angle. With the way the hose is currently routed, I have to use a tie to prevent the hose from hitting the wheel spokes.

    No problems with the front caliper though. Replacing the rear caliper on mine with a BR-7120 (as the banjo allows for rotation for better routing) but keeping the Deore (BL-M6100) levers (which is compatible with the SLX and XT brake calipers).


  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Been riding the 2021 Meta AM Team for a few weeks with first ride review on our YT channel. have the TR frame coming soon. Anxious to get it built up and comparing it to the AM.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1

    TR vs AM

    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Been riding the 2021 Meta AM Team for a few weeks with first ride review on our YT channel. have the TR frame coming soon. Anxious to get it built up and comparing it to the AM.
    Would be really interested the comparison between TR/AM, im pretty set on placing the order just not sure which to go. We ride a bit of Trail but I love bombing the gravity. Currently riding a Trek Remedy but need more bike now and stability at speed and jumps. Most gravity we probably hit 40-45kmh. But don't want to much of a tank at the other end when we do ride some trail.
    The TR being a "mini enduro" might be a good compromise but the AM doesn't seem to much more of a step up from TR going by the specs and would be limitless for my ability on the gravity.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Newyride View Post
    Would be really interested the comparison between TR/AM, im pretty set on placing the order just not sure which to go. We ride a bit of Trail but I love bombing the gravity. Currently riding a Trek Remedy but need more bike now and stability at speed and jumps. Most gravity we probably hit 40-45kmh. But don't want to much of a tank at the other end when we do ride some trail.
    The TR being a "mini enduro" might be a good compromise but the AM doesn't seem to much more of a step up from TR going by the specs and would be limitless for my ability on the gravity.
    We just received out polished TR frame yesterday and it is beautiful. I am betting the TR will be a great all around bike as the geo is very aggressive. The Meta AM is a beast on the downs but don't think I would want to do big days in the saddle on it. Hoping the TR is a great do all shred rig. Check out our review on YouTube and other content. Straight Line MTB on YT

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    For anybody that weighs 220 lbs geared up - i'd say avoid the Fox Float DPS for this bike. You literally have to set the Air Pressure to 285 psi to get the right sag.

    Replaced it with the Manitou Mara Pro, additionally replaced the Deore M61XX Brake Set (4-piston) with the SLX M71XX Brake Set (4-piston) primary due to the rear hose routing. The SLX has a Banjo setup so you can rotate it for better routing. The Straight hose routing on the Deore made the hose too close to the spokes for my liking.

    Final build came out like the following


    • Commencal 2021 Meta TR Frame (Large)
    • Cane Creek 40 Series Headset - ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40
    • Wheels Mfg BB86/92 for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks Bottom Bracket #BB86-OUT-BB (Thread Together Press Fit BB)
    • Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Front Fork (150mm Travel, Boost, 44mm Offset)
    • Manitou Mara Pro Rear Shock (210x55)
    • Commencal Alpha 20x10mm Shock Mounting Hardware
    • Nukeproof Neutron V2 Wheelset (Boost, MicroSpline)
    • Maxxis Minion DHR-II Tires (29er - 2.4 inch width)
    • Shimano SL-MT500-IL Dropper Post Lever (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • PNW Bachelor Solo Dropper Post (34.9mm width x 170mm travel)
    • Hope Bolt On Seatpost Clamps (38.5mm - Black)
    • WTB Volt Steel Saddle
    • Shimano Deore #SL-M6100-IR Shifter (I-Spec EV Mount)
    • Shimano Deore #RD-M6100-SGS Shadow RD+ Rear Derailleur
    • Shimano Deore #CN-M6100-1 Chain
    • Shimano Deore #CS-M6100-12 12 speed Cassette 10/51T MicroSpline Type
    • Shimano Deore #FC-M6120-1 Crank (Boost - 55mm Chainline) - 170mm x 30T
    • Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (Black) Large Pedals
    • Shimano SLX #BL-M7100 Brake Levers + #BR-M7120 4 Piston Calipers
    • Avid 203mm Brake Rotors
    • Shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM (180 -> 203mm adapter)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Stem (40mm x 0 Deg x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • RaceFace Chester 35 Riser Bar (780mm x 35mm Riser x 35mm Bar Clamp)
    • Ergon GA3 Lock On Grips 2020


    2021 Meta TR-img-6936.jpg

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    237
    Build Specs :

    TR Large Fox DPX2 .6 Spacer Med. Compression Tune 3 clicks LSC
    Pike @160 Smashpot Coil Conversion
    Reynolds Black Label Enduro Front Wheel I9 Torch Maxis DHF 2.5 WT EXO
    Santa Cruz Reserve Rear I9 Torch Maxxis Dissector 2.4 WT EXO
    Raceface Turbine 170 Cranks Wolftooth Oval
    SRAM GX 11 speed Drivetrain, 1195 Casette
    Bike Yoke Revive 185 Dropper
    Shimano XT Brakes 203mm Rotors

    I'm about 190 loaded:

    Trail 245 PSI
    Park 260 PSI

    I've had the bike for over a month and have logged 25 or more rides on varying terrain as well as a bike park visit.This is Goldilocks geometry for me as I have long femurs and a resulting long inseam for my height. I live in BC and ride a lot of slow technical trails and the bike is surprising nimble. The rear suspension is impressive with the DPX2. I run it wide open. Very few pedals strikes. The bike seems very efficient to me climbing. Cheers J

Similar Threads

  1. New Commencal Meta Power 29 and Meta Power SX
    By honkinunit in forum E-Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM
  2. Commencal Meta TR 4.2 tyre clearance
    By DannyvG in forum Commencal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM
  3. Meta V4.2 TR or AM?
    By RockyMntMonkey in forum Commencal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 02:20 PM
  5. Meta am 650b 2015 or 2013 meta am1 ??
    By cpgr in forum Commencal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 03:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 249

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.