Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15

    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29

    Looking to pull the trigger on a new bike, and fell in love with this bike. What are your thoughts? Havenít really seen any discussions on it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20
    I think it'll be a ripper. I'm also strongly considering the TR 29er as my next bike, just waiting on 1. launch 2. some press reviews. I just wish a full build came in that sick brushed aluminum color!!

    For me it's this, or Transition. Both appear to have the qualities I'm looking for which is agile, fun, and responsive.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    588
    I'm pretty interested in a TR2 29 too. Seems like it ticks all the boxes for me. I'm considering a frame up or the Race build. I'm curious if the parts spec is accurate as the Trail build and Race build both have NX drivetrain, hoping it's a misprint and it has GX.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    The TR 29 is a bike I'm considering along with the Jeffsy and Whyte S-150.
    I really dig the Ride build color scheme, but the build is kind of weak. I'd emailed Commencal USA asking if the TR 29 would be part of the "A La Carte" program, and they said yes. They'll get frames in October for custom builds, they weren't clear on which color ways or more details.
    One the fence with building and buying built, could move 25% my stuff off my current 29er, but also would be nice to have something new and shiny.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    The TR 29 is a bike I'm considering along with the Jeffsy and Whyte S-150.
    I really dig the Ride build color scheme, but the build is kind of weak. I'd emailed Commencal USA asking if the TR 29 would be part of the "A La Carte" program, and they said yes. They'll get frames in October for custom builds, they weren't clear on which color ways or more details.
    One the fence with building and buying built, could move 25% my stuff off my current 29er, but also would be nice to have something new and shiny.
    Man, on the contrary I feel like for the price youíre getting a really good build. What about it do you think is weak? I canít seem to find another bike at this level/price point with awesome components. Excuse my ignorance.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GBDiaz View Post
    Man, on the contrary I feel like for the price youíre getting a really good build. What about it do you think is weak? I canít seem to find another bike at this level/price point with awesome components. Excuse my ignorance.
    I think the build is decent on the Ride, but what I'm looking for is a solid fork/shock at this price point, the Jeffsy AL Comp is the same $ and has a Pike/Monarch. The S-150 S is also the same $ and comes with full GX build but lower quality suspension.
    IMO drivetrain wears and breaks which are replaceable, but the suspension tends to last longer.
    My $0.02 is you get a little more from YT and Whyte currently for roughly the same price.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Iím looking at the British Edition, though. At the same price as the 2018 Whyte S-150 RS. Only benefit in my eyes to the Whyte is the carbon frame and being able to run both 29 and 27.5+. Other than that, the Meta BE comes with Fox factory suspension, Eagle GX drivetrain, renthal cockpit, E13 TRS Wheelset, etc. Whyte is using a lot of in house parts.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    I think the build is decent on the Ride, but what I'm looking for is a solid fork/shock at this price point, the Jeffsy AL Comp is the same $ and has a Pike/Monarch. The S-150 S is also the same $ and comes with full GX build but lower quality suspension.
    IMO drivetrain wears and breaks which are replaceable, but the suspension tends to last longer.
    My $0.02 is you get a little more from YT and Whyte currently for roughly the same price.
    Iím looking at the British Edition, though. At the same price as the 2018 Whyte S-150 RS. Only benefit in my eyes to the Whyte is the carbon frame and being able to run both 29 and 27.5+. Other than that, the Meta BE comes with Fox factory suspension, Eagle GX drivetrain, renthal cockpit, E13 TRS Wheelset, etc. Whyte is using a lot of in house parts.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GBDiaz View Post
    Iím looking at the British Edition, though. At the same price as the 2018 Whyte S-150 RS. Only benefit in my eyes to the Whyte is the carbon frame and being able to run both 29 and 27.5+. Other than that, the Meta BE comes with Fox factory suspension, Eagle GX drivetrain, renthal cockpit, E13 TRS Wheelset, etc. Whyte is using a lot of in house parts.
    Between the BE and RS, the BE is a better build... IMO

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    Between the BE and RS, the BE is a better build... IMO
    Right on. I think Iím gonna end up with the BE. Iím psyched about that bike. Good luck on your choice, let me know what you end up with!!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GBDiaz View Post
    Right on. I think Iím gonna end up with the BE. Iím psyched about that bike. Good luck on your choice, let me know what you end up with!!
    Leaning more towards building; aluminum raw frame with Pike/Monarch & E13 wheels, take my M8000 drivetrain and brakes off my current bike, and finish it with Raceface cockpit/dropper

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    The TR 29 is a bike I'm considering along with the Jeffsy and Whyte S-150.
    I really dig the Ride build color scheme, but the build is kind of weak. I'd emailed Commencal USA asking if the TR 29 would be part of the "A La Carte" program, and they said yes. They'll get frames in October for custom builds, they weren't clear on which color ways or more details.
    One the fence with building and buying built, could move 25% my stuff off my current 29er, but also would be nice to have something new and shiny.
    Nice! A La Carte looks like it ends up being pretty $$$ to build, judging by the A La Carte options for the other frames. I'd love a brushed aluminum color but my budget maxes out at ~$3k.

    Do you think the A La Carte TR 29er will exceed my budget?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Nice! A La Carte looks like it ends up being pretty $$$ to build, judging by the A La Carte options for the other frames. I'd love a brushed aluminum color but my budget maxes out at ~$3k.

    Do you think the A La Carte TR 29er will exceed my budget?
    Just depends on what Commencal is looking to offer within the A La Carte program, you could call/email and ask them if they could do a "Ride Build" just with a Raw Aluminum frame rather than the Grey/Gold and see what they say.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15
    I have the Whyte S-150 RS and love it. Really well made bike. I too am looking at the British edition. It has a killer suspension set up and looks amazing.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    203
    I'm interested in this bike as well. The geometry is kind of funky though on the website. The geo chart lists the fork length (A-C) as that of a 130mm Pike. None of the bikes come with a 130mm fork. No frame weight is listed either. I talked to someone at Commencal on the phone about this, as I'd like to do a frame up build, and he said the bike takes a 130-150mm fork but he wasn't sure what measurements the geo was done on. They didn't know what the frame weight is.

    I'm for sure interested in the bike, just would like to know more info before I put money into a frame. Especially since its a consumer direct brand that I won't be able to demo.
    Patrick

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Want some reviews of the bike also, know the TR27 was a success, but making everything a littler larger to accommodate 29er wheels doesn't always make everything apples to apples.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    Want some reviews of the bike also, know the TR27 was a success, but making everything a littler larger to accommodate 29er wheels doesn't always make everything apples to apples.
    Any chance that some of these sites will get the bike before itís released to test/review? How do you think itíll perform? Iím super psyched about this thing. The kit looks phenomenal.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GBDiaz View Post
    Any chance that some of these sites will get the bike before itís released to test/review? How do you think itíll perform? Iím super psyched about this thing. The kit looks phenomenal.
    Sure hope we get some reviews before the bike drops in October. People have been testing the Meta AM 29 already its also won a bunch of races already too. Seems odd they wouldn't offer the TR with the AM to testers seeing how aggressive all these manufactures have been in the "Trail" market.
    My 2 cents, if its as good as the current TR 27 and just a shorter travel version of the AM it should be excellent.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Anyone seen on the Commencal site, the "Availability" has now been pushed to December.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    588
    I noticed it's changed a few times recently, always farther out.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    I was also pretty interested to buy this bike but the availability is too long. I think that I will (saddly) wait January for the new Jeffsy.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobi View Post
    I was also pretty interested to buy this bike but the availability is too long. I think that I will (saddly) wait January for the new Jeffsy.
    Current Jeffsey has a pretty hefty sale as of today. I donít mind waiting till Dec for the Commencal. Itís got what I want.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    The weight information has been released by Commencal : 14,8 kg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobi View Post
    The weight information has been released by Commencal : 14,8 kg
    Glad I decided to go in a different direction (didn't want to wait until December for a new bike). That's over 32lbs, my alloy Fuel EX build that I didn't really try to make light 30.1lbs. I think the Commencal would've been just a bit too long in the wheelbase for my liking anyways. Does look like I sweet bike though.
    Patrick

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    They doing a revamp of the Jeffsy? Haven't read or seen much about that...
    They're blowing out the 2018's, $2500 is a killer price for the AL Comp Jeffsy!
    I can wait for a Commencal, and I think I can get closer to 30lbs doing a custom build.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3
    It's possible to gain some weight I think:
    • Cassette : XG-1275 : -200g or XG-1295 : -300g
    • Crankset : X01 or XX1 : - 100 g
    • Go tubeless : - 300 g ?
    • Go carbon for the stem : - 100 g


    I just tested the Spe Stumpjumper ST Expert 29 and the Trek Fuel EX 9.8 2019 but it's not the same price...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    588
    I didn't think the weight was too high considering the parts spec'd. There isn't anything fancy on it, all middle of the road or budget. I have a Chromag Surface that weighs about 31 pounds as a single speed, so 32 for full suspension and gears wouldn't bother me.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobi View Post
    It's possible to gain some weight I think:
    • Cassette : XG-1275 : -200g or XG-1295 : -300g
    • Crankset : X01 or XX1 : - 100 g
    • Go tubeless : - 300 g ?
    • Go carbon for the stem : - 100 g


    I just tested the Spe Stumpjumper ST Expert 29 and the Trek Fuel EX 9.8 2019 but it's not the same price...
    That's a start... IMO the 36 is a bit excessive, close to a pound can be saved going with a 34 also. And I like the Elite Performance over the Factory, also can save additional $$$. Wheels will also be a factor. So much to consider, but also so much more fun building than buying off the shelf/web.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Emailed them twice asking for some info about the frame and haven't gotten a reply in over a week. For direct sales that very disappointing.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by cazman72 View Post
    Emailed them twice asking for some info about the frame and haven't gotten a reply in over a week. For direct sales that very disappointing.
    Thatís odd! I always receive very quick replies. Are you in the US?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Yeah, I'm in the US. I used the Need Help form from the frame page so I'll try emailing them directly.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    When are we going to actually going to get some reviews of this bike... If it's still going to release in December shouldn't testers have already ridden it? They announced the bike close to 6 months ago.
    The way Evil dropped the Offering is an example of how competitive this trail segment is. Everyone has a 130-140 travel bike now, so selling units comes down to marketing if you don't have repeat customers only interested in your brand. What better way to get free marketing than by having tester test the bikes.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    2 weeks and finally got a response.
    Frame weight - Unknown until they receive the frames
    Tires - Will fit a 2.6

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by cazman72 View Post
    2 weeks and finally got a response.
    Frame weight - Unknown until they receive the frames
    Did they give you any hints when bikes are going to show up in US?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Did they give you any hints when bikes are going to show up in US?
    Nope, what I wrote is all they said in the reply I received.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    I've been eyeing this to replace my '18 Fuel EX. I noticed that they offer the frame with both 210x50mm and 210x55mm shocks. I shot them an email asking whether the frame actually is compatible with a 55mm stroke, or if that listing was a mistake:

    "The frame has been developed around a 210 x 50 mm shock, but the 210 x 55 is compatible as well."

    So, one could use a 55mm stroke shock and achieve ~140mm of travel.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    I noticed that too when on the Euro site but I'm not seeing a shock selection on the US site

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni L View Post
    I've been eyeing this to replace my '18 Fuel EX. I noticed that they offer the frame with both 210x50mm and 210x55mm shocks. I shot them an email asking whether the frame actually is compatible with a 55mm stroke, or if that listing was a mistake:

    "The frame has been developed around a 210 x 50 mm shock, but the 210 x 55 is compatible as well."

    So, one could use a 55mm stroke shock and achieve ~140mm of travel.
    That's kind of cool... Wonder if anyone would run a coil shock... Would give it a more aggressive look and completely different feel.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    Ended up going with the Commencal Meta Trail V4.2 Race. A couple reviews came out in the last 2 months that rave about this bike. Suits my local terrain more, quite a bit cheaper (including my military discount), and Iíll be getting the bike way sooner. Iíll keep you guys posted! Thanks to everyone for your contribution and info!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    I'm in the Air Force. How would I get a military discount?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    15
    It only applies to some of the bikes. Call with the bike youíre interested in and ask if they can apply the military discount to it! They will tell you how to go about the process! Good luck.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    63
    Spoke with them this morning about shipping timeframes for 2019 bikes - they have no idea. Apparently bikes haven't even left the port, so late December is probably earliest they will show up in US

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    I just preordered the frameset (XL, brushed). Building it with DVO Topaz
    @ 55mm stroke & Diamond @ 150mm. Gonna be sweet!

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Anyone else think the reach numbers they posted are way off?

    Answered my own question. Seem pretty inline with modern aggressive 29ers like the Sentinel.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni L View Post
    I just preordered the frameset (XL, brushed). Building it with DVO Topaz
    @ 55mm stroke & Diamond @ 150mm. Gonna be sweet!
    Sounds like a pretty sweet setup!
    I'll need an XL also, and the Brushed is the best looking with the Grey/Gold in close 2nd. So annoying that they don't have an ETA on anything from the mothership.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20
    I'm checking them out on a la carte, and it looks like they're not charging for Fox forks and shocks? Surely this is a mistake on their site. If I put in the order, do you think they would honor it?

    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-capture.jpg

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni L View Post
    I just preordered the frameset (XL, brushed). Building it with DVO Topaz
    @ 55mm stroke & Diamond @ 150mm. Gonna be sweet!
    I picked up a Topaz for my build as well.
    What mounting hardware are you going to use?
    I couldn't find the size listed in the specs on the DVO site.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by cazman72 View Post
    I picked up a Topaz for my build as well.
    What mounting hardware are you going to use?
    I couldn't find the size listed in the specs on the DVO site.
    Their euro site says:

    SHOCK BUSHINGS 20x10 mm

    Sooo, I went with that. I ordered the hardware together with the frame through Commencal's webstore. If you mean the eyelet diameter, that's 12.7mm so the same as Fox, RS etc.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    56
    Was talking about the bushings. I'll order them from the Commercial store also.
    Just a bit concerned since this size isn't one I found when looking for it among all the other sizes DVO offers.

Similar Threads

  1. Commencal Meta HT 2019 VS Nukeproof Scout 2018
    By samjh50 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2018, 02:37 AM
  2. 2019 British Columbia Bike Race-Roll Call
    By Rocket88R in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 03:06 PM
  3. stump jumper 2019 expert or SC Bronson v3 s 2019
    By coming_in_hot in forum 27.5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM
  4. The British are Coming, the British are Coming!
    By Snake Muesl in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 11:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 174

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.