2019 Meta TR British Edition 29 - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    nice!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Commencal must have gotten wind because the price just jumped $200.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    Commencal must have gotten wind because the price just jumped $200.
    Someone else noticed! I've been watching them adjust the prices and specs of their bikes for a while now

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by querynotfound View Post
    Someone else noticed! I've been watching them adjust the prices and specs of their bikes for a while now
    I have been trying to keep up with them as well. I dont think there was a spec change for the price change this time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I know for the Meta AM and Clash essential fox builds they downgraded the forks from Performance Elites to Performance. They also downgraded some of the chains, but that's not a huge deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm struggling a little bit to get the fork setup the way I want. It just doesn't feel as plush as it should. I've been all over with settings and the closest I've come so far is having 55 psi with 1 volume spacer. I just changed to 50 psi with 2 volume spacers to see how that feels, but if it's still too harsh I'm going to be a little annoyed.

I've thought about changing the fork to 160mm to take some of the sting out of bigger hits and braking bumps. The max axle to crown measurement per Commencal is 561mm. Fox lists the axle to crown at 150mm travel as 557 +/- 5mm. Going to 160mm travel would make that 567mm. Realistically, is there any reason that this wouldn't be alright even though it's slightly outside of the recommended range?

...Or will a Luftkappe upgrade net the same effect?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm struggling a little bit to get the fork setup the way I want. It just doesn't feel as plush as it should. I've been all over with settings and the closest I've come so far is having 55 psi with 1 volume spacer. I just changed to 50 psi with 2 volume spacers to see how that feels, but if it's still too harsh I'm going to be a little annoyed.

I've thought about changing the fork to 160mm to take some of the sting out of bigger hits and braking bumps. The max axle to crown measurement per Commencal is 561mm. Fox lists the axle to crown at 150mm travel as 557 +/- 5mm. Going to 160mm travel would make that 567mm. Realistically, is there any reason that this wouldn't be alright even though it's slightly outside of the recommended range?

which fork are you on? By all accounts the GRIP2 is the best thing out there.

mtbr member

I don't think a 10mm increase in travel will help all that much with harshness. Adding a token like you have, lowering pressure, and maybe backing off HSC compression a bit might help if you're getting beat up on big stuff and not using all your travel. You might want to speed up your HSR as well? I agree that the Grip2 is a bit of a minefield during setup. I haven't even gotten enough ride time to figure mine out.

Check out The Lost Co. on Youtube. They have a great Grip2 setup video. Also the recommended setting configuration that Pivot and Yeti have on their websites are pretty good for getting a baseline of settings.
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dhengen View Post
    which fork are you on? By all accounts the GRIP2 is the best thing out there.
    British Edition, so 2019 Factory 36 Grip 2.

That's why I'm a little annoyed by the lack of sensitivity from the fork. There are actually quite a few people that are saying it's a bit harsh, myself included. I'm thinking that I'll go with the Luftkappe and SKF green seals rather than bumping to 160mm. I have a pretty good handle on suspension tuning, but this one has me confused.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how to people find the ESTA on this bike? anyone measured at full extension with an angle finder?
    does it feel as steep as the stated 76.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    how to people find the ESTA on this bike? anyone measured at full extension with an angle finder?
    does it feel as steep as the stated 76.5
    Hey, I'm 6'2.5" with 35" in-seam and was worried about the ESTA being alot slacker that 76.5. I haven't measured the seat angle, but I compared it to my Bronson with a stated 74 seat tube angle. The centre of the seat post at full extension is 1.5" further forward to the bottom bracket than on my Bronson, so it's definitely got me further forward. I still have room to slam the rails forward if I want, but for now I've matched the seatpost centre distance to handlebars to match my Bronson so it should feel the same when I'm seat and pedalling, but now my hips are further over the bottom bracket than before.

mtbr member
    British Edition, so 2019 Factory 36 Grip 2.

That's why I'm a little annoyed by the lack of sensitivity from the fork. There are actually quite a few people that are saying it's a bit harsh, myself included. I'm thinking that I'll go with the Luftkappe and SKF green seals rather than bumping to 160mm. I have a pretty good handle on suspension tuning, but this one has me confused.
    What's your weight? I'm about 180 geared and started with mine at 50psi. It had one token but I just took it out and put a ramp control cartridge in. I was talking to a friend whom has more time on the grip2 and he stated that on the compression side he runs very little low speed, and even less high speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey i finished my build and had a first ride on my local trails. Build it up with a 150mm pike, 55mm super deluxe, zee brakes, gx shifting, flow ex/hope/superstar conponents wheels, maxxis dhf/agressor tires and a renthal cockpit.

I am 193cm and the XL fits perfekt.

Im super happy with the bike, really confident on the trail from the beginning. Pedaling up the hill did feel good (coming from a Nicolai Ion 16).

Only thing that inhahe to get used to is my heels sometimes touching the rear end.

And i cannot fit a 600ml waterbottle in the frame because of the super deluxe. Has anyone an idea how to move the bottle cage more to the bottom bracket? There would be enough room.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    What's your weight? I'm about 180 geared and started with mine at 50psi. It had one token but I just took it out and put a ramp control cartridge in. I was talking to a friend whom has more time on the grip2 and he stated that on the compression side he runs very little low speed, and even less high speed.
    I'm about 190 geared up and I ride light for my weight. Below are the settings for my last ride:

50 psi
    2 tokens
    HSC - 12
    LSC - 6
    HSR - 5
    LSR - 7
    (all from fully closed)

The fork felt much better. My only complaint at the moment is lack of sensitivity to initiate travel. It's a bit harsh on light chatter, but much better than before in heavy braking bumps.

I just ordered the Luftkappe. I'm thinking that should fix the rest of my issues.

mtbr member
    Good to hear you made some progress. Do you find the fork starts diving too much if you backed out compression even more? Curious to hear your thoughts on the Luftkappe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good to hear you made some progress. Do you find the fork starts diving too much if you backed out compression even more? Curious to hear your thoughts on the Luftkappe.
    Having only 50 psi in the fork really makes tuning the mid stroke difficult as you don't have as much margin for error with higher sag numbers. I have a decent amount of LSC dialed in to keep it riding higher under small bumps and less HSC to make bigger impacts softer. I'm hoping the Luftkappe will allow me to run slightly higher in the travel and be more supple in the initial stroke so that I have more room to tune the HSC/LSC adjustments. I will definitely have an update after a few rides on the new air piston.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    As mentioned before, this bike wants to go fast downhill. At the beginning of my descent on the Meta I was a bit nervous, but my confidence kept progressing as I kept going down. The bike just kept eating up the trail, it wanted to keep going faster and faster.
    I get the impression that Commencal don't know how to build a bike that isn't a monster going down hill.

mtbr member
    Having only 50 psi in the fork really makes tuning the mid stroke difficult as you don't have as much margin for error with higher sag numbers. I have a decent amount of LSC dialed in to keep it riding higher under small bumps and less HSC to make bigger impacts softer. I'm hoping the Luftkappe will allow me to run slightly higher in the travel and be more supple in the initial stroke so that I have more room to tune the HSC/LSC adjustments. I will definitely have an update after a few rides on the new air piston.
    I see, it sounds to me like you're experiencing the harshness from the compression circuit so maybe the piston kit will make up for a bit of that. I'm going to try your settings tomorrow and see what mine does. All in it doesn't sound typical of a Fox fork. I've had a bunch of Rc2s and a Fit4 and they have always been butter.

mtbr member
    Re mid stroke support:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-...on-Design,2512

I've been really interested in this mod, but want to get more time on the grip2 before making such a big change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Re mid stroke support:

I've been really interested in this mod, but want to get more time on the grip2 before making such a big change.
    Interesting. That's the first time I've seen that. Looks like it could be a very useful mod.

I'm with you though. I think I'm close to having mine dialed at this point. We'll have to see how it is after the Luftkappe. If I'm still not satisfied I might give this a try.

mtbr member
    Re mid stroke support:

Interesting to say the least.. I'm feeling pretty happy with my fork, I hit some chunky trails yesterday and it was doing its job well. This was first ride after installing the MRP ramp control cartridge. I played around with that a bit and settled on having it at set 5 clicks in which I think should be something like 2ish spacers? It's real nice to be able to dial in the progression on the spot. Also really enjoying the TR, its a certified shredder. I have yet to feel under-biked and it's a treat on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anybody know what would be max insertion depth on the seatube?
    I'm wondering what length dropper I could fit on a medium frame - 150mm vs 170mm OneUp dropper (I have very long legs...). Thanks!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL-B View Post
    I'm wondering what length dropper I could fit on a medium frame - 150mm vs 170mm OneUp dropper (I have very long legs...). Thanks!

I can get some numbers for you tomorrow. Have a 150mm One Up in my medium frame.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Anyone seen Commencal IG, another "Bike of the Year".

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I can get some numbers for you tomorrow. Have a 150mm One Up in my medium frame.
    Thanks, it's much appreciated, especially if you have this exact set up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Dear all, long time only reader, now I post if I can help.
    I have a medium frame base model 2019 TR, and I'm using the 170mm OneUp dropper. Completely inserted, the exposed part is 47mm, giving roughly 255mm from collar to saddle rail. This is the absolute maximum insertion for the 170mm, since if I try to insert it even lower, the actuator get jammed in the seat tube, and the cable get stuck. Luckily, this height is perfect for me when pedalling, and insanely low during downhill.
    Hope I could help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_3006-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeritius View Post
    Dear all, long time only reader, now I post if I can help.
    I have a medium frame base model 2019 TR, and I'm using the 170mm OneUp dropper. Completely inserted, the exposed part is 47mm, giving roughly 255mm from collar to saddle rail. This is the absolute maximum insertion for the 170mm, since if I try to insert it even lower, the actuator get jammed in the seat tube, and the cable get stuck. Luckily, this height is perfect for me when pedalling, and insanely low during downhill.
    Hope I could help.
    That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't think I'd have such a precise answer - thanks so much!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't think I'd have such a precise answer - thanks so much!
    Beat me to it.

My 150mm post has 56mm exposed, and would let me drop it only about 5-6mm before the cable/actuator started having problems.

If you weren't sure, I was going to suggest getting the 170mm post anyhow, and shimming it down to whatever was needed. Did that with this post on my prior 2016 Meta AM frame - 150 and it would not place nicely with the main pivot bits and entry hole. 140 and it worked just fine.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What do you guys think of putting 160 fork on it?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also I'm in a market for a 150 or 160 fork if anyone is selling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artem View Post
    What do you guys think of putting 160 fork on it?

It exceeds what they list as the max length but I don't think its that big of a deal. I don't think you would be able to notice the difference either way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For those that are still interested in tuning the Fox 36, below are my most recent settings:

58 psi
    2 tokens
    Luftkappe
    HSC - 14
    LSC - 12
    HSR - 3
    LSR - 7
    (all from fully closed)

Settings are spot on and I'm sure the fork will only feel better the more I ride it and it breaks in. Don't feel the need to go to 160mm anymore. The Luftkappe made the most dramatic change to the feel of the fork. It's much softer off the top and mid-stroke feels much better as well. Well worth the money IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hello guys!

Last stages of a bike decision.

Is it just me speclist on some of the models abit wierd?

META TRAIL 29 RACE and META TRAIL 29 ESSENTIAL
    The race is 200 more, and has NX, but the ESSENTIAL got GX?
    The all mountain 29 got piggyback dpx at essential spec on same price, trail 29 only dps.

700 up from ESSENTIAL til BR, dpx2 shock, grip 2 cartridge and XT brakes. thats quite a good upgrade for the money right?

mtbr member
    I agree the Essential vs. the Race are a bit mixed up part spec wise. On a budget I would probably go for the Essential and upgrade later as needed. Otherwise I would skip the race and just go for the British Edition. You're getting a factory fork/shock, better wheels, better seat, and better bars/stem at that level.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Anyone have some more time on the bike and how it climbs?? Currently cross shopping with an ibis ripmo, but wouldn't mind saving some money with the commencal and upgrading my dh bike too. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Anyone have some more time on the bike and how it climbs?? Currently cross shopping with an ibis ripmo, but wouldn't mind saving some money with the commencal and upgrading my dh bike too. Thanks!!
    Climbs like a goat, descends like a demon! LOL

mtbr member
    What he said, no complaints here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Hey! I've got about 200km's on the bike now. I'm coming off a 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson. The biggest negative thing I've noticed is that I'm getting more pedal strikes than before for sure. I'm having to adjust my pedaling style for that. The weight is noticeable, but I knew what I was getting when I ordered it. The steeper seat angle is positively noticeable and puts me in a better position. Unless I'm climbing fire road, I leave the shock fully open. Lastly, I've been surprised at how easy the bike is to get around corners. It's over 50mm longer than my Bronson, but I feel like I can get around turns easier.

We just got back from a sweet road trip where I got to ride in Squamish, Sunshine Coast, Bellingham and Sandy Ridge (Oregon). So a variety of terrain and the bike was great!

mtbr member
    We just got back from a sweet road trip where I got to ride in Squamish, Sunshine Coast, Bellingham and Sandy Ridge (Oregon). So a variety of terrain and the bike was great!
    Nice! I'll be hitting Bellingham, North Shore, Coast Gravity, Squamish, and Whistler Bike Park on my British Edition in July. Glad to hear it handled all that stuff well, though I figured it would. Also, I totally agree with your assessment of the bike. I found that running 170 cranks and nothing above 30% sag helped with the pedal strikes fwiw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Nice! I'll be hitting Bellingham, North Shore, Coast Gravity, Squamish, and Whistler Bike Park on my British Edition in July. Glad to hear it handled all that stuff well, though I figured it would. Also, I totally agree with your assessment of the bike. I found that running 170 cranks and nothing above 30% sag helped with the pedal strikes fwiw.
    Good to know, thanks! I'm a big guy and have struggled to get enough pressure to get sag where I want it due to my 300psi shock pump. Need something that can go a bit higher so I can run closer to 25% sag. Would rather not spend more money on a new bike to get shorter cranks, but it's a good point and something I'll keep in mind if it continues to be an issue. Where I live and ride mostly is reasonably techy, so I'll find out as the snow melts around here and trails open up.

mtbr member
    Was that you at Sandy a few weeks ago? I was chatting with some people at the bridge before lower hide and seek and saw someone else on a TR. I smacked a tree hard that day and haven't been back yet. There was still a bit of snow at the top then too. Should be primo this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Was that you at Sandy a few weeks ago? I was chatting with some people at the bridge before lower hide and seek and saw someone else on a TR. I smacked a tree hard that day and haven't been back yet. There was still a bit of snow at the top then too. Should be primo this weekend.
    I was there just last week, sounds like someone else. We were riding all the way from the top - no snow at all. Was super fun

mtbr member
    I was there just last week, sounds like someone else. We were riding all the way from the top - no snow at all. Was super fun
    Good to hear, guess what i'm doing tomorrow AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hey guys, really want to pull the trigger on a brushed meta tr 29 in XL. However, I cant find a good, side on image of an XL. I just want to see the profile of the XL as I know the older meta's had a very high seat tube on the XL that made it look a bit of gate. If anyone could post one that would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ritathecat View Post
    Hey guys, really want to pull the trigger on a brushed meta tr 29 in XL. However, I cant find a good, side on image of an XL. I just want to see the profile of the XL as I know the older meta's had a very high seat tube on the XL that made it look a bit of gate. If anyone could post one that would be awesome.
    here ya go

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_1642-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks so much. It looks much better than the old one to me. Its the same height as my v3 xl nomad. Will it take a 170 post slammed? Also what height are you and how do you find the reach?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ritathecat View Post
    Thanks so much. It looks much better than the old one to me. Its the same height as my v3 xl nomad. Will it take a 170 post slammed? Also what height are you and how do you find the reach?
    I have a 35" in-seam (6'2.5" tall) and that's a 175mm seat-post. There is about 70mm of exposed tube. I'm not sure if you could slam the seat-post, but my guess is they wouldn't sell the bike with that seat-post and not be able to slam it?

As for fit, it's surprisingly similar to my '15 XL Bronson when seated pedalling. Even with the increased reach, the steeper seat angle has me almost the exact same butt-hands distance (a very technical term!). So far the increased reach has been a benefit in terms of bike being longer and more stable at speed. Haven't noticed any negative effects in terms of extra fatigue due to more weight being put on my arms when descending.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So close on the trigger.

Does it feel alive on flat og slow trails or does it need some speed to wake up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skjelven View Post
    So close on the trigger.

Does it feel alive on flat og slow trails or does it need some speed to wake up?
    The TR definitely likes to play, I've been having a blast popping it off of smaller features. While its not as bottomless feeling on heavy g-outs compared to my AM, it has a nice snap to it when you want action. I put in a big ride today at Sandy, the rear end feels dialed but I feel like I still have a little work to do on the front. Also still getting that fitness going again, it was a long beery winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Here's another XL for reference, I'd had the 170 post slammed, but it was too low. So as mentioned before, it will fit a 170 all the way down.
    I just upgraded my M785s to M8000 4 Pistons, damn these are GREAT, especially for a bigger rider.
    I'm still trying to dial in the suspension, but it loves to go fast downward. I have no regrets, it's a great bike for the price.
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_20190428_185636%7E2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks! Does the frame feel progressive?

Do you think its possible to run 2.5wt in frame?

mtbr member
    Yes, I am running a 2.5WT aggressor on a 30mm internal wheel. There's plenty of space.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's another XL for reference, I'd had the 170 post slammed, but it was too low. So as mentioned before, it will fit a 170 all the way down.
    I just upgraded my M785s to M8000 4 Pistons, damn these are GREAT, especially for a bigger rider.
    I'm still trying to dial in the suspension, but it loves to go fast downward. I have no regrets, it's a great bike for the price.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190428_185636~2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	1249052
    I'd really like to swap out to the 4 pistons. Where'd you get yours from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'd really like to swap out to the 4 pistons. Where'd you get yours from?
    I did my front in two waives; just the piston then the lever months after. I got the piston from Universal Cycles in OR (Lever from Jenson USA). My rear is a whole system from BikeTiresDirect.
    I'd check Universal Cycles and see what's available on eBay also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can anyone comment on the fork offset? Im looking at the essential fox build, but would assume the forks are in the same ballpark.

EDIT: Nevermind - found it listed as 51mm earlier in the thread
    Last edited by Necrodomis; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    this heel rub issue from the wide stays... is it an issue for any of you guys?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, I have heel rub on the chainstays. US 10.5/EU 45 shoes, running clipless. Just gonna put some protective tape over it and call it good...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm size 10 and have a bit of heel rub. I've adjusted my pedaling style and it's gone away. Frame tape too, just because

mtbr member
    I definitely leave some streaks on the seat stays but I can't say I ever notice touching them. 13US/46eur clipped in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just wanna say - you guys are all amazing and responsive answering questions about this bike. I just pulled the trigger for a brushed build in large (5'11, 30" inseam).

I can't wait! Looks like they're outta stock in brushed and the website estimates a week or so to get them back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I definitely leave some streaks on the seat stays but I can't say I ever notice touching them. 13US/46eur clipped in.
    That's a good point. I don't ever feel my heels hitting the stays. The rub marks are only noticed after the fact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jch3n View Post
    That's a good point. I don't ever feel my heels hitting the stays. The rub marks are only noticed after the fact.
    Same here. 10.5US, flats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so it happens, but doesn't really bug anyone or impact the ride. good to know.

i've got a 200mm 9.8 dropper in the wings that i would be putting on this bike, i wonder if it's got enough insertion to take it. same post on my 15 Smuggler goes balls deep and is just enough for me to get full use of the 200 drop. saddle is roadie high at full extention, which is great for climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey guys,
    So I've had my Brit Ed for a month now. Loving every minute of it. I had a few questions on setup.
    I am thinking of eeking out a bit of extra travel from the rear. And wanted to know how you experiences with longer stroke length have been?
    How does the now even lower bottom bracket affect rideability? Especially with pedalling and at bottom out.
    And could some of you repost the clearance pics. All I am seeing are broken links for images.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stairhunter View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I've had my Brit Ed for a month now. Loving every minute of it. I had a few questions on setup.
    I am thinking of eeking out a bit of extra travel from the rear. And wanted to know how you experiences with longer stroke length have been?
    How does the now even lower bottom bracket affect rideability? Especially with pedalling and at bottom out.
    And could some of you repost the clearance pics. All I am seeing are broken links for images.
    Cheers.
    The shock is the same overall length so the BB is only lower when fully compressed. There isn't any clearance issues even on hard bottom out, it feels perfectly normal to me. IMO if you were looking to upgrade from a lower end shock it's worth going with the longer shock option, but I don't think its worthwhile if you're already on a dpx2.

ps. The image links are still good try opening in a new tab.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The shock is the same overall length so the BB is only lower when fully compressed. There isn't any clearance issues even on hard bottom out, it feels perfectly normal to me. IMO if you were looking to upgrade from a lower end shock it's worth going with the longer shock option, but I don't think its worthwhile if you're already on a dpx2.

ps. The image links are still good try opening in a new tab.
    So my understanding is that there is a travel spacer which just needs to be removed on the DPX2 for me to get to the 55mm stroke. That's why i've been keen. I can take it to a suspension clinic and get it done for cheap i reckon.

Weird, links still show up as broken. tried different browsers. With chrome i get a "not authorised" message for some reason.

mtbr member
    So my understanding is that there is a travel spacer which just needs to be removed on the DPX2 for me to get to the 55mm stroke. That's why i've been keen. I can take it to a suspension clinic and get it done for cheap i reckon.

Weird, links still show up as broken. tried different browsers. With chrome i get a "not authorised" message for some reason.
    Can't confirm nor deny, haven't been inside a dpx2 yet. I uploaded the picture to different host, try this link: https://ibb.co/kGJ9rhX Like I said before though it's not a problem. Commencal themselves even stated this before when a couple of us asked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Can't confirm nor deny, haven't been inside a dpx2 yet. I uploaded the picture to different host, try this link: https://ibb.co/kGJ9rhX Like I said before though it's not a problem. Commencal themselves even stated this before when a couple of us asked.
    Thanks PhoS!
    I remember looking at a diagram in the DPX2 service manual that mentioned it. I'll post it up if i find it again.
    I'll talk to a few suspension clinics around my area to see what they say regarding this conversion. From memory, its just a piece of plastic in front of the piston.

Edit: DPX2 breakdown diagram: https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/he...LOAT-DPX2b.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Everything is great about this bike, BUT the bottle cage mount position, an inch lower would have been more ideal... I've got the Topeak alt-position showing up today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone here ridden the new Meta AM 29 along with their TR 29's? I am wondering how the AM climbs in comparison. I have the Meta AM Hardtail and when I get a full suspension I feel like my best bet is to go to a bit more travel than the TR due to my hardtail handling most stuff the TR would.

mtbr member
    Everything is great about this bike, BUT the bottle cage mount position, an inch lower would have been more ideal... I've got the Topeak alt-position showing up today.
    Cool. Never seen that product before. The fit is definitely tight with the piggy back shock so I might grab one of these as well. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    let us know how that works. i see Problem Solvers offers an adjustable version as well. i would prefer to use a full size water bottle if possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Has anyone ridden the sb130 for comparison? The geo numbers look fairly similar. The yeti is a bit longer and bit slacker but otherwise not much in it. Was thinking about an al a carte meta with x01 and some light wheels or a gx yeti...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So, any updates on the Trail29?
    I guess alot of you guys have had it out for a few hours now and can say some words regarding preformance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I guess alot of you guys have had it out for a few hours now and can say some words regarding preformance?
    Absolutely love it! It is very confidence inspiring, and it can get you out of some very sketchy situations.
    Only two minor gripes: first, bottom bracket is very low, so I end up clipping pedals a lot (my local trails are very rocky). The other is the occasional heel rub on the stays (I am a size 11). I don't notice it 90% of the time, and the other 10% it's just a little annoying. I would highly recommend putting some frame protection on the exposed stays if you want it to look nice and clean for longer.

I might get 170mm cranks (bike comes standard with 175) to alleviate both of these issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    let us know how that works. i see Problem Solvers offers an adjustable version as well. i would prefer to use a full size water bottle if possible.
    I'd try out the Problem Solver, the Topeak put the cage (cheap metal one with basic holes, not slots) too low so the bottle sits on the frame.
    The Ninja works well, because the mounting is a slot and you can fit it lower.
    I'm using the new CamelBak dirt 21oz bottle for reference.
    The Lezyne side exit works decently well also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Strava says I've got 270km, 30hrs and about 8,000m of descending on my Meta TR... So far it's been really good. I'm feeling confident on the bike - it's stable at high speeds. The fork is awesome. On all my home trails, I'm setting PR's on all descents without feeling like I'm pushing it too much or taking risks. Only in the last week or so have I really started to feel like I'm getting a proper feel for the bike (probably because I think I've got the fork dialed now - I'm slow to make changes).

It's heavier on the climbs, and I was having some pedal strikes, but I added a bit more rear shock pressure and it helped reduce strikes by about half. So far, I've very happy with the bike. It's also a great conversation starter as they are not a common brand in my local trail area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks for the good answer!

Thinking of both the british or a la carte build with lyrik rc2. I have spare dropper, brakes and bar/ stem.

Dont like the wheels on a la carte so need to get that...

Fakk, bikes i so hard

mtbr member
    Strava says I've got 270km, 30hrs and about 8,000m of descending on my Meta TR... So far it's been really good. I'm feeling confident on the bike - it's stable at high speeds. The fork is awesome. On all my home trails, I'm setting PR's on all descents without feeling like I'm pushing it too much or taking risks. Only in the last week or so have I really started to feel like I'm getting a proper feel for the bike (probably because I think I've got the fork dialed now - I'm slow to make changes).

It's heavier on the climbs, and I was having some pedal strikes, but I added a bit more rear shock pressure and it helped reduce strikes by about half. So far, I've very happy with the bike. It's also a great conversation starter as they are not a common brand in my local trail area.
    Totally agree with everything you have here. One thing I'll mention re: suspension setup is that I initially went to a bigger volume space in the dpx2, then back to the .6 spacer that comes stock, and now down to the .4 spacer. I find that the .4 spacer + a little more shock pressure (~28% sag) + a couple more clicks of LSC results in a more linear and super supportive ride and also helps minimize pedal strikes. If you rely on ramp up from a bigger spacer, I find that you tend to sit deeper in the travel most of the time, resulting in more pedal strikes. Just a tip for those inclined to puzzle over suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    "The lack of rear travel did mean we bottom it out a few times during testing, which was quite hard on the ankles. Travel or lack of it, is actually one of the questions we have unanswered with this bike it rides like a 150-160mm bike and even has that geometry, why then has Commencal limited the rear travel to 130mm?

Still, the Meta TR 29 does have great ride quality and is one of the quickest bikes in back to back testing. But we reckon it would be even better with 20mm extra rear travel. Itd go a long way to justify the increase in weight and would really compliment the performance of the Fox 36 Factory fork.

Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/commencal-meta-trail-29#VRDPl8WS4UzLr23T.99"

Do you guys agree regarding bittoming out? Offcourse its only 130 mm, but do you feel like it blow tru the travel to easy?

How annoying is the heel rub?
    Will it be a problem with jumps?

mtbr member
    "The lack of rear travel did mean we bottom it out a few times during testing, which was quite hard on the ankles. Travel or lack of it, is actually one of the questions we have unanswered with this bike it rides like a 150-160mm bike and even has that geometry, why then has Commencal limited the rear travel to 130mm?

Still, the Meta TR 29 does have great ride quality and is one of the quickest bikes in back to back testing. But we reckon it would be even better with 20mm extra rear travel. Itd go a long way to justify the increase in weight and would really compliment the performance of the Fox 36 Factory fork.

Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/commencal-meta-trail-29#VRDPl8WS4UzLr23T.99"

Do you guys agree regarding bittoming out? Offcourse its only 130 mm, but do you feel like it blow tru the travel to easy?

How annoying is the heel rub?
    Will it be a problem with jumps?
    Since I've gotten the rear suspension figured out I bottom out when I'd expect to, and I've never bottomed out super hard--actually, I've never had a full suspension bike that was "hard on my ankles", strikes me as a bit of a strange observation.

The heel rub is a minor annoyance and has no effect on jumping.

mtbr member
    Since I've gotten the rear suspension figured out I bottom out when I'd expect to, and I've never bottomed out super hard--actually, I've never had a full suspension bike that was "hard on my ankles", strikes me as a bit of a strange observation.

The heel rub is a minor annoyance and has no effect on jumping.
    Nope, no harsh bottom out observed here either. The o-ring is indicating that i'm using all of the travel on the regular. Sounds like they might have been plowing a little too hard? I had started off with a fairly slow rebound setting and have since opened it up. This cleared up most of the pedal strikes for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Trail 29 BR on my way! Thanks all for the inputs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Trail 29 BR on my way! Thanks all for the inputs!
    What happen to the A La Carte option? So much more fun tinkering...

Think Commencal nailed it with the 150/130, but I'm one person and didn't test all those other bikes in the MBR test. I am sure that new Jeffsy is GREAT, but I have heard the issues with YT customer service, and Commencal has been awesome! I emailed them a random question last week, Clay called me about 15 minutes after I hit send on the "Contact Us" page, and even after we talked he said "email me a pick" and I had another response in 15 minutes.

As mentioned by others, the travel works as it should, you want more travel get the AM, but then loose the climbing efficency, but even still its a decent climber also. I haven't bottomed out, or at least I haven't noticed. I'd ordered the Fox spacer kit if I did want to tinker. I'm still fiddling with it, which is fun.

Oh and I have healed the rear, but I then just adjust my position slightly and I'm fine. They built this bike like a tank, and it shows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Have any of you used Shockwiz to tune your suspension before?
    I am a bit inexperienced on suspension tuning, and Grip 2 does my head in. DPx2 also allows for plenty of tuning.
    This is my first high end bike.

My local shop rents them out for 100bucks for 2 weeks. Reckon it's worth it?

mtbr member
    Not really sold on it myself. Suspension is very personal so only you really know what works for you. It's easy enough to look around online to see what settings others are using and try them out. (and for free!) That 100 bux could be gas money to ride more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    @future
    Yeah, a la carte had been fun, but time was a issue, and building the bike and a sett og wheels dont fit my timeframe right now!

@stairhunter
    I have a shockwiz, god tool but it takes som runs to get in dialed, its abit fizzy on how you ride the bike. It does ask for you to hadd high speed rebound, low speed rebound and the Dpx2 dont those knobs.

For the Grip2 its more suited, but its possible to get the same results without shockwiz. I like to use it for a comformation.

mtbr member
    Have any of you used Shockwiz to tune your suspension before?
    I am a bit inexperienced on suspension tuning, and Grip 2 does my head in. DPx2 also allows for plenty of tuning.
    This is my first high end bike.

My local shop rents them out for 100bucks for 2 weeks. Reckon it's worth it?
    I started with Pivot's recommended settings and went from there. Worked pretty well as I didn't need to stray far from what they have in this document:

https://www.pivotcycles.com/file/download/3598

Yeti also has their own configuration app for the Fox 36 on their website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just had my first legit ride last evening and it's amazing. I've got much more room to move with the longer reach. It just rips on the descents. It's not a bad climber by any means, it does have some heft to it. I'm also coming off an xc 29er so that thing was very efficient.

Does anyone know if these shipped with tubes? Looking to shed some weight.2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_20190517_190125.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Just had my first legit ride last evening and it's amazing. I've got much more room to move with the longer reach. It just rips on the descents. It's not a bad climber by any means, it does have some heft to it. I'm also coming off an xc 29er so that thing was very efficient.

Does anyone know if these shipped with tubes? Looking to shed some weight.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190517_190125.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	1251808

mine shipped with tubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i picked up a TR frame from the store in Squamish last week. size xl, dpx2 shock. i have a couple of photos, not that you don't know what it looks like... can't seem to upload them for some reason.

frame and shock comes in at 7 pounds. plus the depleted uranium seat tube collar, makes it just about 10 pounds........

many of the parts will come from my 15 Smuggler, 150 lyric fork and LB carbon wheelset. have to get a hub axle conversion kit from Hadley to make the rear hub fit. it's going to be a nice quality build with Turbine cranks, XT drivetrain, zee brakes, 200mm 9.8 dropper. Hope headset and Wheels mfging press fit BB. can't wait to get it up and running.

mtbr member
    Since it just won't stop raining here, I put together an updated bike check on Vital. Bronze TMACs look killer on the B.E. imo. Great pedals.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/j...75/setup,39149

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Nice!

what casing is the tires, im used 4o the old scwhalbe with SG etc

mtbr member
    Nice!

what casing is the tires, im used 4o the old scwhalbe with SG etc
    Evo casing I think? I've got an SG hans dampf on deck for my trip to Bham/North Shore/Squamish/Whistler in July

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234