2019 Meta TR British Edition 29 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhengen View Post
    Curious to know how others rationalize the weight of this bike. For me, being a tall guy (6'3") and weighing around 200lbs, I've never felt like an extra 5lbs on the frame was a big deal to me as I always have the opportunity to shed weight from myself to make it up. I get it if you're 150lbs, then the extra weight makes a bigger difference. To me, it's just not that important. I guess I should be glad that there are bikes available to me with these tradeoffs.
    ^ This is my rationale. It's important to remember that, in addition to an ostensibly bomb proof frame, you're picking up a pound or so in exchange for some of the best suspension available. Most bikes in this category would have a Pike/34 and a Monarch/DPS. Seems worth it to me. Also, I think the review overstates the bob/pedaling efficiency angle. But that's a pretty subjective issue so divergent opinions are to be expected.

I'm wondering why they scored the bike so low on "Ease of Maintenance". Haven't had to pull the pivots apart yet, hoping it's not a total pain to do so.
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i'm seeing the same geometry numbers no matter the version of this bike on their website. has anyone taken an angle finder (and tape measure) to the bb height and head and seat tube angles by chance?

all the new alloy bikes with aggressive riding intentions are fairly heavy certainly not unique to Commencal. in order to get them to perform and be durable under the hardest chargers they have to be. i'm guessing the build kit on my Smuggler, swapped over to this frame would put an xl around 32 pounds, but it all depends on tires. i'd like to try 2.6 tires on this bike, which would add a helluva lot of mass.

mtbr member
    Been researching the 36 a bit and there seems to be a widespread issue with excess grease in the negative air chamber. I didn't feel like my fork was equalizing very well so I pulled the lowers and the air spring today:

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1259.jpg

Excess grease indeed. Worth looking into if you have the 36. The fork feels great now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    Been researching the 36 a bit and there seems to be a widespread issue with excess grease in the negative air chamber. I didn't feel like my fork was equalizing very well so I pulled the lowers and the air spring today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1259.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	1235360

Excess grease indeed. Worth looking into if you have the 36. The fork feels great now.
    LMAO, that's one of the worst I've seen!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    LMAO, that's one of the worst I've seen!

Pretty absurd. What's the point in increasing the neg air chamber size when you're just going to fill it with grease during assembly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Makes me think I should just take my fork to the bike shop straight away for a 40hr service just in case. That's pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Watch a couple YouTube vids. Lower leg service is one of the easier bike maintenance exercises there is. Save the $$$ you'd have paid the shop and invest in some tools!

mtbr member
    Watch a couple YouTube vids. Lower leg service is one of the easier bike maintenance exercises there is. Save the $$$ you'd have paid the shop and invest in some tools!

Agreed. This tutorial is pretty great:

https://youtu.be/u4TH01UqEps

mtbr member
    Impressive, that's like 1/2 a tube of slick honey.

I have a brand new 36 in the box, i'll check it later. I need to swap to the 150mm air spring anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do you think they do that as a lark in the factory? or maybe they are paid per fork assembly so dip the shaft as fast as possible and go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    do you think they do that as a lark in the factory? or maybe they are paid per fork assembly so dip the shaft as fast as possible and go?
    Yeah, it seems pretty common. There's an entire thread here devoted to the issue. I think they just dunk the air spring in a tub of grease during assembly.
    Last edited by jabber127; 01-29-2019 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    I got a shipment notification.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I've been looking at this bike and thinking about purchasing as it's build looks amazing for the money and the geo looks spot on. I'm just over 6' 1" and am thinking of a L size frame (Reach 475 mm?) though am debating sizing up to the XL. Current and previous bikes were around the 460mm reach mark which felt a bit short; but a jump to 500 seems like a lot! Any of you new owners have any insight on sizing when actually riding this thing? I'm probs about 235 lbs in gear so really I'm not fussed about 1 or 2 lb in frame weight; very keen for a 36 up front but keen on people's thoughts about size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Arrival is scheduled for Friday, so freaking stoked!!!

mtbr member
    Please keep us updated with reviews and ride reports as you guys finish your frame up builds.

I had to move on a great deal with a different bike (Yeti sb130) but am still very interested in Commencal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It's here! 3.85kg for size large, brushed (includes rear axle packing spacer, derailleur hanger, and shock packing spacer)

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-meta1.jpg
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-meta2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks sick! Can't wait to see that thing built up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Pretty heavy, but that brushed alloy looks fantastic!

mtbr member
    So approx 9-9.5lbs with a standard piggy back shock like a DPX2 or Super Deluxe. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Oh man that alloy looks great. How stuck on is that camo on the downtube? Would one be able to remove it?

Frame is sick, I'd just prefer it without the camo pattern.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The camo pattern is painted on, under clear coat. So not removable unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jch3n View Post
    It's here! 3.85kg for size large, brushed (includes rear axle packing spacer, derailleur hanger, and shock packing spacer)

Name:	meta1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	366.5 KB 
ID:	1236165

Name:	meta2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	1236166
    So sick dude. Build 'er up!

mtbr member
    Got mine, looks exactly like jch3n's so wont bother posting pics. Really digging the brushed look, cant wait to build this thing up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ordered my large BE last night. Showing 2/19 for a ship date.

Now I wait and hope that the weather doesn't go to crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bailed on my TR build. The frame weight had me keep a lookout for another option and I stumbled upon a clearance for an 18 Hightower frame w/ a Fox elite shock and jumped on it. Ended up being the same price as the TR and a shock. So, I've got a DVO Topaz 210x50 which you can covert to 55 that I'll pitch here before sending it to DVO to take them up on the offer to trade in for the new shock size I need. Full disclosure, I bought it off PB and the only thing I've done so far is check to see it holds air. Asking only what I paid $310 shipped, no paypal fees. Message me if interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got the bike 85% built this weekend... Had some minor issues with the rear shock (take-off from a Sentinal so different mounting hardware within the shock), the M8000 brake line doesn't marry to the M8020 caliper, and had the wrong dropper post trigger (wrong Shimano brake lever). So, dropped it off at the shop this morning to situate what more needed to be situated and double check the garage hackjob.

I'll try and post a photo later, but its basically the BE build just brushed aluminum frame with fox 36 factory on black stanchions. It's a burly ass bike, almost doesn't fit on my Saris superclamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what size? this is the bike i'm thinking of ordering frame and shock and transferring parts to. looking forward to seeing photos when it's done. they are due in Canada at the end of the month, but with coastal BC being gripped in a wintery arctic blast, our winter riding season has been postponed to early spring i reckon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Xl
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-image-20190210_100910.jpg

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_20190209_184528.jpg

Sorry, can't get the image to rotate... You get the idea of the build

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Sweet! I love the factory forks with black stanchions. I wish the BE came with black lowers instead of orange.

What spec did you end up with overall and total price (if you don't mind sharing)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    Had some minor issues with the rear shock (take-off from a Sentinal so different mounting hardware within the shock)
    Did you use Commencal's mounting hardware? I had to press in a flangeless bushing in place of the flanged bushings that came with my DVO shock in order to get the mounting hardware to fit. No idea if that was the right thing to do or not.

I've made minimal progress on my build. Going slightly less burly than the BE with a Sapphire up front.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img_3538.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Did you use Commencal's mounting hardware? I had to press in a flangeless bushing in place of the flanged bushings that came with my DVO shock in order to get the mounting hardware to fit. No idea if that was the right thing to do or not.
    I did, but could only place one spacer in the shock because of some offwhite spacers. Think these were necessary for the Sentinal, but not OE from Fox. Shop was going to research and figure it out.

Spec:
    XL Frame
    Fox Factor 36 Fit4 - 150mm (Slik Graphics decals in Fox OEM silver/matte black)
    DPX2 Rear - 210x50
    OneUp Dropper - 170mm
    Raceface Cockpit (Aeffect 40mm stem w/ Turbine R 800mm bars)
    Shimano 11 speed XT Drivetrain (175 arms w/ 32t)
    E*13 9-46 cassette
    M8000 Levers w/ M8020 front (203 rotor) M8000 rear (180 rotor)
    OneUp Composite pedals for now, will upgrade to Crankbrother mallets/candy
    E*13 TRS Wheels
    Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.3 front and rear w/ Stan's Tubless Sealent
    Fabric Scoop Cromo Saddle
    Ergon Evo Facotry grips

Wanted to keep it under $3k, but I spent more than that. The 75% of the drivetrain came off my old bike, same with the brakes, just got the M8020 caliper and 203 rotor.
    The Proscloset had a smokin deal on the Fork ($540) I couldn't pass up, score the wheels/tires which were new take off and the shock (near new) off PinkBike.

mtbr member
    Xl

Name:	image-20190210_100910.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	1237837

Name:	IMG_20190209_184528.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	1237838

Sorry, can't get the image to rotate... You get the idea of the build
    Super clean! Loving the frame, fork decal, brake lever color match.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks great! What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Jabber, how about a photo from the side of that raw bad boy. how is the rear tire clearance? they claim a whopping 2.6 (any one actually seen a real live 2.6 in the wild, or are they fake news?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Comes in just a hair over 34lbs.

Finally got it out this weekend, and I'm not disappointed in my purchase.

**Full disclosure, I'm coming off an Orbea Alma 29er (28ish pounds), which is more of a hard tail XC Geo and not confidence inspiring on the downs at all. And I've only ridden a full squish MTB a few times, never owned one. I live in Southern California just north of LA, so have to climb to be able go back down, everything has to be earned**

The bike climbs realitivly well for how much the bike weights. Climbed with the suspension full open and noticed little pouncing or bobbing. The climbing position is nice, on my previous bike the front would lift not on the Meta. I personally should have gone with a 30t out front because I've only got a 46 in the rear. Also running flats for now, but eventually be back on clipless. The pedal stroke efficiencies of clipless are noticeable, but I wanted to get used to the bike and establish some baselines.

As mentioned before, this bike wants to go fast downhill. On the Orbea I never was confident in the bike when it went downhill, always felt like I was going to go flying over the front wheel. At the beginning of my descent on the Meta I was a bit nervous, but my confidence kept progressing as I kept going down. The bike just kept eating up the trail, it wanted to keep going faster and faster. It's like night and day between the two, but a lot is because of the geo.

It's only been one ride, but still I love it and can't wait to ride it more!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-182e4886-ec53-486a-943c-fb94a6f8ccde.jpg

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-ede5eacc-f262-4b12-b20b-66e805ec8c0c.jpg

My meta buildup, the AM version not the TR.

Main specs:
    Lyrick RC2 fork
    Rockshox superdeluxe rearshock
    Shimano 11 sp XT drivetrain
    Wheels: front xm 481, back ex511 350s hubs
    Hope tech3 e4 breaks
    Renthal fatbar Carbon steer
    Crankbrother Highline dropperpost

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Did someone try to fit a 55mm stroke shock on the Meta TR 29? Wondering if it's possible and what's the clearance.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi everyone,

Orderd my meta tr 29 essential (Brushed of course) on Thursday in the U, shipped from commencals office in Colorado the next day. Fed Ex delivery is Wednesday, so stoked, Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artem View Post
    Did someone try to fit a 55mm stroke shock on the Meta TR 29? Wondering if it's possible and what's the clearance.

Someone quoted commencal directly on the issue earlier in this thread. Pretty sure it's compatible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Someone quoted commencal directly on the issue earlier in this thread. Pretty sure it's compatible.
    I was wondering if someone had actually build one up with the 55mm stroke shock and can give us some feedback with a couple of photos.

mtbr member
    I was wondering if someone had actually build one up with the 55mm stroke shock and can give us some feedback with a couple of photos.

I'm expecting my shock any day now. I'll post up when it shows up. Based on the info shared by Commencal and others I think it's pretty unlikely to be any issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    I'm expecting my shock any day now. I'll post up when it shows up. Based on the info shared by Commencal and others I think it's pretty unlikely to be any issue.
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Comes in just a hair over 34lbs.

Finally got it out this weekend, and I'm not disappointed in my purchase.

**Full disclosure, I'm coming off an Orbea Alma 29er (28ish pounds), which is more of a hard tail XC Geo and not confidence inspiring on the downs at all. And I've only ridden a full squish MTB a few times, never owned one. I live in Southern California just north of LA, so have to climb to be able go back down, everything has to be earned**

The bike climbs realitivly well for how much the bike weights. Climbed with the suspension full open and noticed little pouncing or bobbing. The climbing position is nice, on my previous bike the front would lift not on the Meta. I personally should have gone with a 30t out front because I've only got a 46 in the rear. Also running flats for now, but eventually be back on clipless. The pedal stroke efficiencies of clipless are noticeable, but I wanted to get used to the bike and establish some baselines.

As mentioned before, this bike wants to go fast downhill. On the Orbea I never was confident in the bike when it went downhill, always felt like I was going to go flying over the front wheel. At the beginning of my descent on the Meta I was a bit nervous, but my confidence kept progressing as I kept going down. The bike just kept eating up the trail, it wanted to keep going faster and faster. It's like night and day between the two, but a lot is because of the geo.

It's only been one ride, but still I love it and can't wait to ride it more!
    Just so I am not crazy... is that 34+lbs for the carbon fiber meta tr? Your bike looks to be aluminum. Right? So 34lbs for the aluminum build. What is the carbon build weigh? Did I miss something somewhere?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Just so I am not crazy... is that 34+lbs for the carbon fiber meta tr? Your bike looks to be aluminum. Right? So 34lbs for the aluminum build. What is the carbon build weigh? Did I miss something somewhere?
    There is no carbon build of the META TR.

mtbr member
    Commencal doesn't make a carbon fiber bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for clearing that up. Donít know how I missed the fact that they currently donít have any carbon bikes. I got caught up in the sea of carbon from all the other manufactures and just assumed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just finished putting together my British Edition. Weight came in at 33.5 with no pedals and adding the ride alpha chain guide. Tires are tubed (probably 225g a piece), so it should be a wash after going tubeless and adding pedals. 33.5 lbs. isn't bad at all considering how burly this thing is. I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get it out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    Just finished putting together my British Edition. Weight came in at 33.5 with no pedals and adding the ride alpha chain guide. Tires are tubed (probably 225g a piece), so it should be a wash after going tubeless and adding pedals. 33.5 lbs. isn't bad at all considering how burly this thing is. I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get it out on the trail.
    Frame size?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Large

Probably lose another 20g when I trim the bars to a reasonable 760mm.

Way too many tight trails in Western NC to be rocking 800's!

mtbr member
    delete

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mind listing the entire build kit?
    And some photos please

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A few more weights for those that are interested.

I'm at 33.1 lbs. now that I'm setup tubeless (not including pedals). The hans dampf was a little under the published weight, but the magic mary was way over. Schwalbe's website lists it at 885g. I weighed it at 998g. The tubes that shipped with the bike were Schwalbe lights that were only 192g a piece.

With pedals I'll be a hair over 34 lbs.

I also measured the tires and the MM was a true 2.35. The HD actually measured 2.4. Both measurements are across the knobs. The casing is roughly the same width.

Can you tell the weather sucks and I'd rather be riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sounds about right. we've been fed a steady diet of your bike is a porker if it's anything over 29 pounds by the bike media. in Canada you've got to spend at least 7500 to even come close to 30 and as soon as durable tires are included forget it.

a bike like this TR (like my 33 pound xl Smuggler) is made to be ragdolled on the roughest trails and jumped for years without breaking. high performance at a reasonable price. 34 pounds is just what i would expect. same as an enduro race bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sounds about right. we've been fed a steady diet of your bike is a porker if it's anything over 29 pounds by the bike media. in Canada you've got to spend at least 7500 to even come close to 30 and as soon as durable tires are included forget it.

a bike like this TR (like my 33 pound xl Smuggler) is made to be ragdolled on the roughest trails and jumped for years without breaking. high performance at a reasonable price. 34 pounds is just what i would expect. same as an enduro race bike.
    I'm with you 100%. I bought this bike as a trail bike that is capable of a few days a year at the bike park. I wanted a higher end aluminum build at a good price. That's something almost nobody offers anymore, but I feel like more people want. I mean, look at how quickly the aluminum Capra with a nice build sold out. It seems like they'd put 2 and 2 together, but who the hell knows...

I bought exactly what I wanted and I'm planning on thrashing it for years.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe this is a silly question. But would you guys put carbon wheels on this bike? Or does that go against the mindset for the bike. Would there be a big benefit?

I am about 155 with all gear on. So I have been trying to chase the sub 30 lb target but the build spec and cost of the British TR is hard to ignore and brush off.

mtbr member
    Maybe this is a silly question. But would you guys put carbon wheels on this bike? Or does that go against the mindset for the bike. Would there be a big benefit?

I am about 155 with all gear on. So I have been trying to chase the sub 30 lb target but the build spec and cost of the British TR is hard to ignore and brush off.
    I detailed my build in an earlier post in this thread, which included an upgrade to carbon wheels. Switching to carbon wheels won't get you to 30lbs, but taking a pound off of your rotational weight and adding stiffness will have a huge impact on how the bike accelerates and carries speed. Additionally, the pricing on carbon wheels and high end alloy options are starting to converge, and when you start comparing weights and warranties (my set has a lifetime warranty on the rims), carbon starts to make a whole lot of sense.

My build, which has lots of carbon bits added, still sits just under 35lbs with pedals and a oneup pump/multi-tool; but most of that weight is centrally located in the frame or in the suspension, which are two areas that I don't want to skimp on. The reality is that if weight is a huge concern for you, this bike might not be the one. Though I will add that myself and others in this thread have come around to the view that increased weight adds up to more durability and descending capability with a pretty marginal tradeoff on the climbs--and you can always get stronger

All that is to say, I think carbon wheels definitely make sense for this bike. I'd tell you about the difference in ride characteristics but we have 2 feet of snow on the ground.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

I agree with Jabber; carbon wheels are definitely something you could do to this bike to lose 1-2 pounds.

Just thinking out loud now; not sure where you'd end up if you bought a frame and built it up with a lighter fork, carbon wheels and maybe an XO or XX 1x11 drive train and then went carbon on handlebars, etc. By that point though, your cost is probably going to be comparable to just buying something carbon brand new. And to me, the whole value proposition of Commencal bikes is top suspension/brakes for people who aren't too fussed about weight.

mtbr member
    In short, yes I'd add carbon wheels but be realistic about the type of riding you're gonna do and the abuse your wheels will have to endure. I'm looking specifically at Santa Cruz Reserves which come in at a touch over 1800 grams. Not featherweights but VERY strong. The aluminum alternatives I want (DT Swiss XM481/EX511 combo) typically come in under 2000grams so I'd be looking at a half pound weight savings.

If you think you're gonna get 1-2lb savings from wheels alone you started with a very heavy, are going VERY light or both.

mtbr member
    In short, yes I'd add carbon wheels but be realistic about the type of riding you're gonna do and the abuse your wheels will have to endure. I'm looking specifically at Santa Cruz Reserves which come in at a touch over 1800 grams. Not featherweights but VERY strong. The aluminum alternatives I want (DT Swiss XM481/EX511 combo) typically come in under 2000grams so I'd be looking at a half pound weight savings.

If you think you're gonna get 1-2lb savings from wheels alone you started with a very heavy, are going VERY light or both.

Yeah, for the record, here's what I did:

Started with
    - E thirteen trs alloy wheels - 2090g
    - Hans dampf - 850g
    - Huck norris in the rear - ~85g

Ended with
    - E thirteen TRSr sl wheels - 1733g
    - Rock Razor - 740g
    - Huck norris in the rear - ~85g

Overall that's -467g

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    for a 155 pound rider you could build this bike up as light as possible and use sub 800g tires and probably get a 30 pound bike. it's just that it will be very expensive to do so. the lightest wheelset you can find (1600g max) and then the lightest xc carbon parts for everything, maybe an 10-42 cassette X0 (close to 500 alone) .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think 32-32.5 is realistic while keeping with the spirit of the bike. Carbon wheels and bars along with lighter cassette would probably get you close. It's not meant to be a lightweight bike by any means. It's a burly aluminum framed bike that is focused on riders that value the downhills over climbing ability.

I don't think the same rider on a $10k Yeti SB130 would be significantly faster over a lap of their favorite trail than on the Meta. Even if it was, I'd rather have the extra $6k in my pocket to enjoy on one of my many other hobbies.

mtbr member
    I think 32-32.5 is realistic while keeping with the spirit of the bike. Carbon wheels and bars along with lighter cassette would probably get you close. It's not meant to be a lightweight bike by any means. It's a burly aluminum framed bike that is focused on riders that value the downhills over climbing ability.

I don't think the same rider on a $10k Yeti SB130 would be significantly faster over a lap of their favorite trail than on the Meta. Even if it was, I'd rather have the extra $6k in my pocket to enjoy on one of my many other hobbies.
    Funny you mentioned the sb130. I can tell you that my size Large GX build (not the Gucci TURQ frame model) will come in at 34lbs with coil fork (Fox 36 + Push ACS3) and shock (Cane Creek db IL coil). Frame was over 7lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Funny you mentioned the sb130. I can tell you that my size Large GX build (not the Gucci TURQ frame model) will come in at 34lbs with coil fork (Fox 36 + Push ACS3) and shock (Cane Creek db IL coil). Frame was over 7lbs.

GX is hefty, so is a dual coil setup. I guess my point is that a middle of the road build is going to be in the 33 lb. range no matter what it is. The mack daddy SB130 build with turq frame and air suspension is probably in the 31 lb. range I'm guessing?

mtbr member
    GX is hefty, so is a dual coil setup. I guess my point is that a middle of the road build is going to be in the 33 lb. range no matter what it is. The mack daddy SB130 build with turq frame and air suspension is probably in the 31 lb. range I'm guessing?
    My bad. I should have clarified that my 34lb weight is "ready to ride" with pedals, bike computer, bottle cage + mini tool, co2 cartridge, tire lever + tube as well as chain guide/bash guard. DT Swiss XM481/EX511 wheels on DT Swiss 350 hubs w/ e*13 TRS Race front and SS rear (which are both over 1000 gram tires).

So yeah, she's not light for a carbon bike...but I likes em thick.

You're right tho, the pimped out Turq frame on air should be closer to 30-31lbs depending on frame size. These frames w/ "new school" geo are bigger/longer than previous models so we will see frame and full build weights go up. The first thing I said when I saw the new Yeti, coming from a Yeti 5.5, was "daaaaamn, that bike is long!"

-Ron.

mtbr member
    34LBs is clearly totally un-ride-able... As I recall we were schelping 40LB "freeride" bikes up the hill just a couple years ago, or at least I was..

You'd definitely be making sacrifices in durability to build up a sub 30LB 29. I wouldn't expect to get 5 years out of a yeti. Just last season I had a rock kick up and put a couple nice dents in my V4's downtube. I don't think carbon would have shrugged that one off so easily.

Anyways, I'm one piece away from building this thing up.

mtbr member
    34LBs is clearly totally un-ride-able... As I recall we were schelping 40LB "freeride" bikes up the hill just a couple years ago, or at least I was..

You'd definitely be making sacrifices in durability to build up a sub 30LB 29. I wouldn't expect to get 5 years out of a yeti. Just last season I had a rock kick up and put a couple nice dents in my V4's downtube. I don't think carbon would have shrugged that one off so easily.

Anyways, I'm one piece away from building this thing up.
    I don't expect 5 years out of ANY bike...haha.

mtbr member
    I don't expect 5 years out of ANY bike...haha.

You should, the Commencal warranty is 5 years! My v4 AM is a 2015 with 4 seasons down. Pretty sure it could easily do another season at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finished my build tonight. 32.6lbs without pedals.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-meta-tr29.jpg

Size L Brushed Aluminum Frame
    DVO Topaz shock & Sapphire 32 fork
    Race Face Aeffect crank w/ 30t Cinch chainring
    Shimano XT shifter, brakes, RD, chain
    Sunrace 11-46 cassette
    AliExpress carbon handlebar, Kalloy Uno stem, Deity Knuckleduster grips
    OneUp Components 170mm dropper w/ Wolf Tooth Components Remote lever
    Selle Italia SL XC saddle
    Hunt Trail Wide wheels
    e*thirteen TRS Race front tire, TRS+ rear

mtbr member

Name:	meta-tr29.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	1239974

Sunrace 11-46 cassette
    Hunt Trail Wide wheels
    The DVO stuff looks killer with the brushed frame! I'll be interested to hear how the bike rides with a more trail-oriented fork. Also curious about those wheels; I've always liked their branding but have never really heard anything about performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sunrace 11-46 cassette
    Hunt Trail Wide wheels
    Looks killer. I've ridden the 1'st gen Topaz and it was a great shock. Very smooth and can be completely rebuilt by a weekend mechanic as it doesn't have any high pressure nitrogen canisters like Fox, etc. Haven't ridden any of their forks, but I always hear good stuff about them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Sunrace 11-46 cassette
    Hunt Trail Wide wheels
    I like what you did with the spec. Looks fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That looks pretty damn good!
    Little green anodized goodies there and there would pop!

What's the travel out front?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What's the travel out front?
    140mm

mtbr member
    Finally tore into my 36 to lower it down. Not as goopy as some but still pretty goopy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Finally tore into my 36 to lower it down. Not as goopy as some but still pretty goopy.

I haven't torn mine down, but I did take off the cap and have a look. Mark me down as one of the guys with WAY too much slick honey in there. There's probably enough on the top of the air piston for two complete rebuilds.

mtbr member
    You should, the Commencal warranty is 5 years! My v4 AM is a 2015 with 4 seasons down. Pretty sure it could easily do another season at this point.
    I'm curious, how was your experience with maintaining your v4 frame over those years? Any issues with creaky pivots or anything like that?

mtbr member
    I'm curious, how was your experience with maintaining your v4 frame over those years? Any issues with creaky pivots or anything like that?
    It was a breeze, I replaced a few bearings here and there when needed but nothing out of the ordinary. The tiny seat stay bearings were always the first to go. Otherwise I had two warranty issues over that time. 1: broke the stock maxle as many others did before they revised it. 2: The chainstay main pivot bolt flange started to crack. Commencal overnighted the parts in both cases. It's a durable bike for sure, but I also stay on top of maintenance.

mtbr member
    It was a breeze, I replaced a few bearings here and there when needed but nothing out of the ordinary. The tiny seat stay bearings were always the first to go. Otherwise I had two warranty issues over that time. 1: broke the stock maxle as many others did before they revised it. 2: The chainstay main pivot bolt flange started to crack. Commencal overnighted the parts in both cases. It's a durable bike for sure, but I also stay on top of maintenance.
    This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any of the Canucks out there who were waiting take delivery? dhengen? the weather has finally turned on the west coast, riding is starting up again. for everyone else anyways, i'm nursing a broken ankle...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is it even possible to get / build this bike in the sub 30lb space with pedals? Like at 28/29 lbs all in on a M?

mtbr member
    Haha...good luck with that. It's an aluminum trail bruiser.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is it even possible to get / build this bike in the sub 30lb space with pedals? Like at 28/29 lbs all in on a M?
    if you read the earlier threads you'll see that it's unlikely, but possible. i would google say a world cup xc bike and take note of all the components right down to the tires. order those parts, wheels and tires put them on the Meta TR and voila, 28 pounds. (and $10,000)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    any of the Canucks out there who were waiting take delivery? dhengen? the weather has finally turned on the west coast, riding is starting up again. for everyone else anyways, i'm nursing a broken ankle...
    Hey man, I did get my bike about 3 weeks ago now, but live in a ski town in the Rockies so no riding yet. Will be heading to Squamish the week of April 15th. Hopefully some earlier riding closer to home before then but depends on the weather. Will definitely post my first impressions.

mtbr member
    Probably but not without sacrificing strength somewhere. You'd definitely need some tweener parts on there. (cranks/wheels/fork) Like rondre3000 said, this bike is a more of a trail bruiser. While i'm sure it pedals better than a 160mm AM bike, i'd look elsewhere if you want something to pound climbs on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Finally tore down the fork to clean out all the goop in the air chamber. Seems to be working much smoother now. I was definitely having some problems with the chambers equalizing due to the dimple in the fork leg getting clogged. Going for a ride this afternoon, hopefully will have some good news to report.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So my fork is still a bit harsh. I pulled one of the volume spacers before my ride yesterday and increased the fork pressure a little bit. I'm currently sitting just under 20% sag. Seems counter-intuitive, but when the fork rides deeper into it's travel it can feel more harsh due to the ramping effect. I've pulled the other volume spacer so now I don't have any. I'm leaving it at ~20% sag to see how it rides.

Anybody else having trouble with the new fox 36's riding too harsh? I know there's a whole thread on the subject, but wanted to ask folks who are riding the same fork on the same bike.

mtbr member
    Seems counter-intuitive, but when the fork rides deeper into it's travel it can feel more harsh due to the ramping effect.
    Haven't ridden the grip2 yet but I can't say I agree with this statement from your analysis. Personally i'd be adding spacers for bottom out and lowering pressure for sensitivity. I don't focus on sag for fork setup. It always ends up being too firm and I end up letting air out. I'll ballpark pressure with one or no spacers based on travel usage and go from there. Most people run too much pressure rather than setting it lower and using compression/ramp to control where its riding the travel. If you're feeling it in the hands you need to lower compression, or increase rebound if you're happy with your spring setting.

edited for clarity.

mtbr member
    I made a thing!

Da build:

Large frame
    Light bike AM930pro, DT240s , DHF/Aggressor 2.5WT
    Fox 36 grip2 150mm, Dpx2 210x55
    Shimano XTR 12spd, 4-pistons, 180mm rotors, pedals, dropper lever, & Mt900 cranks w/ AB oval ring
    Transfer Post, Ergon saddle
    Enve dh bar, Alpha 40mm stem, ODi floats

32lbs on the spot as you see it. Still some fine tuning to do but pretty stoked, cant wait to schralp it.
    Last edited by PhoS; 2 Days Ago at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Congrats...now go ride and tell us all about it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I made a thing!

Da build:

Large frame
    Light bike AM930pro, DT240s , DHF/Aggressor 2.5WT
    Fox 36 grip2 150mm, Dpx2 210x55
    Shimano XTR 12spd, 4-pistons, 180mm rotors, pedals, dropper lever, & Mt900 cranks w/ AB oval ring
    Transfer Post, Ergon saddle
    Enve dh bar, Alpha 40mm stem, ODi floats

32lbs on the spot as you see it. Still some fine tuning to do but pretty stoked, cant wait to schralp it.
    Sweet. What gear set and which 4 piston setup did you go with?

Have you ridden it hard with the carbon wheels? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sweet. What gear set and which 4 piston setup did you go with?

Have you ridden it hard with the carbon wheels? Thoughts?
    Both XTR, I just finished putting it together but I will go smash them on some rocks and let you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sick build PhoS! I'm qurious to know how is the clearance with the long stroke shock?

mtbr member
    Sick build PhoS! I'm qurious to know how is the clearance with the long stroke shock?

Thanks dude, I just checked and the shock bottoms just before the seat stay brace would touch the mud flap. Nothing else is close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks dude, I just checked and the shock bottoms just before the seat stay brace would touch the mud flap. Nothing else is close.
    Nice! Could you take a picture please?

mtbr member
    Nice! Could you take a picture please?

Sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sure.

Sick! Can't wait for the ride report as soon as you get a chance

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I spy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-20190321_170022.jpg  

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-20190321_170212.jpg  

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I spy...
    Noice! +1 for the brushed gang.

I got out for a shake down ride today. I hit up a local XC loop since most of the real good stuff is still snowed out. Most of the trails there are pedally with an odd technical root/rock section, some good sprinty climbs, and a bit of flow. Pedaling manners are good, I set the dpx2 to the middle of the range on the low speed adjustment but left the pro pedal wide open the whole time. Definitely less energy sapping on the grinds than my v4. Much of this is thanks to the excellent seating position imo. I could see doing longer rides on this without dying. I tried a couple hard technical climbs and was able to get up them however I did smack pedals a couple times. I think a little less sag is in order. The Aggressor leaves a little to be desired compared to a DHRII. The XTR 12spd is fantastic, it was very easy to shift under power and didn't hiccup at all. I didn't even push the brakes so i'll save that thought for later.

The reach felt spot on for me with the 40mm stem, I could go longer but I wouldn't go shorter. I felt positioned nicely in the middle, and inside the bike rather than on it. It definitely doesn't feel like a big bike to me. It was easy to manual, and very happy to pop off of stuff. I sent a few of the doubles to flat to see what would happen. No harsh bottom outs even having used all the travel. The rear end had a good amount of ramp up to let you know when you're near the bottom. I didn't check which spacer is in the shock but I have it pumped up to 180psi for about 30% sag.

Handling felt solid, this is my first 29er and man do these things grip. There's not a lot of berms on these trails but there was more grip than I was willing to commit to on flat corners, and I was carrying good speed. I also didn't feel over-biked in the tighter stuff.

Over-all i'd say i'm pretty happy, I was looking for a longer, better pedaling version of my old bike with next level components and that's exactly what this is. I'll update when I get it out on some more challenging trails.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    b-b-b-but its not carbon!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123