Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subyguy View Post
    I'm digging that tan colorway!
    Honestly, almost as good as the B.E. The 36 decals look so good.
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thabks for those ride reports! For those of you who've received your bikes, do you have any more feedback? How playful and poppy is this bike? Would you say it's about having fun or being a hard charger?

I'd like to have a fun bike and maybe this would be the ticket.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatic View Post
    Thabks for those ride reports! For those of you who've received your bikes, do you have any more feedback? How playful and poppy is this bike? Would you say it's about having fun or being a hard charger?

I'd like to have a fun bike and maybe this would be the ticket.

My guess is that you can achieve either of those characteristics through the suspension tune and how you ride the bike. I haven't had much more of an opportunity to ride the meta after my initial shakedown, but after putting a larger volume spacer in the dpx2 and tooling around the neighborhood, I definitely feel more of the pop that you're referring to. Your riding style comes into play when you consider the weight of the bike. It rides relatively light, but it takes a good amount of input if you really want to throw this bike around, at least more so than my last bike, which was more trail oriented (Kona Process 111).

Basically, I think if you find the right rebound and volume in both ends of the suspension, this bike will be as lively as others in the category. That just takes a fair amount of rider input and experimentation, given the range of adjustments on offer.

Again, take this with a grain of salt, as most of these observations have been made off the trail. But the style of riding you describe is very close to my own, and I don't worry about achieving that on this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Good to know, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Dig the Sand colorway, but still think the Brushed is the best!
    Also, it appears the two Essential builds are the same, why the $100 difference...

I spoke to Clay earlier this week, hopefully I'll have my frame the 1st week of January.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureUnknown View Post
    Dig the Sand colorway, but still think the Brushed is the best!
    Also, it appears the two Essential builds are the same, why the $100 difference...

I spoke to Clay earlier this week, hopefully I'll have my frame the 1st week of January.
    Clay rocks...Called me directly about a question I submitted and got me squared away!

-Ron.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The Meta TR has really caught my eye as I'm in the market to replace my 17 Trek Fuel EX 8.

Does anyone have experience with this and the new 19 Trek Remedy 8? That's the other bike i'm considering. Both are approximately $4k however the Meta TR has a better spec.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Rode mine today for the first time - comparing to my 2015 Commencal Meta TR - this is definitely more aggressive and burlier bike, especially in BE build - which is exactly what I was looking for, as I'm starting to outgrow of my previous bike.
    I can second everything @jabber127 wrote - this bike wants to go downhill fast Don't expect to set any records climbing or on flats, not at 33lbs and these tires )
    But downhill it's awesome.
    Need to figure front / rear suspension - shock comes with 0.6" token installed, but still bottoms out easily at 25% sag. GRIP2 fork has too many knobs will take a while get it dialed.
    Much shorter seat tube than 27.5 Meta, should be able to put 200mm dropper no problem (stock 150mm for Large frame is no good).

Attachment 1228541
    Hey how does your dpx2 feel? Mine feels rough and it's a bit noisy. Had a good amount of float fluid on the stanchion after my ride today, I'd say more than what I usually see after a shock rebuild. The shock is behaving normally, but I'm wondering if I have an issue.

mid-apocalypse
    I'm wondering about that draggy -38mm bottom bracket height.

Anyone running into too-low bottom bracket problems?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchCoffeeMan View Post
    I'm wondering about that draggy -38mm bottom bracket height.

Anyone running into too-low bottom bracket problems?
    Funny you bring this up, I was just looking at 170 carbon cranks for this reason and the fact that the stock 175mm 7k descendants weigh a ton. The bb is definitely really low, which is great for cornering, but I've definitely had more pedal/toe contact than I'd like. That said, I am still experimenting with different sag numbers. Also, the way this bike corners, it's probably worth putting up with some pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    Also, the way this bike corners, it's probably worth putting up with some pedal strikes.
    Sounds awesome - please expand on this. I've been searching the interwebs high and low for initial ride impressions and this forum is all I can find. Does anyone know of anywhere else that in depth reviews have been done so far?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhengen View Post
    Sounds awesome - please expand on this. I've been searching the interwebs high and low for initial ride impressions and this forum is all I can find. Does anyone know of anywhere else that in depth reviews have been done so far?
    Yeah I'm really surprised not to see this bike included in any of the year-end reviews--was hoping bike mag or pinkbike would cover it.

Low bottom brackets help with cornering and stability by lowering your center of gravity. The trade-off is pedal strikes. Really though, this bike corners like a boss. I think half of it is the fork; the thing tracks so well.

mid-apocalypse
    One last question I had was about the chainstay width. It looks like they've stuck the brake caliper on the inside again resulting in a wide chainstay as they did with the TR 27.5.

Any issue with heel rub from any of the owners? I tend to ride quite duck footed so a bit concerned about this.

Low bottom bracket is more of a non-issue as it can be gotten used to pretty easily, and results in better handling besides.

Btw, cheers for the help from those who've taken early delivery, as has been said you're really the only source of information available. 🍻

mtbr member
    One last question I had was about the chainstay width. It looks like they've stuck the brake caliper on the inside again resulting in a wide chainstay as they did with the TR 27.5.

Any issue with heel rub from any of the owners? I tend to ride quite duck footed so a bit concerned about this.
    Noticed my heel hit the chain stay once in 5 rides so far.

Btw, cheers for the help from those who've taken early delivery, as has been said you're really the only source of information available. 
    Happy to answer any more questions. Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

I think this whole chainstay issue is exaggerated - I have both TR27.5 and TR29. In shoes size 11 and with pedals that sit really close to cranks (Stamp 7) I have no issues.

mtbr member
    Code BOXINGDAY gets you 10% off ala carte and sale items! Good until Sunday @ midnight.

-Ron

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Code BOXINGDAY gets you 10% off ala carte and sale items! Good until Sunday @ midnight.

-Ron
    Doesn't work for me, just like BLACKFRIDAY. I give up.

mtbr member
    How strange! I'm able to add items and see the discount applied at check out.

For clarity, you are only adding items to your cart from the Boxing Day or A La Carte menus, correct?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Added the frame from the A La Carte menu just as I did for blackfriday2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-screenshot_20181225-215213.jpg

mtbr member
    *deleting previous advice. Issue seems to be item specific*

mtbr member
    One thing I just noticed is you have to be able to be able to get to the "Finalise My Build" button. Frames like the SRAM Edition Meta AM don't have this option yet so you can't apply the discount to that order.

But you can see that the code does work so maybe this will help?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How durable are Commencal meta am 29er frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    How durable are Commencal meta am 29er frames?
    At least as durable as previous Commencal frames, I would think. They've only been available to the public for a few weeks so you won't find many reviews...only bike publication reviews from around September when the model was announced.

What makes you ask about that frame in particular?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hopefully Bike Radar will have a review of the bike in the coming weeks...

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/ar...in-2018-53265/

And I got my A La Carte to work with the discounts code on Black Friday by choosing "Finalize My Build" I added a Headset other than just ordering the frame only. And I just tried doing the same thing again, picked the Grey/Gold TR added a Headset and Seatpost Clamp, did "Finalize My Build", yes the Pre-Order and then once on the page with the items in my cart I put in the Boxingday promo code and knocked off 10%.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Any comments on the rear hub? Quiet? Loud?

mtbr member
    Any comments on the rear hub? Quiet? Loud?
    Yeah, loud. Sounds awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone know what the fork offset is by chance?

mtbr member
    Normal 51mm.
    Anyone know what the fork offset is by chance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Geo on this thing looks really close to the Yeti SB130. Wonder if it rides similarly to it? Any of you that bought this happen to demo an SB130 by chance?

mtbr member
    Geo on this thing looks really close to the Yeti SB130. Wonder if it rides similarly to it? Any of you that bought this happen to demo an SB130 by chance?
    I just picked up an SB130 because I couldn't wait any longer for a TR frame. While fit will be similar, I'm sure that suspension feel will be different and subject to personal preference.

A lot of what makes a Yeti feel like a Yeti has to do with that Switch Infinity pivot. Not saying it is better or worse, just different and it really does feel like it had more travel than it does while pedaling very efficiently.

I'd still be interested to hear how the TR 29 owners get on as more bikes and frames become available!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was about 95% sure that a Transition Sentinel (alloy gx build) would be my next bike. Now I'm rethinking that...

Is anyone else thinking that the BE w/ 55mm stroke shock and maybe an air shaft kit to get the fork to 160mm would be the perfect bike? I like the AM 29, but a 160/170 bike is just a little more than I'm looking for. I have a hard tail that I ride locally and I'm looking for a bike that can handle the local tough trails (Pisgah) and occasionally some park duty.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got a 51mm offset fork for a build and with terrible tire clearance I crossed the Sentinel off my list.
    I can't decide between the TR or the new Sensor.
    I did pick up a DVO Topaz 210x55 and plan to run the fork at 150 if I do end up pulling the trigger on the TR frame. Can't make up my mind and am holding out until a couple more reviews come out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd really like to ride one, but I'm in NC so I doubt I'll be able to. I'm not terribly excited about buying a new bike without riding it first.

Looks like the "a la carte" option for the Meta doesn't have an option for a dpx2 at 210x55, just a super deluxe. I wonder if the folks in Colorado would be able to swap out the 210x50 for a 210x55 dpx2? I can always increase the fork travel by myself if I decide to down the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Was anybody able to check the weight of the frame? on www.mtb-news.de the first measurement is quite disappointing. 3850g for a size M frame without shock. It is a Meta AM 29 frame and not a TR though. But i read that the AM and TR share the same hardware and tubing so i dont expect the TR to be lighter than the AM.

I was riding a Nicolai so far and do not care a lot about frame wieght but 3.85 kg!?

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Whats are people doing for frame protection? Helicopter tape? 3M? Gorilla tape? I used Gorilla tape on my Bronson but it wasn't the best. Looking for options once my bike finally shows up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Whats are people doing for frame protection? Helicopter tape? 3M? Gorilla tape? I used Gorilla tape on my Bronson but it wasn't the best. Looking for options once my bike finally shows up.
    RideWrap makes a kit for the Meta 29, since the TR frame is almost identical should work pretty well. Might be worth contacting them.

On other news, got am email from Clay yesterday, frame's are on a train from Seattle to Golden. They expect them sometime at the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the tip. I contacted them after doing more research. Kits look expensive, but worth it in the end. They are seeing if the Meta AM one will work, if not are looking into a TR specific one. It's cool because they have a direct relationship with Commencal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was doing a little research today for anyone that is interested.

I spoke with Clay as well. Asked him about the different shock options and he said that the Super Deluxe is the only shock available in a 55mm stroke. All of their DPX2's are 50mm. I called the East Coast Fox service dept. and found out that they can increase the stroke on a DPX2 for about $50 (plus freight). If you're like me and want to bump the fork to 160mm, the air shaft and oil are another $60 if you can do the work yourself. So for about $150 in total you can take the bike from 130/150 to 140/160. Head angle will change about 0.5 degrees making the new angle about 66. Will raise the BB about 5mm as well if I'm not mistaken (should help with pedal strikes).

He said that they're expecting to have all frame sizes in stock by early February.

I definitely think this is going to be my next bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    I was doing a little research today for anyone that is interested.

I spoke with Clay as well. Asked him about the different shock options and he said that the Super Deluxe is the only shock available in a 55mm stroke. All of their DPX2's are 50mm. I called the East Coast Fox service dept. and found out that they can increase the stroke on a DPX2 for about $50 (plus freight).
    I also asked these questions and got the same what I would call a "non-response" from him. I'm not convinced he knows any more than we do regarding fitment of the alternative sizes, but the fact that they have it listed on the site with a 55mm gives me enough confidence that it's ok. I went ahead and ordered the 210x55 dpx2.. We'll find out of the back tire is gonna eat the seat tube really fast I guess, but i'd like the extra travel if it's doable.

If you're like me and want to bump the fork to 160mm, the air shaft and oil are another $60 if you can do the work yourself. So for about $150 in total you can take the bike from 130/150 to 140/160. Head angle will change about 0.5 degrees making the new angle about 66. Will raise the BB about 5mm as well if I'm not mistaken (should help with pedal strikes).
    Also not sold on these numbers, a 160mm Fox36 is 567.1mm axle to crown.(571 for 160mm pike) That's 6.1mm more than than what they list as the max fork length(561mm). Note the geometry numbers on the Commencal site are quoted with a 541mm fork.(130mm travel Pike) 160mm Fox probably isn't a problem with sag, but if you wanted those numbers why not just get the AM to begin with?

I'm coming off a 15 Meta AM, pretty excited for this one. I been aching for longer reach/steeper seat angle for a while now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also not sold on these numbers, a 160mm Fox36 is 567.1mm axle to crown.(571 for 160mm pike) That's 6.1mm more than than what they list as the max fork length(561mm). Note the geometry numbers on the Commencal site are quoted with a 541mm fork.(130mm travel Pike) 160mm Fox probably isn't a problem with sag, but if you wanted those numbers why not just get the AM to begin with?

I'm coming off a 15 Meta AM, pretty excited for this one. I been aching for longer reach/steeper seat angle for a while now.
    You're 100% right... I didn't see that their measurements were with a 130mm fork. I still think that for every 10mm of fork travel is increased, it reduces the head tube angle by 0.5 degrees, right? If that's the case, then a 150mm fork is going to make for a 65.5 degree head angle. I managed to miss the max axle-to-crown measurement as well.

That being said, I was planning on riding the bike in stock form to see how it feels exactly and modify if necessary. I'm still with you on the rear shock. I think that if a 55mm can be used it would be a no-brainer to get the extra cushion. No telling if you're just going to be removing paint from the seat tube.

Either way, I think this is going to be one sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok guys. I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on this bike! To those that have purchased and ridden their bikes a bit, do you have any regrets at all? Or should I go for it?

mtbr member
    Ok guys. I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on this bike! To those that have purchased and ridden their bikes a bit, do you have any regrets at all? Or should I go for it?
    If I try really hard to come up with negative about this bike, I can say it's a pound or two heavier than I'd like it to be. But I'm a heavy rider with a somewhat aggressive riding style and I'm betting this added weight will add up to increased durability; there's no free lunch. Really though this thing rips, mobs, shreds, etc. The only other route I'd consider is saving a bit more and getting a Ripmo but I've got no regrets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice! Iím not worried too much about weight. I could drop 40 lbs off myself and start flying uphills. Iíll take a bit of durability for sure. Iím like 6í4Ē and 250 lbs and pretty aggressive as well. Sounds like it will suit me perfectly!

mtbr member
    Nice! Iím not worried too much about weight. I could drop 40 lbs off myself and start flying uphills. Iíll take a bit of durability for sure. Iím like 6í4Ē and 250 lbs and pretty aggressive as well. Sounds like it will suit me perfectly!
    That's the spirit

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    Note the geometry numbers on the Commencal site are quoted with a 541mm fork.(130mm travel Pike)
    I never noticed that. Does anyone know why they quote the geo like that when they only sell them with 140mm or 150mm travel forks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When I spoke with Commencal CS in november they said that the geo on the TR29 evolved with time but Commencal didn't update the website. Now there's something that'll make you scratch your head...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are some screwy numbers on there. If you go to the main description for the bike (not for any specific model), it lists the seat tube angle as 66 degrees. BB height is listed as 38mm in one place and -38mm in another. They must be talking about BB drop?

Hopefully the numbers will all be fixed within the next month as these things start showing up in bigger numbers. I'm trying to hold out for a review or two as well although I don't think I can go wrong buying without any.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yewwwww!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Climbing?

If I try really hard to come up with negative about this bike, I can say it's a pound or two heavier than I'd like it to be. But I'm a heavy rider with a somewhat aggressive riding style and I'm betting this added weight will add up to increased durability; there's no free lunch. Really though this thing rips, mobs, shreds, etc. The only other route I'd consider is saving a bit more and getting a Ripmo but I've got no regrets.

DO you or anyone else have thoughts about how well the bike climbs? I was heavily considering the Sentinel until I realized that it climbs a bit like a hog. I'm looking for something that's a bit more spunky and easy to spend a day in the saddle in and wondering if the Meta TR 29 fits the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudikidd29 View Post
    DO you or anyone else have thoughts about how well the bike climbs? I was heavily considering the Sentinel until I realized that it climbs a bit like a hog. I'm looking for something that's a bit more spunky and easy to spend a day in the saddle in and wondering if the Meta TR 29 fits the bill.
    I wouldn't say climbing on this bike is a standout feature, but I also wouldn't say it's at all a bad climber. Pretty neutral. I don't notice any bob in the suspension and I haven't really needed to use the climb switch, but it's not a light bike and you can feel that a bit.

That said, it's winter here and my fitness is garbage; I might feel differently in the spring once I'm back up to speed.

mtbr member
    You're feeling those heavy wheels, and soft meaty tires more than a few oz on the frame. On paper this should be a decent climber, I always thought my Meta AM got along pretty well for being such an aggressive bike. This certainly has to pedal better than that variety. But there's a lot personal factors involved too.

mtbr member
    You're feeling those heavy wheels, and soft meaty tires more than a few oz on the frame. On paper this should be a decent climber, I always thought my Meta AM got along pretty well for being such an aggressive bike. This certainly has to pedal better than that variety. But there's a lot personal factors involved too.
    No doubt. Running a vittoria airliner in the back as well, which doesn't help. I did swap the rear tire out for a rock razor and that definitely sped things up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    check out the La Sal Peak.

mtbr member
    No doubt. Running a vittoria airliner in the back as well, which doesn't help. I did swap the rear tire out for a rock razor and that definitely sped things up.
    Snakeskin I assume with the insert? I ran the super gravity for years which proved to be unflappable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Fezzari is about 10 minutes from my house. I demoed the La Sal for about a week. Absolutely love that bike! So good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would prefer to support someone in the states but I really don't want a carbon bike. Call me old school, but I'd rather have the same build for $1k less. Weight isn't super important to me either. I just want a bomb-proof bike that is fun to ride.

The Meta Trail BE and Sentinel tick all the boxes. I prefer Shimano brakes and I'm not a fan of the reverb dropper so I was making some concessions with the Sentinel. The Meta is basically the exact way I'd build a bike (and it's $400 less than the Sentinel). For me, it just makes perfect sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Same here. Loved the way the La Sal rode and loved the bike, but I don't care if I save a couple lbs with carbon either. The BE Meta is pretty much how I would build my bike as well. I didn't like the reverb because I ride occasionally when it's cold and my friends that have the reverb always have trouble with their posts working when its below like 45 degrees.

mtbr member
    Snakeskin I assume with the insert? I ran the super gravity for years which proved to be unflappable.
    Snakeskin, yeah. I really like the damped feel of the insert, but I'm sure it's similar to how a downhill casing feels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For those of you who have built your bikes, how was the internal cable routing to deal with?Is it loose inside the frame or is there some sort of guides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Longer Stroke

[QUOTE=PhoS;13945249]I also asked these questions and got the same what I would call a "non-response" from him. I'm not convinced he knows any more than we do regarding fitment of the alternative sizes, but the fact that they have it listed on the site with a 55mm gives me enough confidence that it's ok. I went ahead and ordered the 210x55 dpx2.. We'll find out of the back tire is gonna eat the seat tube really fast I guess, but i'd like the extra travel if it's doable.

Have you or has anyone else been able to talk to Commencal a bit more about it or take the bike out and see how it goes with the longer stroke length?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Kudikidd29;13953133]
    I also asked these questions and got the same what I would call a "non-response" from him. I'm not convinced he knows any more than we do regarding fitment of the alternative sizes, but the fact that they have it listed on the site with a 55mm gives me enough confidence that it's ok. I went ahead and ordered the 210x55 dpx2.. We'll find out of the back tire is gonna eat the seat tube really fast I guess, but i'd like the extra travel if it's doable.

Have you or has anyone else been able to talk to Commencal a bit more about it or take the bike out and see how it goes with the longer stroke length?
    This is what they said when I asked about it some time ago:

"The frame has been developed around a 210 x 50 mm shock, but the 210 x 55 is compatible as well."

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    [QUOTE=Toni L;13953204]

This is what they said when I asked about it some time ago:

"The frame has been developed around a 210 x 50 mm shock, but the 210 x 55 is compatible as well."

Rad! Thanks for the response! Excited to hear some of yours and Phos thoughts after trying it. I would assume that the geo would be very in line with the intention of the 130/140 setup but just moving it to a 140/150 instead. As of right now, I'm leaning towards going that route and then adding a 1 degree angleset to slack it out to 65.5 closer to the BE edition HTA of 66.

Secondary, has anyone decided to build the bike up with a 44 fork offset instead of the 51 that it's specd with? Seems like a pretty easy candidate for it, being so similar to the geo of other bikes that have been coming out and including the shorter offset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah well it'll be a while, my brushed XL frameset was delayed until feb 22nd

mtbr member
    Don't hold on me, i'm taking my sweet time on this build. The 55mm shock is backordered from Fox until late FEB, and i'm also planning on waiting for the 1x12 XTR. A 150mm fork will slack the bike out beyond the stated 66.5 in the geo chart. I already got a grip2 160mm 36 that I plan to lower to 150, but it's tempting to just try it at 160.. I don't really have any comment on the fork offset, I trust Commencal's decision to stick with the 51mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Well, had hopes of building the bike on MLK day (wife's working and kids are at daycare), but since it hasn't shipped yet, doubt it'll happen.

I'm building from frame up, spec will be almost identical to the BE just XT drivetrain with an e*13 cassette, I'm also a bigger ride so going with a XT 8020 on the front for additional stopping power. Also going with a '18 Fox 36 Factory so its Fit4 and not Grip2 (I personally don't need as much tuneability) but still 150 travel. Fork I went with was 51, most articles/videos I have seen say to stick with the offset the manufacturer "recommends", 44 should work also. I'm curious if anyone is going 44 over 51.

*Just got the email from Clay, delivery delayed again

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    @PhoS right but bumping up the shock to 140 along with a 150 fork will then steepen it out again to the original geo of 66.5 right? The 130/150 BE will be at 66 deg whereas the normal version of 130/140 would be at 66.5.

mtbr member
    @PhoS right but bumping up the shock to 140 along with a 150 fork will then steepen it out again to the original geo of 66.5 right? The 130/150 BE will be at 66 deg whereas the normal version of 130/140 would be at 66.5.
    No the shock is still the same overall length, just with a longer stroke. It won't change anything except how far the wheel compresses. As mentioned before the 66.5deg number in the chart is based on a 130mm fork. The BE edition is likely already around 65.5 out of the box.

*Just got the email from Clay, delivery delayed again
    Just saw that new delay email, this is clearly Trump's fault. I ordered on dec 6th

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    No the shock is still the same overall length, just with a longer stroke. It won't change anything except how far the wheel compresses. As mentioned before the 66.5deg number in the chart is based on a 130mm fork. The BE edition is likely already around 65.5 out of the box.

Thanks for that dropping of knowledge and saving me from some headache

mtbr member
    As mentioned before the 66.5deg number in the chart is based on a 130mm fork. The BE edition is likely already around 65.5 out of the box.
    Commencal need to hire a technical writer or two. The spec sheets and geo charts are a mess. I ordered the wrong size when upgrading to a carbon bar based on their spec sheet for the B.E. They did correct it pretty quickly after I let them know though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Just saw that new delay email, this is clearly Trump's fault. I ordered on dec 6th
    what country are you in? I'm in Canada and delivery was delayed till end of Feb some time ago. Worried it'll get pushed again.

mtbr member
    what country are you in? I'm in Canada and delivery was delayed till end of Feb some time ago. Worried it'll get pushed again.
    Washington, I would imagine your frame would be coming from the Squamish Commencal facility. USA seems to be shipping from Denver now. When I bought my 15 AM it was picked up in Los Angeles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Washington, I would imagine your frame would be coming from the Squamish Commencal facility. USA seems to be shipping from Denver now. When I bought my 15 AM it was picked up in Los Angeles.
    Anyone know why they moved from SoCal to Colorado? They not want the walk-in traffic because of YT and Canyon being neighbors? Sure they wouldn't have this "rail issue" if they were still in SoCal... I could have done "pick-up".
    RANT OVER

mtbr member
    Anyone know why they moved from SoCal to Colorado? They not want the walk-in traffic because of YT and Canyon being neighbors? Sure they wouldn't have this "rail issue" if they were still in SoCal... I could have done "pick-up".
    RANT OVER
    Colorado vs. California? Seems like a no brainer to me.

mtbr member

Smile Final B.E. Build

Alright, so for those inclined to geek over bike builds, here's where I landed with my Meta:

First, I swapped out the stock crankset for a set of 170mm descendant carbon cranks, as I was getting some pedal strikes with the 175mm cranks. I may have been running too much sag (or not compensating for the cold air temp), but my ground clearance has definitely improved and I saved a few grams in the end, which always helps.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1204.jpg
    Also pictured: Kona Wah Wah II Alloy pedals, Specialized zee cage, Oneup EDC pump, Syncros fender.

I've ridden Renthal Fat Bars before and have always found them to be a bit harsh. Of course, the color of those bars is a big part of the aesthetics of this bike, so I stayed with Renthal and grabbed some carbon Fat Bars to dampen and lighten things up. I do think I lost some of the look of this bike with this swap, but the carbon Fat Bars really do feel great.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1207.jpg
    Cleaned up the cables with some heat shrink wrap because it's winter and I'm bored to death. Fancy Fox top cap, also due to extreme boredom.

I learned long ago that it pays to have a backup dropper post, so I benched the KS lev for a 170mm Oneup dropper.
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1206.jpg

This post is really pretty amazing. It took a bit of work to find maximum insertion without putting too much pressure on the cable. In the end I had to shim it down to ~167mm of travel (my mind is still blown that you can do this). It's got a way lower stack height than the Lev and it's really noticeable on the trail. The return is a nice speed and the whole thing just feels super solid--I can't really say enough good things about it. Decided to pair it with the PNW loam lever because orange.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1208.jpg
    This lever really is incredibly machined. Really nice action too.

Some more minor details: DMR Deathgrips, because I come from BMX and a flanged grip just feels right, and a Wolf Tooth sram/shimano adapter thing cleans up the bars a little more.

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1211.jpg

Now for the big one: I wanted to find something lighter than the 2090g E Thirteen TRS wheels that come on the Meta and keep those as a backup set.

I started by looking at dt swiss aluminum options, but I eventually realized that carbon makes a ton of sense now that so many manufacturers are offering lifetime warranties. I almost went with We Are One Agent wheels, but the configuration I chose just ended up being outside my budget. Ultimately, I circled back to E Thirteen with the TRSr SL wheels. These hit the right price point and the new warranty program is just killer. They feel super light and snappy, and paired with a rock razor in the rear, they should spin up super quick. Too bad we just got 6" of fresh snow .

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1202.jpg
    Not pictured (bc it's inside the tire): Huck Norris insert. Note the Vittoria Airliner in the background. I'm not sure which I'll end up running, as I don't want to spoil the weight savings that come with these wheels. Going to try the Huck Norris for now.

I think that's everything. I'm not going to weigh it but it feels noticeably lighter than when I started. Honestly, I never expected to have a bike with this level spec on it. I did sell three bikes to get to this final build, but cheers to Commencal for providing such killer value.

I've only managed about a dozen cold, shakedown, suspension-fiddling rides so far (the 36 basically requires a PhD to get right), but I've already had some laughing-out-of-a-corner moments and I can tell it's going to be a total ripper.
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1189.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet! You added some nice touches there. Those e13s look like one of the best bangs for the buck, and that PNW lever is sick. Surprised you weren't able to slam the 170mm post? How tall are you? Not going to weigh it? I'll gladly take a couple extra ounces for added durability. My AM survived 4 hard seasons so far without a hiccup, I expect the same of this one. Building a new bike every season is flat out wasteful. Download an angle finder app and let us know what the head angle is with the 150mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks killer! Hopefully I'll be pulling the trigger on mine within the next few weeks (assuming deliveries don't keep getting pushed out).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow @jabber127 !! Looks so good!! I ended up not having enough funds yet to get the Meta TR BE but I did pull the trigger and hit the new Meta AM HT Race! Stoked to get the new hardtail with 29 x 2.5 tires! I rode the older 2015 Meta AM HT for a few years and loved it. Hoping to build a TR later this year though! My bike should be here Monday!

mtbr member
    Surprised you weren't able to slam the 170mm post? How tall are you?
    The Oneup post is actually a good amount longer than the KS lev, mostly due to the length of the actuator. The photo in my post shows the absolute lowest i could go without putting too much pressure on the cable routing. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam.
    Building a new bike every season is flat out wasteful.
    This is an accurate statement and an underrated issue in this industry. We need to support companies who make products that last.

mtbr member
    Wow @jabber127 !! Looks so good!! I ended up not having enough funds yet to get the Meta TR BE but I did pull the trigger and hit the new Meta AM HT Race! Stoked to get the new hardtail with 29 x 2.5 tires!
    Nothing like a hardtail with some burly tires. That should be a great bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Sick build! You're keeping the stoke alive! Canadian website updated to show February 12 for delivery date, so that's exciting.

Still lots of snow on the ground and skiing to keep me busy for now...

Australia
    Sick build! You're keeping the stoke alive!
    +1! Thanks for the write-up and great photos.

I'm 5'10, would it be wise to size up to Large seeing as I'm bang on between sizes?
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    +1! Thanks for the write-up and great photos.

I'm 5'10, would it be wise to size up to Large seeing as I'm bang on between sizes?
    Thanks! I'm 5'11" and feel super comfortable on the large. Depends on your preference I guess. Going with a medium would give you a more traditional reach, but this is my first bike over 460mm of reach and I'm really stoked on how roomy it feels.

mtbr member
    Not going to weigh it? I'll gladly take a couple extra ounces for added durability.
    Alright alright. Here's without the Oneup pump/tool and water bottle:
    2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-meta-wieght-2.jpg

Download an angle finder app and let us know what the head angle is with the 150mm?
    I'd say it's somewhere between 65.5 and 66. I got a bunch of different readings from the app I used, but nothing steeper than 66 and nothing slacker than 65.4.
    Last edited by jabber127; 1 Day Ago at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have you let all the air out of the rear shock and cycled the suspension? I'm curious as to how much clearance there is with the 50mm stroke shock. With some uncertainty about the specs I'm hoping that there won't be any issues with a 55mm stroke shock. I'd really like to have the additional travel for some added plushness (is that a word...?).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    Have you let all the air out of the rear shock and cycled the suspension? I'm curious as to how much clearance there is with the 50mm stroke shock. With some uncertainty about the specs I'm hoping that there won't be any issues with a 55mm stroke shock. I'd really like to have the additional travel for some added plushness (is that a word...?).
    I'd say you're fine. The only place you might run into trouble is the mudflap, but I'm sure than can be trimmed. Here's what it looks like with the shock fully compressed:

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1216.jpg

There's plenty of room everywhere else:

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1217.jpg i

2019 Meta TR British Edition 29-img-1219.jpg

mtbr member
    Alright alright. Here's without the Oneup pump/tool and water bottle:

I'd say it's somewhere between 65.5 and 66. I got a bunch of different readings from the app I used, but nothing steeper than 66 and nothing slacker than 65.4.
    Nice, thanks for those. Looking to be pretty much what I expected.

edit: Clearance looks to be a non-issue too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome. Thanks!

Australia
    Thanks! I'm 5'11" and feel super comfortable on the large. Depends on your preference I guess. Going with a medium would give you a more traditional reach, but this is my first bike over 460mm of reach and I'm really stoked on how roomy it feels.
    Thanks. I've only got my hardtail reach numbers to go off. I'd imagine that the actual reach numbers on a FS bike are smaller than quoted, as quoted reach is measured static but when the suspension is sagged - ie when a person is sitting on the bike, the reach would get a bit smaller?
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Thanks. I've only got my hardtail reach numbers to go off. I'd imagine that the actual reach numbers on a FS bike are smaller than quoted, as quoted reach is measured unsagged, but when the suspension is sagged - ie when a person is sitting on the bike, the reach would get a bit smaller? I wonder roughly how many mm less the numbers get...
    Incorrect. You're thinking too hard.

Reach is a static measurement of the distance between the bb and headtube. Has absolutely nothing to do with sagged vs unsagged measurements. In fact, I can't think of any geo measurements besides bb height that change appreciably with sag. Top tube, wheelbase, head angle, chainstay length...all the same regardless of whether it's sitting on your garage or railing down a trail with you on it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Australia
    Yeah, I need to cool off. I always thought that reach was the horizontal measurement from the headtube to where it intersects the vertical measurement coming up from the BB.

Being between sizes I should probably get a size large and run a shorter stem if needed. Done and dusted.
    29+ Stache

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12