Two days in Fruita, what to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Two days in Fruita, what to ride?

I'm going to be in Fruita this next week for two days (Thursday and Friday). I've never been, and I plan on riding about 30-35 miles each day. I'm looking for as much elevation gain as possible. I have been eyeing the "hard earned loops" loop at the Kokopelli Loops area. All other suggestions welcome!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mort188 View Post
    I'm going to be in Fruita this next week for two days (Thursday and Friday). I've never been, and I plan on riding about 30-35 miles each day. I'm looking for as much elevation gain as possible. I have been eyeing the "hard earned loops" loop at the Kokopelli Loops area. All other suggestions welcome!
    Loma loops are fun, but not as much elevation gain as there could be. Except if you do laps on Moore and Mack.

Do the Whiskey 30 or 40 loop in GJ.

mtbr member
    I'd personally do a day at Lunch Loops and a day at Kokopelli...maybe find a way to ride the Palisade Rim as well. But I'm not in your league as 35 miles out there would pretty much kill me. We usually do 18-20 a day out there ourselves.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'd personally do a day at Lunch Loops and a day at Kokopelli...maybe find a way to ride the Palisade Rim as well. But I'm not in your league as 35 miles out there would pretty much kill me. We usually do 18-20 a day out there ourselves.
    Right on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the info folks. Looks like Lunch and Kokopelli loops are the ticket!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Edge loop is there. IMBA Epic, which apparently means "long slog up a jeep road to decend a little bit of single track, and down climb a waterfall to a sandy wash, then slog over endless short, steep hills back to a campsite with no trees for shade" In other words, it is worth doing once.

ETA: Oh yeah, and great views
    Last edited by bipolarbear; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    What about Sarlacc? That's a pretty long ride I hear.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJmtnbike View Post
    What about Sarlacc? That's a pretty long ride I hear.
    Not open until May 1st
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I'd ride the first day at Koko and climb Mack Ridge - Descend Hawkeye - Climb Hawkeye - Descend Mack Ridge - Marys - Horsetheif - Marys east climb out to road and pedal back to car. 23 miles and 2,700 feet elevation.

I'd then Ride Lunch Loops and do Gunny Loop and work in Holy Cross
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'd then Ride Lunch Loops and do Gunny Loop and work in Holy Cross
    This.

Occasionally engagedů
    I'd like to add on to this question, asking a couple of logistical questions for my two days at Fruita/Grand Junction -- April 20th and 21st. I've got the following tentative plan -- ride stuff that with my wife that she would enjoy on Saturday morning, then peel off and ride stuff I would enjoy more in the afternoon while she does something else. I was thinking that we could ride Highline State Park on Saturday morning and then she could drop me off at the Kokopelli trail system. I'd ride there to my hearts content, leaving enough in the tank to get back to Fruita and our hotel by bike. That allows her freedom to do whatever she wants with the car and not have to come find me. Is the ride back to Fruita at least reasonably devoid of traffic? I enjoy road grinds well enough, just don't need to be in traffic. Is there a bike path that does the whole thing? My searches don't come up with a description of riding a bike between Fruita the town and the Kokopelli trail system. On Sunday I figure the 18 Road Trails will give us both something enjoyable to ride before heading home. Thanks!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    There is a paved bike trail from Fruita to Loma (Koko). It basically is parallel with I-70.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR