Two days in Durango in July, must do areas/trails?- Mtbr.com
    Resident Gear Head

Two days in Durango in July, must do areas/trails?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Durango for two full days in July and I'm wondering with the limited time that I have what areas or trails are a must do? I'll be staying just behind the college near College drive and Ft Lewis drive, right next to the Powerline Ridge trail and what appears to be the Telegraph trail system. I am thinking one day at a trail system in town and one day on a shuttle ride. There seems to be a ton of trails in the area so any recommendations would be helpful.

I'll be on a full suspension 150mm trail/enduro bike. I'm not looking for grueling XC rides or gnarly backcountry but somewhere in the middle, fast and fun.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    From your description, I’m not sure if a Durango area shuttle run is what you’re looking for. Most of all of the more popular trails that are often ridden as shuttles still have stout doses of climbing, usually at altitude, and/or meet the definition of “rugged” backcountry rides. There are 300+ miles of trails in town, so plenty there to keep you occupied for 2 days.

mtbr member
    It's not right out your front door by any means but I always spend a day at Phil's World over in Cortez. Admittedly, I'm always in town much longer than you. I also like to ride Twin Buttes, Dry Fork/Junction Creek (probably too XC for you) and the trails on the west side of town (check out Star Wars on Trailforks). I always have a local as a tour guide so I'm not sure what the area is called but there are several trails. As far as the shuttle you want to do, look into Hermosa Creek if it's open. I'm one of those that love it but some people think it's over-rated.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I’m in the “overrated” camp when it comes to Hermosa Creek Trail.

Resident Gear Head
    After doing a bit more research I am thinking I'll ride Telegraph/Horse Gulch one day and Overend Mountain the other. Both systems are rideable from town and with my limited time in Durango I think those two systems are the best bet. Hermosa Creek looks to not be my style.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Hello all! My GF and I will be in Durango for the next week. What trails should we ride?

My gf is a total noob but a great uphill peddler and willing to try any trail within the beginner/intermediate trail rating. The plan is to ride together for the majoroty of the time but she will let me shuttle, shuttle me and let me ride solo. Smooth singletrack would be great! For me the gnarlier the better.

What loops would you guys recommend? Shuttle rides? 2-4 hours max duration? Maximum 3k of climbing?

If you guys can recommend of a place to camp as well. Thanks!