Summer FAMILY trip (need ideas) NOT MTB related- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Summer FAMILY trip (need ideas) NOT MTB related

Not sure where to ask for ideas and input on a CO/WY/MT family trip and receive replies from ppl who actually live/travel in the area than in these MTB forums. Unfortunately, I won't be getting any riding in as this is a "family" vacation and my wife isn't much of a MTBer.

Would greatly appreciate any ideas and best routes with these major destination points:

8/4/17 arrive into Denver, CO
    8/5/17 Breckenridge, CO: rent a 4x4 jeep and drive up to Georgia Pass
    8/6/17 Aspen, CO: hike Maroon Bells
    8/7/17 drive north to WY: looking for a place of interest between CO and WY
    8/8/17 Grand Teton NP
    8/9/17 Grand Teton NP
    8/10/17 Yellowstone NP
    8/11/17 Yellowstone NP
    8/12/17 fly out of Bozeman, MT

1. I could skip Breck if there is there a similar 4x4 jeep rental outfit and destination similar to Georgia Pass in Aspen/Snowmass area? I drove up the Georgia Pass with a buddy of mine several years ago and it was very cool. Definitely need a 4x4 vehicle as the dirt road up is a fun gnarly adventure. I prefer to drive and be on my time so not interested in a guided jeep tour.

2. Been wanting to hike Maroon Bells for years so I won't pass this up

3. Driving to WY so need a hotel to crash along the I80 corridor between CO and WY that's a closer 1-2 hours away from Jackson, WY.

4. Need a hotel for Yellowstone preferably towards the northern area bc we fly out of Bozeman, MT.

No camping as we don't have the gear or time (even though I would love to).

Any input much appreciated.
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec Stumpy, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance, 15 Pivot Mach 6, 18 SC 5010

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For your 8/7 drive, take 82 north out of Aspen to Glenwood, take I-70 west to Rifle, take 13 north out of Rifle to Meeker, then turn west on 64 to Dinosaur. Hit Dinosaur National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/dino/index.htm). Ponder what the Earth looked like millions of years ago, or 6000 years ago if you are a Mormon. From Dinosaur, take 40 to Vernal then 191 north to I-80.

From there, whatever route you need to get where you are going.

mtbr member
    6000 years ago LOL. Thx honk!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec Stumpy, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance, 15 Pivot Mach 6, 18 SC 5010

mtbr member
    +1 for Dinosaur. It's a cool out of the way place. Great scenery and the kids will like the Dinosaur Quarry. Stay in Vernal or Dinosaur has nice camp grounds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post

1. I could skip Breck if there is there a similar 4x4 jeep rental outfit and destination similar to Georgia Pass in Aspen/Snowmass area? I drove up the Georgia Pass with a buddy of mine several years ago and it was very cool. Definitely need a 4x4 vehicle as the dirt road up is a fun gnarly adventure. I prefer to drive and be on my time so not interested in a guided jeep tour.

2. Been wanting to hike Maroon Bells for years so I won't pass this up
    Aspen has plenty of 4wheeling right out of town. Summer road to Richmond Ridge to Taylor Pass or Pearl Pass for the Gnar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post
    Aspen has plenty of 4wheeling right out of town. Summer road to Richmond Ridge to Taylor Pass or Pearl Pass for the Gnar.
    Can you recommend a place to rent a 4x4? I'd like to look into those places while in Aspen since we might go directly there first

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have my own, so I've never rented.
    But I was hiking up Ajax last year and one of my buds was teaching his 16 old daughter how to 4w in a nice new rental and he stopped to say hi.

Luxury Car Rental, SUV Rental, Mercedes Rental, Porsche Rentals, BMW Rental, Escalade Rental, Land Rover Rental, FBO Car Rentals, Go Rentals

There are probably a couple of others. There used to be a couple of places renting Razors. But it was getting out of hand and now the county requires a plate.

I'm not much of a roadie, but I rode up to the Bells Sunday and it was really nice. You do know you have to take a bus high season?
    Even if the wife isn't much of a biker, the coast down is totally awesome!

Aspen also has a bike share program.
    https://www.we-cycle.org/system-maps/why-aspen/

Just riding down the Rio Grande Trail, East of Aspen trail or around the west end, is really nice.

mtbr member
    Hey Low Pressure, Thanks for the tips!
    We have kids in tow (13yo boy and 9yo girl) and we rented bikes and got shuttled up to Vail Pass and then coasted down into Frisco which was great for the family. Would the Rio Grande Trail be similar? I think there is something like that in Glenwood Springs? Need to be shuttled though because we're from Miami where it's below sea level. I was thinking of a Razor but that requires helmets and might be too much for little ones.

I had read that Maroon Bells was bus only so that's gonna be an early morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm pretty sure there is a shop or two in Glenwood Springs that offers bike rental & shuttle for Glenwood Canyon. It's paved bike path with a gradual slope for the ride back to Glenwood Springs. I've ridden in Glenwood Canyon a couple of times, and it's an easy ride even without a shuttle.

I've also ridden a bit of the Rio Grande Trail, just the portion from Glenwood Springs to a little past Carbondale though. That's also a scenic easy ride on a paved path. I think the Rio Grande Trail goes all the way to Aspen.

One thing that might be a bit of a bother is the road construction that's going on in Glenwood Springs. I'm not sure when the worst of it is due to begin(some time in late summer, I think), but even without road construction traffic in Glenwood Springs isn't great. I could see it turning into a real mess pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post

I had read that Maroon Bells was bus only so that's gonna be an early morning.
    You can drive, but you have to be past the check point by 7am. I'd shoot for even earlier, as I've seen them stopping people by 6:45 prime season.

There are tour companies that run bike shuttles up to the Bells.

Definitely come over Independence Pass on your way to Aspen, with maybe a stop in Leadville. It's a neat old town and was a much richer mining town back in the 1880's.

The big construction project in Glenwood doesn't start until 8/14, so you should be OK, with an early start up to Wyo.

Where are you staying in Aspen?
    Last edited by Low Pressure; 06-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.