Zapffe
    Nov 2018

Shuttling biking - advice needed

We are a Norwegian family ( a 14 year old fearing nothing and us parents more enjoying flow trails) planning a 4 week trip from Denver to San Francisco in a rental car June/July 2019.

We would like to stop a few places a long this route ( a few hours extra driving no problem) to do mountain biking. We would need to rent bikes ( full suspension 150-170mm AM/Enduro style). We are looking for locations where we can bike from the city or pay for Shuttling and bike back to the hotel ( rental car not big enough for the bikes). Primarily looking for single track, not very technical trails designed for downhill bikes.

So far we have looked at Durango. Any other suggestions?

Would appreciate tips also for rental companies and mountain bike guides.

High Plains Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapffe View Post
    We are a Norwegian family ( a 14 year old fearing nothing and us parents more enjoying flow trails) planning a 4 week trip from Denver to San Francisco in a rental car June/July 2019.

We would like to stop a few places a long this route ( a few hours extra driving no problem) to do mountain biking. We would need to rent bikes ( full suspension 150-170mm AM/Enduro style). We are looking for locations where we can bike from the city or pay for Shuttling and bike back to the hotel ( rental car not big enough for the bikes). Primarily looking for single track, not very technical trails designed for downhill bikes.

So far we have looked at Durango. Any other suggestions?

Would appreciate tips also for rental companies and mountain bike guides.
    Salida, CO

Absolute Bikes Adventures

Home - Absolute Bikes Adventures - Guided Mountain Bike Rides in Salida, Colorado
    always phoneless

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Crested Butte. Hundreds of miles of rideable trails from the town or mountain. You shouldn't need a shuttle at all. Also 150 - 170mm is pretty massive for most single track in Colorado which is generally tight and technical with routine intense climbing.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Why not just go to a Bike park at one of the resorts? Winter Park, Keystone, Powderhorn, Granby Ranch, Vail, and my recommendation for the family would be Snowmass/Aspen.

Take the lift up and ride down all day. You could easily rent bikes and there are lots of places to stay on the mountain, with the exception of Powderhorn which does not have lift side lodging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenVen1 View Post
    Why not just go to a Bike park at one of the resorts? Winter Park, Keystone, Powderhorn, Granby Ranch, Vail, and my recommendation for the family would be Snowmass/Aspen.

Take the lift up and ride down all day. You could easily rent bikes and there are lots of places to stay on the mountain, with the exception of Powderhorn which does not have lift side lodging.
    Powderhorn does have lift side lodging. Stayed there last summer. Granted there isn't a lot in the way of night life & dining up there but they do have lodging.

http://www.powderhorn.com/mountain-lodging

PS - agree with most other comments. And yes 150-170mm sounds like a lot of bike for most places especially given your description of what people want to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    If you want to smash downhill, just hit the bike park!

Zapffe
    Nov 2018
    Thanks

Zapffe
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for your advice. We are primarily looking for singletracks where we can do combined climbing and downhills ( to also get some exercise). Although a day or two in a bike park could be an option.

Regarding bikes. At home ( west coast of Norway) a 150-170mm AM bike is our normal bike ( steep wet technical trails). We can of course also settle for a lighter bike ( the 14 year old would object).

mtbr member
    Second Ave Sports in Durango has good rentals.
    Plenty of trails you can ride from town. Mostly XC stuff, but you can hit the more technical trails like Sailing Hawks and Raider's Ridge, also right from town.
    Other suggestions, like CB and Salida, are very good as well.

Personally, I would drive at least 4 hours west of Denver before stopping to ride. Otherwise, you could get hung up with the front range crowd.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Team Velveeta™
    Thanks for your advice. We are primarily looking for singletracks where we can do combined climbing and downhills ( to also get some exercise). Although a day or two in a bike park could be an option.
    Just re-read your original post. You say your plan is to be moving between Denver and the west coast June/July.

Most years, June would be too early to be able to ride all the super high elevation stuff in Colorado. This year, 2018 was weird. Everything was riding by end of June. Dry winter. Everyone here in CO is praying for a winter that will leave piles of snow melting into the first weeks of July.

There's lots of rad riding in CO that's GTG in June of any year. But the famous stuff, what you see in the mtb magazines, that's something that might not be riding when you're here. If you have any latitude, start your trip right after the 4th of July. You might get lucky with June 2019 snowpack, but I hope not.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Zapffe
    Nov 2018
    I was a bit afraid that end June (20.-) might be to early regarding snow. Do you have any recommendations for places that normally would be possible to bike? Would Durango normally not be a good spot so early in summer?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I was a bit afraid that end June (20.-) might be to early regarding snow. Do you have any recommendations for places that normally would be possible to bike? Would Durango normally not be a good spot so early in summer?
    GJ, Durango and Pagosa, Cortez, Fruita, and similar areas, should be fine unless there is some unprecedented snow this winter. You get iffy high in the mountains though. But, it totally depends on the year. This past super no-snow year, virtually everything was rideable almost by the end of May. Sometimes it's super snowy and a lot of the high country stuff is snowed in until mid-July.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Durango is great for that time of year. We won't be snowed in!
    Everything near town will be riding. And, MOST LIKELY, some of the high elevation stuff north of Durango will be riding in June too.