Riding in Crested Butte in early June/Best rides in SW CO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Crested Butte in early June/Best rides in SW CO

Got a big mtb vacation 1st week of June with another buddy to SW Colorado. I have been there and ridden all over in the middle of July(spectacular!), but am a little concerned about trail closures due to snow in the higher elevations. Looking forward to not riding during the monsoon season.

Are the Crested Butte and Telluride trails ridable in early June?

How about the highest trails near Durango?

Also, how about the Flight of the Icarus near Grand Junction?

And what are the best trails in Durango? We want to spend at least one day there.

Been to Moab and SW Utah too many times, looking for the goods in beautiful SW Colorado!

We want to do Free Lunch in GJ, Kokopelli and Book Cliffs in Fruita, Trail 401 in Crested Butte and Hartman Rocks in Gunnison. Want to do Durango as well but don't have any rides picked out and one day in Moab for Porcupine Rim.

Any other suggestions?

Any and all information will be welcome and helpful!

Thanks!
    Dave
    Vancouver WA

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpunk7
    Got a big mtb vacation 1st week of June with another buddy to SW Colorado. I have been there and ridden all over in the middle of July(spectacular!), but am a little concerned about trail closures due to snow in the higher elevations. Looking forward to not riding during the monsoon season.

Are the Crested Butte and Telluride trails ridable in early June?
    It is a heavy snow year this year, but the last couple of years I have ridden Crested Butte most weekends of June.

Last year:
    http://seanambermoab.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
    http://seanambermoab.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Worst case is that "full" rides like 401 are closed - in that case you can still ride them as out and back which, in my opinion, make the ride even better as the climb is fun and there are no crowds on the ride.

I love Crested Butte in June, the bugs are not as bad and the crowds haven't arrived.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I doubt any of the epic high country CB rides will be ridable until end of June....
    Maybe not if it warms up early this spring. But there is a TON of snow. I dont even think the low country Gunnison stuff will be opn until may....
    But time will tell.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Schofield Pass (the start of 401) is reporting over 10 FEET of settled snow at the weather station. Here is water equivalence numbers compared with a dry year ('02) as well as a couple wet years ('96,'97):

There is a $HITLOAD of snow up there right now. Wet/snowy months are just beginning, too.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Yeah, I have heard that you guys have been having a heavy snow year. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and pray for for alot of heat in May.

It might have to be a lower elevation trip if so. Too bad because I think Crested Butte is one of the most beautiful places I have ridden in CO, let alone the West.

How about Durango, do I need to worry about higher elevation rides around there? What are the best rides in that area?

Thanks and keep it coming!

mtbr member
    How about Durango, do I need to worry about higher elevation rides around there? What are the best rides in that area?

Thanks and keep it coming!
    If you ride the higher elevation rides around Durango, you will. In town rides will be fine, CO trail to Highpoint will be OK ... maybe, stuff on Missionary Ridge should be open, for the most part.
    But if you have your heart set on Molas Pass->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, probably not so much.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cortez

2 rides I love are Sand Canyon and Phil's World. They will both be rideable then. Kokopelli Bike Shop and several other stores in the area have a bike map with about 45 trails. I've heard Shoots and Ladders is a blast too.
    Sand Canyon is thru and ancient indian site. I have never ridden any other place where my emotions were so stirred. About 15 miles southwest of town in McElmo Canyon.
    Phil's World is on several mesas 3 miles east of town. Lots of fun and some excellent whoops. Lots of rabbits there, my dog took a 30 minute hunt while I looked for her.
    agmtb

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lot's of great exploring in the McElmo Canyon, Yellow jacket Canyon and four corners area. Maybe not always prime single track, but lots of remote jeep trails in beautiful country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    If you ride the higher elevation rides around Durango, you will. In town rides will be fine, CO trail to Highpoint will be OK ... maybe, stuff on Missionary Ridge should be open, for the most part.
    But if you have your heart set on Molas Pass->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, probably not so much.
    Lower half of Hermosa Creek Trail will probably be good to go. Especially if these warm temps continue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

... and if we just ...

Will be on vac. in Crested Butte first week of Aug. Any recommendations on a good shop to rent from ? Would love to try out an Intense5.5 . Thanks !

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yeah, I have heard that you guys have been having a heavy snow year. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and pray for for alot of heat in May.
    If there's too much heat in May Crested Butte may be washed out. Literally.

Look on the bright side - Schofield is only reporting 118" settled on the ground right now. It's goin' down...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Schofield Pass (the start of 401) is reporting over 10 FEET of settled snow at the weather station. Here is water equivalence numbers compared with a dry year ('02) as well as a couple wet years ('96,'97):

There is a $HITLOAD of snow up there right now. Wet/snowy months are just beginning, too.
    Great data! Where is it from?

mtbr member
    I dont know about the rentals up in CB, but 30 miles south in Gunnison (you have to pass through it on your way to CB) is The Tune Up. I work there, and we should have Specialized Epics and Stumpjumpers (maybe Enduros as well) to demo. Last year we charged 40/day, and that should be about the figure we'll work with this year. Call ahead of time to make sure we have some avaliable: 970.641.0285. And sorry, we don't carry any Intense.
    im wearing clothes right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the response,but I'll be coming from the Glenwood Springs area.

Paste eater
    That Graph is crazy -- really crazy.

mtbr member
    There is tons of snow this year. I live in aspen (25 miles away, 4 hour drive, haha) and my folks who have lived hear sense the 50's have never seen this much snow here. it really looks like there will be some snowpack through june this year on high country mountain trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good luck getting anywhere into the high mtns until at least July

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by teocalli401
    Great data! Where is it from?
    NRCS site.

Go hard or go home
    Rent from The Alpineer in CB when you go...be sure to go check out Function Before Fashion at Back Alley Bikes - he doesn't rent, but has the best collection of klunkers and some sweet threads too!
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the recommendation !

Members who have read this thread: 0