OHV type sticker for mountain bikes- Mtbr.com

Poll: OHV type sticker for mountain bikes

This poll will close on 01-16-2020 at 09:47 AM

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

OHV type sticker for mountain bikes

Just starting a poll to see who would be in favor for starting a OHV type sticker for mountain bikes. I know the state of CO has a program for OHV (ATV, Motorcycle, and SXS) Looking to see if we can get some support for a program like this for bikes. Basically we could mirror the OHV program and supply titles and stickers for Mtn bikes. All bikes would have a title and would help with bike thefts. All of the funding after direct costs would go into funding trails and education for the entire state. What do you think?

Yes
    No
    Maybe

mtbr member
    Go away. And "hell no" was not an option on your survey.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

slow
    I've been hearing discussions about this sort of thing lately. There may be some merit to some sort of statewide user fee to help support trails and conservation like the OHV tags do, but I don't think stickers for each bike and titles are the answer. I have numerous bikes with regular turnover in my fleet, so that would get expensive. What about tourists / non-resident riders? Will they have to buy a temporary sticker wjen the cross into Colorado? Enforcement and administration would be challenging and expensive, leaving little money for actual trails and conservation. Then comes the question of where the funds are allocated. Will they be spent in the areas collected or spent somewhere clear across the state? Also, what will insure that the funds actually go to trails and conservation instead of into the general fund?
    The question of funding continued trail building and bike specific recreation is a valid one and will be coming up again, but I don't beileve this is the solution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    As a hunter, I am accustomed to shelling out $, sometimes considerable amounts, for permits, tags and licenses. I can certainly see both sides of this argument: while hunting is consumptive, many hikers and bikers have absolutely 0 idea the amount of impact they are having on wildlife habitat. If the mgt fees went to conservation and public lands management, I’d be open to exploring the idea.

mtbr member
    How about a $10 increase in the cost of a bike that goes to the relevant "area" that bike was designed for? (I.E. MTB revenue goes to wildlife, land management etc., road bike revenue goes to road safety etc.) Having stickers, registration and licensing isn't going to prevent any crime but may solve some - if it was a preventative measure there wouldn't be any car thefts. Add to that, the "tags" would have to be so large that they could be seen easily they would not be a useful addition.

How would we propose to handle a child's bike?

Like someone else said, I'm not against the idea of trying to have some kind of feed back into the systems that support our sport(s) - but licensing and registration is a step in the wrong direction IMO.

These fees never are used as intended, they just create more bureaucracy to collect the fee. Whens the last time you heard of green sticker funds being used to purchase land for recreation?
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    These fees never are used as intended, they just create more bureaucracy to collect the fee. Whens the last time you heard of green sticker funds being used to purchase land for recreation?
    Much depends on how the state handles these licenses. For example, in some states, hunting and fishing licenses are the sole source of revenue for state game agencies. In short, their entire operating budget, which does include the purchase and acquisition of properties to make them public lands, is sourced from these fees (so, yes, lands are sometimes purchased using license generated revenue). That being said, most states apply these licenses to the state general fund and give the state game Agency an allotted budget. In CO, for example, a non resident elk tag costs $660 (elk tag + required fishing license + required habitat stamp and required search and rescue surcharge). The state sales about 200,000 of these non resident tags annually (resident tags are only $60) so it’s no small chunk of change, but it goes to the general fund and not necessarily all of it is reinvested into conservation.

Now, another direction might be something like the Pittman-Robertson act that taxes ammunition at the federal level for the purpose of distribution to state conservation programs. A more general federal “sporting goods tax” on outdoor equipment dedicated to the purpose of land conservation would not be an entirely inappropriate idea. The infrastructure for collection and redistribution to state and federal programs already exists, though I suppose, for that matter, the infrastructure for vehicle, ORV and boat licensing already exists as well.

There are different ways to think about it. If you look at the history of public lands, hunting was the predominate recreational activity for years as well as the only user group paying fees associated with these lands, however that dynamic has shifted dramatically in many places where skiing, climbing, hiking biking etc have increasingly become the most common form of recreation and land use, but these users don’t pay any direct fees associated with that land use. Hunting fees still carry much of the weight, but that doesn’t seem to be tenable long term as hunting numbers, though stable and even showing some slight growth in recent years, continue to become a smaller portion of the larger population and the costs of these licenses will reach a tipping point if they continue to increase as they have up to this point.

I don’t claim to have the answers, but I do think the preservation of public lands and appropriate conservation programs associated with these lands are of great importance. Maybe the owner of a $5,000 Mtn Bike should be expected to contribute directly, maybe they shouldn’t. IDK.

mtbr member
    The out of state fees they charge for game tags are atrocious IMO....and I'm not even a hunter. However, the difference between hunters and MTB riders is you actually NEED that Fish & Game/Wildlife enforcement arm that need to be funded for obvious reasons. There is no enforcement entity needed for mountain bikers in general = no need for a license/fee to cover those costs.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Keep e-bikes on FS roads, Moto trails, etc.....not on singletrack. What the hell is a sticker going to do?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk