Looking for general information about Montrose...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Looking for general information about Montrose...

In my never ending job search to move to a place with better mountain biking, I landed a tentative offer for a position in Montrose. I feel like I relate better to the majority of mountain bikers which is why I posted here to ask about general information about Montrose. I remember driving through Montrose last year to get to Telluride for the Yeti Tribe Gathering. However, Montrose didn't really stick to my memory banks.

A few questions.

First and foremost, how's the mountain biking? Specifically, trails local to Montrose. I'm looking at MTB Project at the trail systems and there doesn't seem to be any in town. A lot out in the foothills though. How long does it take to get to the trails from town(Montrose)? Can one go for a quick 1-2 hour ride after work on the weekdays without having to drive more than 30-45 mins to get to a trailhead? Do the trails do well after some rain or snow? Would it be better to drive Fruita or Telluride or Gunnison or Crested Butte to get rides in?

Demographics... What are the types of people that live in Montrose? Age groups, political affiliations, lifestyles, etc.

Traffic... How's the general traffic during rush hour times?

Amenities... Montrose is in the middle of nowhere it seems. What would be considered to be the closest 'major city'?

Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?

Weather... Does it snow half the year? Does it rain a bunch? Would MTB be considered a seasonal activity in Montrose?

Yes, I know I can look a lot of this up online myself(and I intend to), but I would like to hear from like-minded individuals.

Thanks!
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

I am Walt
    Cue honkinunit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Formerly of Kent
    Buzzard Gulch is 7 miles outside of town. On roads with little traffic and decent speed limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?

Weather... Does it snow half the year? Does it rain a bunch? Would MTB be considered a seasonal activity in Montrose?

I'm in GJ, so..... As to COL, I'm pretty sure we and Montrose is alot less. Basically here in GJ you can mountain bike year round, probably the same as Montrose.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

mtbr member
    RAT trails are your most local. They are really pretty. I think they are really fun, but you might get bored of riding them over and over and over again. I personally wouldn't because you have access to so many trails with a 1-2 hour drive from there with a huge amount of variety. The RAT trails also do close down in the winter and stay closed even when the riding is good due to Elk Migration. I believe they open around the middle of April though. It gets pretty hot pretty quickly in the Spring. I don't believe it gets much snow at all from what I saw. Hell, even nearby Telluride hardly gets any snow most years.

I haven't ridden the other trails near that area, but obviously you are a quick drive to the San Juans that have the prettiest trails... in the US possibly. Fruita/GJC is nearby. Not far from Moab. Durango has awesome riding and the trails near Cortez are surprisingly fun.

It's my opinion that Montrose is one of the most well placed locations a mountain biker could live. Fruita/GJC is my #1 vote since so much riding is in the local area, but Montrose has so much nearby that is not a huge drive and way less crowded living.

Montrose is like almost all of the Western Slope in that it skews heavily towards conservative. The only real high paying jobs are in the oil and gas industry and healthcare. Oil and gas is collapsing, so if you buy now, I would expect to lose a lot on a house and the last collapse took much longer than the rest of the US to recover.

Delta is just south of Montrose and a total shithole and extremely conservative to the point that all my coworkers I used to have that were from Delta were the super in your face about politics types and surprisingly racist. It was actually a big factor in why I quit that job and ended up leaving Fruita for a place with the type of work I was looking for.

Fruita was my favorite place I have ever lived, but I would be really happy to be in Montrose as well. I like to be near ski resorts right now, but if I ever give that up, I would head straight to Fruita/GJC or Montrose.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Cue honkinunit...
    Once he stops (bunkering?) sheltering in place, OP is going to get a lot of facts n figures.

Don't people also mtb in Peach Valley ? I go there for moto but I think Sidewinder and other trails draw mtbs.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Delta is just south of Montrose
    Just north, actually. Everything else is pretty accurate, though.

RmR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here is some more detailed info on the riding in Montrose. There is a lot here, more than just Buzzard. It is not very well known, but all of it is on Trailforks and Mtbproject. And FYI, the Yeti Tribe Gathering came to Montrose in 2016: https://www.yeticycles.com/feature/g.../2016-montrose

- Buzzard Gulch: 12 mile singletrack trail system about 10 minutes from town. Plans are in the works for an additional 6-7 miles of trail here. Easy to get a 60-90 minute after work ride. Rideable typically february to november.

- Peach Valley/Sidewinder: motorized trails within 10-20 minutes of town. Sidewinder runs from Delta to Montrose and is an advanced technical trail. The other trails at Peach Valley are so-so for mtb, alot are too steep and not bike friendly. Rideable feb to november, hot in summer.

- Dry Creek (Coyote Loop, Piney Creek, Fingers,etc): A little farther out of town, maybe 20-30 minutes. Motorized trail system with some very good routes for mtb. I ride here alot and it seems only Montrose residents know about these trails? There are no good published maps, but it is on mtbproject and trailforks. I can do rides from 90min to 4 hours here. Rideable feb/march through november/dec.

- Spring Canyon and the Uncompahgre Plateau: This is where the Yeti Tribe did their rides. There are several good trails in the National Forest and BLM here including the Whole Uncolada shuttle ride. Elevations up to 10k here so good in the summer.

- Cerro Summit: City park ~15 east of town. About 6 miles of nomotorized singletrack here, with the City making improvements and some additions this year. Not alot here, but you can get in a couple laps and it is at 8,000ft so is cool when everything else in town is hot. Great for after work or for a shorter ride.

- Electric Hills: a new 20 mile nonmotorized trail system about 15 minutes out of town will be constructed in the next 2 years. This is about 5 minutes from Buzzard Gulch. This will be a great addition!

- More to come: the Montrose-Uncompahgre Trails (MUT) Chapter of COPMOBA is hard at work and has more trails in store for the area.
    Check out https://www.copmoba.org/montrose/

I can reliably mtb in Montrose from sometime in february until the end of november. We get some snow but not alot. I know people who road ride through the winter with a few weeks off. BTW, if you road ride or do gravel there is a ton of great riding here and in Delta County.

Overall there is a good amount of quality mtb in Montrose, and like others have said there are so many great places accessible within a traffic-free 3 hr drive (Salida, Durango, Dolores/Cortez, Gunnison/CB, Telluride, GJ/Fruita, Moab). I love the access to the desert, San Juans and West Elks, just so many places to go on the weekends its hard to fit it all in sometimes.

RmR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    And to quickly answer some of your other questions...

- Demographics.
    70% white, 30% hispanic. I don't know actual stats but there are alot of retirees, esp from Front Range and CA. What there are not alot of is single people in the 20s-30s. In general Montrose is poorer than the rest of CO (looking at percent of kids on free lunch, household income, etc). Wages are lower here, but COL is less.
    The biggest industries are health care and construction (montrose builds telluride).

- Traffic... How's the general traffic during rush hour times?
    None. There are more cars on the road at rush hour but you get through with one light change. I have a 7 minute commute and live on 4 acres outside city limits.

- Amenities... Montrose is in the middle of nowhere it seems. What would be considered to be the closest 'major city'?
    GJ is 1 hr away, other than that Denver is a 5hr drive or a 45 min flight.
    Montrose has a Walmart, Target, JCPenny, Home Depot, Murdoch's, Petco, City Market, Safeway and natural Grocer's.
    We have 3 breweries and a distillery.
    Medical is strong with 75 bed hospital, most medical specialties and a cancer center.
    Montrose has fiber internet.
    We have the biggest and newest Recreation Center on the western slope
    Airport: due to Telluride we have direct flights (or did before corona) to Denver, SLC, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Newark. Some of these are seasonal only but our airport is pretty good for our size.

- Cost of living... Is it anywhere near as bad as Denver's?
    Nope, but housing is a more than you would think. There is a housing shortage and things sell fast and inventory is low. There are alot of people selling their homes on the front range and buying here. Finding anything good under $250k is hard. But for $300-375 you can get alot.

mtbr member
    One thing I would add is that hopefully you can check out the area before making a decision. The Western Slope is my favorite place I have ever lived and I have lived in a ton of locations across the US, but the reaction I usually get talking to people about these places when I mention how much I love them "that place is a total shithole." Even people that share my same interest often tell me how much of a shithole the area is.

I am all about outdoors stuff. Biking, hiking, backpacking, paddle boarding and the Western Slope is just full of all that and centered around a variety of places that offer even more of it, but lots of people just see lethargic towns that don't have enough to do within the town and of course most people depend on the job that brought them there like me. Once you step away from that job or lose it, you'll often struggle to find your way back to the money you were used to making.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Guys... Thanks for the info! The word from the horse's mouth is worth a lot more than a generic overview that I've found on Google. This would be a position with the Federal Govt so these things can take literal months. Right now, I'm weighing my options and if it's even a smart idea to move during this time. But Montrose seems super low key, which would be a nice change of pace from KC(which surprisingly has great mountain biking as well).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just curious, what'll you be doing with the Feds in Montrose? I've seen a few positions there recently... just wondering which one you got.

Hope it works out for you - I have a few buddies that live over there and they really do like it, although they're not riders.

mtbr member
    Well, if you are in KC and move to Montrose and mtn biking is your main concern and you have never been out that way before, you'll need to wear two diapers and have a vomit bucket on hand as you shit yourself and vomit at the same time from how badass the mountain biking is. Unless you are into going to clubs, cultural centers, or can't wait for items you buy to be shipped a few days, you will be amazed with Montrose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagi View Post
    Just curious, what'll you be doing with the Feds in Montrose? I've seen a few positions there recently... just wondering which one you got.

Hope it works out for you - I have a few buddies that live over there and they really do like it, although they're not riders.
    It's a telecom position with the BLM. Sounds like a pretty cool gig. Lots of going out in to the wilderness to do things with repeaters, radios, and antennas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    It's a telecom position with the BLM. Sounds like a pretty cool gig. Lots of going out in to the wilderness to do things with repeaters, radios, and antennas.
    Sweet! I almost applied for that one... glad to see it's going to somebody who's gonna enjoy the area! Good luck!

I work for the Feds also - over on the Front Range. I'm waiting/hoping for a different gig to open up, and I might make a move, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sweet! I almost applied for that one... glad to see it's going to somebody who's gonna enjoy the area! Good luck!

I work for the Feds also - over on the Front Range. I'm waiting/hoping for a different gig to open up, and I might make a move, too.
    Thanks! I saw a posting for Fort Collins recently but it appeared to be have very specific specialized skills. So specific that I definitely would not get referred unless I lied in the questionnaire. Iíve been trying to get in to the feds for the past 6 months or so. But Iím waiting to see how the country is in about 2-4 weeks. Like what if thereís a 2nd wave from Covid. It sucks not being able to just make a decision and stick with it. But we are living in strange times. Gotta know when to make a move. Gotta know when to stay put. And gotta be flexible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Some people try to get into the Feds for a helluva lot longer than that... hell, it even took me a couple years before I got on, plus, it took six months to hire me. They thrive on paperwork. But, that's a different conversation.

You may not know this, and the BLM/DOI might not disclose this, but you can accept the job and request to delay your start date. I work for the BOR (also part of the DOI), and one of the guys we hired a while back delayed his start date something like 90 days. Information like that could help you make the decision - it sounds like you're doing the right kind of thinking, anyway, and thanks for that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Oh here's a question I just thought of. Is Uber and Lyft a thing in Montrose? Hell, are taxis? This position may require travel and getting a ride to and from the airport is something important to think about.

RmR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh here's a question I just thought of. Is Uber and Lyft a thing in Montrose? Hell, are taxis? This position may require travel and getting a ride to and from the airport is something important to think about.
    No Lyft, there are one or two Ubers but I wouldn't count on it being available. No taxi service, and the limo shuttles only go to telluride. Most will leave their car at the airport and pay for parking or get a ride with someone. The airport is so close it isn't a big ask to get someone to drive you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RmR View Post
    No Lyft, there are one or two Ubers but I wouldn't count on it being available. No taxi service, and the limo shuttles only go to telluride. Most will leave their car at the airport and pay for parking or get a ride with someone. The airport is so close it isn't a big ask to get someone to drive you.
    Thanks. It's a small town so I don't think this will be too big an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So looking at what's available for rent in Montrose... It's slim pickins. I'm single with a dog and I'm not seeing any apartments at all, and very few houses that allow dogs. I have 2(1/2) vehicles. An SUV, small car, and motorcycle. Ideally, I'd like to rent a house with a garage for however long the lease is and buy a house to move in to.

I may have to expand my horizons and find a place in Grand Junction. Though I'm not really liking the idea of an hour drive to work and home each day.

mtbr member
    That drive sucks. I would rather live in Delta if I was working in Montrose. Homes were extremely cheap when I was looking about 4-5 years ago, I bet they haven't gone up an insane amount there yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That drive sucks. I would rather live in Delta if I was working in Montrose. Homes were extremely cheap when I was looking about 4-5 years ago, I bet they haven't gone up an insane amount there yet.
    The only feasible choice if I don't want to compromise my quality of life and living space is to bite the bullet and buy a house sight unseen. The majority of homes there fall within my budget and what I'm willing to pay. However, it's a huge risk.

mtbr member
    When I was in a similar situation moving to the Junction area, I just ate the cost of a cheap hotel for about 2 months. It was me, my wife, 2 cats and the occasional big spider, but it wasn't too bad. They definitely allowed dogs in there as well. Long term rates are usually pretty reasonable, then you have enough time to at least see every interesting home available in the area.

There's no way I would buy sight unseen. I've walked through way too many homes that look nice in pictures and are total crap in person. Junction has the worst craftsmanship in homes that I have ever seen, by far. I am sure Montrose isn't far off in that department. I wouldn't buy unless you were ready to hold on to your house for 10 years either. Maybe natural gas can rebound much faster than the last time, but last time they capped off wells like this, it was a long recovery. I am watching homes in Junction and Montrose over the next year. Thinking about snatching one up myself so I can rent it out and have a place to settle once I get tired of my ski resort love affair.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agree with Steezus here - that drive would totally suck. Olathe and Delta wouldn't be bad. If a guy can stick it out for a little while, I'm hoping the housing market is gonna drop over there with the amount of oil and gas in the area. Be patient.

Is there any way you can get a house hunting trip paid for? The Bureau I work for'll put you up in a hotel for a week so you can find a place to live before you start your TDY. Just ask 'em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I agree with Steezus here - that drive would totally suck. Olathe and Delta wouldn't be bad. If a guy can stick it out for a little while, I'm hoping the housing market is gonna drop over there with the amount of oil and gas in the area. Be patient.

Is there any way you can get a house hunting trip paid for? The Bureau I work for'll put you up in a hotel for a week so you can find a place to live before you start your TDY. Just ask 'em.
    New hires aren't eligible to house hunting trips according to the OPM manual. Relocation is not offered. At all. They emphasized that in the interview at least twice. Relocation and recruitment incentives, according to the posting, MAY be paid out to high quality candidates. So it'll be a matter of trying to negotiate that with HR. I'm also going to try to negotiate a step increase to try to match my current salary, or get close to it. But as far as negotiations go, asking for a step increase AND a relocation/recruitment incentive can be far-fetched depending on how much they really want me. Maybe they'll give me a step increase and no incentive. Maybe the incentive and no step increase. Maybe neither. Maybe both. It's rolling the dice at this point, but asking wont disqualify me.

I haven't seen any rentals in Delta or Olathe unfortunately. That being said, if a firm and final offer is given, I will definitely make a trip out there for a weekend or so and check the area out. Buying a house sight unseen sounds crazy, but since I'm paying for myself to move, it would make more sense financially. I'm a DV eligible for the VA loan, so I can minimize out of pocket costs and put no money down on a house. The amount paid at closing would be roughly equal to a rental's deposit and first and last month's rent. Not to mention that I would only be moving once. Moving is not cheap. And I hate doing it. So I pay people to move me.

So right now, I'm just thinking of a game plan so in case I do get a final offer, I have a general idea of what I need to do to make this happen.

mtbr member
    May be totally off topic, but there is not a chance in hell I would ever throw away the substantial drop in origination fees with a VA loan by not putting any money down on what sounds like your first home. That loss (3.6%) covers more than an entire year of rent. Also, being sight unseen, and right before a nearly inevitable housing market crash. You are going to be upside down before you know it and will really want that VA loan for future homes that are more expensive than what you are looking for now later on in your career.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    May be totally off topic, but there is not a chance in hell I would ever throw away the substantial drop in origination fees with a VA loan by not putting any money down on what sounds like your first home. That loss (3.6%) covers more than an entire year of rent. Also, being sight unseen, and right before a nearly inevitable housing market crash. You are going to be upside down before you know it and will really want that VA loan for future homes that are more expensive than what you are looking for now later on in your career.
    Are you speaking about the VA funding fee? If so, I'm exempt from paying that. I'm also exempt from paying that for future subsequent use. I'm a 100% permanent and total disabled combat veteran. Not the total disability based on individual unemployability(TDIU) kind. I'm the kind that can still work with no restrictions on income and line of work.

As far as the housing crash goes, I'm not looking to move immediately. If I'm offered a firm and final offer, I will try to delay my start date as far back as HR will allow.

mtbr member
    Ah, I am sure you are right that your disability rating gets you completely out of the origination fees. Me and my wife are both ex military and we used up my VA loan for the house in Fruita. It was a very easy process. Realtors always tried to steer us away saying they are always missing deadlines for VA loans, but nowadays they are usually faster than traditional loans. It was a good experience for us, but since it was a new build, they weren't as concerned about inspections, which missed a ton of problems we had to deal with after moving in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Ah, I am sure you are right that your disability rating gets you completely out of the origination fees. Me and my wife are both ex military and we used up my VA loan for the house in Fruita. It was a very easy process. Realtors always tried to steer us away saying they are always missing deadlines for VA loans, but nowadays they are usually faster than traditional loans. It was a good experience for us, but since it was a new build, they weren't as concerned about inspections, which missed a ton of problems we had to deal with after moving in.
    Yea that's what I'm afraid of buying sight unseen. The biggest issue I'm seeing the complete lack of rental properties in Montrose, Delta, and Olathe. And you guys are right. I do not want to drive from GJ to Montrose every day during the week. And what makes it worse is that I would be on call on a rotational basis so it would be in my(and my employer's) best interest to be living in the area I'm working in.

Believe me. I've looked through many different rental/real estate websites for rental properties. Even CraigsList. It's slim pickins. I do not want to buy a house sight unseen. But the job actually sounds like something I would truly enjoy. Do I take the risk for the awesome job? Or do I decline due unfavorable circumstances? The thing about the good federal jobs is that most people who get hired stick around for a very long time. So this position in Montrose is, for all intents and purposes, a one time deal. Something like this probably wouldn't pop up again for a very, very long time.

mtbr member
    Well I will say it one more time. You should just get a hotel or consider renting in Junction for 6 months so you don't get shafted on a house. We have had the absolute worst luck with home inspectors that have no idea what they are doing. I have no faith in them at all anymore. That is why I was hoping the VA loan would net us a great inspection and even that inspection missed a lot of things. If the house was not under warranty we would have been out a lot of money.

Depending on your price range, waiting 6 month could be the difference in paying an extra 50-100k less. The last crash had a couple coworkers see close to 100k in value lost and it took over 10 years to regain it. I think once all the extra unemployment benefits disappear, it's going to be a fire sale. The oil and gas people have absolutely no way to make that kind of money in that area with their job skills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well I will say it one more time. You should just get a hotel or consider renting in Junction for 6 months so you don't get shafted on a house. We have had the absolute worst luck with home inspectors that have no idea what they are doing. I have no faith in them at all anymore. That is why I was hoping the VA loan would net us a great inspection and even that inspection missed a lot of things. If the house was not under warranty we would have been out a lot of money.

Depending on your price range, waiting 6 month could be the difference in paying an extra 50-100k less. The last crash had a couple coworkers see close to 100k in value lost and it took over 10 years to regain it. I think once all the extra unemployment benefits disappear, it's going to be a fire sale. The oil and gas people have absolutely no way to make that kind of money in that area with their job skills.
    Thanks for the insight. I will definitely be monitoring the housing market there more closely now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Have you tried Facebook? Go there and search for Montrose 4 Rent. You can post what you're looking for, budget, etc. Rentals in these rural areas are tough to come by for sure but maybe somebody will have something. I also agree about not buying sight unseen and getting a good inspection. There seems to be little to no oversight when it comes to construction on the Western Slope. And you want to see what you're getting into with neighbors.

Also Colorado is awesome but it's not for everybody, for some it's not what they expect, definitely worth checking it out first if you've never been here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have you checked with the BLM to see if they'll put you up in a hotel when you get here? Something for the transitional period... I forget now what it's called. I had a friend who got 2 months of hotel time paid for when he moved to Estes Park. That was also DOI. OPM's gotta have something to say about it, eh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Have you checked with the BLM to see if they'll put you up in a hotel when you get here? Something for the transitional period... I forget now what it's called. I had a friend who got 2 months of hotel time paid for when he moved to Estes Park. That was also DOI. OPM's gotta have something to say about it, eh?
    None of that applies to new feds. No house hunting, no transitioning, nothing. Nada. Zilch. Only current feds transferring and PCSing. And the position doesn't include any sort of relocation reimbursement so I'm on my own if I decide to accept a firm offer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Buying a house sight unseen sounds crazy, but since I'm paying for myself to move, it would make more sense financially. I'm a DV eligible for the VA loan, so I can minimize out of pocket costs and put no money down on a house.
    Just keep in mind that you may get a ticking timebomb with deteriorating issues even when you see the house - foundation, roof, infestation - you name it. House is the biggest investment for most of the people, so it would stink big time to screw up on that.

PS Check Airbnb and try to reach out directly to the renters - you may get both long term discount and save on ~15% (or so) Airbnb fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Jeez seems like the general consensus of houses built in Western Colorado is that they are junk. I may rethink my position about moving here at this point.

I'm not a fresh out of college grad, bright-eyed, going to my first real job kind of guy. I'm experienced, seasoned, and settled professional. Meaning I care about the work I do. I know for a fact that having an unstable housing situation affects my work ability.

I have enough stuff to furnish a small house. And I have multiple vehicles. I can't have my stuff sitting in storage indefinitely. Because storage costs money. And moving that stuff out of storage costs money. And I'm not paying AirBnB upwards for $4000 a month to look for a more permanent place to live.

I'm also not going to live temporarily in GJ and commuting an hour each way on weekdays until I find a place. In all my years of working, I find that the commute to and from work does in fact hold a lot of weight in my general quality of life.

Your bike sucks
    Man, just find a Montrose rental. I know it's hard from a distance but there should be an avenue for you there. You may not be able to move & stabilize in one swoop if you want to be particular about your house / location - or you can just wing it and hope for the best. I think people are just cautioning you that getting a proper inspection and seeing the goods is prudent as there are some 'junk' housed out there.

For what it's worth, Montrose is not exactly a perfect match for me (I'm Durango) but would I hop skip and jump over there vs. Kansas / Missouri ? Heck yeah. If after a few years of getting a sense of things and exploring, it should at least be a good springboard for venturing out and pinpointing the next place. Not everyone values the same things so take that for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Man, just find a Montrose rental. I know it's hard from a distance but there should be an avenue for you there. You may not be able to move & stabilize in one swoop if you want to be particular about your house / location - or you can just wing it and hope for the best. I think people are just cautioning you that getting a proper inspection and seeing the goods is prudent as there are some 'junk' housed out there.

For what it's worth, Montrose is not exactly a perfect match for me (I'm Durango) but would I hop skip and jump over there vs. Kansas / Missouri ? Heck yeah. If after a few years of getting a sense of things and exploring, it should at least be a good springboard for venturing out and pinpointing the next place. Not everyone values the same things so take that for what it's worth.
    https://www.zillow.com/homes/Montros...oom%22%3A11%7D

So here's a link of what available for rent that MAY allow dogs in Montrose on Zillow as of right today. A garage may or may not be included.

Believe me. I've looked and looked. Not just on Zillow. But the literal dozens of different realty/rental sites available. To include Facebook AND Craigslist. Realistically, this is all that is available. And what's available today may not be available when it's go time.

Your bike sucks
    ^right. It will probably be inconvenient and difficult - certainly from a distance. Rental market is hot now and it's interesting times. This won't just land in your lap but you have a leg up because you have a job setup.

You situation is not unusual. When I moved to Durango (with dog, car and 3-4 motos and a garage of bikes), I did at least two in-person visits solely for the purpose of getting a rental. It helped being there in person - but I was scouring all the usual internet stuff daily. Even ten years ago, Durango rents were easily 2X what Montrose is now and the availability was challenging with college and general demand. Being there made a huge difference in locking down a place as the prospective landlords got a chance to see I (and my dog) wasn't a shitshow and I can lay down $$ - this stands out against a bunch of internet kooks and tire kickers.

Long story even longer - if you want it, plan a visit or two and keep working toward it. There's a s-load of people who want to move to CO and most flame out or won't put in the effort. While not easy, if you apply yourself and are methodical about it - it will happen but you may need to make some concessions or be inconvenienced by the process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    ^right. It will probably be inconvenient and difficult - certainly from a distance. Rental market is hot now and it's interesting times. This won't just land in your lap but you have a leg up because you have a job setup.

You situation is not unusual. When I moved to Durango (with dog, car and 3-4 motos and a garage of bikes), I did at least two in-person visits solely for the purpose of getting a rental. It helped being there in person - but I was scouring all the usual internet stuff daily. Even ten years ago, Durango rents were easily 2X what Montrose is now and the availability was challenging with college and general demand. Being there made a huge difference in locking down a place as the prospective landlords got a chance to see I (and my dog) wasn't a shitshow and I can lay down $$ - this stands out against a bunch of internet kooks and tire kickers.

Long story even longer - if you want it, plan a visit or two and keep working toward it. There's a s-load of people who want to move to CO and most flame out or won't put in the effort. While not easy, if you apply yourself and are methodical about it - it will happen but you may need to make some concessions or be inconvenienced by the process.
    Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely open to all avenues. But what's available and feasible is what's available and feasible at the time. This may include buying a house sight unseen(or maybe seen only once or twice) if I really, really wanted to move there. I definitely plan to make at least a few in person visits during some weekends, and this goes double if I intend to buy a house. The reality is that I need to work with what is available and remove all the 'what-ifs'. There will be a point where I may just have to take the risk or back out completely.

Your bike sucks
    and remove all the 'what-ifs'. There will be a point where I may just have to take the risk or back out completely.
    Yup. I try to encourage people who seem like their life would be enhanced from a change like this... as dealing with the uncertainty can be daunting and a deterrent.

During you visits - be sure to be doing neighborhood drive throughs. Speaking about Durango but probably portable to Montrose, there are a surprising amount of 'For rent signed' houses than don't make it to the internet. Almost like they are looking for a local renter who is already here . Also - even if a house is already spoken for - it doesn't hurt to get in line. There are flakes and ppl back out of stuff - I think I got at least 2 callbacks this way. Also connect w/ your coworkers, or, if possible, make small talk w/ locals - difficult time for that these days but the "I know someone who knows someone who has a place" is legit.

Amongst the things I was prepared to do:

Over rent, over pay
    Lock down a place by paying for a month or two before I arrived
    Make due with a few less features or wants
    Do a temp short term rental (yuk) using storage space and search for a proper place
    Deal with a lag before my rental was available

To continue my personal story, after putting in some proper legwork, I found a sweet place. I locked it down by throwing money and enthusiasm at it. It was bigger and better than I needed and but with space for 3 cars in a garage I was in heaven. Paid a premium, signed and wrote 1st, last, deposit on the spot and committed to beginning my lease before I actually moved. The first morning when I opened my balcony doors, breathed in that fresh spring Durango air and overlooked the Animas river - any and all doubt evaporated and I knew I had arrived. It was a great place and I stayed there about 3-4 years before I bought a house (a whole 'nuther story).

Happy adventuring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    And I'm not paying AirBnB upwards for $4000 a month to look for a more permanent place to live.
    Went and looked for a month stay July 1st - August 1st, price range seems to be starting from 1.5k for 'the whole place'. Private room starts from ~500. Just saying...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    Went and looked for a month stay July 1st - August 1st, price range seems to be starting from 1.5k for 'the whole place'. Private room starts from ~500. Just saying...
    Yea, no. I have a dog. The vast majority of AirBnB do not allow dogs. And by filtering out which allow pets, I'm left with 3. A tent. And a private room. That's a no for me dawg.

And the third one is a cottage which looks promising. BUT I don't have a start date yet. And if I did, it would probably be during the summer and prime time for travelers to book these places. Being able to book an entire place for a month during peak season is probably not going to happen. There are a lot of things I'm willing to do. But one of those is not looking for a place to stay every few days while I'm working a full time job that requires travel from time to time. Too old to be jumping from hotel room to AirBnB and back again. I'm also NOT going to board my dog indefinitely while I'm looking for a place either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I briefly chatted with a friend in Montrose today and he mentioned that some guys in your position have stayed at Kaleigh Cottage (or something, not sure... maybe somebody on here knows more about it), and they've had to get storage units to get by. I guess the cottages have negotiated decent monthly rates for guys in the past. He also said most people post ads on FaceBook "Montrose Buy, Sell and Trade." It sounds like it's definitely where people post instead of Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I briefly chatted with a friend in Montrose today and he mentioned that some guys in your position have stayed at Kaleigh Cottage (or something, not sure... maybe somebody on here knows more about it), and they've had to get storage units to get by. I guess the cottages have negotiated decent monthly rates for guys in the past. He also said most people post ads on FaceBook "Montrose Buy, Sell and Trade." It sounds like it's definitely where people post instead of Craigslist.
    Thanks. I'll dig up some information on that cottage and see what's up with that FB group.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks. I'll dig up some information on that cottage and see what's up with that FB group.
    Sure thing. If I can find out more about the cottage(s), I'll check back in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Yea, no. I have a dog. The vast majority of AirBnB do not allow dogs. And by filtering out which allow pets, I'm left with 3. A tent. And a private room. That's a no for me dawg.
    Missed the doggy part, my bad. Anyway - good luck.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't let the quality of home situation scare you. You just want to crawl through the house inside and out on top of paying an inspector that might give you recourse for a catastrophic issue discovered down the road.

I've spent close to two months in KC while training for one of my jobs. At this point in my life I would rather kill myself than live there.

Me and my wife and two cats have moved about 5 times in the last 10 years when the DoD wasn't paying. I honestly don't see what is so difficult about packing your stuff up and moving it to storage and staying in an extended stay for a couple of months while you look for homes. Storage units are dirt cheap in the area. We switched to low paying careers, but even when we were printing money on demand, we still moved ourselves and it was never a big deal, but finding the best house possible was always the top priority and we were always pretty happy with what we found since we allowed ourselves the time.