BLM please grade the County Road 18 on the way to the North Fruita Desert camping.- Mtbr.com
    JeffcoHo

BLM please grade the County Road 18 on the way to the North Fruita Desert camping.

The Road 18 road is incredibly wash boarded. We lost the awning off our pop-up camper and we talked to someone that had their cabinet doors fall off. Next time no camper, just going to pop a tent.

Also, I know mountain bikers are not the type of people that take their trash out there to dump it but there are some areas in the overflow camping that were just trashed. We hauled some old computers and furniture out when we left but there is a lot more.

Awesome trip though, keep it coming Fruita/GJ!
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lost a few teeth there today.

BLM better yet ..Pave it!

JeffcoHo
    Well they are about to start charging for camping out there so they should be able to maintain the road.
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo View Post
    Well they are about to start charging for camping out there so they should be able to maintain the road.
    1) If you wish to complain, complain to those responsible, not on an interwebz site

2) I believe 18rd is a county road, the BLM would have nothing to do with it's maintenance.

3) Fees collected for the camping area will be allocated for maintenance of that campground, not the road.

4) if the washboards are really bad, I'd recommend slowing down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The last time I was out there when they were grading the road, it was only graded to a certain point. Therefore, I think there may be multiple road owners.
    The washboards are really bad. The problem is that people haul ass down that road (of which I am guilty of) which accelerates the creation of the washboards. Paving would be nice, but may also be cost prohibitive.
    Trash dumping in the desert is prevalent from Mt Garfield to 18 Rd. Crazy why people do that.

Model of Grace and Tact
    What? Why should the BLM maintain a COUNTY road?

Colorado
    Maybe they should pave the trails too. I lost the reflector off my bike because it was so rough. Just a joke, but I hear you. Those washboards can do some damage.
    Last edited by Drop the Seat; 05-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I say let it get worse. Weed out the people who need a high thread count.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

JeffcoHo
    Sorry, should have named the thread "Warning: Road 18 severely wash-boarded." As to give people a heads up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo View Post
    Sorry, should have named the thread "Warning: Road 18 severely wash-boarded." As to give people a heads up.
    Or just not make a thread complaining about road maintenance. Pretty sure that road always sucks. Just go faster that smooths out the bumps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If they pave it, there will be weigh more trash dumped out there. Grade it
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It's very unfortunate that many residents of Mesa County still have the impression that BLM land is a "free dump" for all their household junk. I even caught some jokers burning wire on some BLM land near our house. Wire (stolen of course) is burned to remove the insulation so that the remaining copper can be sold as scrap. I wasn't too comfortable riding past them, but they just waved and kept stoking the fire. FWIW, melted insulation leaves quite a mess as I discovered later.

Given that there's only one BLM Ranger for every six trillion acres of BLM land (maybe I exagerate a bit), chances of any of these stellar local residents getting caught is slim unless someone calls it in. But, you must call the BLM Ranger, not 911 or the Sheriff. License plate numbers help.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Question:

Is it driving too fast that causes washboards?

I've always assumed it was the opposite - and solid-axle trailers. The feedback loop of the suspension cycling exacerbates the wear.

I know my truck feels outta control when I'm going slow and mucho better when I'm going fast. Confirmed by Mythbusters:
    Rough Road Driving
    Myth statement: A car will achieve a smoother ride on a rough outback road by being driven faster.
    A car will achieve a smoother ride on a rough outback road by being driven faster.As far as driving on non-washboard roads, there was no solid conclusion due to a conflict of data. However, when they tested a "washboard" road, the Build Team were able to confirm the theory that driving at a higher speed will indeed cause the body of the car to float over the ridges: the wheels of a car oscillated wildly, but the car suspension allowed for a relatively smoother ride at high speed.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    But does a nagging passenger, riding shot gun effect the outcome of a smooth ride on a washboard road?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Question:

Is it driving too fast that causes washboards?

I've always assumed it was the opposite - and solid-axle trailers. The feedback loop of the suspension cycling exacerbates the wear.

I know my truck feels outta control when I'm going slow and mucho better when I'm going fast. Confirmed by Mythbusters:
    Rough Road Driving
    Myth statement: A car will achieve a smoother ride on a rough outback road by being driven faster.
    A car will achieve a smoother ride on a rough outback road by being driven faster.As far as driving on non-washboard roads, there was no solid conclusion due to a conflict of data. However, when they tested a "washboard" road, the Build Team were able to confirm the theory that driving at a higher speed will indeed cause the body of the car to float over the ridges: the wheels of a car oscillated wildly, but the car suspension allowed for a relatively smoother ride at high speed.
    How your truck/car handles on washboards at various speeds may not be related to what speeds cause or exacerbate washboards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    How your truck/car handles on washboards at various speeds may not be related to what speeds cause or exacerbate washboards.
    Check out "washboard" on Wikipedia.org

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    18 road is good again. They put down some mag chloride or whatever they use and graded it. Yay!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    40mph and up makes washboard roads *much* more tolerable from a driving perspective.

mtbr member
    BLM, Please give me a Mercedes Benz...I must make amends.

Members who have read this thread: 0