Rolling
    Htfdigapbv?
    Last edited by lidarman; 12-09-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Feeding your addiction

Yippee! It's Pugsley season!

Finally some snow, it's about time. As most people find their riding season winding down, I find myself giddy with anticipation of the next snowfall. Can't begin to describe how fun these things are, opens up a whole new world. Last Thursday was the first good snowfall of the year in Loveland. My phone rang in the morning and El Beastro was on the line, "I just called in sick, we're going riding" he said.
    Conditions were superb, a few inches of fresh fluff and temps in the mid teens. Aired the tires up to a whopping 8psi and hit the trail. Couple of hikers and 1 bike beat us to the punch, but we still found some fresh untracked stuff farther up the trail.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Rolling
    Indeed Larry. Saw some tracks today--going both ways.

It might be my next bike.

Feeding your addiction
    The next day we made it out again for a quick ride at Bobcat. Less snow there, but still lots of fun.
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    It might be my next bike.
    Cool! You're welcome to come up a take a spin on one sometime this winter.

Larry

trail waggler

Nice!

I really want to try one this year!

BTW, how much of a problem is a DOL (dog off leash) on those trails...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    I really want to try one this year!

BTW, how much of a problem is a DOL (dog off leash) on those trails...
    Normally we never take the dogs there, but we were literally the only 2 people on the trail at that time, so figured it wasn't an issue.
    How's that ankle doing?

Larry

Time is not a road.
    Ha Ha, eFF that! It's still 60 here

Moosehead
    Something's starting to click for me here. Looks cool.

So do you seek out fresh tracks as in skiing, or do you want other trailbreak out in front for traction? How much fluff can the Pugs still clear thru? Does it handle boilerplate and mixed conditions? What do you avoid other than sheer ice or dust over ice? Studs a needed option? Slo mo only or can you still let em run a little? Do you pretty much seek out ss type terrain, or can these things get enough traction and braking for steeper or techy stuff?

mtbr member
    I would love to try one of those bikes! Nice pics!

This is how it started...
    I don't know how many Pugsleys are around but I did see tracks up at Brainard Lake on Sunday's hike. Got me thinkin' about tryin' one.
    Fat tires with 8 psi? Does that feel like your pedaling through mud?
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile Where can I get one Cheap

I saw one on LOTB about a month ago and did not have time to stop and talk. I want one but my wife cannot understand why I need 2 road bikes, 2 xc race bikes and now a pugsley...anyone have a cheap one I can buy or know where I can look. I tried the usual craigslist/ebay with no luck.

Thanks!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Yo Larry - Can/did you ride anything on the Pug tires that you wouldn't have been able to ride on 2"-odd's? I kind of fall into the whole 4wd flotation tire versus tall skinny debate whenever I think about getting a snowbike. Can you settle it?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Nice Larry!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

drinks from the fountain
    Can you clean the climb at DB in that much snow with the pugsley? Its pretty tough with 2.25s.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sweet! Beastro comes out of retirement for winter...errr I mean Pugsley season :-))

trail waggler

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    How's that ankle doing?
    Looks like one more surgery, to remove the hardware...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Something's starting to click for me here. Looks cool.

So do you seek out fresh tracks as in skiing, or do you want other trailbreak out in front for traction? How much fluff can the Pugs still clear thru? Does it handle boilerplate and mixed conditions? What do you avoid other than sheer ice or dust over ice? Studs a needed option? Slo mo only or can you still let em run a little? Do you pretty much seek out ss type terrain, or can these things get enough traction and braking for steeper or techy stuff?
    Light fresh stuff is sweet, but they're great on packed snow also. Up to around 5-6" is fine if it's light more than that and it gets pretty slow. Mixed conditions (especially heavy snow that's broken up but not packed) can get pretty tough, we've had some death march rides when conditions are wrong. No studs, they get their traction from the width and super low pressure of the tires. Definitely slower than normal, but you can let them run when conditions are right, I've hit over 20 on them. We ride a lot of the same stuff on them as on our normal rigs, including some steeper/techy rides like Devil's Backbone and Ginny trail at Bobcat.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Yo Larry - Can/did you ride anything on the Pug tires that you wouldn't have been able to ride on 2"-odd's? I kind of fall into the whole 4wd flotation tire versus tall skinny debate whenever I think about getting a snowbike. Can you settle it?
    That day in particular a lot of it would have been rideable on a normal bike (light fluffy snow, and first real snow of the season so still dirt underneath) but we've certainly done a LOT of riding that would be miserable/impossible on a normal rig. Honestly I originally never thought I'd use it enough to justify having one, but then we had that really snowy winter a couple years ago...I probably rode it 40 days that winter while most people were stuck inside doing nothing, worth every penny.

Larry

Moosehead
    Thanks for the replies and inspiration Larry. Your photos and those from cytoe recently gave me the bug. Santa brought studded 2.1's to get me out, but it's pretty obvious looking at you guys cutting the fresh that the Pug is the way to go in the snow.

Merry Christmas and Fresh Tracks to All!

Feeding your addiction
    Beautiful day out there today!!

Members who have read this thread: 0