mtbr member

Winter Riding w/ BB7's

Anyone have any ideas how to keep the rear BB7 caliper on my Prophet from freezing up during winter riding... when it's really cold/riding in the snow? The front has no problems. I've changed the cable housing and cables. It seems an issue with the caliper. Aside from winter riding, there are no problems with the BB7's. Love 'em.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Maybe they have a glaze on them, try wiping them down with some denatured alchohol? When mine squeal or get dirty that usually does the trick.

edit: thought you meant the rotors, check that spring that holds the pads may have got dislodged, but if they work in warmer temps??
    Last edited by PBR me!; 12-04-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

skillz to pay billz
    brake more often = heat

Stand back
    I've never had that issue w/ my bb7's, in 7 yrs of running them and lots of snow days. Your caliper might need disassembled/ cleaned.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

hehe ...you said "member"
    is it hard to engage the brake, or is it not releasing when you let go? both?
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I remembered seeing this on icebike some time ago:

[URL="http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/testedonice.htm"/URL]

Scroll down to the Parsons Bo Peep Ammonia. The reviewer used it on iced up brake pads, but it should work on disc calipers. I never tried this, so take it with a sizable grain of salt.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    ...Use it...?
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the late reply.

The issue seems to be with the caliper release. I can engage the brake (although when it's frozen, it's harder to engage) but then the caliper won't release. It's like they're stuck in the engaged position... almost like there's not enough spring tension.

I've dissassembled it and cleaned it several times... even going so far as to lube it with some Finish Line lube that is designed to be used in cold weather.

There's no problem stopping... once those pads engage the rotor, I usually come skidding to a stop because I can't feather my braking action.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    BB7s have an adjustable spring tension for the release. There's a small screw on the body towards the back whith which you can increase the spring tension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinker
    BB7s have an adjustable spring tension for the release. There's a small screw on the body towards the back whith which you can increase the spring tension.
    Yeah... tried that....

Maybe I should just pee on it to defrost it.

Not much use for brakes when riding Waterton in the snow, but it get's a little dicey on some other winter fav's that have a slightly steeper pitch.

Members who have read this thread: 0