Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

New question here. Winter Park/Fraser rides?

Wow, my first post.

Looking to head to WP area this weekend for riding. I have done a ride on the ski area that was fun, but I'm more into being away from civilization. I keep hearing that the riding in the area is great, but a friend who went once and picked a ride off a map said it wasn't anything special. I don't know what he did (but will ask), but I do know I don't want to do that ride.

So, where is the good non-resort riding up there? Don't need to know all the trails, just a few choice ones to start with.

Thanks in advance.

ride
    If you're really looking to get away, go north to Silver Creek/SolVista or whatever it's called now resort. The trails up there are fantastic - lots of fun swoopy, windy, meandering trails. Better views than about anything else down in the valley near WP. True, it's a ski resort, but there's not too many trails on the ski runs. Most of them have a very backcountry feel and are way back up out of the way. There's some great views to the East from the top as well. Stop by or call the guys at Totally Wired Cyclery in Fraser. It's a great shop and I'm sure they'd help you out with more specifics.

Otherwise, the close to WP down valley stuff is good, too - Flume, Zoom, Chainsaw, WTB, etc are all good trails. You could do a connect the trails ride in the valley and have enough to last you all day.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shread Ready
    I was up there riding hard a few weeks back during Jazz fest and let me tell ya... Those trails rocks on the mtn! Only $12 for a ride to the middle of the mtn. Then you can ride up the rest of the mtn and have a kickin downhill run! Or, for $22 you can ride the lift all you want. Good times. Have fun and post what you do.
    Last edited by Thrasher; 08-26-2005 at 03:42 AM.

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.epicsingletrack.com/trails/trailmaps.html

On that website, go to the race site and check out the route on the last race. That ride starts in Fraser and ends at the base of WP, but you stay pretty clear of the ski resort feel the whole way. There are other variations as well, but that ride's purty sweet. Just park the car at WP and "shuttle" yourself to Fraser via the bikepath. I need to get out there myself this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great riding at Winter Park & they are adding more. I was fortunate enough to ride both Winter Park & Keystone last week. From what I hear the same company that runs Whistler in BC is now running Witner Park & they are looking to add more trails. What they have already is excellent. While we were riding we ran into 3 people who were marking & mapping for new trails.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC
    http://www.epicsingletrack.com/trails/trailmaps.html

On that website, go to the race site and check out the route on the last race. That ride starts in Fraser and ends at the base of WP, but you stay pretty clear of the ski resort feel the whole way. There are other variations as well, but that ride's purty sweet. Just park the car at WP and "shuttle" yourself to Fraser via the bikepath. I need to get out there myself this year.
    The last race is tomorrow. I would certainly avoid those trails on Saturday. Sunday you should be good to go.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    We ended up going to Keystone (friends wanted to go there instead of WP) and riding keystone gulch, aqueduct trail, then some loops towards the dredgeboat on the Tiger Rd side, then back. Very muddy but very fun.