mtbr member

Winter Park / Epic Singletrack Series Tires

I am looking for opinions on good tires for the XC race series at WP. By good I mean light and good traction. I used Schwalbe Rons, Ralphs & Nics last year. Started with a Ron out front and a Ralph in the rear. The tread was chewed off the Ralph in half a season. I didn't really like the Ron on the front either. It seemed to give up a lot of slip before it would catch in the turns. I tossed the chewed up Ralph, moved the Ron to the rear and got a Nic for the front. This setup was pretty good except for getting over wet rocks and roots with the Ron. I didn't notice a big increase in rolling resistance with this setup. I am thinking about going with Nics all the way this year. Anybody doing this? How about Ralphs F & R? I know I have seen guys out there riding that?

mtbr member
    There are some good tires out there for racing Winter Park. These tires are not the light but I personally think the Maxxis Ikon with Exo works well in the rear with an ardent in the front.This year I will run the new fast trak on front and ground control on the rear for the series.

I have no experience with Schwalbe as a race tire.

Erik

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Is all i used Last Summer up at WP Since they came on My 575 I only have used Panaracer and Klein Death Grips over the last 15 years so I Hope this helps, I cant say i did the Epic Singletrack Series but on the DH they worked Awesome !! Best tire i ever had
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    I ran a Spec. Renegade 1.95 Sworks rear and a Captain 2.0 Sworks Front. This year I am going with a FastTrak 2.0 Works in the front. This was on an Epic Expert Carbon. Never had any issues with slipping, etc. Also ran that rear tire all year and didn't have any cuts at all in races in Fruita, WP, Colorado Springs. I did switch to a FastTrak Control for the rear in the Firecracker 50.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why, but I have always overlooked Specialized while searching for tires. I guess I had been assuming that all there stuff was on the heavy side. After looking at their website, I see that is definitely not the case. Now I have some new options to consider before dumping another $100-$150 into rubber this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ran the Racing Ralph Snakeskins all year. I was getting 500-700 miles of fairly aggressive mountain biking out of them before I would put fresh tires on. To me they seem to have a nice mix of traction vs rolling resistance. If you think you need more traction then they provide, and I think they are fine, run a nic front and a RaRa rear. btw, I weigh about 160 and run them at 28 or so PSI tubeless. The setup makes a HUGE difference.

mtbr member
    I ran Maxxis Aspens with pretty good results on my Superfly 100. They are a little sketchy but slide predictably and are definitely fast.

mtbr member

Small Block Eights

Thanks again for the additional posts. I tried some Small Block Eights on Green Mountain and Dakota today. Overall, I am pretty happy with these tires. The eights work well except for getting a little loose in the rear around fast corners with loose over hard. I am not sure if that is something a tire can correct.

Members who have read this thread: 0