Old, stale, negative

Winter foot warmth?

What winter shoe set up are you running? I just got the MW80 Shimano Gore Tex 4 strap kicks today. Review soon.

Ride Everything
    I ordered some Pearl Izumi Amfib's to go over my Sidi Dom's, and the dang things are way too big. Can anyone recommend a good shoe cover for Dominators?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

hehe ...you said "member"
    Can anyone recommend a good shoe cover for Dominators?
    I have a pair of neoprene covers that I ordered off Nashbar - fit like a glove over my dominators. But I wear a size 50 ... no way I'm going to find a shoe cover that's too big.

Even with the covers and double socks, I need the chemical warmers when it gets below 35 degrees - cold toes can make a good ride miserable.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just got the Performance (for 19 bucks) that come in sizes so you really get a good fit and they are really awesome. I put hot hands warmer in each toe for really cold. Pick up box at walmart not rei $.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1344
    I took both my road and mtb shoes to the store to get a good fit.
    I had run the gators that lasted for many years. Frosty hands/feet over 20 years or so may make you tough but it will kill the circulation in your fingers/toes....

Light freak
    I picked up some of these to try out. Used them in my tennis shoes while shoveling snow yesterday. MMMMM, nice and toesty! (toesty - get it!)

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2419

trail waggler

These look cool...

If you still have some value in your stock portfolio, or if you are getting a government bailout...

toasters
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Last night with temps in the single digits and some hike a biking through snow drifts up to my knees my feet were nice in cozy....what I wore you ask....My regular Specialized shoes that I wear all year long, a pair of snowboard socks, and the Performance Neoperene Shoe covers.

mtbr member
    I've used the performance neoprene sock with success. I wear a pair of Underarmour all season socks underneath them slide them on and then put on my show. I've worn this combination down to around zero and my feet were still feeling good.

Cameron
    Go Big or Go Home

Old, stale, negative
    An hour in the MW 80s with a thin sock and had no issues with cold. Those plus neoprene covers and I think I can take on anything.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Lake Winter Cycling shoes... warm and comfy in the worst crap!

http://www.lakecycling.com/Products/MXZ302__MXZ302.aspx

Stiff yet compliant
    My Ghetto winter shoes are a pair of cheap Performance shoes 1/2 size larger than normal so I can wear thick wool socks. Then I covered up all the mesh venting with duct tape. Not pretty but it gets the job done.
    In the past I have never really done much biking in the winter. I am starting to do more now so I may end up putting the money into real winter shoes like the Lakes or Pearl Izumi's.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I use the following down to about 5F degrees for my feet....

1. Wool socks (Swiftwick or DeFeet)
    2. Sidi Dragon 2
    3. Craft Nemo Booties

I did a recent blog post on winter gear/clothing. Check it out....
    http://www.jeffkerkove.net/2008/12/w...m-wearing.html

Candlestick Maker

Neoprene covers and clipless

I use the Performance neoprene covers, regular clipless shoes, and merino wool socks. That keeps my feet fairly warm down to about 20F.

On the other hand, I've found that clipless sucks hugely if I'm putting my feet down in the snow/ice. For me, if I am doing anything resembling mountain biking, flat pedals and insulated hiking boots are the best solution. Warmth is way better and I have no pedal problems.

baker

Light freak
    Is there any difference between the DeFeet Woolie Boolie and the Blaze socks? I have the Blaze version thinking they were the warmest available.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Is there any difference between the DeFeet Woolie Boolie and the Blaze socks? I have the Blaze version thinking they were the warmest available.
    Woolie Boolies are thicker, I believe.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Depends on conditions

It depends on conditions for me. Last night I rode with flats and gore tex snow boots, although I do prefer to clip in. When it is below 28 and snowing I think clipless becomes less advantageous.

I've tried numerous winter shoes over the years and although some of them keep your feet warm, I always seem to get cold from the metal on metal of being clipped in. Since I prefer being clipped in I have discovered the end all solution and it doesn't really cost $.

First of all if it is 28 degrees or warmer I wear my regular shoes with a pair of thick merino wool mountaineering socks. If it is colder and/or snowing like last night I wear a thin bike sock, then a safeway bag, then the aforementioned thick wool sock, and then my regular bike shoe. The key is that the safeway bag creates a vapor lock so your foot can't get cold and you cannot feel the metal on metal of your cleats/pedals. It sounds like a lot of fuss but it really works, your foot will be really sweaty afterwards but I guarantee your feet will stay warm.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

"En ten trill rot!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    What winter shoe set up are you running? I just got the MW80 Shimano Gore Tex 4 strap kicks today. Review soon.
    Hightops with Wonder bread bags.

Seriously though I'm thinking about getting a pair of Sealskinz socks. Water, wind and wallet proof. Anyone tried these? If so are they any good?

Old, stale, negative
    What kind of temps are you running? That's sounds like a spooky handle you got there hoss.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic_aSS
    Hightops with Wonder bread bags.
    Personally, I prefer newspaper bags to Wonder bread bags... I've been using "platic bag socks" (in combination with a wool sock and a wicking sock) since college and they really do work well--both wind and waterproof. The best part is that they fit in any shoe and weigh almost nothing in a camelbak.

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I ordered some Pearl Izumi Amfib's to go over my Sidi Dom's, and the dang things are way too big. Can anyone recommend a good shoe cover for Dominators?
    The Amfib shoe covers do come in different sizes. I use PI Amfibs size XL over my size 46 Dominators, they fit just about perfectly. What size shoe do you wear?

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    The Amfib shoe covers do come in different sizes. I use PI Amfibs size XL over my size 46 Dominators, they fit just about perfectly. What size shoe do you wear?
    I wear a 44.5, and ordered the XL Amfibs, which are for 44-47. I'm sending them back and getting a pair of the L, as well as some of the Sidetrak booties to try.

"En ten trill rot!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    What kind of temps are you running? That's sounds like a spooky handle you got there hoss.
    Colder than you could handle kemosabe!
    I'm thinking all you need out there is a flask, union suit, flip flops, and fanny pack. Other than that, you might as well drive your Escalade to the club with sweat pants and a gun homie.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic_aSS
    Colder than you could handle kemosabe!
    I'm thinking all you need out there is a flask, union suit, flip flops, and fanny pack. Other than that, you might as well drive your Escalade to the club with sweat pants and a gun homie.
    Diamonds are a girl's best friend yo. Ice requires protection unlike your lame cold feet on your kiddy bike.

I've tried numerous winter shoes over the years and although some of them keep your feet warm, I always seem to get cold from the metal on metal of being clipped in. Since I prefer being clipped in I have discovered the end all solution and it doesn't really cost $.
    I know it's pricey picking up a second pair of shoes just for cold conditions, but Specialized makes a cold weather shoe with a reflective metal foobed to minimize heat loss

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=40661&eid=342

Don't know how they work personally (they don't come in my size ) but I've heard they're very warm.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    I know it's pricey picking up a second pair of shoes just for cold conditions, but Specialized makes a cold weather shoe with a reflective metal foobed to minimize heat loss

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=40661&eid=342

Don't know how they work personally (they don't come in my size ) but I've heard they're very warm.
    I have a pair of those- the reflective doodad works well. They're warm just because they're windproof. If it's really cold, a pair of wool socks and some chemical footsie warmers work.

Sometimes I still have to ditch the cleats and run winter hiking boots with flat pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I know it's pricey picking up a second pair of shoes just for cold conditions...
    Buy used. My primary riding buddy recently picked up some Nortwave MTB and the Grizzly off the Denver Craigslist both for $80. I picked up a pair of Answer Kashmir last fall off Ebay for less than $50 including shipping.

I love mine (around a size bigger than norm for big fat socks) and Thomas is happy so far with his kicks.

..ouch
    Wool socks and 5.10's treated with Camp Dry waterproofing.. toasty.

Old, stale, negative
    More time in the Shimano MW80. Super happy. They are not as stiff as my Sidis but more comfy by far. Winter is going to be good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I recently posted the same inquiry (what to wear on the feet in cold weather) on the Minnesota Off-Road Cycling forum, figuring that their members would have the skinny on cold weather clothes and foot gear. The most popular shoe for winter mountain biking in Minnesota was the Lake MXZ302, which has a double boot. I ordered a pair from Lake (they are pricey) and should receive them any day now. I'll post a review once I have used them for a few cold weather rides.

Old, stale, negative
    I chose Shimano because they were less clunky and I plan to ride in temps around 15 degrees, no less. Spent a lot of today in them, loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by tundraline
    The most popular shoe for winter mountain biking in Minnesota was the Lake MXZ302, which has a double boot.
    Look forward to your review. I didn't relize Lake had sizes up to 50. Thought the only option for me at that size was SIDI - great shoes, but pricey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Look forward to your review. I didn't relize Lake had sizes up to 50. Thought the only option for me at that size was SIDI - great shoes, but pricey.
    Lake also has wide sizes. One consistent theme in the MORC discussion regarding winter footwear was to buy shoes that are big so you have room for thick socks and dead air space inside the shoe, which contribute to warmth.

Ride Everything
    I finally found some booties that fit my 44.5 Dominators -- Sidetrak! Not as spiffy looking as the PI Amfibs, but they stay put better, and are much easier to put on / take off. The medium Sidetraks fit 8-10.5, but could probably handle up to size 11 (depending on the brand of shoe). I tried large and x-large Amfibs, and neither of them seemed to fit well.

Light freak

A little more info to my own question...

What is the difference between the DeFeet Blaze and the Woolie Boolie?

Found this mentioned a few times -
    The Woolie Boolie is a study in versatility. Slightly less bulky than the BLAZE , with more foot insulation than the standard Air E Ator and Wool E Ator , Woolie Boolies are great for cold weather sports. 64% Merino Wool, 34% Nylon, 2% Lycra.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    What is the difference between the DeFeet Blaze and the Woolie Boolie?

Found this mentioned a few times -
    The Blaze have slightly thinner tops, and Air-E-Ator (sp?) "strips."

Members who have read this thread: 0