Winter Bike Commuter Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter Bike Commuter Thread

There must be others out there. Identify yourself. My coworkers call it 'free target practice for cars'. I call it fun for hard core bikers...

Truth be told I stop commuting when the roads are snow covered. This is just to dangerous on my daily route. But cold is not an excuse. Attire doesn't look as professional as usual but helps in the cold.

Today I heard a noise similiar the hissing a small puncture makes. So I took of the goggles to have a look. Was probably just a bit snow under the tires. When I tried to put on the goggles again they were frozen over inside and out. Continued without them. Man my face was freezing.

What do you look like communting now?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I normally do, but have given it up for the car on the single digit temp days. I go in at night, and home in the morning, so it's been below my cold riding threshold both times for a while now.

Eh, I'm being a wuss about it, I know. Riding on snow/ice is no biggy, but the single digit temp cold air just bugs my lungs too damn much.

It's got fenders on now, and no rear brake. Splits time between a QR seatpost mounted rack and a messenger bag. One light on the bar, one small light on the helmet, one LED flashy on the back of the helmet, one on the back of the rack, one on the back of the bag.

Fixed is fun on the snow and ice!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

user-created
    My 2-mile commute has jumps and sparse traffic. Snow makes it better. Whee!

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    I just got fenders and studded Nokian tires for my commute bike. I'm only 1.5 miles from work, so the commute is actually pretty fun when it's all icy.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I look like Klaus when I'm winter riding since we get real winter here with snow, ice, and plenty of cold.

Last week our temps would have been the equivalent of -27 F, I was out riding and was pretty comfy and felt pretty secure on the roads.

For winter duty my beloved old Kuwahara Cascade (rigid) has transformed herself into an SS and gained a studded front tire to deal with the ice patches. My SS HT also sees some winter duty when the riding is a little more recreational in nature.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I'm 10.2 miles from work with a elevation change of 400 feet (downhill to work), I stopped after snow fell and tried once after that and got a flat.

anything under 25 degrees and I drive
    No one ever got ahead by following the status quo
    06' GT i-Drive 5 4.0
    99' Concord ProFever
    Myspace

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I prefer the downhill with large tires.
    But I commute out of nessesity. Have about 20 mi. one direction so when i do ride i bus it in the morning and pedal in the evening anyways. However the last three weeks have seen no bikeing.
    So ill drop the skinnies and rock the nearly hard tail to the light rail - and stay off the roads.
    Just a point but the trails are always in better condition than the road. What is plowed for a lane is half that which leaves no room for bikers. OUt of safety the hole treck home will have to wait another week.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    What has impressed me this year is seeing the guys riding when the wind chills have brought the temps close to -40 and what was scariest is seeing a guy on a bike get rear ended by a car in an intersection.

Thankfully the guy was ok and in defense of the cager who hit him...the rider had no reflectors, no lighhts, and was dressed like a ninja on a black bike.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I ride everyday. Rain shine snow ice whatever. I have a short commute though and stay off the nastiest roads whenever possible in the bad weather but it doesn't usually stop me. Usually ride the singlespeed or the Pugs if it's bad enough. The road bikes and Fuel are for "nicer" weather.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Yappy little dog!

Well...

I have been off the bike commute since the first snowfall. My commuter rig is a cx and I never changed the tires from the warm riding. I am only 2.5 miles but those miles require taking side streets through Cherry Creek (which have NEVER been plowed since day 1), crossing Leetsdale, and crossing Alameda all to stay off Colorado Blvd.

Jul 2004
    i dont have any fancy gear, just a singlespeed and layers of jackets. Rumors are goin around that riding in this weather puts hair on your chest, but I can't speak for it

...drat...
    That's a fine quiver of snow shovels you've got there, Klaus. All you're missing is the ice chopper.

mtbr member
    Cold never bothers me, but the ice has been enough to scare me off. I ate it hard on the Cherry Creek trail recently and considered it a lesson learned. Until it softens up, I'm in the car.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    I have only missed 3 days since August, ussually to go to the airport after work or something funky like that. I have the benifit of lots of ski clothing, a 3 mile commute; plowed Boulder MUT trails, and no cars (only 2 road crossings).

I hate frozen snow melt. I took a couple of nasty black ice spills and then started wearing my armor on those type of days.

Kona Unit (SS) with fenders, 2.35 Kujo DH tires, and slime tubes. I needed to make it a workout by spinning bricks.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm commuting 2-4 days a week, depending on work and parenting duties. This is the first full winter of dedicated commuting since my wife started working part time. I've never had as much fun as commuting home on a snowy night. The cross bike is set up with fenders to make the ride a little less wet, otherwise no modifications.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0