Light freak

Who did 24hrs of Old Pueblo this year?

Let's hear some reports. Heard the weather cooperated this year.

Heard from a few Springs riders. Congratulations to Nick and Tracy Thelen on their second place finish in the Duo Coed behind the team of Natt Ross and Rebecca Rusch by about 25 minutes.

Congrats to Springs rider Kristi Ohlson and the 4 Person Womens Open Team of Single Speed Sweetness on their second place finish to Stans NoTubes Elite Womens Team

Anybody know of anybody else that raced, got any race reports or pics?

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I raced this year as a duo. It was my 10th time racing (used to live in Tucson, moved to the front range in July). It was probably the best weather we've ever had. Warm and sunny with no rain, and only a little wind at the very end.

Ridiculous level of competition. I've seen the level of competition at this race grow from the best in Tucson to the best in AZ to the best in the Southwest to the best in the country, and now to the best in North America and beyond. Lap counts that would have put you in the top-10 5 years ago put you half-way back through the pack today. Used to be the top 25% of the field was racing, and everyone else was just out there having fun. Now it's more like a 60/30 split with the casual riders getting pushed out.

All around it was an awesome ride, and I'll be back next year as usual. I've ridden the course so many times though. I wish Todd would switch the course up clockwise and counter-clockwise every other year, and add some rocks for those of us who excel at technical riding.

Team Velveeta™

I love that country.

Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    ...Ridiculous level of competition. I've seen the level of competition at this race grow from the best in Tucson to the best in AZ to the best in the Southwest to the best in the country, and now to the best in North America and beyond. Lap counts that would have put you in the top-10 5 years ago put you half-way back through the pack today. Used to be the top 25% of the field was racing, and everyone else was just out there having fun. Now it's more like a 60/30 split with the casual riders getting pushed out...
    I dig that world out there on Willow Springs Road. I lived out there in a camper for a month and a half right after my divorce. That was '07. Moved out to the venue in early January and stayed through the event. Great memories. Lots of long gravel grinding epics out north in addition to hot laps on the course. Coyotes and cows and cornering.

OP was my first solo 24. Went back in '08 to be coed duo but my partner bailed last minute. So I just rode it solo. I wound up taking third all by myself and then disqualified myself since your partner needs to ride at least one lap. That's how slack the competition was back then. I suck. Even with a fast partner I can't imagine being in the top ten coed duo (or any other cat) nowadays.

A little more technical would be good, but oh my god I love to slalom that fast smooth singletrack at the edge of available cornering friction. At night especially.
    Last edited by TomP; 02-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    A little more technical would be good, but oh my god I love to slalom that fast smooth singletrack at the edge of available cornering friction. At night especially.
    There used to be a lot more slalom when there was more cactus, but a lot of it has been hit so many times over the years that it hasn't come back, and many of the former slalom lines are now almost straight shots. nostalgia...

I was about to call you out, because in 2008 a 3rd place in duo would have you doing more laps than the winning solo rider, but then I realized you wrote 'coed-duo'. The most amazing thing this year was the number of fast women; there are some crazy fast girls out there.

Team Velveeta™

I love the ladies.

...I was about to call you out, because in 2008 a 3rd place in duo would have you doing more laps than the winning solo rider, but then I realized you wrote 'coed-duo'. The most amazing thing this year was the number of fast women; there are some crazy fast girls out there.
    I think the coed duo field was pretty thin that year, even compared to the rest of the field at that time 4 years ago. I really do suck. I can carry my pace for a really long time (when I'm fit, not now), but I'm much more freightliner than camaro.

I was always really impressed, at the OP and elsewhere in southern AZ, how many of the ladies were out there riding. I wish it wasn't such a sausage contest in CO (by comparison). I was VERY close to moving down there a couple different times, and much of it was because of the perception I had that there are more females out on the trail.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I was always really impressed, at the OP and elsewhere in southern AZ, how many of the ladies were out there riding.
    That's weird, because I know my gf is a lot less intimidated by the smooth and flowy front range style trails. I took her for a ride on the 24HOP course a couple of times, but it's by far the least technical singletrack in Tucson. She would never have ridden TMP, Mt. Lemmon, 50-year, or the AZ trail with me, because she isn't so good with the rocks.

Team Velveeta™
    That's weird, because I know my gf is a lot less intimidated by the smooth and flowy front range style trails. I took her for a ride on the 24HOP course a couple of times, but it's by far the least technical singletrack in Tucson. She would never have ridden TMP, Mt. Lemmon, 50-year, or the AZ trail with me, because she isn't so good with the rocks.
    Well, Fantasy Island is pretty tame...

I had good luck with my GF at the AZ Trail between Colossal Cave and Rincon Wash, that's mostly mild though. And yeah, she liked the Old Pueblo course.

You're right, lots of the Tucson area stuff is kind of burly. I guess it's been 12-15 years since I've done any real riding on the FR. And up here the ladies are liking our local Salida Mountain Trails systems. Used to be there wasn't much riding here that wasn't burly.

Guess I've got a GF now so my eyes aren't (quite) as peeled as they were back in that '07 -'08 timeframe. I just remember lots of nice girls out on the OP course during the race, several solos.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Went up. Good times. Was surprised at how big the event was.Rolled with the amoebas scar and worked great. Fast fun course different from Colorado riding. I just got a salsa dos niner w/ 3x9, was in the big ring entire race. Not use to that as been riding 1x9 or singlespeed past few years.
    If I can ring up people would go again. Complaints yeah the rock slab was the only thing remotely technical and finding a spot was a fustercluck Friday morn w RV.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

mtbr member
    Was there, first time there racing. Was awesome. Took 2nd in 5 person mixed

Write-up here: 24 hours of Old Pueblo | JasonHilimire.com

Our 4 person team laid the smack down and lapped the Kona Factory boys with some impressive lap times: Epic Pro Blog How fast was Alders down the rock section? This fast

banned
    There used to be a lot more slalom when there was more cactus, but a lot of it has been hit so many times over the years that it hasn't come back, and many of the former slalom lines are now almost straight shots.
    barneys suck and ruin trails

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Our 4 person team laid the smack down and lapped the Kona Factory boys with some impressive lap times: Epic Pro Blog How fast was Alders down the rock section? This fast
    That is insanely fast!!

It was my second year racing. Course was so much faster than last year. Did they increase the number of competitors though? It seemed like so many more people out on course... maybe a few too many!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitz_chris View Post
    That is insanely fast!!
    If Alders would just start riding a 29er, instead of his silly 17lb 26er he would be way faster. but he never listens to me about that stuff. Even though I tell him almost every day

Nice riding by the Epic guys, that was some seriously fast consistency. Funny that the Kona crew brought in all the cameras and all their fast full time racer guys but were still beat by a bunch of local Boulder guys all with full time jobs.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

Members who have read this thread: 0