Poll: Do you have fear/anxiety when riding a chairlift?

mtbr member

Who is afraid of riding chairlifts? Poll

I am, and it sucks. I googled it and it it seems I am not alone. So I want to do a poll and see about what percentage of people have this problem.
    For me, it is wierd because my main problem is with chairs that don't have a safety bar or foot rest. I know that logically the safety bar really doesn't do anything, but it completely calms me down. Foot rests are even better.

If I am on a chair with nothing in front of me, I imagine my butt slipping forward and launching me right off the chair. I sometimes have to fight having a complete panic attack, while other times it is more mild nervousness.

It sucks because it effects what I do. For example, the Pallavechini lift at A basin is one of those old school two person lifts with no bar. It goes to some great black and double black terrain. I am not scared of any of the terrain, but I'm scared of riding the chair up there! I haven't done it yet but hope to get my courage up this week.

Last year I rode the Alpine lift at Copper a few times, but tried to avoid it mostly. At Copper, there are enough other options. At A Basin and some of the other places, avoiding the no bar lifts means you are missing out on a lot of good skiing.

Your thoughts, and any suggestions of how to overcome this problem would be great!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bummer. Do you have any other fear of heights? I'm certainly no head shrinker but I do know that there are various therapies to deal with phobias.

On a positive note you have a good excuse to do lots of backcountry and/or Nordic skiing which IMO is a far better experience than lift riding.

endo
    Nov 2011
    I guess my thought is, when have you ever fallen or slipped off a chair just sitting down? When I'm snowboarding I have a heavy piece of composite covered in snow strapped to my feet and I'm still not going anywhere.
    I like the time to relax, enjoy the view and chat with whoever is accompanying me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know exactly what you mean. For me its vertigo (luckily very mild). I can over come it, but it takes a lot of concentration.

I don't alpine ski, but I have ridden a lift a few times. Some other situations, like standing on a log bridge with water rushing below, will trigger it for me. I just have to focus on something that isn't moving and I am good.

mtbr member
    The Only time i get a panic attack is when it stops and you can hear then banging on something down at the Lift house Like last 4 of july at WP We sat there for 25 Mins and i was about 20 chairs Up !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

A little...

I've found it helps calm me down if I drop an arm behind the chair. Doesn't make me any more actually secure (much like the bar), but makes me feel calmer.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    no bar? really? it is amazing to me that there is a single ski lift in america without a bar. that would freak me out too. an arm over that back of the chair would probably make me feel okay enough to make it. those chairs are bouncy and they start and stop and stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disdom View Post
    I guess my thought is, when have you ever fallen or slipped off a chair just sitting down? When I'm snowboarding I have a heavy piece of composite covered in snow strapped to my feet and I'm still not going anywhere.
    I like the time to relax, enjoy the view and chat with whoever is accompanying me.
    The problem here, is that you are using logic! The fear is a phobia, meaning it is irrational. Once I had this lady practically yelling at me as I rode up the chari with her. "It doesn't make sense! Can you not trust yourself to throw yourself off?!!!" she said. Ha ha.

I know damn well I have a better chance of falling off my barstool (which never happens) than a chairlift. Logic doesn't help.

slow
    You think the Pali lift at A-basin is freaky going up, you should try going down. When I worked at the Basin, we would sometimes need to download. Pali has some sections where the light side skips towers, making it really high, and you are facing away from the mountain, so it seems even higher.

The lifts are really pretty safe, and have become even more so since the Teller lift incident in 1985. The tramway safety board keeps an eye on things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Bummer. Do you have any other fear of heights? I'm certainly no head shrinker but I do know that there are various therapies to deal with phobias.

On a positive note you have a good excuse to do lots of and/or Nordic skiing which IMO is a far better experience than lift riding.
    Yeah I guess you would say that in general, the problem is acrophobia. I would love to get into more backcountry type stuff, but don't really know people who do that, and hate walking in ski boots!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    no bar? really? it is amazing to me that there is a single ski lift in america without a bar. that would freak me out too. an arm over that back of the chair would probably make me feel okay enough to make it. those chairs are bouncy and they start and stop and stuff...
    Just about every ski area I can think of has old chairs without bars. Even Aspen. The new construction always has bars and/or foot rests, but all the areas have their old chairs which are still the two seater no bar type. Unfortunately, these are the chairs that usually haven't been upgraded because they are on less traveled parts of the mountain where the runs are harder and they haven't had to upgade to high speed quads etc to handle more traffic. So often, it is the crappy chairlift that takes you to the coolest spots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcookson View Post
    I've found it helps calm me down if I drop an arm behind the chair. Doesn't make me any more actually secure (much like the bar), but makes me feel calmer.
    Yeah that's what I do. Sit on the right, left arm over the back, right hand in a death grip on right rail or pole (if poles are on the side), and hyperventilating until the ride is over.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    What's the worst that could happen?

Oh shoot, now I'm scared too.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Not afraid of riding the lifts, but sometimes afraid of the people riding them.

Last week at Breck, a snowboarder "single" nearly took out three of us when getting off the lift. He had mentioned on the way up that he'd had several beers the night before, but was "doing better" after a few runs. Not much better... LOL
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    You think the Pali lift at A-basin is freaky going up, you should try going down. When I worked at the Basin, we would sometimes need to download. Pali has some sections where the light side skips towers, making it really high, and you are facing away from the mountain, so it seems even higher.

The lifts are really pretty safe, and have become even more so since the Teller lift incident in 1985. The tramway safety board keeps an eye on things.
    I could not do it! I have never ridden a chair down. I used to ride the Telluride Gondi up to Allreds to eat dinner and riding that down was freaky! But I can handle a Gondola. No way on a chair!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    The Only time i get a panic attack is when it stops and you can hear then banging on something down at the Lift house Like last 4 of july at WP We sat there for 25 Mins and i was about 20 chairs Up !!

Being stopped is scarier than moving for some reason. If the chair stops on me, after about 30 seconds I start thinking about how I'm going to sue the ski area and all the incompetent mother F#$% a$$ h!@#$% that can't keep the chair moving and are ruining my life!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    What's the worst that could happen?

...Oh shoot, now I'm scared too.
    Dude, those pictures are hilarious! (yet horrifying). That's pretty much what I picture happening whenever I get on a chair.
    Where can I read more about that incident??
    What is keeping that guy from falling?

slow
    For those with chairlift phobias, don't see this movie or read this article.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    So often, it is the crappy chairlift that takes you to the coolest spots.
    Kind of like life.

friend of Apex
    Just dont look out the window

Anybody ridden the gondi from Whizler to Blackcomb?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disdom View Post
    have you ever fallen or slipped off a chair just sitting down?
    Does passing out count?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Nope. But I rode this one. It's exciting:

gotta get up to get down
    awesome thread is awesome

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The problem here, is that you are using logic! The fear is a phobia, meaning it is irrational. Once I had this lady practically yelling at me as I rode up the chari with her. "It doesn't make sense! Can you not trust yourself to throw yourself off?!!!" she said. Ha ha.

I know damn well I have a better chance of falling off my barstool (which never happens) than a chairlift. Logic doesn't help.
    Given that, probably none of us will say anything to reason you out of this. Maybe it's worth talking to a professional.

Chairs like that bothered me when I was younger. What I did was improvise my own safety bar. The chairs with no bar tended to be ones with a single center pole, so after I sat down, I'd take my poles and slide them handle first under the armrest bar, over my lap, and behind the center pole of the chair. Over the years, I saw a lot of other folks do the same.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    Given that, probably none of us will say anything to reason you out of this. Maybe it's worth talking to a professional.
    No... I think Nancy just needs to HTFU!

Inflexable...
    Maybe you should try skydiving!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not really what I expected to see when I clicked on "whose afraid of riding charlifts?"

I'm afraid of riding on chairlifts, guess thats why I dont' have a ski pass. I'm one of you.

Then again I'm afraid of being stuck on the lift for 3-8 mins with some moron who likes to tell me:

How great their gear is

How awesome they are skiing or riding

Why I don't have nice gear

Where they partied last night

That the conditions are so epic

That they are a local

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    I'm afraid of riding on chairlifts, guess thats why I dont' have a ski pass. I'm one of you.

Then again I'm afraid of being stuck on the lift for 3-8 mins with some moron who likes to tell me:
    Well, at least yours are RATIONAL fears.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Nope. But I rode this one. It's exciting:

If only you skied well enough to take advantage of where that tram drops you

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sadly I had not skis in my possession...

And I do not ski like Glen.

Blizzard of Aaahhs Chamonix Segment 2 - YouTube

Goddam I'd forgotten how QUALITY the soundtrack was in this film...

banned
    Oct 2004

HAHA!
    Blizzard of Aahs... my goto movie for getting rev'd for ski season, until Seven Sunny Days

Edit: but this season, it's more like 70 sunny days! I still don't have day 1 on my seasons yet!?

Inflexable...

Riding a chair lift is nothing compared to that. I have the VHS but no player...

I hate that crusty crap! But the couloir looks very fun!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Since I've been riding lifts since I was a kid, it's sort of second nature.

BUT, I am sometimes amazed that accidents don't happen more often. And sometimes, when you're really high, and the wind is blowing, and the lift stops, I find myself scooting my ass back a bit and discretely holding on.

Now I'm re-doing that learning curve with my kids, it's a whole new kind of lift-anxiety.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    <snip>

Now I'm re-doing that learning curve with my kids, it's a whole new kind of lift-anxiety.
    Dude - you gotta relax... they're really flexible and hardly ever get hurt very badly falling from the lift.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have the exact kind of phobia smilinsteve has. I didn't have it as a kid but have always been acrophobic, then several years ago I attempted to face my fears by learning how to climb. It didn't help and actually caused me to start being nervous on chairlift rides. Interestingly enough, riding the lift in the winter bothers me A LOT less than riding in the summer.

Not sure what the deal is with Winter Park's main lift Zephyr... does anyone else think the seats are very shallow? I much prefer lifts with safety bars and footrests....

I also agree that this has NOTHING to do with logic, which makes it more difficult to figure out...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sounds like Nancy isn't the only one that needs to HTFU.

mtbr member
    Well, it looks like about 3 out of ten so far at least have a little bit of anxiety. But less than 10% actually have it bad enough to effect their skiing decsions. I guess that's pretty close to what I expected.
    If all lifts had bars and footrests, it wouldn't be a problem for me. The Zephyr lift at WP has a bar but no footrest IIRC? It doesn't bother me.
    I've tried the ski poles on the lap trick, but it doesn't seem to help much.
    I have had times where I have to force myself to take deep breaths and try some kind of meditation to keep myself from completely losing my ****. It really sucks.
    And I have tried having a beer or two to calm my nerves. For some reason, this sometimes has the opposite effect and gives me more anxiety.

So, you can call me a Nancy on the way up, but I don't think I'd get that name from anyone on the way down!

mtbr member
    I don't like it, but I do it. I've been trying to teach my kids that the suffering is worth the skiing/snowboarding. My 6 yo daughter is OK, but I fear my 4 yo son will have more trouble than I do. He doesn't like driving on some of the steep mountain roads around here, ya know, when one side drops away like a cliff.

I have vertigo, it doesn't help. The vertigo comes and goes, it happens to be bugging me a lot right now. Like getting up from sleep my head is swimming. Last week I went skiing with my daughter, but I was worried how much the vertigo was going to affect me on the lifts. Fortunately it didn't.

mtbr member
    I got negative rep from some slithering little worm for posting a non-mountain biking related thread!!!

FYI wormboy, using lifts at resorts for mountain biking is big these days. You should google it! So, it is related!

mtbr member
    Here's the story about the guy hanging upside down with his pants down:

Skier Suffers Exposure | The Smoking Gun

It appears that the chairlift's fold-down seat was somehow not in the lowered position, which caused the man to partially fall through the resulting gap. His right ski got jammed in the ascending chairlift, and that kept him upended since his boot never dislodged from its binding.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I also agree that this has NOTHING to do with logic, which makes it more difficult to figure out...
    It's a phobia, a deeply psychological condition. I'd guess most people have one phobia or another to some degree. My heart rate always goes up when I board a plane even though I know it's statistically very safe. Call it nature, or nurture, a long ago mental trauma, hell, call it Karma. I don't think logic has anything to do with it.

mtbr member
    Boy some of you would not like riding up a chair lift with a back pack on like me. One of the most serene experiences I had in Vail was riding the Highline lift by myself. This was back when Highline was a double. No one else was riding that area after a severe storm rolled in. It was almost dark and it was just me, the falling snow, and the forest. It was silent accept the subtle sounds of the chair lift. It was a very cool.

I have some fear of heights. I've found that when I am anxious I am not present in the moment. Instead, I am thinking about things that could happen but are not actually happening such as falling or throwing myself off a ledge. The more engrossed I am by these thoughts and images, the more anxious I am. When I am truly present I am not having those negative day dreams and I am at ease. To me this seems to apply to other types of fears and anxieties as well.

mtb
    I dislike the lifts. Try and dismount very quickly and never look behind me. I also am not a fan of the gondola...

Oh, So Interesting!
    For some reason gondolas don't bother me at all but some chairs can freak me out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't have a problem with the lifts. My only fear is getting buried in an avalanche. Claustrophobia here.

People that don't ski ask me, "Aren't you afraid you're going to fall out of the chair?" ...my response is always, "Do you ever fall out of your chair when you're watching TV?"

I have downloaded on Pali at A-Basin a few times (used to work there as well). I do have to admit that I held onto the chair at the high points. Riding downhill is the major factor there. Don't think having a safety bar would help me there.

mtbr member
    When I was 5 and learning how to ski, I was in ski school and fell 13 feet off the Molly Hogan lift at the basin. I don't remember all that happened, as I was knocked unconcious from the fall, which was broke by 3 ski instructors who rushed to catch me when they saw me dangling from the lift. What I do remember specifically was when I got on the lift my ass didn't get all the way back, and I began slipping off the front of the seat. I grabbed on to the arm rest as my butt completely slipped off the seat and hung on in hopes that I could make it to the top. No luck. The three ski instructors couldn't catch me but slowed down the fall and I hit the ground. Fortunately waking up in the Abasin med clinic with just a fat bloody lip.

That said, I have absolutely zero fear of lifts to this day, and ride them multiple times a week throughout the winter without any worries or paranoia. Also, I hate the "safety bar" and it irritates me when random people on the lift feel the need to lower it without asking if others on the chair want it dropped .

mtbr member
    Just think of it as keeping your heart rate up so you're ready to get rad on the way down!

I think everyone has some level of fear when suspended from a, relatively, thin piece of steel. However, once you ride the terrain the Pavi lift gets to you'll kick yourself for not going there first.

mtbr member
    I feel for you man. Like many peeps, I've been a lift op in my prior life and I've seen some interesting things to say the least (could be a separate thread). I am afraid of heights, but not really too crazy scared of riding lifts. The only exception is high lifts over extended terrain. My couple examples are the resolution lift at copper (always gets me) and paradise lift at crested butte once it's near the north face lift (high as hell), so I can feel your pain.

Free your heel...
    Chairlifts used to also give me trouble so I started indoor rock climbing to face my fears which worked like a charm for me. On top of no longer being afraid of heights I increased my balance and strength from climbing and this crossed over to skiing and riding.

Your other option, you can always ski backcountry all season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I feel for you man. Like many peeps, I've been a lift op in my prior life and I've seen some interesting things to say the least (could be a separate thread). I am afraid of heights, but not really too crazy scared of riding lifts. The only exception is high lifts over extended terrain. My couple examples are the resolution lift at copper (always gets me) and paradise lift at crested butte once it's near the north face lift (high as hell), so I can feel your pain.
    Yes resolution lift sucks. But, I have ridden it a few times in the past. It seems this year I'm thinking more about my problem, and haven't had the guts to ride anything without a bar yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    Chairlifts used to also give me trouble so I started indoor rock climbing to face my fears which worked like a charm for me. On top of no longer being afraid of heights I increased my balance and strength from climbing and this crossed over to skiing and riding.

Your other option, you can always ski all season.
    Funny thing is that indoor climbing walls don't bother me. I feel secure with the rope/harness, plus you don't really look down much when climbing.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Funny thing is that indoor climbing walls don't bother me. I feel secure with the rope/harness, plus you don't really look down much when climbing.
    Me too, climbing isn't an issue, indoors or out. Of course I'll probably never do a multi pitch climb.

Was thinking about getting a short climbing sling and a carabiner, looping the sling around a belt made of webbing and then attaching the beaner to the lift. Might help...

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yep.

It sounds like the OP should be less scared of the fully closed gondola cars, since it seems like his fear is falling off the chair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Yep.

It sounds like the OP should be less scared of the fully closed gondola cars, since it seems like his fear is falling off the chair.
    Never had a problem with gondis, even going down. When I say no problem, I mean I do them and don't hesitate. I still think about the height, but its more like riding in a plane. The one up the mountain at palm springs gets pretty high, and you ride it down too. I've done the gondis at Aspen Mountain, Snowbird, Telluride, Keystone, Breck, etc. I'll take a gondola over a chairlift any time, no matter how high it goes.

mtbr member

Was thinking about getting a short climbing sling and a carabiner, looping the sling around a belt made of webbing and then attaching the beaner to the lift. Might help...
    I've thought of that too, and all other types of contraptions. I wish I could come up with a good one.

Today, riding the lift at A-Basin, I tried to start the ride without dropping the bar, but I wouldn't last a few seconds. I think the problem is looking forward and seeing nothing but open air. It freaks me out. I put the bar down and it is something solid in my field of view in front of me. It seems like such a trivial difference, bar or no bar, but psychologically its night and day.

I thought maybe I would get the guts up to Ride the Palli lift, but I didn't. Yes, you can call me Nancy. In fact I made my plan for next time to hike up the Cornice ridge to get to that terrain because I'm losing faith in myself to get the guts up to ride the chair.

That's pretty pathetic. I hate hiking in ski boots. Last year I rode (but did not like) several bar-less chairs, just to get to the terrain I wanted. I must be getting worse.

bike rider
    Despite living at the base of Peak 9 my GF is afraid of heights and chairlifts. I showed her this thread and told it was started by a guy. She said, "P*ssy."
    She's getting promoted in a few months
    Keep the Country country.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've thought of that too, and all other types of contraptions. I wish I could come up with a good one.

Today, riding the lift at A-Basin, I tried to start the ride without dropping the bar, but I wouldn't last a few seconds. I think the problem is looking forward and seeing nothing but open air. It freaks me out. I put the bar down and it is something solid in my field of view in front of me. It seems like such a trivial difference, bar or no bar, but psychologically its night and day.

I thought maybe I would get the guts up to Ride the Palli lift, but I didn't. Yes, you can call me Nancy. In fact I made my plan for next time to hike up the Cornice ridge to get to that terrain because I'm losing faith in myself to get the guts up to ride the chair.

That's pretty pathetic. I hate hiking in ski boots. Last year I rode (but did not like) several bar-less chairs, just to get to the terrain I wanted. I must be getting worse.
    It's not that you're a "Nancy", you have a phycological condition. Phobias are real and for most people, from what I understand, treatable f. You just need to figure out a way to get through it and lay it to rest. Don't beat up on yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    WHy not bring some kind of strap that can connect you to the lift to give you more confidence?

It is pretty funny though. I always hate it when people put the bar down personally. I pretty much only ride the Pali lift once it opens, so when I do go over to Lenawee or to another ski area, I'm always surprised when someone puts the bar down, especially when they don't warn me before hand. Sucks when that little handle hits you in the back of the head or almost crushes your balls.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So let me get this straight... people are recommending getting a strap-on for this fear of chair lifts?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ive fallen off of a few but that doesn't change anything.....i feel like they are a big part of life living in colorado.....like having to drive on I70 or getting stuck in post Broncos traffic

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So let me get this straight... people are recommending getting a strap-on for this fear of chair lifts?
    Just for you. To help with your overwhelming and irrational fear of reading comprehension.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I have the same issue on ski lifts. The first few years I skied, the lifts didn't bother me at all, which I thought was odd, but I didn't question it. Then I got spooked at Copper. I don't remember exactly, but it was probably on Resolution, the lift stopped and my chair was at the absolute worst spot over the bowl... full-on panic attack. I've continued to ski since then (some years more than others), sometimes it is better and sometimes not. While I have been and continue to be perfectly capable of willing myself onto a ski lift, it's just at the point now where it isn't worth putting myself through the inevitable mental anguish, especially when (at best) it doesn't get better or (at worst) it gets worse (I've already tried the ski-more tactic).

As long as the lift is moving, I'm usually ok, but big gaps and drops are bad no matter what. The bars and foot rests help to some degree, but mostly just as something to focus on. I usually throw one arm over the back of the chair anyway. And it has been said before, but there is absolutely nothing rational about any of it. I can sit on the lift, be in a the middle of trying to mitigate a full-on panic attack, while the rational part of my brain is able to cooly explain to the person sitting next to me how I know nothing I'm feeling is "rational" and how I know I have nothing to "fear" with regards to the integrity of the lift, cable, chair, etc.

Not all heights bother me, big exposures when hiking or biking typically don't bother me at all. I've tried to just keep riding lifts, but that doesn't help. I've always tried to challenge myself with heights to some extent so it doesn't get worse. I also tried hypnotherapy, but that seems to center around trying to find some root cause that occurred during childhood and neither myself, nor anyone in my family knows of any sort of childhood trauma even remotely height related.

I know that if you don't have a phobia (known or otherwise) then it is pretty much impossible to understand, but this one is pretty tough since you have to face it on some level every single time you want to get back up to do another run. I don't know how many claustrophobic spelunkers or arachnophobic spider collectors there are out there, but I expect that they are few and far between.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    Your other option, you can always ski backcountry all season.
    yeahright, most of these people couldn't ride their way out of a giant paper bag

what makes you think they might have the intestinal fortitude for that?

davecretin113 needs to go ride the portal

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Oh, lord, his mom let him out of the basement again.

Oh, So Interesting!
    You sound excited...

Oh, So Interesting!
    Sounds exactly like what happened to me... same issues with terrain and when the lift stops too. I went years... a couple decades actually, without lifts bothering me. I have had no traumatic incidents regarding heights either. I actually got somewhat comfortable with climbing, but without the harness and rope it's a whole 'nother story. That's also why I'm thinking a 'biner attached to the lift from a belt made of climbing webbing might help, maybe it's worth trying...

I also hate getting too close to cliff edges when hiking and biking.

mtbr member
    Please video tape all off-loadings when strapping yourself to the chair lift. The world would love to see the fail when you forget you're still attached.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I really have no problem with the lifts even without the safety bars, but in pondering what might make you feel better 2 things come to mind. Read about ski lift safety. The National Ski Areas Association show 12 chairlift fatalities in North America since 1973. That makes riding a lift a lot safer than skiing itself where there are ~40 deaths per year. Got these 2 tidbits doing some Google searching. Check out NSAA.org.

Also, this may be silly, but if you stuck a bungie chord or something similar in one of your pockets, you could just hook it to the lift and around your belly. Might help provide some psychological comfort. As I'm writing this I actually wonder if forgetting to take it off might introduce a new safety issue - so strap in at your own risk.

Rigid in Evergreen
    As with ski lifts, I know that I'm perfectly safe when I walk up to a window in a tall building or a railing on an exposed set of stairs, but it doesn't matter. Phobias by definition are irrational.

Here is a good example, I can't watch this video without having the same response, the only difference being that I can choose to stop watching when it becomes too uncomfortable..

Tower climbers working

Am I in any sort of danger while watching this video?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    As with ski lifts, I know that I'm perfectly safe when I walk up to a window in a tall building or a railing on an exposed set of stairs, but it doesn't matter. Phobias by definition are irrational.

Here is a good example, I can't watch this video without having the same response, the only difference being that I can choose to stop watching when it becomes too uncomfortable..

Tower climbers working

Am I in any sort of danger while watching this video?
    To me it seems that a person who would not fear being on a tower like that is more irrational than a person who would fear it!

To some extent, fear of heights is a normal and natural survival response. When you have that response in a situation that is safe, then it is a phobia. I'm like you; I get the anxiety response from watching the video!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    WHy not bring some kind of strap that can connect you to the lift to give you more confidence?

It is pretty funny though. I always hate it when people put the bar down personally. I pretty much only ride the Pali lift once it opens, so when I do go over to Lenawee or to another ski area, I'm always surprised when someone puts the bar down, especially when they don't warn me before hand. Sucks when that little handle hits you in the back of the head or almost crushes your balls.
    Usually people are cool about putting the bar down, if not for fear of heights, then just to have the foot rest to give their knees a break. I always ask before I pull it down. I was on a chair once when I was single with 5 people together (I think it was the Superguage at WP?). I asked to put the bar down and they said no we don't need it. So I just sucked it up. I was tempted to ***** about it, but wasn't too freaked at that time.

But I would hope that people would realize that sometimes people have a real fear and that they would extend the courtesy to put the bar down for others if they want it!

mtbr member
    I might try the belt and caribiner thing. But Rogbie has a good point: forgetting to unhook would suck!

Like I said before though, I think it is the visual of having all that open space in front of me with no bar in my field of vision that freaks me out.
    But, it also comes to my mind that the chair always feels like it's tilted a little forward, and then I start thinking bout how slippery my nylon ski pants are, especially on that wet vinyl, forward tilted seat...!!!!!

The caribiner might help with that.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip> I asked to put the bar down and they said no we don't need it.
    Mistake. Simply grab the bar, let everybody know that it's coming down and then bring it down slowly. Don't ask.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Mistake. Simply grab the bar, let everybody know that it's coming down and then bring it down slowly. Don't ask.
    "Coming down. Safety first, and all."

Rigid in Evergreen
    I might try the belt and caribiner thing. But Rogbie has a good point: forgetting to unhook would suck!

Like I said before though, I think it is the visual of having all that open space in front of me with no bar in my field of vision that freaks me out.
    But, it also comes to my mind that the chair always feels like it's tilted a little forward, and then I start thinking bout how slippery my nylon ski pants are, especially on that wet vinyl, forward tilted seat...!!!!!

The caribiner might help with that.

The angle on the bench is definitely better on some lifts than others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is only one lift I recall being scared of. I was in 8th grade (12 years old I think), and we were at either Park City or the Canyons in Utah. I forget which one, but I recall the lift up to the bowls being extremely high, no bar, and only one main beam from the cable that goes right in between the two of the riders. It's not a traditional looking lift chair. The sides were extremely short, and so was the back. So yeah...my brother and I were seriously hugging that beam. I'm now 28, and I'm still semi freaked to come across that lift again. I hope it's gotten less freaky with age.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I guess thinking back the only lift that really scared me was the Sundance Chairlift at Geneva Basin- as a kid the high point on the lift seemed like a really long ways down!!

What scared me more were always the trips up to GB- as my dad was on the ski patrol and prided himself as first in the lot and last to leave! i spent alot of time playing rolling stones on the jukebox and alot of time playing fooseball!!

there is our bronco in the first spot! right next to Harms' yellow bug!
    gb_large_0026.jpg
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Oh, So Interesting!
    Me too, climbing isn't an issue, indoors or out. Of course I'll probably never do a multi pitch climb.

Posted to my rep by "TJ":

"Can't wait to see this epic fail! -TJ"

Who the f**k are you TJ? Too scared to post your opinion in this thread?

banned
    lulz @ davecretin113's intense paranoia and drama

one good thing i got out of this thread is the knowledge that i'll never have to see him sitting on the side of the trail crying in fear because he avoids trails with exposure

my list for this summer will all be trails with big exposure

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post

one good thing i got out of this thread is the knowledge that i'll never have to see him sitting on the side of the trail crying in fear because he avoids trails with exposure

Haha, man... you must think about me a lot. Obviously, I affect you deeply for you to schedule your life around my preferences. But I'm sorry GaySexChicken... I'm straight.

And as far as you laughing about my fear of heights... f**k you. I hope you fall off a cliff this summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am not particularly afraid of chairlifts, though do have a healthy fear/respect of heights. However, at A-Basin a few years ago, I gained a new respect for one particular chairlift. I don't recall the name of it but I was sitting on the far right side and within a second or so after I got off the chairlift, it swung around extremely fast and the bar on the right side of it smacked me in the ribs and knocked me down. (BTW, I was going off the chair the same speed as everyone else). It broke/cracked a rib (never got it examined but it hurt like hell over the next 2-3 weeks, particularly when lauging, sneezing or coughing). As I sat for few minutes off to the side to get my breath, I saw several other people get knocked down in the same manner.

mtbr member
    Haha, man... you must think about me a lot. Obviously, I affect you deeply for you to schedule your life around my preferences. But I'm sorry GaySexChicken... I'm straight.

And as far as you laughing about my fear of heights... f**k you. I hope you fall off a cliff this summer.
    Ditto.
    KC used to be the funny guy. Now it seems he's traded funny for just being a prick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rollback of a chairlift - YouTube

But they kinda did it on purpose......

What?

Boy hanging from ski lift - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Unfortunately blocking someone doesn't' block their message when it's quoted. Thanks for making me read his ridiculous banter some more, Dave!

banned

lulz @ all of the issues displayed^ is your real last name santorum?

going through a "life" (and i use that term loosely) like that must really be teh suck

pitiable, at best

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post

Could you please list the names of the trails and the dates you will be there? We all wish to bask in the glory of your riding prowess. BTW, how's your prep for the Olympics going?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

Oh shoot, now I'm scared too.

...........so anyway, there I was. Drunk as usual, naked of course..........

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by GaySexChicken View Post
    lulz @ all of the issues displayed^ is your real last name santorum?

going through a "life" (and i use that term loosely) like that must really be teh suck

pitiable, at best

Funny you mention santorum, you must really like it. I'm sure you bathe in santorum

banned
    lulz @ davecretin113

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Just dont look out the window

I have seen that thing a few times and there is no way you would get me on that..... and I am not really afraid of chairlifts, heights etc... that thing (while i am sure engineered right), just looks wrong with how much it sags in the middle..... scary!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Members who have read this thread: 0