Heads up Flyboy!!

whats your weekly hours?

Years ago I could get about 12 a week..I didn't start riding until after I was married. Now, I have children, work, hang out with my non riding wife...blah, blah, blah...like most of ya.

I quit riding in May through August for personal Reasons....and up till about two weeks ago I was riding about 8 to 10 hrs a week...

usually two morning rides during weekdays before work at 1-1.5 hrs

One Night right at 1.5-2.5 hrs

and a weekend ride of 3-4 hrs

Now my riding schedule has been reduced to about 3 hrs a week.

Whats your schedule?

mtbr member
    15 to 20 if the weather is good. the only good part about not having a job

go ride!!
    12-15hrs per week, plus full-time student and a 20-30hr work week.

mtbr member
    15-20, maybe 25 if I'm doing a big build up

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hours of riding *per week*??

I'm lucky to see 10 hours per MONTH.

Although November was pretty good to me.

mtbr member
    Before kids 10-20. Now 0-5.

skillz to pay billz
    15 or so

mtbr member
    During 4x season I train for about 15 minutes a week on the bike, smoke a ton of herb and drink atleast a case of PBR a week. In the off season I cut back on the bike ridding and double all other activities :O)

now in superlight!
    If I can count commuting to work (when the weather cooperates)- 3- 5. usually up to 12-13 in the summer
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

trail waggler

Lately...

- 2 or so...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyguy
    If I can count commuting to work (when the weather cooperates)- 3- 5. usually up to 12-13 in the summer
    Why wouldn't ya count commuting hours? Riding is riding...I work from home but the man still watches my time....Been asking for a hour lunch just so I could ride but the man still demands 30 minutes....I still love my job though.

Living the High Life
    50 hours a week...oh sh!t you meant riding. During the DH race season I may average 25-30. Now...2-3 bikes, 5-10 boards, and 3 hours in a gym.

Old, stale, negative
    Wife, kid, dogs, mortgage, the whole kit. Riding varies greatly. Trying hard to keep no less (with commutes to and from the daily grind) 50 a week. Summer can push 150 sometimes. I'm also trying to learn to tele so riding will seem fresh in the spring. Good thread.

Rolling
    wow I have that data right here! Mind you that is actual ride time, not driving to the trail or sitting on the side eating a sandwich.

Jackass
    Between working nights and a 9 month old, even when I count the 1 or 2 nights I commute, 5 hours maybe. It kills me to think about what I have invested $ wise sitting in the garage when I am riding so little.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    wow I have that data right here! Mind you that is actual ride time, not driving to the trail and sitting on the side eating a sandwich.

Nice to see someone post actual data...

You get to ride alot...

bobo

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Between working nights and a 9 month old, even when I count the 1 or 2 nights I commute, 5 hours maybe. It kills me to think about what I have invested $ wise sitting in the garage when I am riding so little.
    Dude, ease up on the worry about what's in the garage and just know it gets easier as they get older. Just keep the will to ride and time will start to present itself. The first 2 years are tough, then it's time to start going back to taking the time you need/want to ride(within reason). Being a good dad will reap bennies other than just having a good family. Keep up the good work , love to ride, raise a rider and we'll all be happy.

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Dude, ease up on the worry about what's in the garage and just know it gets easier as they get older. Just keep the will to ride and time will start to present itself. The first 2 years are tough, then it's time to start going back to taking the time you need/want to ride(within reason). Being a good dad will reap bennies other than just having a good family. Keep up the good work , love to ride, raise a rider and we'll all be happy.
    Hey, thanks man. That means allot.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Bad Andy
    bstrick hit it right on.
    As crazy as it seems, there are things much more important than riding, and the $ you have invested in it.
    Family is definitely one of them. You don't want to look back in a few years and think "man, I wish I would have spent more time with my family!"
    My kids are growing up so fast (11 and 14), and I think I have a pretty good balance. Definitely wish I could ride more to keep up with the likes of PBR me, Mtngoatepics, and many others on here that could crush me riding, but I will put my family up against any of 'em, and that includes the 14 year old daughter, who still loves me and wants to hang with me, and the wife who will go pick up the son on a moments notice, because I am supposed to be in Wheatridge to pick him up in 15 minutes, but instead, am on the top of Green Mtn doing a crazy night ride, just to fit in a little riding time.
    To keep OT:
    As sad as it may be, I probably only average 3 hours a week riding right now - max.
    And, thx for the ride tonight Kevin, 'twas a lot of fun...

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    I try to get 30 hours a week on skis if that counts.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    bstrick hit it right on.
    As crazy as it seems, there are things much more important than riding, and the $ you have invested in it.
    Family is definitely one of them. You don't want to look back in a few years and think "man, I wish I would have spent more time with my family!"
    My kids are growing up so fast (11 and 14), and I think I have a pretty good balance. ...
    Right on!
    My three (5,7,9) are taking to trail riding - we had a blast at COMBA's "take a kid mountainbiking day" this year at BC Lake Park. In fact, Santa's bringing my 5 year old his first mountainbike with gears this year (Specialized hardrock w/ 20" wheels).
    We ride a lot, and even if it's just spinning around the neighborhood, or making little jumps in the street in front of the house, we have a blast. Our trail riding is slow and short, but I know it's only a matter or time before they're beating me up the hill and calling me "old man".
    I love riding, but my family always comes first. I've found that helping my kids discover how fun riding is has given us a great opportunity to hang out and share common interests. Now if I could only convice my wife to try something harder than Waterton Canyon (We do the same with skiing - my 9 year old daughter already beats my wife to the bottom).
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    bstrick hit it right on.
    My kids are growing up so fast (11 and 14), and I think I have a pretty good balance. Definitely wish I could ride more to keep up with the likes of PBR me, Mtngoatepics, and many others on here that could crush me riding, but I will put my family up against any of 'em, and that includes the 14 year old daughter, who still loves me and wants to hang with me, and the wife who will go pick up the son on a moments notice, because I am supposed to be in Wheatridge to pick him up in 15 minutes, but instead, am on the top of Green Mtn doing a crazy night ride, just to fit in a little riding time.
    To keep OT:
    As sad as it may be, I probably only average 3 hours a week riding right now - max.
    And, thx for the ride tonight Kevin, 'twas a lot of fun...

Nothing like hangin with the family. Its why I find the odd hours to ride. My wife and I balance the free time...I ride one night a week and she gets out with the ladies one night a week..If I ride in the morning I'm usually out the door by 5-5:30am and back around 7am when my little girls get up. My weekend rides usually start around 6-6:30 am and most of the time I'm home by 10:30-11am...sometimes before noon..so I can hang with the family the rest of the day and weekend.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Nothing like hangin with the family. Its why I find the odd hours to ride. My wife and I balance the free time...I ride one night a week and she gets out with the ladies one night a week..If I ride in the morning I'm usually out the door by 5-5:30am and back around 7am when my little girls get up. My weekend rides usually start around 6-6:30 am and most of the time I'm home by 10:30-11am...sometimes before noon..so I can hang with the family the rest of the day and weekend.

You sound like you guys have it figured out well. I've got a 4 y.o., 20 month old, and another due in 25 days. I typically get out for one 3-4 hour ride on the weekend, then a ride or two in the morning before work 2x a week (harder in the winter) but recently I started night riding after the kids and wife go to bed which is really nice. The hardest part now is my son always wants to go riding. He's been riding since 3 and likes to do laps around the neighborhood....so him having no idea I even left withouth him works well.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hours of riding *per week*??

I'm lucky to see 10 hours per MONTH.

Although November was pretty good to me.

Yeah, the pint2pint *alone* took you 10 hours..
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

!Vamos, flaco!
    I get about 10 a week commuting, which shrinks a bit in the winter, plus a big ride on the weekend.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

friend of Apex
    My bike with the fewest $$$ invested (grociery getter AKA G-dub) gets the most use (miles and hours)...
    Rollin around town to do errands (i.e. pickin up formula/diapers for the newborn.) I structure what I can into biking, seems to help increase saddle time.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Yeah, the pint2pint *alone* took you 10 hours..
    I'm damn good at milking a ride for all it's worth... that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    . Summer can push 150 sometimes. .
    You do realize there's only 168 hours in one week, right? Either you're greatly exaggerating or you're the king of 24 hr solo competition.

skillz to pay billz
    Tried to squeeze one last one in at west mag. Got an hour riding the roads and hit any little ridable trail. Not much that doesn't have a foot deep heavy drift every 20 ft.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    You do realize there's only 168 hours in one week, right? Either you're greatly exaggerating or you're the king of 24 hr solo competition.
    Somehow I think he misinterpreted the question. Think he may of been referring to mileage. Otherwise Adventure Race training is more like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm on a structured plan peaking twice; once in late May and then again in early October. I've "allocated" 400 hrs for the year. Sounds picky but it has really helped me achieve better race results without spending too much time away from the family. My hourly quota ranges from 5.5 to 11.5 hrs/week at the end of my last Base week.

For the past two months, I've tried to get four structured rides (@ 1-1.5hrs) in per week and one fun/longer leisurely paced ride (@ 2-3+ hrs). Sometimes I'll incorporate the structure into my fun rides or my commutes if I miss one. I'm most likely done commuting for a couple months so most of my riding occurs either on my roadie during "lunch" or downstairs in the evening on the the trainer/rollers while the little man is doing his homework.

It's tough to juggle everything while trying to do anything reasonably well.

Moosehead

+1 to the Dad's getting it in

Balance is key. Get the groms into it and you have the best biking and skiing buddies possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heathen
    10-15 a week in the summer. 0-5 in the winter.

Trying to start indoor rock climbing again to supplement. Plus it's damn fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0