mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What's it worth?

I got a Gary Fisher Team Saddle (Selle San Marco) on an ebay bike years ago and it's been sitting in a box ever since. I'd like to sell it but have no idea what to ask.

For all I know it's worth thousands to some vintage saddle collector. For all I know it's worth what I paid for it (came with the bike).

Question: where can I go to find out some idea of what to set my starting price on ebay?
    I know, you will give me a 15 pack of PBR for it but I'm guessing there's some collector in Iowa who will mortgage the farm to buy it.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    bout tree fiddy.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    bout tree fiddy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looks like it would leave a nice embroidered taint imprint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss View Post
    Looks like it would leave a nice embroidered taint imprint.
    I was never able to sit on a saddle with seams. It hurts my butt just to look at it. Still...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    bout tree fiddy.
    It was just about then that I realized that MCS5280 was a lochness monter from the paleolithic era.

Thread Terrorist
    I haven't figured out why anyone would want to collect saddles. That said, I don't understand a lot of things. Seems like everything older than a year is vintage. The good thing is, it's an auction... so put it up there for a buck, and see if you get more than tree-fiddy.

IE
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a friend whose dad gave both he and his brother some older Casio watches. At a garage sale Steve would have got maybe $20. He tried to replace the battery, did some research, read "it's a rare watch", he put it on ebay and got $800 for it.

His brother said "I want a piece of that" and put his watch on ebay a few weeks later. An hour left on the auction it was at around $500 then eventually sold for $1,400. I'm just sayin', you never know on ebay. I just wouldn't want there to be only one guy interested in it, only fanatically so, willing to spend big bucks and turns out he's the only bidder.

I think I'll call Gary Fisher himself and see if he's interested. If his answer is "I'll give you tree fiddy for it" I just might keep it as wall art.

Chairman of the Beard
    I always start my ebay listings at $0.99 w/ no reserve. The insertion fees are less, and there was a study somewhere that my google-fu isn't strong enough to find right now that said once people have bid they feel like the item is "theirs" and are willing to bid higher. Also the more bids, the more legitimate the item seems and the more demand it seems like there is, so people bid more.

For me, it's a proven technique, I get top dollar for stuff, but I only sell stuff has a big market of interested buyers. For rarer, more unique items a higher starting bid can pay off if there's just one person interested who'll pay anything, but that's very rarely the case.

Anyway, it's hard to say, put up tons of high-resolution images, talk up the rarity and condition in the listing, and hopefully some bored nut-jobs pay a ton of dough for your taint-rest.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    People will pay a lot of money for the right saddle.

Brooks Team Pro Black with Titanium Rails Leather Bicycle / Bike Saddle / Seat (831273005634) | eBay

Not sure yours is the right one though.

mtbr member
    I just paid $36 for a lightly used Yeti branded Rocket V, seen them go anywhere from 30-80 on the bay to give you a reference point.

I've always been with hirsch, start very low, get the interest from everybody looking for the steal and hopefully two fools will go crazy.

The one bike I sold on the bay I started out at $200, was at $500 the day before the end and ended at $1,250, which was where I would have done a buy it now but I am willing to bet I would never have gotten anyone to even look at it if I started at 1k.

banned
    Oct 2004
    A zit on each butt-cheek and one on the taint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A zit on each butt-cheek and one on the taint.

Paully, you've found your new signature.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Paully, you've found your new signature.
    Nope. Still think Rick at KS told me a bunch of dog-poo about my (ex)i950...so gonna keep mine, thanx!

Inflexable...
    You should burn it...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just put it on fleabay with a starting bid of $150 and I already have one bidder.

Just kidding

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

GF seat

Still have those parts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sold it for $80 on fleabay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Take your spam elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Remember, Mr. Snob, you're on my Ignore List. But keep on replying if you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Remember, Mr. Snob, you're on my Ignore List. But keep on replying if you want.
    That ignore list must work really well. Would that be full-on ignore or selective ignore?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    That ignore list must work really well. Would that be full-on ignore or selective ignore?
    ]
    The real mistery is which mtbr regular are you? Some one on this site must have made an alter ego to go trollin'

IndecentExposure, FullTrucker, Nickle, Godzilla, DWF, PBRME!, BadAndy, JasonVelocity, Snowskilz, the list goes on. It could be anyone! Even me.

not actually bad :)
    Dang Matt, ya caught me.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    The real mistery is which mtbr regular are you? Some one on this site must have made an alter ego to go trollin'

IndecentExposure, FullTrucker, Nickle, Godzilla, DWF, PBRME!, BadAndy, JasonVelocity, Snowskilz, the list goes on. It could be anyone! Even me.
    Nickle, now there's a name from the past. He always had great posts from Moab, Fruita and all sorts of fun stuff. Anyone know what became of him?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Nickle, now there's a name from the past. He always had great posts from Moab, Fruita and all sorts of fun stuff. Anyone know what became of him?
    Apparently he got a life...away from posting here. Strange but true, it happens.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    $80 is darn good. that saddle is still a bit too new to be collectable, but obviously someone needed it. gotta love the fleabay
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    He's still around and riding. He updates facebook with ride pics now, apparently he gave up on mtbr.

...which means drukenbikessnob could be him!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    He's still around and riding. He updates facebook with ride pics now, apparently he gave up on mtbr.

...which means drukenbikessnob could be him!
    Nick lives in COS and I live in Evergreen, but we have been known to entertain the masses together..

Though, I did honor your PM request. A real troll would not have done that.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Nick lives in COS and I live in Evergreen, but we have been known to entertain the masses together..

Though, I did honor your PM request. A real troll would not have done that.
    Well now we now where you live and that you are in fact just goofing around on here. We'll figure out who you are at some point!

Then I'll probably buy you a beer, your posts are entertaining.

Thread Terrorist

Geez, i may not be smart, but I'm not that stupid. Not sure what his M.O. is, but he hasn't figured out sarcasm on the internet and everything is a red alert.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Members who have read this thread: 0