Moderator Moderator

What's open at Keystone?

Sarah and I are thinking of heading up tomorrow, but the Keystone trail conditions page seems to indicate that about 2/3 of the trails are closed - anyone know if that's the latest info? We don't want to spend money on lift tickets (or gas) if we have to ride fire road halfway down the mountain every time up.

Anyone got the latest scoop?

Thanks!

-Walt

Oh, So Interesting!
    Everything except Suze's Cruise, Milky Way and one other trail was open last I heard... but it wouldn't hurt to call them. Their website indicates otherwise, but probably wasn't updated recently.

is busy bein' rad.
    Cowboy Up, TNT, and Motorhead were all up and running on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    as of this afternoon, 11-7 and upper jam rock were the only closures

mtbr member
    11-7 is the only thing closed.

Trails are good, not much mud left.

percocet pioneer.
    funk were you there thursday? was that you?

Outcast
    Soooo, upper jam rock and milky way are open now?

mtbr member
    May 2005

everything...

is open. we rode upper jam rock and milky way on sunday. cowboy up was ridiculously flowy and tacky....

it's all good. they should be working on the 2 new options around wild thing this soon.

P"

Outcast
    Thanks P!

Your retarded
    Slightly off topic, but what trails will be closed to the public for the Gravity G3 race this weekend, the 29th-1st? I called to ask but have not heard back.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Slightly off topic, but what trails will be closed to the public for the Gravity G3 race this weekend, the 29th-1st? I called to ask but have not heard back.
    Nick, do you have a phone number for keystone where you can actually talk to a human who knows what's going on? I keep getting rerouted to recorded messages.
    I'm hoping to avoid any trail closures for the race by taking friday off and riding there then.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Nick, do you have a phone number for keystone where you can actually talk to a human who knows what's going on? I keep getting rerouted to recorded messages.
    I'm hoping to avoid any trail closures for the race by taking friday off and riding there then.
    I got through to someone who sent me over to the chick incharge of events. I left her a voicemail, but still haven't heard anything. I'll post it up here if I do.

This is the original number I called: 1-800-354-4FUN

I think the series is going on Friday too. Just an FYI.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I got through to someone who sent me over to the chick incharge of events. I left her a voicemail, but still haven't heard anything. I'll post it up here if I do.

This is the original number I called: 1-800-354-4FUN

I think the series is going on Friday too. Just an FYI.
    Yea, that's the same number I called. The chick forwarded me to the ski school answering machine.
    The dates I saw for the weekend races were the 30th and the 1st [sat and sunday]. I hope to find out soon, in case I need to move up my day off

Edit, check this out: New for the 2007 mountain bike season Bigfoot Productions and Keystone Resort introduce the Rocky Mountain G3 Gravity Series. Two downhills and a Super D will be showcased in the Keystone Bike Park June 30th and July 1st, 2007! Individual races will be scored and awarded and an event omnium champion will be recognized at each event. The G3 will offer up $10,000 cash purse at each event. Registration begins June 1, 2007 on www.active.com.

For more information please contact race coordinator, Mike McCormack, 970-333-1159 or log onto www.rockymtnG3.com

Outcast
    I just called Mike; He said that saturday afternoon, they will be using paid in full into wildthing for the dh race. He said he's somewhat sensitive to closing off the trails to the general public, so he intends not to keep it closed anymore than they have to. The super D race saturday is held after the lifts are closed for the day. Sunday's dh course isn't yet set, but he hopes to post all the info by tomorrow evening on www.g3gravityseries.com.
    He says no events or trail closures on friday; it's registration and practice. I guess I'll have a bunch of racers riding on my ass all day.

Your retarded
    I guess I'll have a bunch of racers riding on my ass all day.
    I can think of worse things. ;-)

Thanks for the info. I guess Keystone is still an option for this weekend.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I just called Mike; He said that saturday afternoon, they will be using paid in full into wildthing for the dh race. He said he's somewhat sensitive to closing off the trails to the general public, so he intends not to keep it closed anymore than they have to. The super D race saturday is held after the lifts are closed for the day. Sunday's dh course isn't yet set, but he hopes to post all the info by tomorrow evening on www.g3gravityseries.com.
    He says no events or trail closures on friday; it's registration and practice. I guess I'll have a bunch of racers riding on my ass all day.
    I have always avoided riding at a mountain on race days so I have a question.

If they close of Paid in Full into Wild Thing (and I assume River Runs as well to get to the bottom) does that mean any trails that cross it are closed as well? If they are it would mean that TNT wouldn't be rideable or any of the trails on that side. Even the trails out on the right I am having a hard time thinking of how you get back to the lifts without a crossover.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ive talked about this twice this week with Greg, and from my understanding:
    Friday everything is open
    Saterday: DH course is Milkyway --> Girlscouts --> Motorhead --> High Speed Dirt --> Jam Rock --> Mosquito Coast. with the finish being at the end of Mosquito.

Super D is Girlscouts --> Sue's --> Mosquito, finish at the end of mosquito.

Sunday: Downhill is the Normal, Cowboy --> Motor --> Paid --> Wild --> River

As for closures last time we talked about it was to close just the DH course on Saterday, all of milky, girls, motor, HSD, JamR and Mosquito.

The course on Sunday will cause more closures as they dont want course crossings open, figure on Cowboy, Motor, Paid, Wild, and River. With TnT, Punk, Loggers, Money, Boys and HSD closed due to access issues.

The Super D isnt supposed to affect too much, and with Girls and Mosquito already closed for the DH, closing Sue's for a bit shoulding be too much of a concern.

But given what will probably be open on Sunday, Id say Milky-->Girls-->service-->Jamrock-->Mosquito-->Celtic-->Bluegrass-->Sleepy is the best bet.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    11-7 was the only thing closed yesterday.

ya'll are right: money is kinda funky. my jump skill are by no means adequate to hit that trail the wzy it deserves.

jam rock was nice; methinks it'll be even better once all the loose/dusty stuff gets packed in a bit.

the geek and i got 5 runs in. i managed to clean wild thing on each run; something i've not done before. this makes me happy.

(pic of someone in a mojo jersey hitting the face drop, or whatever it's called)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As of Sunday everything was open except for 11-7. Still a few muddy spots but most trails are in good condition. I love the the upper section of Cowboy Up and I finally can clear the rock garden without thinking about it and the Triple Step in Wild Thing hasn't given me any grief It's gonna be a good summer

Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    As of Sunday everything was open except for 11-7. Still a few muddy spots but most trails are in good condition. I love the the upper section of Cowboy Up and I finally can clear the rock garden without thinking about it and the Triple Step in Wild Thing hasn't given me any grief It's gonna be a good summer
    Same! The Keystone dream trail section that my head creates is this:

Cowboy Up--->Mosquito Coast--->Wild Thing. Maybe with a little bit of Jam Rock thrown in on the bottom. IMO, those aren't the trails with the biggest features, but they have the best flow to them.

Rocky goodness with fast flowy in the trees.
    Last edited by scrublover; 06-26-2007 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I love the end of Jam Rock after you re-enter the woods with the log crossing.....so fun!

I finally made it across the bridge on Jam Rock, I always forget it's there and I'm never in the right gear and just fall over and tumble down the side.....this time I remembered

Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I love the end of Jam Rock after you re-enter the woods with the log crossing.....so fun!

I finally made it across the bridge on Jam Rock, I always forget it's there and I'm never in the right gear and just fall over and tumble down the side.....this time I remembered
    we only hit jam rock once; i wasn't impressed with the bridge there. to me, it had the feel and look of "hey! lets build a bridge for the hell of it, even though the terrain in this spot doesn't really need it" took the dirt line to the right of the bridge; kinda loose still, and i ended up spinning out on the slight up getting out of the "hole" it puts you in, but i like the natural lines more.

once it gets packed in there a bit more, it ought to flow very well.

to each their own!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    we only hit jam rock once; i wasn't impressed with the bridge there. to me, it had the feel and look of "hey! lets build a bridge for the hell of it, even though the terrain in this spot doesn't really need it" took the dirt line to the right of the bridge; kinda loose still, and i ended up spinning out on the slight up getting out of the "hole" it puts you in, but i like the natural lines more.

once it gets packed in there a bit more, it ought to flow very well.

to each their own!
    I agree, the bridge is dumb. I can never hold enough speed through the terrain directly before it to make it over the bridge very well. The 'chose you line" section that comes afterwards is cool; I once watched a dozen guys sessioning it; they were picking all sorts of cool lines. The guys were thinking outside the box, and making it look easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctis
    Saterday: DH course is Milkyway --> Girlscouts --> Motorhead --> High Speed Dirt --> Jam Rock --> Mosquito Coast. with the finish being at the end of Mosquito.

Sunday: Downhill is the Normal, Cowboy --> Motor --> Paid --> Wild --> River
    Strange to name a course after a section that's not on it.

From http://www.g3gravityseries.com/keystone.html:

# Saturday 12:00PM: Santa Cruz Punk Rock DH

# Sunday AM (late): Yeti Cycles 'Money' DH
    Last edited by FunkMaster; 06-26-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0