Thread: What's dry?

Motion activated

What's dry?

Besides MW/DR & Green Mountain is anything dry enough to ride?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Out Of Control
    Is MW and DR even 100% dry?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by jrok

I just gotta ride something tomorrow.... I wanta put my new fork though it paces so GM isn't going to cut it. I need rocks, lots of rock god damn it!

contains quinine
    Cool Avatar. Heard that on the radio this weekend!

I't looking more and more like a cross/road bike weekend around here, although you could make the drive west and hang out with 15 frontrangers...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by jrok
    Hey,

My knee is still bothering me a bit, but I can ride on it, and I'd like to at least go over to the hogback tomorrow morning to check it out. Should be OK and it it's usual state for this time of year a few days after a minor snowfall.

I'm not sure I have time later this afternoon to go hike it first to check. Anyone want to head over there tomorrow morning?

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Hey,

My knee is still bothering me a bit, but I can ride on it, and I'd like to at least go over to the hogback tomorrow morning to check it out. Should be OK and it it's usual state for this time of year a few days after a minor snowfall.

I'm not sure I have time later this afternoon to go hike it first to check. Anyone want to head over there tomorrow morning?

Cheers,

Dave

what time are you thinking about going Dave?

My cup runneth over
    MW is almost certain to be wet post-thaw tomorrow. I can see the snow from my house... GM (though unattractive to some!) is pretty dry.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Cool Avatar. Heard that on the radio this weekend!

I't looking more and more like a cross/road bike weekend around here, although you could make the drive west and hang out with 15 frontrangers...
    On the radio huh? It's just about gotta be a golden oldie by now lol.

I'd love to head down to Fruita (lots of rocks there), but we're looking for a house so buy. So we have to be in Denver this weekend for some house showings. Personally, I'd be happy to just live in a tent and spend all that money on bikes.........

mtbr member
    Well...as of a few hours ago, nothing is dry anywhere in Colorado Springs!

It's friggin half snowing/half raining for several hours now.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    MW is almost certain to be wet post-thaw tomorrow. I can see the snow from my house... GM (though unattractive to some!) is pretty dry.
    Sob, sob.

Oh well, looks like I'll be hitting up DR (If I can talk the wife into it) or Green (yawn) Mountain.

If any of you locals see a tall skinny fella on a blue Turner, say G'day.

RMAC, I'm guessing that since you can see GM from your house you live in Green Mountain Park. I'm looking at a place on Moore street this arvo. How do you like the area? How is east bound traffic on the 6 in the mornings?

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    what time are you thinking about going Dave?
    We are meeting in the M/W lot at 10:00am. We'll ride the hogback. The stairs are wet, and there are some soft spots here and there. The bare rocks are... dry. If trail conditions allow, we will cross the street and ride Red Rocks too, but I am not going to ride muddy trails.

Cheers,

Dave

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    We are meeting in the M/W lot at 10:00am. We'll ride the hogback. The stairs are wet, and there are some soft spots here and there. The bare rocks are... dry. If trail conditions allow, we will cross the street and ride Red Rocks too, but I am not going to ride muddy trails.

Cheers,

Dave
    ok, see you then.

mtbr member

Dr

Just got back from an out and back of DR. The stairs are alittle wet, but overall its in good shape. Didn't even consider MW as it looked pretty gooey. I know peeps do DR loops but this was my first time going backwards; its alot harder going back but I really enjoyed the technical aspect of it. Have fun...

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by billystack
    Just got back from an out and back of DR. The stairs are alittle wet, but overall its in good shape. Didn't even consider MW as it looked pretty gooey. I know peeps do DR loops but this was my first time going backwards; its alot harder going back but I really enjoyed the technical aspect of it. Have fun...
    Cool, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Our Plan A is to just ride the hogback. Plan B was to do the loop, but with current trail conditions, Plan A it is, and that is cool too on the Front Range in March!

Cheers,

Dave

My cup runneth over
    Just got back from GM/MW/DR/Zorro. Everything except MW is in pretty good shape (GM 99% dry on my loop). The usual places on MW have quite a bit of snow upslope of them (right down to the trail), so if it warms up there will be a couple of 100 yard sections that will be swamps. Frozen when I rode it - gonna have to stay cold to be rideable.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Sob, sob.

Oh well, looks like I'll be hitting up DR (If I can talk the wife into it) or Green (yawn) Mountain.

If any of you locals see a tall skinny fella on a blue Turner, say G'day.

RMAC, I'm guessing that since you can see GM from your house you live in Green Mountain Park. I'm looking at a place on Moore street this arvo. How do you like the area? How is east bound traffic on the 6 in the mornings?
    Yep, I am right between GM and Bear Creek Lake park East of Bear Creek Blvd. Half a mile to a trail head - couldn't be better. Rarely ever drive to a trail anymore. I work in Western Highland Ranch to almost never take 6th East in the morning, but it can't be good!

Although clearly biased, this is one of the best places to live for convenient year-round riding (in the State!) and trail running (even swimming in Bear Creek Lake in the summer evenings!).

Good luck in the house search!

Who's a member?..Member?

... and if we just ... Sat. 3/19 Ride

Veruca Salt and mtbdirteater,
    What a great ride Saturday turned out to be, and I thought I was going to have to avoid the bike all weekend due to trail conditions! We need to plan another adventure after this rain makes its way out of here.
    Cole
    Last edited by Cole; 03-21-2005 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Now that's just plain silly, Isn't It?"

Motion activated
    Yep, I am right between GM and Bear Creek Lake park East of Bear Creek Blvd. Half a mile to a trail head - couldn't be better. Rarely ever drive to a trail anymore. I work in Western Highland Ranch to almost never take 6th East in the morning, but it can't be good!

Although clearly biased, this is one of the best places to live for convenient year-round riding (in the State!) and trail running (even swimming in Bear Creek Lake in the summer evenings!).

Good luck in the house search!
    1/2 a mile from the trails would be so great - I'm jealous. There are some really like nice houses around Green Mountain Open Space but the ones we like are out of our price range. The house we looked at was about 2 miles from the trailhead, but as it turned out we didn't like the inside of it anyway. We did find an old Victorian we liked in Jefferson Park. No trails close by, but It's close to the Denver skate park.... and crack dealers . Looks like Iíll have to buy a BMX and get some tattoos, maybe join a gang

Motion activated
    Thanks for the trail reports guys. I talked the wife into an out and back at DR. Only a bit of mud around the stairs and a few small spots on the single track climb (before it gets technical).

The wife posted a few pics here - they're about 1/2 way down the page.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86794

contains quinine
    Thanks for the trail reports guys. I talked the wife into an out and back at DR. Only a bit of mud around the stairs and a few small spots on the single track climb (before it gets technical).

The wife posted a few pics here - they're about 1/2 way down the page.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86794
    Nice pics, I assume you took'em since she was in most of them. The one of the cliff with the road in the background does a great job of showing the exposure there. Nice!

Oh, and I heard that Jesus song on XM in a buddy's truck. on the Oldie Alternative station.

Motion activated
    Yeah I took those photos, so thanks. I didn't know there was such a things as an oldie alternative station... couldn't they have called it Gen X alternative or something less confronting... haha

My cup runneth over
    Yeah I took those photos, so thanks. I didn't know there was such a things as an oldie alternative station... couldn't they have called it Gen X alternative or something less confronting... haha
    Great pictures - really give an nice impression of the 'Ridge. Cool that you can get out and ride with your wife (particularly when its the technical stuff). Sorry the house search hasn't worked out yet. My street (W. Yale Ave) is the (only) low-rent street in the area - no regrets at all!

contains quinine
    I sure they call it something else, but I call it like i see it. It's like listening to GOOD college radio from 12-15 years ago. I gotta say, satalite radio is tempting. They've got tons of stations, and that oldies station had GREAT music.

If yer into 'good' music, check out:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/rad...es/thecurrent/

a buddy runs their website. Streams pretty good on dialup too.

Motion activated
    Great pictures - really give an nice impression of the 'Ridge. Cool that you can get out and ride with your wife (particularly when its the technical stuff). Sorry the house search hasn't worked out yet. My street (W. Yale Ave) is the (only) low-rent street in the area - no regrets at all!
    Thanks - you're right, I'm very very lucky to have my wife (and best friend) to ride with. She's a little ripper... keeps me on my toes. I know one of these days she going to start showing me up.

@Debaser - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Technology is my friend.

Look around some more.

1/2 a mile from the trails would be so great - I'm jealous. There are some really like nice houses around Green Mountain Open Space but the ones we like are out of our price range. The house we looked at was about 2 miles from the trailhead, but as it turned out we didn't like the inside of it anyway.
    If you are interested in Green Mountain, I'd encourage you to look around some more. There are a lot of houses here in all flavors. I live just east of Bear Creek Blvd on Coors (some say it was destiny). These houses were built around 1978, and there is more variety of shapes and sizes (1-story ranch, to 4-levels). I'd wager rmac that my part of the 'hood is lower rent than his, and I'm about 1/4 mile closer to the dirt.

Anyway, take your time and look around. I love the location. Excellent for launching road rides too. I never drive to a ride. But if you must, we're close to I-70 and 285.

Motion activated
    Thanks for the info Cartman. We do like GM as a location, but we've always lived inner city in older historic type houses. All the unusual houses in GM are $$$ - at least in the places we've looked at. The age old problem of Champaign taste on a beer budget. I'll check out the specific areas you've mentioned this week-end though see if there is anything interesting.

In all likely hood we'll be going ahead with this Victorian house in Jefferson Park. It blows being far way from the trails, but it should prove to be a good investment in the long term and like I said, I'll have to get a BMX and make the most living so close to the Denver skate park, but in summer the days are long enough to hit the trails after work, so itís not so bad.

I work in .001 tolerances

Mathew Winters....

Just finished riding Mathew Winters today and everything is dry except for the upper Red Rocks Trail. Even then the wet spots are easily avoidable.
    Enjoy!