mtbr member

What happened at Dakota?

I finished my ride today around 5:15 pm and there was about 8 cop cars and an abulance at the MW parking lot. I heard some hikers found a body down by the MW picnic tables.

In light of the MW stabbing 3-4 months ago, i'm starting to question my choice of trails.

Anyone know what happened?

Graeson

Perpetually single track
    I'd be interested to hear details, but I'm betting what you heard is rumor. If they found a body, I bet it'd be on the www.9news.com website.
    FWIW, I was there at 1:00pmish today.

I'm how far behind?

Body was found

I was finishing up my ride around 5:40 or so and I was cruising down the village loop. At the point where the trail runs parrallel to the creek (just across from the picnic tables) I see a guy face first on the ground in a big pool of blood with a handgun right next to him. I just about crashed my bike into the fence. It looked pretty recent, like minutes not hours. I lady walking her dog found it just prior to me getting down. I started to go to my car to call someone when the first officer showed up, some trail runners were waiting for them to show up in the parking lot. After the police started to show up, I went up to the upper junction of village loop and the main MW trail and directed people down the main one-- no one needs to see that at the end of their ride/hike.
    It was not the way I wanted to finish up a ride for sure. In a way, I'm hoping that it was a suicide, that would make me feel better about riding out there alone.

I checked 9news.com and denverpost.com and did not see anything about.
    Fatter than most.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I was finishing up my ride around 5:40 or so and I was cruising down the village loop. At the point where the trail runs parrallel to the creek (just across from the picnic tables) I see a guy face first on the ground in a big pool of blood with a handgun right next to him. I just about crashed my bike into the fence. It looked pretty recent, like minutes not hours. I lady walking her dog found it just prior to me getting down. I started to go to my car to call someone when the first officer showed up, some trail runners were waiting for them to show up in the parking lot. After the police started to show up, I went up to the upper junction of village loop and the main MW trail and directed people down the main one-- no one needs to see that at the end of their ride/hike.
    It was not the way I wanted to finish up a ride for sure. In a way, I'm hoping that it was a suicide, that would make me feel better about riding out there alone.

I checked 9news.com and denverpost.com and did not see anything about.
    Wow, scary story. Thanks for people off to avoid the scene, you are absolutely right no one needs to see that if unavoidable.

contains quinine
    Last summer, while on a ride along the boulder creek path with my wife, same thing: some guy offed himself, yellow ticker tape and 5-0's everywhere. Bike detour.

I'm glad I didn't see or hear anything.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Perpetually single track
    woah...not cool.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    woah...not cool.
    Not cool at all.You'd think that there would be better places to off yourself than a public park. Of course, propriety is probably the least of one's concerns at a time like that - but still...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Not cool at all.You'd think that there would be better places to off yourself than a public park. Of course, propriety is probably the least of one's concerns at a time like that - but still...
    That's what I was thinking. Who kills themselves on a public trail? It's like advertising your death. Not like jumping off a building in front of a crowd of people, but still. If you're gonna' kill yourself, be cool about it. Run into a burning building and die trying to save people. Join the service and go to Iraq and jump on the first bomb you can find. You know, die so others can live type of thing. If you got to go quick, make sure you're an organ donor and do it at the hospital or morgue and try not to make a mess of the important bits. I mean to others your life has value even in your death. Just cuz you have so little respect for your own life doesn't mean you can't have respect for others. Can you imagine some young mother with a barney cart full of kids coming up on that? I guess I just don't understand the whole suicide thing.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Still on Training Wheels!
    IMHO, suicide is a chicken $hi+ way out of a situation. If your realy that low, It can only get better and suicide isn't the answer.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Perpetually single track
    *shrug*...nice attiutude. When someone's that depressed, they likely don't see the possibility of things getting better. Tunnel vision. Depression is a serious issue, and apparently this guy found a treatment method that worked for him. Others may suggest alternate ones....

FWIW, I agree with you DWF...doing it public like that is not cool. Seeing someone die or dead sucks, especially the traumatic ones.

I'm how far behind?
    I agree that the choice of venue was less than desirable. I'm really glad that no parent had to explain to their children what was wrong with that man over there. I've got mixed feelings about it myself. Hemingway and Thompson didn't bother me at all, they lived their life and when the pain (physical) got too bad they took the matter into their own hands. And they both did it in the privacy of their own homes. This guy who knows-- maybe he had some serious health problems but more realistically the guy had some serious mental problems.

At least he did not do what the nut job in Greeley did last night. Tried to commit suicide by driving his 1 ton truck into a compact car at 90 mph. killed a 23 year old mother of 2 and he was able to get out of his truck and run from the cops--- now that is Chicken S***T!

Jim
    Fatter than most.