mtbr member

weaksauce again!!

WTF is going on with the Fox 40!?!?! Washed my bike after snowmass and looking closely at the 40's brake arch... there is a very small hairline crack on the arch where all of them are cracking and soon enough breaking!! Had one laydown on the Springs shuttle... but looked at it after and didn't notice anything (the crack is very small - so easy to look over) but besides that it had all been buttery love! So gonna send it in to Fox this weekend and hopefully have it warranteed? Seriously thinking about getting the fork back from Fox and selling it for a pretty screaming deal and picking up an new Travis. I know it is a Manipoo and all... but at least there are very very few Shermans out there with broken castings!! Anyone know of a place around Denver/Boulder where I could rent a pimp a$$ dh bike for keystone? Tried to get a pic... but can't seem to get one that comes out clear.. there are a couple of pics on RM where people have the same exact crack. The real bummer is I have an 06 40 with the early model 05 castings on it. Fox reps keep telling me that there is no change in the lowers... but us internet gurus know different See you at Keystone rocking a "real" dh bike

mtbr member
    Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuugh! That sucks Dave! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will hook you up!

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    Seriously thinking about getting the fork back from Fox and selling it for a pretty screaming deal and picking up an new Travis. I know it is a Manipoo and all... but at least there are very very few Shermans out there with broken castings!!
    I know of one person who would disagree with you. Here is a shot of the lowers off an 03 Sherman Breakout. This was taken last weekend. The good news it that Manitou is warrantying them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I know of one person who would disagree with you. Here is a shot of the lowers off an 03 Sherman Breakout. This was taken last weekend. The good news it that Manitou is warrantying them!
    manitou warranties everything. thats the only sherman ive ever seen broken, but its still a bad break.
    ETBW
    Magura

Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    manitou warranties everything. thats the only sherman ive ever seen broken, but its still a bad break.
    Having a good experience with Manitou CS if you've had your Manitou product for more than a year is like winning the lotto. It probably ain't gonna happen to you.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    Having a good experience with Manitou CS if you've had your Manitou product for more than a year is like winning the lotto. It probably ain't gonna happen to you.
    10 years later on Answer/Manitou and they have always had good CS.

The reason you people et bad CS is you give the reps a load of BS and act like the damage couldnt possibyl be your fault. Same can be said for 9 of 10 companies - there are always some bad apples. I have had 3 RMA/Warranties with Manitou and they have ALWAYS shined.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    WTF is going on with the Fox 40!?!?! Washed my bike after snowmass and looking closely at the 40's brake arch... there is a very small hairline crack on the arch where all of them are cracking and soon enough breaking!! Had one laydown on the Springs shuttle... but looked at it after and didn't notice anything (the crack is very small - so easy to look over) but besides that it had all been buttery love! So gonna send it in to Fox this weekend and hopefully have it warranteed? Seriously thinking about getting the fork back from Fox and selling it for a pretty screaming deal and picking up an new Travis. I know it is a Manipoo and all... but at least there are very very few Shermans out there with broken castings!! Anyone know of a place around Denver/Boulder where I could rent a pimp a$$ dh bike for keystone? Tried to get a pic... but can't seem to get one that comes out clear.. there are a couple of pics on RM where people have the same exact crack. The real bummer is I have an 06 40 with the early model 05 castings on it. Fox reps keep telling me that there is no change in the lowers... but us internet gurus know different See you at Keystone rocking a "real" dh bike
    Dave what bike are you going to get? Are you buying a new frame or just wanting to borrow someone's bike or what?

Edit: Nevermind, I read it wrong.
    Last edited by COmtbiker12; 08-26-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

dwj
    mtbr member
    dave, i've got a brand new, still in the box, '04 world cup boxxer for sale $500

tony, if your still interested let me know?

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    dave, i've got a brand new, still in the box, '04 world cup boxxer for sale $500

Dammit, wish I knew at the beginning of the week. My fork situation is all figured out currently. Thanks though.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Buckle Up
    That's not really a common place for a fork to break...
    <><

Rocket Scientist
    I just cant believe the DH40 of Love is cracking...WTF?!?!?
    Me skeered of DH40's...Looks like I'll be rocking a WC Boxxer or something of the sort for my new 303...Whenever the hell it comes out!

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    Dave, Get a boxxer.

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj

I may be interested...If dave isnt...
    I have begun my parts order for my new DH bike for next season...
    a Yeti 303 whenever it comes out...
    Last edited by bpatterson6; 08-26-2005 at 08:45 PM.

user-created
    The good news it that Manitou is warrantying them!
    Of course they'll warrant them, that's obviously a manufacturing defect. Broken 40 arches are a manufacturing defect too.

The difference is that just this 1 Sherman broke whereas pretty much every 40 seems to break. Well, that and the Shermans cost like a $1000 less.

In the few years Fox has been making forks, I've seen just about every model implode. Frequently.