mtbr member

Waterton - The ongoing saga

Just received a newsletter where the Waterton Canyon Commissioners Board is quoted as saying the Waterton Canyon dredging project, "has been a failure" and they are "reevaluating" the effort.

So, while the canyon does open again tomorrow (March 1, 2012), it looks like there's bound to be future closures so they can somehow finish the dredging project.

While the canyon is under Denver Water control, I'm hopeful that this last (and lengthy) closure will have them looking for alternatives to fully closing down the canyon should that be necessary in the future. There's probably not a lot any one agency or group can do on their own, but perhaps several agencies, groups and voices combined could convince DW to come up with some sort of plan that would allow them to finish their project while providing access - even on a part-time basis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Front Range volunteer trailbuilders should just go in there for a few days and git 'er done!

Maybe they'll hire some other out-of-state company for the next attempt.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Waterton - The ongoing saga

I wanted to reply to your post with the information we (Denver Water) have. First, let me say weíre sorry for the inconvenience of having the canyon closed and appreciate everyoneís patience.

As you know, the canyon was closed for a dredging project. We are hopeful that the amount and location of sediment removed will allow us to keep the canyon open for the next several years. That said, we will need to close the canyon for three weeks this spring so the contractor can remove the dredge. More information on that closure will be available after the ice is off the reservoir.

Runoff from the fires is an issue we will continue to need to address over the long-term. No other municipal agency has faced a similar challenge to restoring its principal water supply.

I hope this information helps. I know this is your mountain biking forum, but wanted to provide you with the information we have. Thank you.

mtbr member
    I think we're all happy to have the canyon open again! I spent three hours out there this morning. I was nice to just putter along and enjoy it again.

Bummer that it has to close down again this spring, but I think most folks understand why.

Hope to see you out there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Way to get out there before the snow hits. Glad you had a great morning!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by stacychesney View Post
    Way to get out there before the snow hits. Glad you had a great morning!
    Thank you for taking time to set up an account and posting to the forums- As in most cases communication is key for everybody. While the 3 week closure is unavoidable is there a way to allow access on the weekends or one day a weekend? A three week closure is not that long compared to how long it has been closed. Just wondering if there are options.

Also - from the sound of it - this is just the beginning of a potential new project beginning and prolonging the process and more potential closures- IF this is the case at the very least i would like to see access granted from the bottom of the Roxy loop- to the road back up to the beginning of the CT- rather than a sign at the bottom saying you need to climb back up.

thanks for reading.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I think a trail from the mouth of the canyon ALL the way up to Trail 1776 would be the ticket. MOAR SINGLETRACK!!

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I think a trail from the mouth of the canyon ALL the way up to Trail 1776 would be the ticket. MOAR SINGLETRACK!!
    I like this idea. Let local trail builders put in a new trail to give access when the main road in is closed.

My cup runneth over
    +1 That would be awesome.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    6 miles of singletrack in a steep-walled canyon? Challenging... but I'd wager it would kick a$$.

mtbr member
    consider me a vollenteer, my fear is that the trail would be designated hiking only because after all the bikes can should us the road

mtbr member
    PBR, great post and I'd agree.

I'd also agree with everyone on just how awesome a singletrack would be on the canyon wall. It'd be a little tricky to plan, mostly due to the private property at the mouth of the canyon and it'd have to cross the road at one point because of the dam. Probably right at that bridge about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the canyon.

I wonder what the Forest Service and Denver Water would think of such a proposal?

mtbr member

Google Earth images of dredging

I just noticed, Google Earth has some new images (from this past summer?) of the dredging operation. You can see the entire project laid out from Kassler to the boost stations and barges on the reservoir.

Looking at it from a Google Earth perspective, it's like sucking up 25+ football fields of sediment through a straw!

A noble effort.

By the way stacychesney, what's going to happen to all the sediment that's currently packed into the old holding ponds there at Kassler?

mtbr member

Some pics from my ride today!

Actually got out to the canyon today! It was nice
    Last edited by tgormleyjr; 03-01-2012 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The sediment that was dredged out of the reservoir is stockpiled in the former Kassler Treatment Plant filter beds at the bottom of the canyon (just looks like a dirt area there now). The stockpile will be stabilized with native grasses and may be used at some later date for future Denver Water projects.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Thank you for taking time to set up an account and posting to the forums- As in most cases communication is key for everybody. While the 3 week closure is unavoidable is there a way to allow access on the weekends or one day a weekend? A three week closure is not that long compared to how long it has been closed. Just wondering if there are options.

Also - from the sound of it - this is just the beginning of a potential new project beginning and prolonging the process and more potential closures- IF this is the case at the very least i would like to see access granted from the bottom of the Roxy loop- to the road back up to the beginning of the CT- rather than a sign at the bottom saying you need to climb back up.

thanks for reading.
    To PBR me!

I totally understand where youíre coming from and wish we could have the canyon open during weekends while the three-week closure is happening. Unfortunately, our agreement with the contractor says the canyon will be closed for three weeks to allow for them to work safely. We donít believe the road will be safe enough to allow a one-day opening to the public during the weekends of the three-week closure. The contractor is removing a 75-ton dredge and its related equipment, and likely will work six days/week to get it all down. There may be work on Sundays or there could be equipment and trucks staged on the access road during any day of the agreed to three-week period.

At this point, we are not discussing a potential new project. As I mentioned above, we are hopeful that the amount and location of sediment removed will allow us to keep the canyon open for the next several years. That said, you have a good point about signage. I talked to my folks about your concern and we werenít able to place the signs any higher than they were because our means of transport didnít allow us to access that area. Iím sorry that we werenít able to accommodate that request.

Thread Terrorist
    Make it so, bacon, make it so.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Make it so, bacon, make it so.
    I'll get the Boy Scouts on it right away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Waterton's 3-week closure

As you know, Waterton Canyon reopened March 1 after being closed in August 2010 for the dredging of Strontia Springs Reservoir. At that time, we said the canyon would need to be closed for three weeks in the spring for the contractor to remove the dredge.

The reservoir ice melted quickly because of the warm weather. As a result, the canyon will be closed for three weeks beginning at 7 p.m. on Sunday, April 1. The canyon will reopen Monday, April 23, at 7 a.m. In the interest of public safety, we have to close the canyon while the work to demobilize this complex project is completed. I know there were questions about opening on the weekends during this time, but unfortunately, we canít do that during this three-week process.

Hereís a link to more info: ****************GD4IIp.

We hope you understand Ė thanks for your patience.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stacychesney View Post
    As you know, Waterton Canyon reopened March 1 after being closed in August 2010 for the dredging of Strontia Springs Reservoir. At that time, we said the canyon would need to be closed for three weeks in the spring for the contractor to remove the dredge.

The reservoir ice melted quickly because of the warm weather. As a result, the canyon will be closed for three weeks beginning at 7 p.m. on Sunday, April 1.

Are you sure this isn't an April Fools joke?

Fixed your link. Click here.

mtbr member
    Well, that is a bummer, but I'd rather have it closed sooner than later!

Thank you for helping to keep the community updated.

Sparkeater

Waterton Dredge ops

Here are a few shots of the res from last October. These were taken from up on rdgeline behind Lennys, on the opposite side of Turkshead Pk
    I came in from IC to the bench, and then hiked up and bushwacked (east) to a overlook that I use to take my son to 20+ years ago.

I would think there would be some room for negotiating access( in the future) even if on a limited basis, if DW put it in the contract up front. I would hope maybe that the public would might have some input on the issue for any pending projects in the canyon..... to late this time, but hopefully this will considered if they need to do work in the future at some point
    I've had serious "Waterton withdrawals" not being able to get in there for such a loooong time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterton - The ongoing saga-waterton-canyon-dredge-ops-017.jpg  

Waterton - The ongoing saga-waterton-canyon-dredge-ops-026.jpg  

Waterton - The ongoing saga-waterton-canyon-dredge-ops-021.jpg  

Waterton - The ongoing saga-dredge-bear-crk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

henry108...

check your PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the fix! And sorry, not an April Fools' joke ...

mtbr member
    I think the early April closure is the best case scenario to restoring our access to this area--especially for those that want to use this as an access point for the CT which won't fully open due to snow until much later (although sooner than normal with our current snow pack). I really wanted to say was a big thanks for the update to stacychesny--it is so nice to have input and information from DW and when provided in a forum such as this and in the fashion you delivered it, it puts a human touch on what many feel is just a large corporation/entity. It is a welcome addition and one that I feel encourages at least myself to try and reach out and find ways to communicate more with organizations that impact access to areas for hiking and biking in our communities.

I work in the construction industry and you see in large development contracts a stipulation to use X number of dollars for "Art in Public Spaces" (such as those large "dancers" outside the Convention Center) that are worked into the contracts. I would love to see something of the like possibly set aside in projects like this for trail building (which is truly art in my mind)--If there could be a very small percentage negotiated specifically for single track access to be used even with a volunteer crew such as we are, then this little bit could go a very long way and provide access for thousands of visitors creating a very tangible impact on enjoyment. I don't see a simplier way to help fund/negotiate something like this nor a better time than at the contract negotiation to start something like this to minimize the impact on the users. There is usually a clause of restoring the areas, but I am talking about a little more than a dirt road...

Maybe this already happens and I am late to the game--but better late than never.

Members who have read this thread: 0