DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Waterton Canyon - 2/27/05

Rode Waterton on Sunday AM just to see how things were and to do a little scouting for the upcoming death march. We left from the house so it's about 8 or so miles along the Platte River trail to the WC parking lot, and then that joyous 6-miles or so of dirt road to the dam. Everything to this point was nice & dry. The climb to the first bench past the dam was in good shape but the trail to Lenny's was iffy. Actually the trail wasn't that bad, a lot of it was dry, but there were several sections where the trail was completely coated with ice and slick as hell and no way to get around it other than just hope you don't bust your azz too bad when you DO go down. I'd suggest boots and platforms instead of zero traction MTB shoes.

We took break at Lenny's and then checked out the CT to the Bear Creek drainage. Basically, if it's South facing, it's clear. If it's not South facing or if it's in the shade and there has been little or no traffic on the trail, it's crusty, ridable, snow, otherwise, it's ice. We didn't have time to go to far, but we did come back and do the Roxborough loop. This actually wasn't too bad, if fact it was a lot of fun riding the snowed in trail along the creek. Overall, the trail is in surprisingly good shape for this early in the year with the worst part being from the first bench to Lenny's. It took us about 4 hours for the whole ride, 35 or so miles, and a lot of that time was spent pushing bikes up the climb to Lenny's. I think it you had some studded Nokes, the whole thing would be ridable. Anyway, I think the Death March over the CT to Waterton from the Platte is going to be easier than I anticipated unless we get a lot of snow between now and then.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

locked - time out
    Sweet - not to be the whining one here, but is there any possibility of doing it on the 6th? Not sure I'll be able to swing Sat. Glad to hear that it's looking so good - supposed to be in the 50s this week, hopefully that'll melt off the rest.

Perpetually single track
    when did we decide we'd do it? Memory fading.... I think I have plans that weekend.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Sweet - not to be the whining one here, but is there any possibility of doing it on the 6th? Not sure I'll be able to swing Sat. Glad to hear that it's looking so good - supposed to be in the 50s this week, hopefully that'll melt off the rest.
    Yeah the 6th is fine and I'm down with it but I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a few more weeks to get in better shape (insert waffling here). That last ride kicked my azz and for some reason it absolutely destroyed DWJr which is odd since he's usually kicking my butt. I know I can make it, but at this point, I not sure he can and since there's no way for him to bail once we're on the trail, it'll get ugly. On the other hand, he needs the shite kicked out of him once in a while. Screw it, lets do it! This cold is turning me into a huge wuss.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Yeah the 6th is fine and I'm down with it but I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a few more weeks to get in better shape (insert waffling here). That last ride kicked my azz and for some reason it absolutely destroyed DWJr which is odd since he's usually kicking my butt. I know I can make it, but at this point, I not sure he can and since there's no way for him to bail once we're on the trail, it'll get ugly. On the other hand, he needs the shite kicked out of him once in a while. Screw it, lets do it! This cold is turning me into a huge wuss.
    Whatever sounds best for you guys, that cold kicked my @ss for a few weeks too. I've been sitting behind my desk, eating tons of junkfood and reading stuff about riding on MTBR, so I expect to be in great riding shape for the deathmarch. E-training, dude - it's where it's at...

We could always move the deathmarch to Fruita the weekend of the 19th.

Perpetually single track
    Yeah the 6th is fine
    6th ehh? Like I said, I'd be out for that weekend...*sigh* oh well. I'll be in Moab imagining you guys suffering.....
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Hairshirt Rider
    Yeah the 6th is fine
    Rolling from your place? What time?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Rolling from your place? What time?
    Hey Paul - Dunno. You'd be doing all the driving, what time is good for you? Should start early. I'd say rolling no later than 9am. Singlespeeding it? Josh, you singling it too?

locked - time out
    Hey Paul - Dunno. You'd be doing all the driving, what time is good for you? Should start early. I'd say rolling no later than 9am. Singlespeeding it? Josh, you singling it too?
    Not sure yet, I was thinking that I might ride the AC, but I imagine that'll change if everyone else is riding singlespeed.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Not sure yet, I was thinking that I might ride the AC, but I imagine that'll change if everyone else is riding singlespeed.
    I'll be on gears, my standard ride, but may go for some lighter tires. It's going to hurt. I'm going to try to minimize it. You on the other hand, should definitely bring the big bike.

Evil Lurks
    Ditto that - I'll be in Moab also. If you decide to wait a weekend, I'll come suffer through it with you. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing some pictures next week.

Hairshirt Rider
    I'll be set up 1x9. This would be a sucky ride on the single given my current fitness level, and the long pull on the flats to Sedalia.

I can start earlier, but 9 is OK.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    I'll be set up 1x9. This would be a sucky ride on the single given my current fitness level, and the long pull on the flats to Sedalia.

I can start earlier, but 9 is OK.
    I scouted the route and you're right, the 12 or so miles of heavy climbing from Sedalia to Rampart Range is going to be UGLY. On the plus side, that climb is all paved and there's a quite a few miles of 15% downhill once we hit the top. In all, there's about 20-miles of paved road and 10 of dirt. The dirt road to the CT trail is all downhill as we follow the river down to the crossing. The climb up the CT from the Platte is perfectly clear and I suspect that most of the trail along the top is too. Once we descend into the drainage (where all the rock steps are) I expect that to be all ice & snow, probably a mile or two of hikeybikey.

I figure it will take us about 3.5 hours make it to the CT trail and another 3.5 hours to clear the CT.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    It's off for me this weekend. Jill has to go to Alaska for a couple weeks and she's leaving on Sunday which means I'll be running errands this weekend and taking her to the airport. Sorry about the late notice.

locked - time out
    It's off for me this weekend. Jill has to go to Alaska for a couple weeks and she's leaving on Sunday which means I'll be running errands this weekend and taking her to the airport. Sorry about the late notice.
    No worries, let me know if you want to get another "regular" ride in sometime this weekend instead - weather is supposed to be really nice.

Hairshirt Rider
    It'll be waiting for us.

Evil Lurks
    perfect. Let Kirk and me know when you decide to do it, and we'll come down.