Thread: Waterton

mtbr member

Waterton

Anyone got confirmation or more up to date info?

"Waterton Canyon to reopen March 2012

Dec. 20, 2011 - Waterton Canyon will reopen March 1, 2012, weather-permitting.

In the aftermath of the Buffalo Creek and Hayman fires, intense rains caused massive sediment to build up in Strontia Springs Reservoir, a key water supply source for the Denver-metro area located at the top of Waterton Canyon. As a result, Waterton Canyon, located southwest of Denver, was closed to public access in August 2010 for a Denver Water contractor to dredge the reservoir.

The canyon was scheduled to reopen at the end of 2011. Project demobilization, however, is still underway. In the interest of public safety, Waterton Canyon will reopen March 1, 2012, weather-permitting, after the majority of heavy machinery and equipment is demobilized. The 75-ton dredge will remain in the reservoir until the ice melts, so the canyon will need to be closed for three weeks in the spring for the contractor to remove the dredge. Further information about the three-week closure will be provided once the ice has melted.

“We apologize for the delay, and are deeply aware of the disappointment an extended closure presents to users of Waterton Canyon,” said Doug Raitt, construction project manager for Denver Water. “We fully understand the recreational importance of the canyon and realize it is one of the most popular recreational amenities in our community. We ask for the public’s patience and understanding as our contractor completes the work to demobilize this complex project.”

“The challenge of this project always has been to safeguard our vital water supply while removing sediment brought down the river by runoff from the fire-ravaged forests,” said Raitt. “No other municipal agency has faced a similar challenge to restoring its principal water supply.”

mtbr member
    Permit signs for the reconditioned parking area (nice!) were posted a week ago and were removed this past weekend (the public notice type.) I haven't seen any more truckloads of pipe being trucked up Wadsworth. Activity around the mouth of the canyon has diminished as well and things are looking a bit more cleaned up.

So, while it's not a definitive answer, I'd put my money on March 1st. I'll be at the gate next Thursday morning!

Remember, this is a temporary opening until later this spring when they'll close the canyon again for 6 weeks or so to get the two remaining barges off the reservoir after the ice melts.

Rigid in Evergreen
    So with all the trouble with the contractor, were they able to finish the project?

I'm glad to see that Denver Water is listening, they could have easily left it closed until they got the barge out.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly they only managed to get about 1/3 of the sediment they expected to (don't quote me on that.) So, they didn't actually achieve the goals that they set out to meet with the original project plan.

I have no idea what that means for the future of the canyon in terms of another possible closure. There's still a lot of sediment that needs removal. Denver Water isn't going to just back off because the giant straw technique didn't work.

Let's enjoy it while we can.

mtbr member
    anyone planning a group celebratory ride for the first of march? Time? Location?

mtbr member
    I'm gonna be at the gate, bright and early chanting "open! open! open!".

I actually have an email into Denver Water asking them if they're still planning on opening the 1st and what time.

Members who have read this thread: 0