Volunteer Spam: Cheyenne Mountain - Dixon Trail build, Oct 7, 8, 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Listen! Volunteer Spam: Cheyenne Mountain - Dixon Trail build, Oct 7, 8, 9

After talking about it for years we are finally ready to put some tools in the dirt and start construction on a trail to the top of Cheyenne Mountain. Colorado State Parks, in association with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado, is having a trail construction weekend October 7 - 9 (Fri - Sun). This will be a down payment on what will eventually be a trail that is about four miles long to the southeast side of the top of Cheyenne Mountain. This new trail will be called the Dixon Trail. It will start at the highest point of the North Talon Trail and work its way up the ridge and disappear into the backcountry. This is definitely some sweet terrain! And no, this isn't just another hiking trail that you can bike if you want, this trail is being designed to flow -- it will be a fun ride!

Since this is a VOC project that means that meals are included. There will be a hot breakfast, a pack your own lunch at the lunch fixins table, and appetizers followed by dinner. A luau theme is planned, so pack your grass skirt and be prepared to eat pig and drink beer. (Sorry, no poi.)

Free camping will be in the park's Meadow Group camping area. Hot showers are available in the park so you don't have to go to bed stinking like a sweaty pack animal if you don't want to.

Bring your bike and at the end of the day you can sample some of the 20 miles of trails in the park.

For more information and to sign up go here.

Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado
    Cheyenne Mountain State Park
    Friends of Cheyenne Mountain State Park
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BonkedAgain; 09-15-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Pivot Rider
    Sounds like fun! However, we (the Dirt Divas & friends) will be in Moab that weekend. Hope your turn out is good and that you aren't having to move/place and then re - place/move lots of rocks like we did on the now termed Blackjack Trail in Buff Creek!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl View Post
    Sounds like fun! However, we (the Dirt Divas & friends) will be in Moab that weekend. Hope your turn out is good and that you aren't having to move/place and then re - place/move lots of rocks like we did on the now termed Blackjack Trail in Buff Creek!
    Hey Nancy, have fun in Moab! Seems like the last time I posted a project you said you would be in Moab. I'm starting to feel suspicious...

There is a banked turn planned for this build but I am really determined to place the rocks once.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Is there any availibility to work on just one day, or does it need to be the whole time? I would love to help out for a day, but I can't spend three days unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Is there any availibility to work on just one day, or does it need to be the whole time?
    Working one day is no problem at all. In the signup system just check the day(s) you want to work and you are all set. Saturdays are always most popular so if you can work Friday and/or Sunday that would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just signed up. I dont have any access to tools or anything of the sort. Will all of those be provided? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whos that guy View Post
    I just signed up. I dont have any access to tools or anything of the sort. Will all of those be provided? Thanks
    Thanks a lot for helping out! Yes, all tools will be provided. You should expect to bring work boots, gloves, light jacket in case of rain, and water bottles or a bladder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excellent, Can't wait! See you there