Vail Outlier or Outerbike Moab- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Vail Outlier or Outerbike Moab

I'm debating on which would be better for demos. Vail is half price and half the distance. Biggest concern is crowds, size of the demo fleets they bring, and variety. Has anyone been to both in the past years?

mtbr member
    It also depends on the kind of terrain you want to demo the bike on... that's a pretty significant difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think Moab would settle my inner 27.5 vs 29er debate.

mtbr member
    I doubt it. I love riding there on both wheel sizes... mostly because Moab is just awesome in general. I'll take my HD4 or my TrailFox 29er and be happy either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been to Outerbike Moab a bunch of times. I was planning to go to the Crested Butte one but it's just too much money now for my daughter and me to both attend.

Vail looks interesting, it's closer, and a bit cheaper. I might need to check it out!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by INF216 View Post
    I'm debating on which would be better for demos. Vail is half price and half the distance. Biggest concern is crowds, size of the demo fleets they bring, and variety. Has anyone been to both in the past years?
    I've worked both events and attended both as well (I was at Niner 10 years) so here is the deal:

Moab Outerbike - This is a truly catered demo event at Moab Brand Trails. You can pick a bike to ride in the general Moab Brand trail network, or take it out to ride the bigger trails in one of a few sections 30-45 minutes from the venue. These bikes are identified by a colored wrist band. You have HUNDREDS of people typically running when they let people in, it is a stampede to what seems like the Yeti, Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Pivot, etc. brands. So if you have your heart set on one of these bikes, your chances are a lot smaller as it seems everyone wants to ride the boutique. If you are a S or XL size, your chances are even smaller, as they focus on the M and L sizes and go heavy with them in the trailer.

Vail Outlier - this is a WAY more laid back event. People actually enjoy their pastries and coffee as they come through the village. You have the brands mentioned above, including Scott, Spot, and a few others. There is no mad dash to popular brands. There is the chairlift at the demo, so people tend to do more back to back riding and bikes come back way quicker. Some in 30 minutes or less. Your chance of actually riding a bike you want is way higher, but the terrain is a bit less demanding than Moab. It's still a ton of fun and Vail has some great runs to challenge just about everyone.

Both are great events. You will drive your car a lot in Moab, in Vail you can park and do everything in Vail. Vail has Aspens too, pretty amazing time the year. Moab has been super hot and windy still depending on the year.

Hope that helps,
    Brett
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    I've worked both events and attended both as well (I was at Niner 10 years) so here is the deal:

Moab Outerbike - This is a truly catered demo event at Moab Brand Trails. You can pick a bike to ride in the general Moab Brand trail network, or take it out to ride the bigger trails in one of a few sections 30-45 minutes from the venue. These bikes are identified by a colored wrist band. You have HUNDREDS of people typically running when they let people in, it is a stampede to what seems like the Yeti, Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Pivot, etc. brands. So if you have your heart set on one of these bikes, your chances are a lot smaller as it seems everyone wants to ride the boutique. If you are a S or XL size, your chances are even smaller, as they focus on the M and L sizes and go heavy with them in the trailer.

Vail Outlier - this is a WAY more laid back event. People actually enjoy their pastries and coffee as they come through the village. You have the brands mentioned above, including Scott, Spot, and a few others. There is no mad dash to popular brands. There is the chairlift at the demo, so people tend to do more back to back riding and bikes come back way quicker. Some in 30 minutes or less. Your chance of actually riding a bike you want is way higher, but the terrain is a bit less demanding than Moab. It's still a ton of fun and Vail has some great runs to challenge just about everyone.

Both are great events. You will drive your car a lot in Moab, in Vail you can park and do everything in Vail. Vail has Aspens too, pretty amazing time the year. Moab has been super hot and windy still depending on the year.

Hope that helps,
    Brett
    Thanks, this is the second time hearing of the Everyman for himself and to bring a shank. I may just go to vail.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by INF216 View Post
    Thanks, this is the second time hearing of the Everyman for himself and to bring a shank. I may just go to vail.
    A little late for this year, but...
    I've been to fall and spring Outerbikes. Fall is more worth it. More schwag given out and brands there. Just get up early and in line and you won't have a problem getting what you want. It's very worthwhile.