mtbr member

Vail Downhill Update: Not worth the drive

I rode Vail resort Downhill last week and man it sucks now. The construction still has you riding through the village to get back to the lift. They shut down the east side of the resort, so the 1994 downhill tail is closed. So there is really only two paths from top to bottom. Top of Old 9 is washed out, and half the trails need some trail work.

I'll never ride the place again, even if the lifts were free.
    How can they go from being the best DH riding a couple years ago to this?

Thread Terrorist
    My Guesses are:

Keystone and Vail are owned by Vail resorts:
    a. Don't have them compete for the same small industry
    b. Consolidate trail development/maintenance crews to one mountain
    c. Keystone is closer to Denver (more $$$$)

mtbr member
    I heard the same from a friend that went up last weekend. I had a blast there last year, sound very disappointing now.

Inflexable...
    How dare you come here and start badmouthing our resorts. Going on and on about how they are not worthy, etc. etc...

Oh, wait. You said Vail.

Carry on...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

PDB
    SUFD
    Sucks what has happened there. Vail's trails always had good flow, good dirt, trees, great speed.... I LOVED riding there. Keystone's ok... but it's not up the quality of Lake Tahoe, Angelfire, Plattekill, (do I dare bring up Canada), etc? How can Colorado be lacking? We've got the terrain and the riders... all we need is someone who understands flow to start building (and is employed by one of the biggie resorts).
    My 2 cents.
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    how about the unmarked trails in the trees? anyone ridden those yet this summer?

feel the Force
    [QUOTE=PDB] We've got the terrain and the riders... all we need is someone who understands flow to start building (and is employed by one of the biggie resorts).
    QUOTE]

Hear, Hear! I second this opinion! I know, Keystone has, or had, Bender helping with the trails, but seriously. He may have massive cojones, but technique, finesse, and understanding flow are lacking. Who they could use is Mr. Troy Rarick (Fruita). He may not be known as a DH'er, but check out his trails, and that man understands flow.

PDB
    SUFD
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    how about the unmarked trails in the trees? anyone ridden those yet this summer?
    how does one answer this question?
    posting this stuff on open forums is kind of a FOPA, is it not? Don't want to come off like I'm an ass - but haven't we had several people ask about "unmarked" trails with little to no success?
    There's always email - PM - or (if you know about "it") traveling. I'm all about the trails.. but I'm all about keeping good trails good (and not closed down).

Back to Flow... how do we make this happen? is it possible for a community of consumers to gather their collective might and elect (or at least nominate) someone to lead the trail building efforts?
    OR
    Have a Volunteer base (core group of 4-6 riders) to help consult on new trail construction. Of course - we'd have to light a fire under the collective asses in the winterized world of ski-resorts...

Today's
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

e-misanthrope
    I must not get it - I haven't met a DH trail I didn't like (well, with the exception of Mt. Goat - climbing out of a relatively flat "DH" trail is no good) I thought the CW course at WP had pretty decent flow, but heard over and over again how weak it was because it lacked tech features (which it did) - Keystone IMO, has some decent tech stuff, and some reasonably big stuff - yet people claim it has no flow (I don't see this). Is the stuff north of the border that good? or is this a bandwagon type deal?

Not discounting anyone's opinion - I just don't get it. I think the CO of 2007 beats the hell out of the CO of 2003.
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I think people need to develop their own flow and not expect to have it served to them on a dirty platter.
    There are so many cool combinations available to ride at Keystone now, and its about to get better within a week or 2.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I think people need to develop their own flow and not expect to have it served to them on a dirty platter...

That would require skill

Members who have read this thread: 0