Thread: Vail 9/10

Centennial, CO

Vail 9/10

Anyone headed up to Vail this weekend? I've never ridden Vail. I'm curious as to whether or not there is more trail than what's available at Keystone. How's the trail? Fast and furious, etc.? Is it busy this time of the year?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Shawn.

Rocket Scientist
    Keystone is more fun that Vail.
    I love Vail, but no improvements have been made there.
    With all of the new stuff going into Keystone, I can't wait to get up there and see if anything has gone in this week. Plus I can't wait to hit up the new Wooden ladder bridge Drop again...
    That drop is just too much fun!

Centennial, CO
    OK. I agree. I spend a day in Keystone two weeks ago and today in Vail. Keystone hands down. Vail was ungroomed at all, which is fine but the "blue" trails for non-DHers were nothing more than unkept fire roads. We ended up riding the diamonds which weren't too bad at a slow speed. There's very little, if any, singletrack for non-DHers.

Next week I want to try Winter Park since they claim to be the "Mountain Bike Capital of the World". Any opinions on Winter Park versus Keystone. If I hear WP sucks, I'm back to Keystone. It was a total blast.

Shawn.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shport
    OK. I agree. I spend a day in Keystone two weeks ago and today in Vail. Keystone hands down. Vail was ungroomed at all, which is fine but the "blue" trails for non-DHers were nothing more than unkept fire roads. We ended up riding the diamonds which weren't too bad at a slow speed. There's very little, if any, singletrack for non-DHers.

Next week I want to try Winter Park since they claim to be the "Mountain Bike Capital of the World". Any opinions on Winter Park versus Keystone. If I hear WP sucks, I'm back to Keystone. It was a total blast.

Shawn.

you're absolutely correct, if you're looking to start in vail village, and end in vail village. but you if you don't mind riding the backside of the mountain, there's some great singletrack. i've only ridden vail once, while on business back in july (i'm from massachusetts), but there were a handful of great trails from the top of the mountain back down. i only took the washed-out fireroads UP, beautiful singletrack back down.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs