vacation planing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

vacation planing

I am planning a vacation out to CO this fall. I just plan on packing up the car with my bike tent and girlfriend and driving out and camping on the national forest. My girlfriend is new to mountain biking, but has done road biking in triathlons. I am looking for less technical trails, with good scenery. Its going to be a 4 or 5 day stay, with maybe hike climb to the top of one of the higher mountains, and maybe a 2 day hike backpacking trip. I have only been to CO for skiing so far, I am not familiar with any trails, any input is appreciated. thanks we will be coming from MI, and would like to avoid going very far west. I can explore farther west latter.
    Last edited by rockyrunner99; 04-09-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added info

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Way too vague. Do your homework and then come back with more specific questions.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99 View Post
    ...My girlfriend is new to mountain biking, but has done road biking in triathlons...
    Uh Oh.

Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Breckenridge? Buffalo Creek? Maybe Fruita but it's not "forest".

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Way too vague. Do your homework and then come back with more specific questions.
    Im sorry. I have looked at the trails list for hours. I don't see anything like I am looking for. I lived in AZ for a year. A lot of their trails were in national forests, weather there were trees in these forests is not the point. It was national land that you could camp just about anywhere on. THis is where several of the mountain bike trails were there, at least the ones I rode. Is this not the case in CO? Should I look somewhere else for this vacation? Thanks.

Bollocks
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Im sorry. I have looked at the trails list for hours. I don't see anything like I am looking for. I lived in AZ for a year. A lot of their trails were in national forests, weather there were trees in these forests is not the point. It was national land that you could camp just about anywhere on. THis is where several of the mountain bike trails were there, at least the ones I rode. Is this not the case in CO? Should I look somewhere else for this vacation? Thanks.
    Montana's nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Buffalo Creek. Over 75 miles of trail in the immediate area, dispersed and free camping along 550 Road and lots of other trails within a hours drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Boy View Post
    thanks! that is a very nice site!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Check out Buffalo Creek. Over 75 miles of trail in the immediate area, dispersed and free camping along 550 Road and lots of other trails within a hours drive.
    thank you. that looks very promising!

Bollocks
    thanks! that is a very nice site!
    You're welcome! Here's the Buffalo Creek trail system mentioned earlier... the trail I linked to is just one popular route.

Buffalo Creek Big Loop - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Castle Rock, CO
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Find a nice spot to camp in Crested Butte, and ride until you can't anymore. Tons of free camping there as well as miles of trails with great views.

mtbr member
    Breckenridge might be a good option for you. Tons of trails from beginner stuff close to town, to epic sections of the Colorado trail. Also, be prepared to get your ass kicked due to the elevation if your not used to it. If you don't have it, get the mtb project app, it shows a map of most all the trails with difficulty ratings to give you a good idea of what's out there.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Find a nice spot to camp in Crested Butte, and ride until you can't anymore. Tons of free camping there as well as miles of trails with great views.
    Seconding this suggestion. Lots of great trails up that way. Try camping off Gothic Rd. past the ski resort (closer to trails like 401) or off the Slate River at O Be Joyful (closer to town). It is high altitude so pace yourself.

Another place you may want to try is Salida/Buena Vista. There is lots of BLM land for camping around there and you also have access to some great 14ers for hiking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Seconding this suggestion. Lots of great trails up that way. Try camping off Gothic Rd. past the ski resort (closer to trails like 401) or off the Slate River at O Be Joyful (closer to town). It is high altitude so pace yourself.

Another place you may want to try is Salida/Buena Vista. There is lots of BLM land for camping around there and you also have access to some great 14ers for hiking.
    I have wanted to go to crested butte for years. I will consider the drive. Since I am coming from mi, I thought there were be some good stuff to do more easterly. most of the pictures I have seen of biking in CO have been from Crested Butte.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I have wanted to go to crested butte for years. I will consider the drive. Since I am coming from mi, I thought there were be some good stuff to do more easterly. most of the pictures I have seen of biking in CO have been from Crested Butte.
    Your g/f will no longer be your g/f if you do this. But yeah, Crested Butte is pretty great.

not actually bad :)
    Aspen.
    Camp off Lincoln Crk Rd.
    Bike Government Trail, or one of the other easier ones.
    Hike Castle Peak.
    Backpack one of the hundreds of close and amazingly beautiful choices.
    You can thank me later.

This is all, of course, depending on what your definition of "fall" is, and how early the snow flies this year.

And FYI - bacon boi is a Michigander as well.
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    <snip>

This is all, of course, depending on what your definition of "fall" is
    Heh - I missed this part. Yeah... MI folks generally consider fall mid-October thru November. So snow could be a problem on this trip. And days are short in the high country this time of year. And nights can be really f***ing cold.

And it'll be worse in Montana.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Front Range trails are pretty steep, due to the fact that the mountains jut up out of nowhere. Buffalo Creek could be a great place to check out. That place is awesome for all skill levels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    another vote for Buff Creek...my wife and I spend a lot of time there during the summer riding and camping.
    Pretty good for all skill levels.