mtbr member
    Aug 2004

USA Pro Race -Flagstaff Finish

Apparently this race is going to finish at the amphitheater. The route is different that the one previously rumored - start in Golden, go north on 93 to Boulder, up Boulder Canyon to Ned, across Peak to Peak then down to Lyons, 36 to Lefthand, detour over Lee Hill, then wind through Boulder and finish on Flagstaff.

Should be pretty cool.

The finish on Flagstaff will be ridiculous. Catch it this year, because once the Open Space wanks get a load of 20,000 people lining the road, it might not happen again.

USA Pro Cycling Challenge's Boulder stage to finish on Flagstaff Mountain - Boulder Daily Camera

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Apparently this race is going to finish at the amphitheater. The route is different that the one previously rumored - start in Golden, go north on 93 to Boulder, up Boulder Canyon to Ned, across Peak to Peak then down to Lyons, 36 to Lefthand, detour over Lee Hill, then wind through Boulder and finish on Flagstaff.

Should be pretty cool.

The finish on Flagstaff will be ridiculous. Catch it this year, because once the Open Space wanks get a load of 20,000 people lining the road, it might not happen again.

USA Pro Cycling Challenge's Boulder stage to finish on Flagstaff Mountain - Boulder Daily Camera
    I'll be in Lyons. A few miles from home, and the race will be passing in front of my favorite bike shop and brewery. It's sure to be the best (only) day of road cycling spectating I've done evar!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    I'll be in Lyons. A few miles from home, and the race will be passing in front of my favorite bike shop and brewery. It's sure to be the best (only) day of road cycling spectating I've done evar!
    I guess that means I will be on 36 and Neva Road without looking at the Course Map.

I already psyched.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking the climb up Lee Hill will be a good place to hang out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a dream. A dream that camera coverage will be nonstop, non-cutting out, exhaustively complete for this entire stage. Every corner from all angles, a fleet of helicopters , a squadron of on-ground and on-motorcycle coverage.

I have a dream...
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Light freak
    Originally posted by xcguy
    I have a dream. A dream that camera coverage will be nonstop, non-cutting out, exhaustively complete for this entire stage. Every corner from all angles, a fleet of helicopters , a squadron of on-ground and on-motorcycle coverage.

I have a dream...
    Be sure to check out the online ShackTracker if they have it again. It had rgreat coverage from the motorcycle camera guys and helicopter views. I would not hold much hope for TV coverage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw that Radio Shack tent down in Civic Center Park last year. A whole bank of monitors set up with a packed house of onlookers.

Just from a layman's point of view with no clue as to the actual technology needed to provide my "dream", I'm thinking that having broadcasts fed from Front Range sites would have a clear shot to antennaes and such down in the Denver area. Rather than a feed from some remote canyon over by Gunnison.

So, maximum bang for the buck as far as success is concerned considering the amount of work needed to actually provide such coverage.

Tossin the salad.
    i'll ride a wheelie for the winner!!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just to inject a little more MTB content into this thread, I think a great strategy for watching the final climb will be to do a nice ride either on the west side of Gross Res or at Walker, and then ride over to the finish from there.

You could even ride at Magnolia, then take Magnolia Road to County Road 68, go down 68, over the ridge to Lakeshore, and then onto Flagstaff Road.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post

I have a dream...
    I share your dream. And I heard last night that the race is going to get double the air time this year (4hrs/ day instead of 2). Also, there is a bunch of un-aired footage from last year's race that will be released in anticipation of the 2012 race.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cool! You had to figure that they'd make it work. I'd love to see them do the whole super flag but can understand the logistics of that being a nightmare. Alp d'heuz is isn't, but it's not too shabby either. Most likely I'll be there, being blown away by the fitness and form of those guys.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    I guess that means I will be on 36 and Neva Road without looking at the Course Map.

I already psyched.
    36 and Neva is South of Left Hand...just sayin'

you might see a bunch of pissed off rednecks driving south afterwards though

Thread Terrorist

I have a dream...
    I spoke to the race director last night about that exact issue. They are planning continuous coverage this stage this year.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    I spoke to the race director last night about that exact issue. They are planning continuous coverage this stage this year.
    Really, they need to treat this as a premier racing event for the entire world. No holding back.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Really, they need to treat this as a premier racing event for the entire world. No holding back.
    That's a great thought, but I'm sure they have a budget that they have to work within. You can't expect a race like the USPCC to have the money to spend on helicopters, cameras, motorcycles, production, etc that the big Euro races have. At least not yet. All that stuff quickly starts to run well into six figures.

If they can keep improving the product every year I think they'll be doing well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    That's a great thought, but I'm sure they have a budget that they have to work within. You can't expect a race like the USPCC to have the money to spend on helicopters, cameras, motorcycles, production, etc that the big Euro races have. At least not yet. All that stuff quickly starts to run well into six figures.

If they can keep improving the product every year I think they'll be doing well.
    As far as helicopters go, the local news stations have their own, right? Get them to cover different segments and pool their coverage. I'll talk to all of them and set this up

mtbr member
    For all the road racing coverage you can shake a stick at. They had great coverage of the race, last year.

I'll be drinking Chianti and watching the Strade Bianche, at 6:00 AM, Saturday.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll talk to all of them and set this up

You do that.

mtbr member
    Very cool, excited to bring my kids to this to cheer on the racers.

lucky enough
    Yes Lee Hill climb would be a good spot to see them suffer for just a bit. Might be some cool shots of them climbing in Boulder Cyn. too. For mtn. bikers, too bad the Chapman Drive link isn't there yet. You could ride up the bike path to watch them in the canyon, then climb up that dirt road to Flagstaff to see the finish. I was going to watch them flash by my hood, but now I figure I'll be on the Flagstaff climb.
    One Boulder city council member was whining about spectators possibly climbing all over Flagstaff on social trails. Another moaning that that is high fire season. Get a grip. The folks down in Golden didn't set fire to the hills last year! And as far as I could tell 99% of the spectators on Lookout rode their bikes up.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

based on Boulder's half-a$$ed commitment to the event, I wouldn't be surprised. can someone tell me what kind of credentials it takes to write an op-ed for the daily camera?
    Here's a few Gems from this author, I assume a quintessential Boulderite.

But the fundamental constraint here is that the Flagstaff Road area is a "zero failure area;" this is not an event where "we'll do it better next time" is acceptable....his race will never happen in Boulder again. And those who pushed it will be held responsible.

However, unlike one council member who thinks that this is no different than mountain top finishes in Europe, the race organizers seem to have correctly perceived that this situation requires much more attention to be paid to not just mitigating the risks, but eliminating them

fire agencies would do well to have people stationed at close intervals with water tanks on their backs, ready to put out anything that starts

Given how spread out the Tour de France has been sometimes, the race organizers might consider a cut-off, so that residents both above and along the course are not overly inconvenienced.
    Does Aspen, a far more internationally recognized and reasonable town than Boulder, say this kind of crap?

Pomerance: The Pro Cycling Challenge -- a challenge indeed - Boulder Daily Camera

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    based on Boulder's half-a$$ed commitment to the event, I wouldn't be surprised. can someone tell me what kind of credentials it takes to write an op-ed for the daily camera?

Pomerance: The Pro Cycling Challenge -- a challenge indeed - Boulder Daily Camera

Pomerance, the self-proclaimed MTBR, has also said this:

"Tuesday's Boulder City Council vote to limit trail building on Anemone Hill,
    to exclude mountain bikes from its north and east sides, .... was exactly
    the right thing to do."

"In spite of how much I like mountain biking, I do not want to see mountain
    bikes allowed in the area west of Broadway/93, south of
    Baseline/Chautauqua and north of Eldorado Springs Drive."

"We need to remember that the City of Boulder has provided more
    opportunities for mountain biking than most places. Boulder has a large
    network of trails to the north, east, and south of town, almost 50 miles in
    total. (and then continues with a rant about Valmont BP)"

Of course his first passion, climbing, never causes any damage, nor
    displaces wildlife, climbers never create illegal trails, nor do they litter or
    deface public property, nor does climbing cost the taxpaying public
    anything since after all, Search & Rescue and EMT's work for free, at least
    they do in the little world of the NIMBY Boulder Carbon Tax Czar Steve P.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    can someone tell me what kind of credentials it takes to write an op-ed for the daily camera?
    He's a former councilman. And I'm glad he's former and not current.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    I've got a little shack up on the Freak2Freak, already told my wife to write down the weekend. Cooler full of beers, lawn chairs, cow bells, and bbq in the pull out. I may hand the racers solo cups full of Dales. Can't wait!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    I've got a little shack up on the Freak2Freak, already told my wife to write down the weekend. Cooler full of beers, lawn chairs, cow bells, and bbq in the pull out. I may hand the racers solo cups full of Dales. Can't wait!
    how much for a burger and cup of Dales? we did costume shenanigans at lookout mtn last year with much success, not going to miss this year either. unless of course teh firemen every 20 ft. prevent too much "fun" up there.

Members who have read this thread: 0