mtbr member

update conditions for Picture Rock from Heil please

going over the hills to grandma's this wknd (well, my kid's gma, my inlaws)....coming from Breckenridge. I am hoping to ride this new connector early Saturday morning. I've been jonesing to ride this trail all fall. Now it looks like a storm is brewing in the south and southwest parts of the state. They don't seem to be calling for much accumulation for the northern front range areas. But it looks like some flurries may fall in the Denver/Boulder area tonight and Friday.

I would MUCH APPRECIATE any trail/weather conditions for the Boulder/Lyons area, esp. those who could post updates tonight through tomorrow night.

I'd just settle for Bettasso, but it's closed to mtb on Saturdays.

mtbr member

anyone?

any accumulation down there?

ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Still bone dry, not a drop of precipitation here in Lyons.

I was just outside and it looks like the clouds have cleared too - I can just see the outline of a snow covered Longs Peak in the dark. You should be good to go - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It kind of sleeted/hailed/snowed for about 20 minutes last night with almost no accumulation. I'm about 1600 feet above Lyons towards Estes. It should melt here in about an hour once the sun rises enough.

ride
    Dry as a bone. We could actually use a little moisture. Here's a shot from yesterday's pre turkey ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    thanks guys. wow that looks delicious. even better than the turkey I ate yest. yeah I'm riding with a bit of moisture or flurries tomorrow. But not if it's an inch or so solid.

keep the updates coming til dark if poss

mtbr member
    I was thinking of parking at Heil, and riding towards Hall, and back to the car at Heil. any suggestions?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    I was thinking of parking at Heil, and riding towards Hall, and back to the car at Heil. any suggestions?

That works. Down a pint of wild turkey on your way.

I just got back from Hall. Dry as I have seen it. There is no moisture other than morning frost on the Front Range.

on your left
    May I suggest, stopping by OB (Oscar Blues), in Lyons for a cold one then riding back, or even better, stopping by OBís for several cold onesí then getting a ride back!

mtbr member
    might be a cold day for a cold one. the whiskey sounds good though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If time or weather is a limiting factor, I would suggest riding from Lyons up the Picture Rock trail, doing a loop at the top of Heil, and then heading back down Picture Rock to Lyons. I believe the 'pint of Wild Turkey' reference above is to the Wild Turkey trail at Heil, which you should do as part of the lollipop loop.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by andy m
    If time or weather is a limiting factor, I would suggest riding from Lyons up the Picture Rock trail, doing a loop at the top of Heil, and then heading back down Picture Rock to Lyons. I believe the 'pint of Wild Turkey' reference above is to the Wild Turkey trail at Heil, which you should do as part of the lollipop loop.

No, I really meant down and pint of W.T. and do what you said.

It makes the blind corners coming back down that much more fun.

ride
    Snow! We'll see what we get, right now it's about an inch. If it quits soon, it'll be perfect for Sunday, but I'm not sure about Sat.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    @ ignazjr...thanks for the constant updates. I was pretty sure there'd be some snow. I'm at about 7,600', about 20min above Boulder, and we had about an inch. Doubtful I'll make the trek towards Lyons today. Might just settle for a short snow mtb ride around here or in Boulder.

ride
    It's wet out. If we see sun today at all, the trail might be good tomorrow. Don't know, though, might be pushing it. I bet Hall will be good, though.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Members who have read this thread: 0