Unreachable and at risk KOMs on the FR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Unreachable and at risk KOMs on the FR

Here are a few KOMs I believe are at risk for getting toppled this season, and a few that will remain safely intact with their current owners. Not really a dick waving thread, since I don't own, or attempt to claim chance at beating any of them.

KOMs that won't be beat in 2014:

#1. suck it up ascent, NTM. Strava Segment | Suck It Up Ascent
    I thought this was unbeatable until some high altitude beast took out the best local riders. nobody will best this KOM without a motorcycle.

#2. wack a mole at White ranch Strava Segment | WR "Whack-a-mole" Rock Garden
    A shout out to the trials riders out there, this segment is a total PITA, especially if you are a road weenie looking for smooth ST. How anyone does this in 31 seconds is a mystery to me. I claim airborne drone.

#3. Walker Finale climb
    Strava Segment | Walker Ranch CCW Finale Climb
    nobody will clean this in under 8 minutes. impossible.

KOMs at risk:

#1. Apex upper decent from Lookout:
    Strava Segment | Apex middle descent (to Hardscrabble)
    with the recent sanitation at Apex, this one is sure to go this year.

#2. Falcon, lot to shelter.
    Strava Segment | Mt Falcon To 1st Shelter
    one of the most ridden FR rides, someone will topple this KOM set last summer, this summer.

# mayhem to cone loop
    Strava Segment | Mahem Gulch Grinder - lot to 1st intersection
    Matt Lyons owns too many KOMs around here. someone needs to take this one please.

any others out there? anyone know of the longest standing KOM on teh FR?

mtbr member
    22 minutes up Falcon? Go **** yourself, that is ridiculous. You are a gorilla to do it without stopping for a rest but to gut check it like that.....

mtbr member
    DigitalEPO.com. That is all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    DigitalEPO.com. That is all.
    Ha. Hilarious. Is there anything the interwebz can't do?

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    22 minutes up Falcon? Go **** yourself, that is ridiculous. You are a gorilla to do it without stopping for a rest but to gut check it like that.....
    No kidding! It certainly won't be threatened by me, that's for sure! On a really good day, I can make it from bottom-lot to top-lot non-stop, but I sure hell don't give a damn about my time! I'm perfectly fine with throwing it in granny and going for no dabs, instead of a PR, every time...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Stand back
    Ugh, I'm in 19th on Suck it up/NTM now? Maybe someday I'll borrow a cross bike and see if I can't break back into the top 10.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Last edited by omoore61; 06-18-2014 at 09:15 PM.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Ugh, I'm in 19th on Suck it up/NTM now? Maybe someday I'll borrow a cross bike and see if I can't break back into the top 10.
    The real question is why anyone would ride this segment more than once MAYBE twice a year, tops??!!
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    The real question is why anyone would ride this segment more than once MAYBE twice a year, tops??!!
    Ha. So true. I question why I decided to take thAt route every time I get 3/4 the way up. There is nothing remotely satisfying about that friggin stairway through helll

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Or ever for that matter.

mtbr member
    Oh you were referring to the climbs/ascents. Let me know when getting KOMs on the down is of interest

Biker? I don't even know her.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The real question is why anyone would ride this EVER??!!
    Fixed that for you.

Edit: Sniped... dammit.

mtbr member

Ken benesh is a cx racer from boulder not a high altitude beast
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Formerly of Kent

Out of Reach: FoCo: Blue Sky South from Tunnel to Marker. If I can get with a minute of it, I'd be happy. I was top 5 when I last checked, but still the better part of two minutes off, over the course of ~11 minutes.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/932362

Achievable: Loveland/Devil's Backbone: From DBB to the Blue Sky Tunnel. Offers a bit of everything. It's not too far out of reach, either.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/4393381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Le Duke; 06-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Death from Below.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    Oh you were referring to the climbs/ascents. Let me know when getting KOMs on the down is of interest

There are descents on the list, too. Time for a trip to the City to show us what's up?
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, we should all be going for "The Full Belcher" KOM. 6.5mph seems very attainable. And with all the bright sun it will get in the next few months it should be easier to find the right line through the baby heads. Someone take that record DOWN!

Paste eater
    Generally don't pay attention much but this one is not totally out of range. Currently in 12th. Now that I know where it actually starts and ends I know I'll give it another go.

Strava Segment | Dakota Descent (tree to zorro)

I don't stand a chance on uphills. In regards to the NTM fire road climb. Why would anyone do that when you can park of easly and ride, um, single track? I think maybe some of your skin suits are squeezing your nuts to tight and clouding your judgment.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    Yeah, we should all be going for "The Full Belcher" KOM. 6.5mph seems very attainable. And with all the bright sun it will get in the next few months it should be easier to find the right line through the baby heads. Someone take that record DOWN!
    It got taken down yesterday by Timmay
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    "The Full Belcher"
    post a link to the segment?
    I can't seem to find this particular route in mah strabas.

(edit: why anyone would go down Belcher confuses me.)

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    This is one of my favorite rides, (love/hate), my best time, ever, over the past 12 years is just a bit over twice that, as I age, I am not getting any faster for sure.

Anyone else remember Rex Patrick doing the climb in 31min with only one leg?
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick. View Post
    <snip>
    Because Strava? Yet another data point that seems to indicate it breeds retahdedness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick. View Post
    Thunder Storms.

Alaskan in exile.

Strava rollercoaster

Strava can completely mess with your emotions!

Feeling good = Setting a PR on the Indian Summer Loop (CW) segment.

Feeling bad = Subsequently noticing a woman had crushed my time by over 4 minutes! (Yeah, yeah, male ego and all that...)

Feeling good again = Wait, the name "Georgia Gould" sounds familiar? Oh yeah, she's an medal-winning olympic athlete! Ok, no shame there...

Feeling bad again = I set mine riding fresh from the TH, she set hers in the middle of a 40+ mile ride. Ugh...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nanook93 View Post
    Strava can completely mess with your emotions!

Feeling good = Setting a PR on the Indian Summer Loop (CW) segment.

Feeling bad = Subsequently noticing a woman had crushed my time by over 4 minutes! (Yeah, yeah, male ego and all that...)

Feeling good again = Wait, the name "Georgia Gould" sounds familiar? Oh yeah, she's an medal-winning olympic athlete! Ok, no shame there...

Feeling bad again = I set mine riding fresh from the TH, she set hers in the middle of a 40+ mile ride. Ugh...
    I noticed that most KOMs are set on long rides. So there's some secret to that. I also test my fitness on certain climbs like Indian Summer and Maxwell and try to push my limits. I like downhill PRs if the trail is clear but I test myself on the ascents.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    Here are a few KOMs I believe are at risk for getting toppled this season, and a few that will remain safely intact with their current owners. Not really a dick waving thread, since I don't own, or attempt to claim chance at beating any of them.

KOMs that won't be beat in 2014:

#1. suck it up ascent, NTM. Strava Segment | Suck It Up Ascent
    I thought this was unbeatable until some high altitude beast took out the best local riders. nobody will best this KOM without a motorcycle.

#2. wack a mole at White ranch Strava Segment | WR "Whack-a-mole" Rock Garden
    A shout out to the trials riders out there, this segment is a total PITA, especially if you are a road weenie looking for smooth ST. How anyone does this in 31 seconds is a mystery to me. I claim airborne drone.

#3. Walker Finale climb
    Strava Segment | Walker Ranch CCW Finale Climb
    nobody will clean this in under 8 minutes. impossible.

KOMs at risk:

#1. Apex upper decent from Lookout:
    Strava Segment | Apex middle descent (to Hardscrabble)
    with the recent sanitation at Apex, this one is sure to go this year.

#2. Falcon, lot to shelter.
    Strava Segment | Mt Falcon To 1st Shelter
    one of the most ridden FR rides, someone will topple this KOM set last summer, this summer.

# mayhem to cone loop
    Strava Segment | Mahem Gulch Grinder - lot to 1st intersection
    Matt Lyons owns too many KOMs around here. someone needs to take this one please.

any others out there? anyone know of the longest standing KOM on teh FR?
    With regard to the Mayhem to Cone...I'm always taking it pretty easy on the first Mayhem ascent because I'm aiming for KOM on the ride/loop as a whole.

There are a bunch that are pretty attainable in the Waterton/Indian Creek/CO Trail Section one area. Also, Buffalo Creek has quite a few that are attainable/easy to take if you pay attention to where they start/end.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    disclaimer: I do use Strava, mainly for the social aspect (most of my race team is on there) but I don't use it for much beyond setting personal goals and tracking progression. I do think it has value for certain subsets of MTB data, like I would set aggressive goals for a Logan Mill or Chapman hillclimb without too much concern as they're not the sorts of trails you're likely to be a menace to someone on (super wide, long sustained climbs where you're going like 8mph max, little to no user conflict). Marshall Mesa/Springbrook though? Not so much. Too many other users and too much potential to be a jerk and a poor advocate for the sport.

idk about anyone else but at least (especially?) on the road I don't give much if any credence to high Strava placings unless they come with legit power and HR data as well, and even then road biking conditions contain so many variables (wind, weather, traffic and so on) that it's difficult to even compare yourself against yourself. Mountain biking around here also contains significant variables like gates, reroutes, user traffic, trail conditions and weather. Users on Strava have actually set up quite a few "post flood" segments for the truly popular ones here in Boulder because the trail conditions changed so drastically in many instances.

It's also way too easy to forget to turn one's Garmin off and set a car KOM (I've done this myself and subsequently edited / removed the bad segments).

Example: I took down a KOM last week while doing a tempo interval workout (meaning: zone 3, aka not even that hard an effort) because I was barely maintaining target wattage in zone whilst completely spun out at 30+mph on flat ground due to a ludicrous tailwind when a stupid thunderstorm rolled through in the midst of my workout. Among the individuals I "beat" on that segment were riders like Mara Abbott and Evelyn Stevens, who if I am perfectly honest, I don't even rate being considered in the same sport as, much less as a "competitor" -- I am a mediocre 46 year old Cat 3 roadie of dubious fitness and they're .001 percentile world class UCI pros at the peak of their game.

And yep, Ken Benesh is a well known elite 'cross racer who is indeed fast but not superhuman. He does well in local competition but is more of a top 20-30 guy at the elite national level. Riders like Allen Krughoff and Danny Summerhill can eat him for lunch and come back for seconds.

and yeah, digitalEPO is a thing. Frankly I am no tech whiz but the file data is contained within a simple open / unencrypted comma delimited text file that, were I so inclined, I could easily "dope" it myself, including the power readings. So there's that.

I know most of this thread is in regards to MTB and the Golden area, but I'm sure many of the same badasses ride down there as do in Boulder - it's important to keep in mind that many of the people you see at the tops of the Strava charts in this region are legit pros in their own right. We live in one of the deepest and most competitive regions in the nation with regards to bike racing, regardless of whether it's dirt or pavement you're talking about.

I've done stuff like go down to Albuquerque for a family vacation and bagged a half dozen KOMs on one pretty casual afternoon ride without even knowing the segments existed until I uploaded the file. And this is partly because I'm female and it's easier to bag high Strava results as a woman regardless of where you ride, and partly because when I look on the full results list there are like maybe eight women total in ABQ who actually ride bikes and also have Strava accounts. I am fairly certain, having talked to quite a few, that most of the true elite/pro riders that either ride here regularly or pass through in competitions like Cyclocross Nationals or the USPro Challenge regard their various Front Range "segment kills" in the same vein. Not only are they not really "going for it" on those segments, it's a good bet they aren't even aware they exist.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Generally don't pay attention much but this one is not totally out of range. Currently in 12th. Now that I know where it actually starts and ends I know I'll give it another go.

I don't stand a chance on uphills. In regards to the NTM fire road climb. Why would anyone do that when you can park of easly and ride, um, single track? I think maybe some of your skin suits are squeezing your nuts to tight and clouding your judgment.
    Or we live on the west side and want to get to Cottonwood Canyon quickly, although the other day I rode the southwest neighborhood access and then hike a biked in order to skip the fireroad. But wait, you actually drive to ride NTM?
    Golden Bike Park

Yay! Bikes !
    I ran the Strabas on my ride up/down Chimney this afternoon.

Relax. Everyone's records are still intact.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    ... while doing a tempo interval workout (meaning: zone 3, aka not even that hard an effort) because I was barely maintaining target wattage in zone whilst completely spun out at 30+mph on flat ground.....
    What strange language is this?
    Trailwrecker at large

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    I see a "whilst" so I'm gonna guess that language is git.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Until beers carried in pack are factored in, these records are useless.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I always win KOM in the bedroom. I'm too fast for you amateurs.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Marshall Mesa/Springbrook though? Not so much. Too many other users and too much potential to be a jerk and a poor advocate for the sport.
    It's doable without being a jerk. I hold a KOM there (I had others but I lost them) but I only attack it when there is NO ONE around and that is at night. During the day, well I'd rather ride elsewhere but if I have to ride it during the day then I forget about any attempt at Strava times.

I like Strava from showing personal progression but I am hating it more due to the cheats and seeing the destruction of single track getting smoothed out due to riders short cutting trails and just that there are too many uber athletes around Boulder. Plus if Strava was less roadie focused that would be nice too...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Unreachable and at risk KOMs on the FR

It's also way too easy to forget to turn one's Garmin off and set a car KOM (I've done this myself and subsequently edited / removed the bad segments).
    I find this hilarious. I'd say that 90% of the road segments I've come across have koms set in a car. It's always 3-4 people at the top within .5 mph of each other who ride 2 hours a month and the pack is 20 mph slower. A guy I work with ran 2mi and left it on for the day averaging 2 miles/minute over 80 miles. Good stuff. Fortunately you can't pull that on single track.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

Or just spend an extra 8 seconds hitting teh booterz
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    It's doable without being a jerk. I hold a KOM there (I had others but I lost them) but I only attack it when there is NO ONE around and that is at night. During the day, well I'd rather ride elsewhere but if I have to ride it during the day then I forget about any attempt at Strava times.

I like Strava from showing personal progression but I am hating it more due to the cheats and seeing the destruction of single track getting smoothed out due to riders short cutting trails and just that there are too many uber athletes around Boulder. Plus if Strava was less roadie focused that would be nice too...
    yea I agree with all of the above. If I had a better set of lights I might ride MM at night since I live right there. Unfortunately bike parts cash is all currently targeted towards getting a new power meter for the cross bike so it'll have to wait.

Rode the newly fixed Heil stuff tonight and I'm torn. On the one hand it's great work and I set a new PR on Wapiti but on the other hand it seems a bit buffed out. Oh well I remember the year it went in - it was 3 ft wide basically machine set with hand grading to do the outslope and you could practically road bike up it (I was part of the trail crew that did the final trail days before Wapiti opened in...01? was it? Jesus I'm old) and within two years it was rocky gonzoballs and ruts and happy chunky funtimes so it's certainly evolved thru the years.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Roadie

friend of Apex
    I'm gonna add Enchanted to the list of unreachable.
    Strava Segment | Enchanted forest descent

4:07, holy carp Obi Wan. Any guesses on who that is? I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    I'm gonna add Enchanted to the list of unreachable.
    Strava Segment | Enchanted forest descent

4:07, holy carp Obi Wan. Any guesses on who that is? I do.
    He is an old school pro mtn biker. Yeah no one is touching that. We've all tried.

I was going for sub 5 minutes today and my derailleur decided to explode.

friend of Apex
    seems he really wanted to beat the Yeti boys, perhaps someone that they had to let go over some politics...

mtbr member
    seems he really wanted to beat the Yeti boys, perhaps someone that they had to let go over some politics...
    Nope but it is true that we all want to beat the Yeti boys, but they know that and seem to enjoy it. Tim will take a KOM and Chris goes out almost immediately to take it back.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    I see Swift isn't too far off of that time. Let that fellas kid grow up a bit and I bet The Bearded Swift could take it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    I see Swift isn't too far off of that time. Let that fellas kid grow up a bit and I bet The Bearded Swift could take it.
    Clips the beard in the summer so by default he is slower.

Tim just had a kid as well. #fastdads

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Clips the beard in the summer so by default he is slower.

Tim just had a kid as well. #fastdads
    I bet Swift set his PR on that segment on his Crossbike in Spandex while doing a science experiment to show his class. Both are scary thoughts to me...being I like my baggies and 34 lb beast. The science part is cool though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    GPS data being so unreliable and all... is any of this info worth a $hit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Good point. Considering the poor GPS connection on Enchanted, no, that particular segment is highly suspect. Others may not be so bad.

Zoom in on some Strava segments sometime and look to see if it actually follows the trail. If it was generated from a phone they are very zig zag and generally poor. If they came from a Garmin they are generally better.

That is why it is good fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously. That is another reason why racing is the "true" test of who is faster. Unfortunately you don't get a mulligan when you are having a bad day.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    It's close enough for the fun of it. Just think of it as another social media outlet. It's fun to see what your friends rode, comment on it and such. It may be off by a few seconds here and there but then again we're not getting paid to use it so who cares. You should join Captain Bacon.

friend of Apex
    It's close enough for the fun of it. Just think of it as another social media outlet. It's fun to see what your friends rode, comment on it and such. It may be off by a few seconds here and there but then again we're not getting paid to use it so who cares. You should join Captain Bacon.
    agreed on your points, subjective > objective (i.e. connect w instagram).
    and he did join, we are just waiting for him to post his first ride...

Paste eater
    That's why I use it. My bike friends are all over the country. Pretty rare I'm actually aware that i'm on a segment. Even more rare that I actually care.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    its all mine you clowns!!!! I'll take the kom in february on a phat bike pulling a kid in a trailer

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Roadie
    Athlete - with some expensive toys.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    agreed on your points, subjective > objective (i.e. connect w instagram).
    and he did join, we are just waiting for him to post his first ride...
    I did?

WTF...

I should pay more attention to things.

Chronic 1st-timer
    ^
    All your KOM are belong to SS!
    Trailwrecker at large

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    ^
    All your KOM are belong to SS!
    You know... being that these GPS files are basically text files... this gives me an idea.

Chairman of the Beard
    You know... being that these GPS files are basically text files... this gives me an idea.
    DigitalEPO.com was already mentioned.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    DigitalEPO.com was already mentioned.
    LOL at that website. Good stuff.

I was just going to use vi.