Post pix here as proof.

I dare you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Who's riding to work tomorrow?

Post pix here as proof.

I dare you.
    I haven't driven to class this year yet, don't plan to start tomorrow. I don't need to prove anything...

trail waggler

You're trouble...

Mister'.

Now, if I had a Turner...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

crashes in parkinglot
    Road home from work this evening, twasn't bad, maybe 3 miles the route I took home. I love my cross bike.
    Down is the new up.

trail waggler

But...

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    I love my cross bike.
    How do you 'dress' to ride that thing?

....Uhh....never mind....
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    How do you 'dress' to ride that thing?

....Uhh....never mind....
    I wanna see those pix fo shure!

Old, stale, negative
    Loading this thing up as we speak and I was going to bring a camera so I should have something by mid afternoon tomorrow. I can't wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I'm not too hungover there's even going to be a little single track on the commute...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i don't have a car so i always ride to school no matter what the weather. i rode home tonight around 6:30 in jeans, a wool pendleton (these things are incredible) and leather gloves. commuting in the snow is really fun so i look forward to getting on my bike tomorrow morning.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ckranak
    .... commuting in the snow is really fun so i look forward to getting on my bike tomorrow morning.
    Exactly.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    If I'm not too hungover there's even going to be a little single track on the commute...

Set the bar high! I know you are game.

skillz to pay billz
    I could barely get home tonight with 4wd. might have to work from home tomorrow.

Card Carrying Member
    pshhh, work is for suckers... I'm riding in the morning.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I could barely get home tonight with 4wd. might have to work from home tomorrow.
    It took me approx. 45 minutes to get from Boulder to Golden in my RWD truck.
    I left for work today in sandles and had to walk from the apt. parking lot about 100 yards in Chacos. Tomorrow will be different.

mtbr member

curse this frozen water

just shoveled the drive/walks (midnight) and we've got a good 6" of powder on the ground in golden and still coming down steadily.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is what it looked like yesterday morning before the storm:
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Card Carrying Member
    7:45ish at Hall if anyone is interested in getting crippled and frozen before work.

Old, stale, negative
    I made it with few problems. The roads were hard on the skinny tire bike because the plows leave ice sheets and funky grooves. Coalton trail was a pleasure with freshies all the way. I'll post the pics I took after the journey home. Good luck out there.

Heathen
    I walk to work every morning. Takes about 10 steps.

crashes in parkinglot
    sweet commute today, up the the water tower east of 75th street, first tracks all the way down to valmont. Turned around. Went through the golf corse and bike paths past the twin lakes area to 63rd and Lookout. ~12 miles, most of it was "single path", maybe pics later tonight.
    Down is the new up.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    7:45ish at Hall if anyone is interested in getting crippled and frozen before work.
    give us a ride report when you get back.
    I'm here for the downhill

Living the High Life
    Here ya go!

Rolling
    Ok, since I threw the dare out, I rode in too.

A Pugsley was here--in fact there were two sets of tracks, one going each way. Round trip perhaps.

I could barely cross this bridge. I had to use the rail on the corners and slide down the other side with a foot on the ice.

Interesting street art.

mtbr member
    I rode in.. I will post pics when I get home grab my camera!

Old, stale, negative
    Warmed up quite a bit and made for an easier ride home. Couple of pics to back up the insanity. The bridge pics are both ways to and from. The last one is the car I would have driven. More dares thrown out there, that was fun.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Question for the truly hard core winter commuters...

How do you all deal with the fear of being hit by a sliding car? I'm terrified by the idea.

crashes in parkinglot
    ride the bike paths as much as possible. Ride early enough so that very few people are on the road.

My biggest concern when riding no matter what the weather is visibility. I try to make sure that I'm seen, making eye contact is important, shining a bright light at the car also helps.
    Down is the new up.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    A Pugsley was here--in fact there were two sets of tracks, one going each way. Round trip perhaps.
    If it's the same Pugs I saw, it was ridden by a woman. But it could have been a nancy-boy, though.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Old, stale, negative
    Ditto what ETR said. Be bright, go early, and most of my ride is on the Coal Creek Trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Question for the truly hard core winter commuters...

How do you all deal with the fear of being hit by a sliding car? I'm terrified by the idea.

I ride mostly MUPs, I deal very little with cars on the road. The short distance I do ride on road is all in a neighborhood that is almost never driven on!

what nice teeth you have
    Anyone have tips on commuting from longmont to boulder and back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I set that meter (if it was near Dowdy Draw/Springbrook) and just knew it would not last but a day.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    This is what it looked like yesterday morning before the storm:

feel the Force
    I got my commute on today as well. This morning was fun, they plow the path down to the ice. Coming home was much easier, all that ice had melted in the day's sun. Road bike, no knobbies, and some clip on fenders is all.
    Tips for coming from Longmont? I might hazard a guess that the diagonal might actually be better on days like today. The much wider shoulders might be kinder to cyclists? Just a guess.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

crashes in parkinglot
    Pic #2 embers of Boulder (not sure if you can see the lights in the web version)
    Pic #3 Where their trail ends and my begins.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I cheated and got a ride in the car with the wife this morning, she works part time so had the bike in the back and rode home. No pictures. Roads weren't very bad but just put the fenders on the bike for the winter. Tomorrow I won't cheat.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    I walk to work every morning. Takes about 10 steps.
    Lucky bastage!
    I gotta walk the whole way to the basement.
    Trailwrecker at large

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    The last one is the car I would have driven. More dares thrown out there, that was fun.
    I used to live there!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah hell i didn't catch one rider this morning, (meaning they were all passing traffic) the traffic on 119 gets pretty stupid when it snows, or just generally any given day, if i didn't need a car at work, i would def be riding..
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i am very cautious of cars. my commute is pretty short and most consists of narrow streets with stupid rich kids in their fancy cars driving like idiots (the hill in boulder). i am pretty cautious and always try to make eye contact with drivers. so far, so good.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

Living the High Life
    I take the bike path when I can or side walks when available (its early so usually no one is walking). I do ride down the 285 access road for a while. I laugh at the people bumper to bumper on 285

crashes in parkinglot
    Thick wool socks, and fishnets. Pretty much all you need. Ski gloves if it gets really nippy.
    Down is the new up.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I used to live there!
    Yeah? Westfield is great but with 2 big dogs and a 5 year old the wife ain't having it for much longer. I'm loooking to stay close though, I love this area. Makes commuting the outskirts of Lafayette pretty easy.

My cup runneth over
    Kinda curious with the bike commuters making eye contact with drivers. Do you try not to hold the eye contact too long? Given the theory that people head in the direction they are looking this could be a BAD thing (can you see the kid's lawyer in court: 'the deceased insisted on holding eye contact with my client and my client had no choice but to head towards him and run him over'). I would assume you just want to be sure they see you so you don't have to take evasive action. I probably shouldn't think out loud and put these thoughts into a thread...

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Kinda curious with the bike commuters making eye contact with drivers. Do you try not to hold the eye contact too long? Given the theory that people head in the direction they are looking this could be a BAD thing (can you see the kid's lawyer in court: 'the deceased insisted on holding eye contact with my client and my client had no choice but to head towards him and run him over'). I would assume you just want to be sure they see you so you don't have to take evasive action. I probably shouldn't think out loud and put these thoughts into a thread...
    Looking someone in the eye isn't going to prevent them from spinning 360s on a road covered in 2 inches of compacted snow. I can do an all-path commute but it doubles the distance to about 30 miles.

Oh well.

Awesomist™
    Forced commute this morning: I felt it best to leave my truck parked safely at Ironworks last night, and rode to retrieve it on the way to work this morning. I'll tell you one thing, I love my roadie bike, but a burlier "winter commuter" would have been nice to have! Something like a CX bike with fenders or a hardtail MTB with skinnier tyres...

Looking someone in the eye isn't going to prevent them from spinning 360s on a road covered in 2 inches of compacted snow. I can do an all-path commute but it doubles the distance to about 30 miles.

Oh well.
    It's all about knowing your route... finding the best, fastest, and least traffic'ed way to where you're going. I use a combination of bike paths, neighborhood streets, and lesser used main roads. This morning was a little hairball though, wound up on Kipling in traffic - hauling @ss so as not to get hit. Nerve racking though with all the snow it didn't leave much of a shoulder, but at least the road was bone dry so no spinning cars!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Old, stale, negative
    It's all about knowing your route... finding the best, fastest, and least traffic'ed way to where you're going.

That's put pretty well even with the interesting words. Let's MMADitup soon.

crashes in parkinglot
    I haven't ever heard of a car spinning out and taking down a biker, but it's likely that I'm out of the loop. I hear more about either a biker acting like an idot and getting hit, or a driver not seeing a biker and then hitting them.

Bike safe, don't be in a rush. Being late is always better than being a hood orniment.
    Down is the new up.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Yeah? Westfield is great but with 2 big dogs and a 5 year old the wife ain't having it for much longer. I'm loooking to stay close though, I love this area. Makes commuting the outskirts of Lafayette pretty easy.
    I lived in one of the 1 bedroom no garage units for a year. An apartment, really. Now, I'm up on Owl Drive near the rec center - same units with a basement, and it's still too small for the family...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I don't work... can I post a picture of the kitchen table with my breakfast on it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I don't work... can I post a picture of the kitchen table with my breakfast on it?
    only if you ride your bike in the house from bedroom to said kitchen table..
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market

I want to see that video...

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market
    He forgot to mention, he doesn't RIDE either...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

My cup runneth over

Oh well.
    True, there's no help for when someone starts spinning... (although you could make eye contact once on every revolution - I really should let this one go! )

mtbr member

Interesting street art.

Where was this at?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Where was this at?

The wall by the bridge crossing foothill pkwy just South of Colorado. The west side of the road.

This is right next to it. I guess same artist known as "b."

mtbr member
    Not quite Tuesday. My Saturday night commute 1:30am.

Members who have read this thread: 0