mtbr member

Trusted Subaru Mechanic on the Front Range?

Looking for a shop to change the plugs on my Outback. Dealer wants $270 to change 4 plugs. Ridiculous. Car still under warranty so I'd prefer not to do it myself although I will if it comes down to it. Located in Littleton so some place nearby would be best.

Keller Bros?
    AutoTek?
    Midas?
    Bob's Shade Tree?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I used to change my own plugs. They were easy to get to, just a straight shot. Then with newer cars they got harder and harder to get to. Finally I just could not break one loose and thought "if I put even more torque on this sum***** the top is going to break off and I'll be totally hosed".

So I can understand why you don't want to change them out your own self but finding a cheaper alternative is the way to go.

The plugs on my current Honda are good for 100k and I've only got 65k on it so a changeout is far into the future. Good luck in your search. Call around to indepedent shops. Check out their rep on Yelp.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I used to change my own plugs. They were easy to get to, just a straight shot. Then with newer cars they got harder and harder to get to. Finally I just could not break one loose and thought "if I put even more torque on this sum***** the top is going to break off and I'll be totally hosed".

So I can understand why you don't want to change them out your own self but finding a cheaper alternative is the way to go.

Yeah that is my thought as well. Warranty doesn't mean anything when I am the hamfisted moron who broke the plug off in the engine.

holding back the darkness
    You could always give it a try yourself and just take it easy on the plugs... They're pretty easy to get to on those motors, Subies are pretty great motors from an ease of maintenance perspective. If you're totally uncomfortable with it I've used Super Rupair in Boulder with good results for the small projects I've sent their way.
    **** censorship

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Autotek has been pretty honest and good to us. We don't have Subies, though...

mtbr member
    Metro-Suburban Auto, Lakewood. They are at Colfax and Pierce. 303-238-8361. They know Subarus, prices are reasonable, stand behind their work and never push you to do more than you need. I trust them completely.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    ......... We don't have Subies, though...
    And you call yourself a Coloradan?

mtbr member
    The plugs shouldn't be that hard to get out? Unless some gorillia changed your plugs previously and ignored the factory recommended torque spec?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver View Post
    You could always give it a try yourself and just take it easy on the plugs... They're pretty easy to get to on those motors, Subies are pretty great motors from an ease of maintenance perspective. If you're totally uncomfortable with it I've used Super Rupair in Boulder with good results for the small projects I've sent their way.
    They aren't bad on SOHC motors but the DOHC motors are much more difficult.

I'd say do it yourself if you have a SOHC, but get a pro if you have a DOHC and aren't very mechanically inclined and you don't own extensions, wobbles and u-joints for a 3/8 ratchet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    The plugs shouldn't be that hard to get out? Unless some gorillia changed your plugs previously and ignored the factory recommended torque spec?
    I don't know about Subarus but I found I kept having to use more amd more convoluted angles and extensions to get to the plugs. It went from one spark plug socket straight down onto the plug (1987 Toyota truck with a 22RE motor) to having to use (what's the word?) angle thingies where I never knew if in fact I was trying to unscrew the plug straight out or maybe putting damaging side pressure on it. You know what I mean? And if the plug just didn't come out easily, second guessing myself as to how I'm really stressing the plug. Wasn't like using a torque wrench on the lug nuts when I change out my wheels.

Then, if I did get them all out, wondering if I'm gunking up the electrodes upon re-entry at best or also knocking gunk down inside the hole (seeing as most of them you're flying blind trying to find the proper spot to attempt re-entry---does that sound familiar, like a first date maybe).

Finally I just said, ya know, a mechanic does this all day and has the correct fittings for his sockets and I'm not and I don't.
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Diggity Dog
    Mobile Mechanics in Golden and Strictly Automotive around 6th and Kalamath in Denver. Have used both and would trust them.

mtbr member
    I don't know about Subarus but I found I kept having to use more amd more convoluted angles and extensions to get to the plugs. It went from one spark plug socket straight down onto the plug (1987 Toyota truck with a 22RE motor) to having to use (what's the word?) angle thingies where I never knew if in fact I was trying to unscrew the plug straight out or maybe putting damaging side pressure on it. You know what I mean? And if the plug just didn't come out easily, second guessing myself as to how I'm really stressing the plug. Wasn't like using a torque wrench on the lug nuts when I change out my wheels.

Then, if I did get them all out, wondering if I'm gunking up the electrodes upon re-entry at best or also knocking gunk down inside the hole (seeing as most of them you're flying blind trying to find the proper spot to attempt re-entry---does that sound familiar, like a first date maybe).

Finally I just said, ya know, a mechanic does this all day and has the correct fittings for his sockets and I'm not and I don't.
    I guess if you have the money why not. I just hate seeing people pay through the nose for something that takes maybe 20 minutes and a few bucks in plugs. A bendy and a few extensions get most plugs out of an engine.

An exception would be v6's crammed into small cars, like a GM F body or something (try changing the rear bank of plugs on one of those, lol)

Then again I've been working on cars for years and have done most everything from motor swaps to routine maintenance, so something like plugs is something I've never had issue with, but for some who are just starting out, i could see how things could look daunting, especially going from an older conventional engine layout (22RE for example) to an EJ series flat 4.

I've never busted a plug/wrecked the threading on a cylinder head? You can usually crank on em pretty good, and usually have to, to bust em free, but I know sometimes when you really got to crank on things, it can be a bit scary.
    -Eric

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Does anybody have experience with Roos Only in Denver? I'd like to find a trust worthy Subie mechanic in Denver for the stuff that I don't want to do. If I lived in Boulder, I would go to Super Rupair.

And, for spark plugs, +1 for Dave. It's easy on the SOHC engines, but not so on the DOHC.

..ouch
    Subarus have plugs? I thought you just rewound the rubber band.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Subarus have plugs? I thought you just rewound the rubber band.

Rubber band isn't due for rewinding till 90K

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 for Mobile Mechanics and Buddy. They do a great job and know their stuff.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Does anybody have experience with Roos Only in Denver? I'd like to find a trust worthy Subie mechanic in Denver for the stuff that I don't want to do. If I lived in Boulder, I would go to Super Rupair.

And, for spark plugs, +1 for Dave. It's easy on the SOHC engines, but not so on the DOHC.

I've been to them 3 times: timing belt, CV axle, and radiator. No complaints. Price seemed very reasonable.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Does anybody have experience with Roos Only in Denver?
    Roos =

Another vote for Buddy @ Mobile.
    Trailwrecker at large

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Roos =
    Really? at least when you jumpstart a subaru you only have to pop the hood
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Roos =
    Care to elaborate on that?

mtbr member
    I can't recommend mobile mechanics enough. Buddy is the biggest straight shooter I've ever come across in a mechanic. I almost didn't buy a non-suby cause I didn't want to loose my mechanic.

Stand back
    Both Super Rupair in Boulder and Suba Performance in Denver are decent, but then I don't pay to have stuff done to my cars very often. I've changed plugs on both the dohc (my wrx) and sohc (wife's outback), and don't remember my car being that much worse.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Mobile Mechanics is this place, right?

The Mobile Mechanic of Denver

mtbr member
    Mobile Mechanics is this place, right?

The Mobile Mechanic of Denver
    No, wrong one. Try this. Highly recommended too!

Mobile Mechanics in Golden, CO | 15810 W Colfax Ave, Golden, CO

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Dude....Spark plugs are steel and porcelain, the threads and the part your socket goes on are one piece of steel, it wont break off. Put the right size socket on the sum***** and smack it counter clockwise, do it for the cost of plugs and buy some bike bling with the money u saved!!

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Dude....Spark plugs are steel and porcelain, the threads and the part your socket goes on are one piece of steel, it wont break off. Put the right size socket on the sum***** and smack it counter clockwise, do it for the cost of plugs and buy some bike bling with the money u saved!!
    I wouldn't use that theory on all modern cars. There are a number of plugs that have a crimped on lower shaft that can accumulate hard buildup and will sheer off and drop into the cylinder if you try to force a stuck plug out. Getting an old set of those out can take hours of quarter-turns alternated with shots of PB Blaster or Seafoam.

mtbr member
    Your car's still under warranty and you're needing to change the plugs?? Why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    THAT is an excellent question. Maybe he bought a 200,000 mi extended warranty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    Warranty does not cover common wear items like plugs, cap/rotor, tires, brakes, clutches ect.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    You make it sound like it's just a straight shot, like taking lug nuts off a wheel. Last time I tried doing my own plugs I had a universal joint on the plug socket to begin with, then an extension on that. There was no smacking counterclockwise but there was a lot of bizarre torqueing hoping I was doing it right.

mtbr member
    Warranty does not cover common wear items like plugs, cap/rotor, tires, brakes, clutches ect.
    You missed the point. It's not that the warranty should cover the plug replacement, but rather, why do the plugs need replacing? The assumption is that the car must be relatively low mileage (especially by Subie standards) if it's still under warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    You missed the point. It's not that the warranty should cover the plug replacement, but rather, why do the plugs need replacing? The assumption is that the car must be relatively low mileage (especially by Subie standards) if it's still under warranty.
    Subaru plugs get replaced at 30K according to manual. And as mentioned above they are not covered under warranty. Same with belts, brake pads, and other wear items.Yes I think it is odd. Yes I have done plugs before. With my old Land Cruiser I could climb inside the freaking engine compartment to do it but not a whole lot of room in the Outback.

mtbr member
    Super Rupair, they've treated us well.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I changed mine at 50k and 2 were worn. Not sure why but Subie recommends replacement at 30k, even with platinum plugs.

Anyway, for anyone that likes to do this themselves, here are some good instructions I used to help make it a painless replacement.

legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-spark-plug-tutorial-117769.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger View Post
    Subaru plugs get replaced at 30K according to manual. And as mentioned above they are not covered under warranty. Same with belts, brake pads, and other wear items.Yes I think it is odd. Yes I have done plugs before. With my old Land Cruiser I could climb inside the freaking engine compartment to do it but not a whole lot of room in the Outback.
    That's crazy. My Honda says "replace at 100k".

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Vote eleventy-billion for Buddy at Mobile Mechanics.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Both Super Rupair in Boulder and Suba Performance in Denver are decent, but then I don't pay to have stuff done to my cars very often. I've changed plugs on both the dohc (my wrx) and sohc (wife's outback), and don't remember my car being that much worse.
    Pre '08 Imprezas aren't as bad as Legacys... It's the dohc Legacys that are the worst, and it's really not that bad if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have the tools for it.

Plugs may be a PITA on some subies, but we win when it comes time to change the timing belt, it's not as bad on subies as a lot of others with a transverse engine layout and the belt jammed up against the side of the engine compartment.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That's crazy. My Honda says "replace at 100k".
    Not crazy, just different.

The 100k mile spark plugs are the platinum tipped variety, whereas Subaru seems to spec the cheaper non-platinum tipped standard plugs that need replacing more often. I've replaced the plugs a couple times so far on my Impreza, and it calls for the basic, cheap units.

For my car, it's easy and cheap, so it's really a big deal at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not crazy, just different.

The 100k mile spark plugs are the platinum tipped variety, whereas Subaru seems to spec the cheaper non-platinum tipped standard plugs that need replacing more often. I've replaced the plugs a couple times so far on my Impreza, and it calls for the basic, cheap units.

For my car, it's easy and cheap, so it's really a big deal at all.
    Crazy that Subaru is that cheap. Back when my changing plugs was easy it was no big deal either.

And on another note: when I went to Springbrook a few days ago I'd forgotten how Eldorado Springs Blvd. was Subie city. 3 of 4 cars I encountered in either direction were Subarus. And they were all going 10 mph under the speed limit. What's up with that?

..ouch
    And they were all going 10 mph under the speed limit. What's up with that?
    I've come to a firm belief that Subie speedometers are all calibrated 10-15mph fast.. It's the only reason I can figure that 99.9% of them would drive a great handling car so friggin slow.. everywhere.. always.

mtbr member
    Used to live in Boulder and used Super Rupair. Lived in Denver and used Roos Only. They were okay and typically well priced. Moved to golden and would never take my car anywhere else other than Buddy at Mobile Mechanics. Guy is amazing. I have more good stories about him than any mechanic I've ever known. He has saved me thousands with a phone call. Straight shooter, always looking out for the customer... Great guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    +1 for Mobile Mechanics and Buddy. They do a great job and know their stuff.
    Make sure you get Buddy's shop - there is some serious misinformation out there on the search engines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looking for a shop to change the plugs on my Outback. Dealer wants $270 to change 4 plugs. Ridiculous. Car still under warranty so I'd prefer not to do it myself although I will if it comes down to it. Located in Littleton so some place nearby would be best.

Keller Bros?
    AutoTek?
    Midas?
    Bob's Shade Tree?
    Anyone who drives a Subaru deserves to need a mechanic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Roos Only

My buddy is a mechanic and he raved about Roos Only. He would highly recommend the place.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    No, wrong one. Try this. Highly recommended too!

Mobile Mechanics in Golden, CO | 15810 W Colfax Ave, Golden, CO
    Write address, wrong phone number

Correct one is 303-279-9433

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Pre '08 Imprezas aren't as bad as Legacys... It's the dohc Legacys that are the worst, and it's really not that bad if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have the tools for it.

Plugs may be a PITA on some subies, but we win when it comes time to change the timing belt, it's not as bad on subies as a lot of others with a transverse engine layout and the belt jammed up against the side of the engine compartment.
    Subies also win on lots of other stuff. You can yank a motor on a scoobie in under 5 hours, and that's while drinking some beers and BS'ing with friends. If you were committed and know scoobies better than I, I'm sure it's a 2-3 hour affair.

Accessories are also all easy to grab at. Altranator, ps, AC ect. Most FWD transverse layouts suck ass for things like t-belts, water pumps, accessories ect.

The EJ is also a really soild ass motor that if even weakly cared for can last over 200k with ease.

If I wasn't so against the bandwagon/against the general population of subaru impreza owners who tend to be complete tools in most (But not all) cases,
    I might own one.

Hey, I can admit a great car when I see/drive one, but I just hate the idiots who sit there and claim that on the 7th day, god created the subaru WRX, lol
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buddy at Mobile Mechanics is the best, and the most honest/reasonably-priced. Been taking my Forester to him for its major maintenance. Nothing has gone wrong in 92K but I do take it in for to get belts, trans fluids, brakes, etc. done. I would definitely rely on his good work more than any dealer here.

Oh, So Interesting!

Hey, I can admit a great car when I see/drive one, but I just hate the idiots who sit there and claim that on the 7th day, god created the subaru WRX, lol
    Yes, it's actually very similar to the '92 AWD Eagle Talon I owned, I bought one new and have owned a few of them. I like the Impreza because it's simple and easy to work on compared to a lot of modern cars. Also, modern safety technology, good gas mileage (I avg 27 mpg) and the 2.5 L turbo is a very good motor. There are nicer cars, but the value for money on the WRX is good. If I had a ton of disposable income I'd consider other options... I paid under $25k for my '10 WRX brand new 2.5 years ago.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frntrngcactus View Post
    My buddy is a mechanic and he raved about Roos Only. He would highly recommend the place.
    Baki at Roos Only has done good work on my '02. Recommended without reservations.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's actually very similar to the '92 AWD Eagle Talon I owned, I bought one new and have owned a few of them. I like the Impreza because it's simple and easy to work on compared to a lot of modern cars. Also, modern safety technology, good gas mileage (I avg 27 mpg) and the 2.5 L turbo is a very good motor. There are nicer cars, but the value for money on the WRX is good. If I had a ton of disposable income I'd consider other options... I paid under $25k for my '10 WRX brand new 2.5 years ago.
    I'm all about simple and fixing it yourself. I also hate a lot of the modern electronic driver "aids" that come in cars that now you can't even turn off.

I've been driving cars without ABS, power steering, stabilty control, traction control ect. for as long as I've been driving and never had a problem, even in emergency. The key is knowing how to actually drive imho.

Ok, let's overlook the fact that I can't afford anything newer than a mid 90's car anyway, but even if I could, I probably wouldn't.

I really like the last gen Leggy GT tho. If I were to get a scoobie, that would be top on my list. Really slick cars. It's like an Audi for half the price and half the headache.

I just don't know if I'll ever own a scoob, I have an addiction to old Volvo's that's worse than Crystal Meth...
    -Eric

Oh, So Interesting!
    I hated abs until I got my '10 wrx, it has the 1st abs system I've used that really works well. 60-0 in 107 ft... I had an '06 non-turbo impreza and the abs sucked. Must be Toyota stepping up with their tech.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the ability to add about 70 hp while keeping warranty, just by changing out the intake, exhaust and tuning the computer. That gets 0-60 times down to the low 4 second range for an additional ~$2.5k and makes the wrx faster than most cars out there regardless of price.

mtbr member
    My last go fast car just broke all the damn time, shoot, all my go fast cars broke all the time, but then again I'm hard on equipment. I beat my cars like they owe me money!!

Scoobs are good at reliable power from what I've seen. Something most cars can't do. Only weak point on impreza's is the tranny. If I were to buy one I'd get the STI and not muck around with the standard gearbox, at least that 6spd is stronger.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Summit Auto in Aurora. It's a little bit of a drive, but they're worth it... and right off the Sand Creek Open Space so it's easy to ride your bike home. Anyway, they're Suby only and they're good and cheap. God bless the Russians.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Stand back
    My last go fast car just broke all the damn time, shoot, all my go fast cars broke all the time, but then again I'm hard on equipment. I beat my cars like they owe me money!!

Scoobs are good at reliable power from what I've seen. Something most cars can't do. Only weak point on impreza's is the tranny. If I were to buy one I'd get the STI and not muck around with the standard gearbox, at least that 6spd is stronger.
    I must be nicer to my car - 135k on the original tranny and clutch (~330hp/ 390lb-ft at the crank), no problems so far. I would like to do a 6 spd swap, but can't justify the cost.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7 View Post
    Summit Auto in Aurora. It's a little bit of a drive, but they're worth it... and right off the Sand Creek Open Space so it's easy to ride your bike home. Anyway, they're Suby only and they're good and cheap. God bless the Russians.
    Yup - these guys are good too. Buddy doesn't do the "Dreaded 2.5l Head Gasket Failure" repairs... but farms those out to Summit. $1500 for both gaskets, all new seals, and clutch/pressure/throwout when you *do* need it done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Keller Bros?
    AutoTek?
    Midas?
    Bob's Shade Tree?
    Mobile Mechanics in Golden is definitely one of the best. He has saved me a lot of $$$ and does great work. In fact I will always have one subaru just so he can be my mechanic!!!

mtbr member
    We recently picked up a 2010 outback second hand (replaced our 1998). Brought it to Buddy to get a full checkup just to be sure it was in good shape. He checked the whole car out, took it for a drive, pulled a plug to inspect, gave me a bunch of tips on this generation, and had my car for a day- and did it for free. We've brought our Subis to him for years and I can't tell you how many times he's saved us LOTS of money.

I told him about this thread, too. He was very humbled by it.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I must be nicer to my car - 135k on the original tranny and clutch (~330hp/ 390lb-ft at the crank), no problems so far. I would like to do a 6 spd swap, but can't justify the cost.
    Lol, all my cars were way older. My 850R (most go-fasty) sent a piston through the block and hood @ 202k. That car was pushing 326hp and 358 ft.lbs of torque. She was a monster, and curse FWD for making it the torque steering champion of the world It was fun while it lasted. Sold the car to some kid for wayyy too cheap because I was done sinking money into that pit.

My old CRX race car threw a rear main seal and rings about the same time @ 386k, then I junked it.
    -Eric

Oh, So Interesting!

Yes, kids launching their cars then hammering the 1-2 shift. I think that's the main issue with wrx trannys.

If I had a bunch of cash I'd swap in the 6 speed form a Legacy GT, they are geared a bit higher than the Sti 6 speed.

The Sti is nice but since '09 it's hard to justify the extra $10k now that the WRX has the same turbo and they accelerate about the same. Front and rear lsd + computer controlled center diff is nice, so are the Brembo brakes, but I'm just driving the car on the road and would rarely notice the difference. That goes for many of the upgrades the Sti has... I'd rather have the +70 hp from intake/exhaust/tuning, a decent stereo and another $6-7k in my pocket

mtbr member
    Yes, kids launching their cars then hammering the 1-2 shift. I think that's the main issue with wrx trannys.

If I had a bunch of cash I'd swap in the 6 speed form a Legacy GT, they are geared a bit higher than the Sti 6 speed.

The Sti is nice but since '09 it's hard to justify the extra $10k now that the WRX has the same turbo and they accelerate about the same. Front and rear lsd + computer controlled center diff is nice, so are the Brembo brakes, but I'm just driving the car on the road and would rarely notice the difference. That goes for many of the upgrades the Sti has... I'd rather have the +70 hp from intake/exhaust/tuning, a decent stereo and another $6-7k in my pocket
    Lol. thats probably part of the issue. And I guess I agree, but at the same time, I do some racing from time to time, and I would not mind paying extra for the toys.
    -Eric

BLKSS29RGD
    Forington Auto near Federal and Evans. Talk to Don. Tell him Leo sent you.

I'd trust him with all I own and my kids, let alone my car.

Members who have read this thread: 0