mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Trails in colorado springs

Hey all I'm a resident Oregonian and I'm going to be in Colorado Springs to go to Barnett's Bicyle institute and was wondering what kind of riding you guys got there. I'll be there in about a week how are the trail conditions right now? Are there any rides right from town? I won't have a car while I'm there. A buddy of mine just got back from Durango and said that all the good trails were covered in snow. Is this going to be the case here? Might I be better suited bringing the road bike? Any input would be very helpful.
    what the fu#k is the internet?

Inflexable...
    Unless you are riding in the upper mountains almost all of the trails are primo right now! Depending on where you are staying in COS makes little difference if you are willing to ride to get to trails. Palmer Park is well worth the time. Give more specifics on where you are staying and someone can let you know about the trails nearby...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

dwj
    mtbr member
    my wife teaches at the bbi. you can ride right from the bbi to all the trails in the canon. it takes about 20min. of uphill on the road to get to the good stuff and another 20-40 min. to get to the really good stuff. they have maps at the bbi of a couple of good loops.

everthing you can ride to in a reasonable amount of time is dry.

tuesday night shuttle meets at bristol brewing co. at 5:30, departs at 6ish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    hey thanks guys also I don't know if SSing is very popular there but does anyone have a good recomendation on gearing for those trails? I'm a pretty strong guy but I'm coming from 3500 ft so maybe something shallow?
    what the fu#k is the internet?

dwj
    mtbr member
    i run a 32x18 and that seems more than low enough for most of the trails. i think most SSers run a 32 or 34x18. i had a 39x18 on for awhile and it was great for the bike path and around town, but i was on the rivet the whole time tring to ride the trails in the canon.

Hairshirt Rider
    We've got singlespeeds. Brian's Bicycle repair (close to Barnett's) usually does a week night ride, but I don't know if that's going again yet.

Your results may vary, but once off Gold Camp road 2:1 usually feels a bit harsh to me riding up the cheyenne canyon trails (as mentioned by dwj). 32 x 18 or something similar makes most everything in and around town rideable.

dwj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    We've got singlespeeds. Brian's Bicycle repair (close to Barnett's) usually does a week night ride, but I don't know if that's going again yet.
    i think those guys are meeting at the walmart on 8th street now, and Jurgen said most of them are riding geared bikes at this point in the season. bring a spare lung if you want to ride with those guys, it's mostly pros and human\mountain goat hybrids.

SS Chimp

SS away

- wednesday night rides are still rolling out of brian's shop @ 110 S Sierra Madre

- i run 34x18 and my wife runs 32x18. for general riding 32x18 seems to be a good choice around here and makes the trails do-able in the canyon and beyond.

- hit me with a PM and we can hook up if you like. if it is on dirt i am riding SS so that means 6-7 days a week with flexible times.
    all single...all the time