Team Velveeta™

Trail log, the bad kind

Got in some quality time with my chainsaw yesterday, story and pics here:

Team Velveeta™: Clearing the trail, Chainsaw Consultant II
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Thread Terrorist
    Thanks for the donation of time and work! We all will appreciate it! Funny how we think... people with the xc mindset will cut the tree, people with the freeride mindset woul've built an elaborate bridge and small huck over it. Regadless, obstacle removed!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Excellent. Chainsaws are fun.

S Mountain zone looked promising as we drove through yesterday. Might head down thataways next weekend.

Candlestick Maker
    I was in Salida for the weekend, wishing I had brought my bike. Can't believe how little snow there is at lower elevations. Plenty up at Monarch, though.

Thanks for the trail work!
    baker

pain intolerant
    I remember that tree from my one ride down their last summer. Thanks for your work!

Team Velveeta™

flog the saw

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Excellent. Chainsaws are fun.

S Mountain zone looked promising as we drove through yesterday. Might head down thataways next weekend.
    Chainsaws are fun, in a smelly, blue-collar way. You just wrap those things out with the throttle wide open and make them work their butts off for you. Satisfying to hear them load up and go to work, and with a sharp chain they'll just melt their way through good stout wood. It's fun to clear trail too. I like to leave a gap that's just wide enough for wide riser bars but not enough for a 4-wheeler to get through without the fat fsck riding it getting off to make an effort. (And I say that with all due respect to our brothers who ride those lawn tractors through the woods.)

Stuff is melting out pretty quick up here, but it isn't quite as dry as you'd expect looking up at the hills from the valley floor. But we do have a warm wind blowing today.

Cottonwood Gulch itself is pretty hard frozen, I wouldn't expect to be riding it until end o' the month soonest. But I hear that North Backbone is pretty far along. Anywhere that the sun doesn't reach will hold snow for a while longer.

I'll post reports as spring approacheth.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Members who have read this thread: 0