Rolling

Today's commute in this wind

Just for some stats from today. My commute home from South Boulder to North Boulder near the fire area.

I ride a 32-13 geared SS.

When I had to ride West, the wind was so fierce, I could barely turn the cranks, when a gust appeared, it stopped me cold. I had to walk a bit before I could get going again. It was surreal actually.

When I rode with the wind on flat, I was maintaining 20 mph without pedaling a stroke.

The traffic was a standstill when I got to Jay road. I passed a mile of traffic at 30 mph and I got to say, that was great feeling.

Side wind, however, was very tricky. I had several close calls of trying to balance not hitting curb versus falling into traffic when i was on a section with a bike lane by a road.

Otherwise, it made a normal commute, a fresh new one.
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-22-2012 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Just for some stats from today. My commute home from South Boulder to North Boulder near the fire area.

I ride a 32-13 geared SS.

When I had to ride West, the wind was so fierce, I could barely turn the cranks, when a gust appeared, it stopped me cold. I had to walk a bit before I could get going again. It was surreal actually.

When I rode with the wind on flat, I was maintaining 20 mph without pedaling a stroke.

The traffic was a standstill when I got to Jay road. I passed a mile of traffic at 30 mph and I got to say, that was great feeling.

Side wind, however, was very tricky. I had several close calls of trying to balance not hitting curb versus falling into traffic when i was on a section with a bike lane by a road.

Otherwise, it made a normal commute, a fresh new one.
    it was CRAZY out there today
    Niner WFO | Transition Double | Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Lucked out down here in Monument - at least until this evening. Rode 10miles South on the SFT and back up around 6pm after work, really light wind compared to the ugly forecast. Ride home was 12-15mph from the NW so slow to go North, but that is normal wind and certainly not the hurricane predicted.

The house is rattling now - Just had a 74mph hit the anemometer on the top of the house, followed by several 70's, probably around 9pm. Ugly out there.

Jon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I didn't notice any crazy wind in particular in Denver on my rides yesterday. ~6:30am and 5:30pm. Felt a few gusts, but nothing near as jarring as you experienced.

I've only been in your position once where wind stopped me dead in my tracks. (C-470 trail heading north just south of Green Mountain) Frustrating to say the least. I really felt the more I cursed the more the wind would let up. Obviously nothing changed for better or worse...just had to end up enjoying the ridiculousness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    folks in Boulder and Lyons must have thought the apocalypse was near. Fire, wind, brimstone. Not sure what brimstone is but threw it in anyway.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I would have to say in my 17 years in Colorado, that was the windiest day of them all. Most consistent, strongest wind. I walked the pup at Sanitas, and 4 times I had to stop moving and try to stay on my feet. So did the pup. It was funny actually trying just to stay upright.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

My cup runneth over
    My wife had a scare getting ready to make a right turn coming down Alameda just south east of Green Mountain when a mountain bike rider blew past her on the inside - I'm guessing he was 'with' the wind.

I dream on two wheels
    I, for some reason, decided it would be a good idea to ride to Golden from Downtown Denver on the Clear Creek bike path. I had gears, but still the wind would almost knock you over. Riding the C 470 bike path south to the Bear Creek Trail was pretty exciting though.
    Then the dusting of snow that turned into 4 inches made for a slow commute. Good stuff.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I would have to say in my 17 years in Colorado, that was the windiest day of them all. Most consistent, strongest wind. I walked the pup at Sanitas, and 4 times I had to stop moving and try to stay on my feet. So did the pup. It was funny actually trying just to stay upright.
    Agree- strongest winds I remember seeing. I took my 20 month old son (27 lbs) out on a walk and I wish I would've brought a video cam. hilarious. He absolutely loved getting pushed to the ground by the wind...he couldn't get enough of it.

Slopestyle Rider
    Must have been a wind inversion... I'm up at St. Mary's Glacier and it was dead calm.

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45 View Post
    Must have been a wind inversion
    Not an inversion. It is a strong downslope wind. Called a katabatic wind or chinook wind in this case as the front was warm. Really warm here yesterday.

St. Mary's isn't on the downslope but it is pretty close. If you went up a few thousand feet you'd probably have felt a lot more wind.

I didn't commute yesterday. Pretty glad I didn't. I hate riding in the wind. I would rather ride in the freezing cold and snowy conditions.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    folks in Boulder and Lyons must have thought the apocalypse was near. Fire, wind, brimstone. Not sure what brimstone is but threw it in anyway.
    I got to see a big chunk of it. I live near the North Boulder fire, and passed right by one of the overturned semis, which was just above the bike path on Foothills near Valmont.

I think my biggest risk last night was getting hit by flying debris from all the shredded trees on the cottonwood trail.

This morning, I could see the other semi on diagonal still laying on it's side.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    I got to see a big chunk of it. I live near the North Boulder fire, and passed right by one of the overturned semis, which was just above the bike path on Foothills near Valmont.

I think my biggest risk last night was getting hit by flying debris from all the shredded trees on the cottonwood trail.

This morning, I could see the other semi on diagonal still laying on it's side.
    That bridge is a danger to all of mankind. It's the slickest spot in Boulder - I've seen 3 or 4 accidents there because of ice.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How much damage did Boulder get? The fence and roof contractors will be busy for a while, I bet.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    How much damage did Boulder get? The fence and roof contractors will be busy for a while, I bet.
    looks like just a few broken branches in my neighborhood. I did see the photo the crushed car over near university hill. Only thing I lost was the plastic cover off a large plastic box. Found it broken in my neighbors yard.

I think Boulder sees enough of this wind, that most things that will blow over already have. Yesterday wasn't really stronger winds that we can get in terms of gusts, just more consistent.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had trouble walking home...

Rigid in Evergreen
    It was pretty dang windy driving home from the airport yesterday evening. There was another overturned semi on the east bound side of I-70 near the Morrison Exit.

I took the dog out at midnight and it was eerily calm and warm. I got up at 3AM and there was a full-on blizzard outside. Thankfully our house is protected from the worst of the wind (a benefit I wasn't entirely aware of when we bought it).

banned
    I have the luxury of cutting through neighborhoods on my commute when it's windy, so it wasn't so bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0