mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thinking about moving to Ft. Collins (Advice?)

I spent a week there a few years back and loved it. Right now I live in Northern California and am being forced to sell my house due to a divorce that is not my choice. I spend my free time biking, snow boarding, backpacking, etc. I'm thinking, what could be a better time to relocate. The housing situation is so much better there. For the price of a condo here, I could get a nice house there. How is the job market? The city quotes a low un-employment rate which is a good sign. The main thing I'm afraid of is just meeting new people and finding a new job. I was thinking I could start connecting with people on MTBR. A good job should come in time. I have a BS in business and 5 years of engineering tech. level work experience including work for city government. What do you guys think of the area? Would you choose somewhere else if you could? How tough would it be for a Nor. Cal. guy to move up there and get situated? Thanks for your opinions/help.

Time is not a road.
    I've lived in Loveland, 7 mi south of Fort Collins now for about 3 years. It's a bit cheaper than the Fort, it's booming and it's close to lots of great riding. Fort Collins has a cool downtown vibe and being close to the University means lots of restaurants, shopping, concerts, etc.

It's a bit hectic, but it's very populated. Some like that, some don't. If you don't, Loveland is a good option. If you do, the Fort is where it's at.

The riding scene is good and there's several different bike organizations (like Mountain High Trail Association) that sponsor group rides and trail days. Good for meeting people to ride with. MTBR is a good place to find most of us on any given day (El Beastro, JDub, skipowder and many others). Other days we're hanging at Larry's shop, Mountain High Cyclery or, if you're Squeaky Wheel, you split time between there and Push Industries. Future trail building is in high gear. It's an exciting time to be a mtn biker in N. Colorado.

Fort Collins has, however, struggled in the job growth area. Many tech sector jobs have been eliminated, but health care and retail are growing, as well as new construction (the whole place is under construction). You might try to find a job before you get here, but the past few months have been better in that regard. I think the University is the largest employer in town, with other companies like HP, Intel, Agilent, Woodward Governor, Waterpick, Budweiser and Kodak in the area.

Good luck! Look us up when you get here!
    Chad

slow

Great place!

Except for a 7 year ski bum phase, I have lived in Ft. Collins since 1973. It is a great place to live. Between FC, Loveland, and surrounding areas, job market is not bad. There have been some layoffs in the high tech companies, but the other day the paper said some reported ones were not going to happen and other companies were hiring back. Fort Collins has a high concentration of entrepreneurs starting businesses.

In the past couple of months, I have been working with several Californians looking to buy homes here, and they are pretty impressed with what their CA dollars will buy here.

Riding is great and doable nearly year round. People are really friendly and there are either road or mountain group rides nearly every weekday evening in the summer. Great riding community and bike friendly town. New Belgium Brewery has a bike-in movie night going on Thursday nights right now. There are some trails close to town, too:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would be open to either town. I might need to find a roommate for a while. I'd like to live there for a while until I figured out where I'd like to buy a place and to make sure my job was stable. The growth is good because part of my work experience is construction inspection, public works job coordination, surveying, etc. I also worked in sporting goods and was a bike mechanic through part of my college times. I could try and do that just to make ends meet until I got back into my main career. Are people Anti-Californians there? I know in some states like WA they are. They really don't like people from Southern CA and they just tolerate Northern Californians. How fast have home prices been going up? They seem to be pretty good right now. Does it seem that most people are happy that they live there? How close are the ski resorts? Sorry for so many questions but it's great to get opinions from locals that are into the same things as I am.

slow
    Big ski areas (Winter Park, Summit County Areas) are 2 hours on a good traffic day, but there are a couple of smaller areas (Eldora, Snowy Range) that are less. There are jobs in sporting goods shops, but with the university (CSU) here, many of those jobs are taken by students. Word is that many of the jobs in this area are support for all of the building going on around here. Average appreciation is in the neighborhood of 3% per year. This varies dependent on many factors. There are always going to be a few people that are anti-outsiders. Usually they just got here themselves and want to shut the door behind themselves. You hear a few anti-California folks, but you hear that about Texas too. We have to pick on someone! Fort Collins has so many out of state students that your car probably won't even stand out while waiting for your new license plates. Most folks that are in the Loveland / Ft Collins area seem happy about it. It constantly gets rated as one of the best places to live. There are more people coming in than leaving.

You should come here for a couple of rides and a visit.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Funny should come up. We've been thinking about Ft. Collins too and two weeks ago drove around looking at Lyons. I'm really digging the Lyon's area. We're looking for some property in a semi-rural area that's zoned appropriately so I can keep my shop & residence in the same place. After looking around Salida for a long time, we've pretty much decided that with my business, I can't be that far away from my suppliers in Denver & Co. Springs.

Biggest draw for for the area is that it is a college town and the community there is more in line with what we're looking for....which for us means more along the lines of funky and less mindless pursuit of turning everything into a highlands ranch lawn contest...
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It sounds as good as I remember. I just need to wait a while because this separation is taking a huge toll on me. I need to be sure I'm not making a drastic decision moving. I was wanting to move in the future but when this happened, I figured now is as good a time as any. It's also good to know there is a real estate agent on here to help me find something. That's much better than just picking someone at random. It seems like something to start with would go for about $170-200k. Maybe a 3/2 1,500sf with a descent size lot?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Funny should come up. We've been thinking about Ft. Collins too and two weeks ago drove around looking at Lyons. I'm really digging the Lyon's area. We're looking for some property in a semi-rural area that's zoned appropriately so I can keep my shop & residence in the same place. After looking around Salida for a long time, we've pretty much decided that with my business, I can't be that far away from my suppliers in Denver & Co. Springs.

Biggest draw for for the area is that it is a college town and the community there is more in line with what we're looking for....which for us means more along the lines of funky and less mindless pursuit of turning everything into a highlands ranch lawn contest...
    Don,
    PM me particulars and I'll see what I can come up with.
    Mike

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr
    It sounds as good as I remember. I just need to wait a while because this separation is taking a huge toll on me. I need to be sure I'm not making a drastic decision moving. I was wanting to move in the future but when this happened, I figured now is as good a time as any. It's also good to know there is a real estate agent on here to help me find something. That's much better than just picking someone at random. It seems like something to start with would go for about $170-200k. Maybe a 3/2 1,500sf with a descent size lot?

As of this evening, there are 163 active listings in Fort Collins and Loveland between $170-200k that are 3/2 1500+ (including basement). E-mail or PM me when you decide to make the jump.
    MW

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Don,
    PM me particulars and I'll see what I can come up with.
    Mike
    Hi Mike, I wouldn't want you to spin your wheels on this. We're at least two years away from doing anything; we're waiting until we have the current place paid off before buying/building a new place...of course if you know of a killer place or piece of property in the Lyon's area, we'd be interested in seeing it
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    I love Ft. Collins...I grew up on horsetooth res. we lived on soderberg for years...i want to move back there...but my job is in denver. its a great place to live...schools are awesome and the people are very friendly.

mtbr member
    Didn't ya hear, Colorado is full.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydee
    I love Ft. Collins...I grew up on horsetooth res. we lived on soderberg for years...i want to move back there...but my job is in denver. its a great place to live...schools are awesome and the people are very friendly.
    How do you like Denver?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Didn't ya hear, Colorado is full.
    I knew there would be one of these posts. It's cool though. I have two friends that are considering Denver so maybe I'll start there so when I go to Ft Collins I'll be from Denver. Ha Ha.

mtbr member
    Denver is ok...all the trails here get conjested...Ft. collins is cool cuz its like small town living in a big city (atleast when i was living there). But denver is not bad...better than living in say ohio right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What other cities are good in CO with lots of outdoor sports near and a good supply of jobs? I also have family on Colorado Springs but have never been there. Does it compare with Fort Collins? I was also tring to find a website that compared home prices between those cities and Denver.

Members who have read this thread: 0