Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    old skool newbie
    Reputation: goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    820

    Teva snow bike race

    A three minute video from the Teva games in Vail this year. This is not my video. Just sharing.

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1IIipV_MMXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    edit: apparently the video maker won't share the video with this website or I don't know how to embed it properly, sorry.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    415
    Does anyone know how the fat bikes fared against the skinnies or vice versa in this race ?

    It's hard to see who may have had the advantage if any.

    Riding in the snow seems to be a moving target regarding conditions for traction, float and stability. In my small experience this year with a fat bike I have yet to feel/see a complete huge advantage over a regular mtb except for the fact that they are a blast to ride and no doubt add much stability in many cases but I still see that most decent riders on other bikes hang in there pretty well in those varied conditions.

    In a race like this video, if you are a serious racer, moving those heavy wheels around could set you back in the field even as a strong rider.

    I wonder if bike classes would be something worthwhile to implement for snow racing, apples to apples ??

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    That is great, where do you find out about these events?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    That is great, where do you find out about these events?
    Pick up a free copy of Rocky Mountain Sports Magazine at places like REI or sports shop type places (bike shops) usually at the front entrance like Westward Magazine. You can look it up online too. This is a good place to start. They have an annual events edition as well.


  5. #5
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post

    It's hard to see who may have had the advantage if any.

    Riding in the snow seems to be a moving target regarding conditions for traction, float and stability. In my small experience this year with a fat bike I have yet to feel/see a complete huge advantage over a regular mtb except for the fact that they are a blast to ride and no doubt add much stability in many cases but I still see that most decent riders on other bikes hang in there pretty well in those varied conditions.
    Those conditions look like super hard packed snow. In those conditions, a regular mountain bike can fair well. Where a fat bike can make a huge difference is in loose, thick snow conditions. Example of last weekend at 3 Sisters. Bsoft was riding a fat bike and I was on my Niner Jet 9 running about 18-22 psi. On the hardpack stuff I was able to hang but climbing and descending Evergreen Mtn which was super soft, thick and loose had me walking about 95% of it while Bsoft rode over 95% of it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Those conditions look like super hard packed snow. In those conditions, a regular mountain bike can fair well. Where a fat bike can make a huge difference is in loose, thick snow conditions. Example of last weekend at 3 Sisters. Bsoft was riding a fat bike and I was on my Niner Jet 9 running about 18-22 psi. On the hardpack stuff I was able to hang but climbing and descending Evergreen Mtn which was super soft, thick and loose had me walking about 95% of it while Bsoft rode over 95% of it.
    Where did you start Evergreen Mtn from ? I rode 3 Sisters from the lower lot to the upper and tried riding into Evergreen Mtn from there but gave up as I just couldn't get very far on that open meadow, even on my fatty. Maybe it was better from the lower lot entrance. 3 Sisters was perfect though.

    I may try Chimney today, any 411 on that ?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,592

    Chimney

    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post

    I may try Chimney today, any 411 on that ?
    We rode Chimney/ Apex last Sunday. Didn't start until noon. It was awesome up to the road (Windy Saddle) and pretty tough after that. Similarly, coming down Apex was pretty tough until the merge from Hardscrabble to Apex, then it was hard-packed. I think either trail would be decent on the lower sections if you hit it early while the snow is still frozen- been pretty warm since last weekend...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Pick up a free copy of Rocky Mountain Sports Magazine at places like REI or sports shop type places (bike shops) usually at the front entrance like Westward Magazine. You can look it up online too. This is a good place to start. They have an annual events edition as well.

    I forgot all about that mag, I used to pick one up often. Thanks for the remind!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    I forgot all about that mag, I used to pick one up often. Thanks for the remind!
    My pleasure !

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.