Suggestions for the end of my Colorado riding trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Suggestions for the end of my Colorado riding trip?

My friend and I will be driving from north texas in the last week of July to Trestle bike park to ride on Sunday and Monday the 24th and 25th. I have to drop my friend off at the Denver airport on Tuesday evening but I don't have to be back to Texas until work on Monday the 1st.

I would really like to try Monarch Crest Trail (with rainbow) but I am not sure where else to go?

I have heard some great things about Canyon Creek, Gunison, CB's 401 and doctor park, Buffalo Creek, and Breckenridge, but I am not sure which would be safest to ride solo or where I should stay to get the best trail options for Wed - Sat. I am willing to drive wherever if there are spots I should definitely not miss or I would be fine going to one amazing place to explore trails.

Of course I love downhill/enduro but can pedal for it if needed. I don't think I am as interested in the Fruita systems since I have ridden Moab.

I will only have my remedy 7 to ride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!

High Plains Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by apr20vturbo View Post
    I have heard some great things about Canyon Creek, Gunison, CB's 401 and doctor park, Buffalo Creek, and Breckenridge, but I am not sure which would be safest to ride solo or where I should stay to get the best trail options for Wed - Sat. I am willing to drive wherever if there are spots I should definitely not miss or I would be fine going to one amazing place to explore trails.
    Canyon Creek is amazing, but I'd caution you against riding it alone, especially on a week day. It's got some moments, and if you get hurt or have a crippling mechanical you'd be on your own more likely than not. Could be days before anybody came.

You could do several rides based on the shuttle to Monarch. I think I'd recommend going over to CB/Gunni though. Let your N Texas mind get blown a little.
    always phoneless

mtbr member
    I would pick the other options over Buffalo Creek. I do my riding and hiking alone. However, I'm prepared for most possibilities. If you're riding above tree line you want to be prepared for cool weather and start early to avoid afternoon thunderstorm which carry significant lightening risk. Have a good map and don't get lost.

Most Breck rides are less epic but very good too. You won't get lost easily since you'll probably be able to see the ski area and there will be others on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks so much for the input. I think I will stick around CB since itís close to Monarch Crest.

I was thinking maybe something like

Sat 7/23 drive to Colorado
    Sun 7/24 ride Trestle
    Mon 7/25 ride Trestle
    Tues 7/26 drop friend off at Denver airport and drive to CB, stay near there somewhere.
    Wed 7/27 Reno/Flag/Bear/Doctors like in this thread? (http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/tr-cr...ml#post9660772) or should I just go for Doctors?
    Thur 7/28 401
    Fri 7/29 CB Bike Park
    Sat 7/30 Monarch Crest with rainbow
    Sun 7/31 Drive back to N. Tx

Do you guys think I should switch anything around? Where is the best place to find out the details about the trails or how/where to shuttle or park? Would these trails be relatively safe for solo riding? Is there anything else Colorado riders need to carry besides the extra layers for quick changing weather? Is a regular 100oz camelbak be enough water for the trails?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

mtbr member
    If you do a search for Salida on in this forum there's lots of good info about Monarch Crest. You can use this on google for your search

salida site:mtbr.com

I haven't ridden Monarch Crest but I've heard Absolute Bikes in Salida does shuttles.

As for riding solo. I do almost everything in the mountains solo. When going up high like Monarch Crest you should balance the need to be swift to avoid weather changes with the need to carry gear and water to be prepared. Bring cool weather gear. Wear sunscreen. Start early to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. Ideally you'd be down in the trees or done by noon or 1pm.

Watch the weather a couple days before your ride. You want stable high pressure ideally. 100 oz is good. On big all day hikes and rides I carry slightly more. But I drink alot. Bring some food too obviously. Ride conservatively. You might consider bringing a really light emergency blanket and a small light compass. Maybe a really light head lamp. But if you ride conservatively and start early you should not be out near dusk. Critters come out at night but we know that.

Above tree line if you pay attention its usually easy to keep your bearings. Don't weigh yourself down too much being swift is good up high.

Much of what I say applies to high elevation rides far out there. Many rides are much more tame, closer to town and not nearly as significant.

High Plains Drifter
    Thanks so much for the input. I think I will stick around CB since itís close to Monarch Crest.

Sun 7/24 ride Trestle
    Mon 7/25 ride Trestle
    Tues 7/26 drop friend off at Denver airport and drive to CB, stay near there somewhere.
    Wed 7/27 Reno/Flag/Bear/Doctors like in this thread? (http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/tr-cr...ml#post9660772) or should I just go for Doctors?
    Thur 7/28 401
    Fri 7/29 CB Bike Park
    That seems mostly reasonable. Things to be aware: not always easy to find someplace to camp near CB. Doctor Park is like 10 miles east of CB, and the road you use to access it, Spring Creek Road would be a good place to find at-large camping.

Regarding your 7/27: That a big damn ride. Did that a few years ago and my strava stats were 41.5 miles and 6,381 feet of climbing. Solution? Drop Reno/Flag/Bear. It sux anyway. Deadman switchbacks are a nice 5 minutes, but then you climb forever to Reno Divide then descend the most boring, straight singletrack giving up a whole 1000 feet for which you paid dearly.

This is a matter of some controversy. Many feel that RFB is the bestest. Whatevs. I would say don't sully your Doctor Park experience by trying to finish RFB first.

No matter what else you do, have a rain jacket with you.
    always phoneless

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Sun 7/24 ride Trestle
    Mon 7/25 ride Trestle
    Thur 7/28 401
    Fri 7/29 CB Bike Park

Do you guys think I should switch anything around?!
    Id switch driving your friend all the way to DIA and then back up the hill! Get that man a shuttle and stay high my friend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks so much for all the help!!

I will probably drop Reno/Flag/Bear and just stick with Doctors.