Steamboat trails- Mtbr.com
    Superhero in training

Steamboat trails

Wondering if anybody has some good tips on trails to ride in Steamboat springs. We're staying at Strawberry Hot Springs for the weekend and are going to bring the bikes. Normally, I would just look at what's on the forum and try something out, but I want to make sure the wife has fun too. I'm looking for something that's not too technical, or too much steep downhill. Some sort of easy-int trail. The happier she is, the happier I am!

Any tips? Thanks!

Awesomist™
    For fun intermediate stuff you could possibly check out Spring Creek Trail as an out-n-back, and all the Emerald Mountain trails are really fun as well. There's also riding close to the Hot Springs, but I've never ridden any of that so I can't comment on difficulty level. You might also try posting your query or researching some rides in the Western Slope forum, I think the 'Boat crowd may hang out in there.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Superhero in training
    Thanks Full Trucker! I'll check out Spring Creek/Emerald Mountain and cross post. I wasn't 100% sure where Steamboat was "technically" located.

friend of Apex
    Strawberry Springs, eh?

Bring some cabernet and chocolate, and you'll be set.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Superhero in training
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Strawberry Springs, eh?

Bring some cabernet and chocolate, and you'll be set.
    Exactly! That part I've got covered.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that Steamboat is on the western slope.

Check out the Routt County Riders website for some tril basics,

Trails

Also most of our shoppes have maps and trail knowledge for visitors, my favorite is Orange Peel, @ 12th and Yampa.

If you are staying at the Strawberry Park Hot Springs, it only makes sence to ride the Hot Springs tril over to Mad Creek and if you have the time and endurance, over the connector to Red Dirt, and up Red Dirt to the wilderness boundary is a personal favorite of mine.

Emerald Mt, in downtown behind the ski jumps is always a great ride. Lots of trails, go explore.

Spring Creek starts by the High School, (on the way to SParkhot springs) and is a technically easy climb up to dry lake. Fun and rideable during wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This is a freaking amazing planning tool and has been updated with a number of (not all) Steam Boat springs trails.
    The "Skip" Map

It doesn't give you much of a trail description but it will at least get you started.

Superhero in training
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Steamboat is on the western slope.

Check out the Routt County Riders website for some tril basics,

Trails

Also most of our shoppes have maps and trail knowledge for visitors, my favorite is Orange Peel, @ 12th and Yampa.

If you are staying at the Strawberry Park Hot Springs, it only makes sence to ride the Hot Springs tril over to Mad Creek and if you have the time and endurance, over the connector to Red Dirt, and up Red Dirt to the wilderness boundary is a personal favorite of mine.

Emerald Mt, in downtown behind the ski jumps is always a great ride. Lots of trails, go explore.

Spring Creek starts by the High School, (on the way to SParkhot springs) and is a technically easy climb up to dry lake. Fun and rideable during wet conditions.
    Great info, thanks! Yeah, I thought it would be western slope too, but no responses/posts over in that forum. So it looks like I tried the right place after all.

Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    This is a freaking amazing planning tool and has been updated with a number of (not all) Steam Boat springs trails.
    The "Skip" Map

It doesn't give you much of a trail description but it will at least get you started.
    Pretty cool maps. Looks like it's pretty big in SLC. I hope it keeps going, it could be a very valuable riding tool.

mtbr member
    You must actually like this mt biking stuff. Tell the wifey to suck it up and hit some downhill!!!! Your gonna need the practice for Moab

Want to vent?
    Other than what is listed already, north routt trails on seedhouse road are pretty easy on the legs for the most part...diamond park especially....wyo trail has some rock gnar bits but not bad either in terms of climbs and descents. The views and feel out there are a little more "backcountry" as well...
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

Superhero in training
    Great! Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the input. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and we'll have some good riding!

mtbr member
    Note on the weather, Spring Creek, and even Hot Springs can dry out quickly and be ridden when mildly wet. Emerald mt takes longer to dry out, and when wet is a mess.

Superhero in training
    Good to know. Looks like there's a chance of rain on Friday and Saturday. May have to go riding Sunday instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0