Thread: St Mary's Falls

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

St Mary's Falls

Is there a way to take this trail to Jone's downhill? I haven't done either trail but I want to try a longer ride in the cheyenne canyon area and this option looked fun.
    Are both easy to follow based on descriptions in the falcon guide? Thanks for any help.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    I don't think you can ride St Mary's trail anymore, If that's the one below the parking lot at Gold Camp. It may be off-limits to bikes because of the HEAVY ped. traffic.

Maybe someone else can chime in that has some mo' info.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Your retarded
    I believe you are correct, ban'd.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    FixedHalo-

I don't think you would enjoy this trail if it is open to bikes, because:
    1. It's mostly hike-a-bike with all the steps.
    2. There are alot of Touristas with kids(So you will be stopping alot)
    3. The top of the trail is water over smooooth granite( this combo will put you on your posterior quite rapidly)

It's been a couple of years since I went up the Falls... So maybe some things have changed. I would just walk it and ask if it is still open. If you get the green light and you want to give it a go- Crack On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nick/Ban'd...
    I think you guys are thinking about helen hunt falls or seven falls?
    St. Mary's is open to bikes. Me and Rick did that the other day. Lots of hike a bike and it really did suck.

I also did the regular gold camp climb up to jones recently, and that was much more enjoyable. A 4-5 hour loop at a easy pace from the high drive/gold camp lot. Probably a little quicker and less (almost no) fire road if you go up St Mary's, but not worth the hike.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    CP-

You are right I am thinking HH Falls. FixedHalo- There you have it!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I tried to ride StMary's Falls trail to Jones park once. I got quite lost and ended up bushwacking down over a grand of vert and finally found Seven Bridges trail right by the cruxy rock moves. That was a heck of a day.

Team Inflexible
    I prefer to take St Marys vs gold camp to get to ole Frostys Park (trailhead for jones/pipeline). St marys is a beyotch but more of a direct route vs taking gold camp up. IMO i would rather hike a bike on single track than cruise dirt roads.

When you get to the top of Marys there is a dirt road that you will hit. I need to look at my map for the road #. Turn Left and this skirts around the top of Mt Rosa for about 2 miles.

After you start bombing down the fire road for a minute look for a trail intersection to your right. This is the connecter trail that takes you to FR 379 and up to Frostys. From here you can choose your way down via Jones or Pipeline. Personally I like Jones better.

This is my favorite loop in the Pikes peak area.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude_72

When you get to the top of Marys there is a dirt road that you will hit. I need to look at my map for the road #. Turn Left and this skirts around the top of Mt Rosa for about 2 miles.

After you start bombing down the fire road for a minute look for a trail intersection to your right. This is the connecter trail that takes you to FR 379 and up to Frostys. From here you can choose your way down via Jones or Pipeline. Personally I like Jones better.

This is my favorite loop in the Pikes peak area.

I think I must have taken a right on that dirt road. I ended up descending a bunch of vert on a jeep road that dead ended.
    I like your route, although you know that now its been posted on the interweb legions of tapped in riders are going to plunder it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I agree with Jaydude on the St. Marys over Gold Camp route. I have climbed both many times, and have found them to always take the same amount of time. I prefer St. Marys as I find hike-a-bikin up a singletrack through the woods more enjoyable than a long steady dirt road, with the end full of vehicles. (especially on a weekend) Plus I like the little stretch of singletrack at the end.

For your original question, the only questionable turn-off is now signed, so navigating with your Falcon guide should be no problem. It sounds like you are planning to ride down Jones, so don't be alarmed that your falcon guide says "all downhill from here", and you find yourself going uphill for awhile. You are on the right path.

When are you planning to do this? If I stay in town this weekend and that area gets some moisture it sounds appealing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I think I must have taken a right on that dirt road. I ended up descending a bunch of vert on a jeep road that dead ended.
    I like your route, although you know that now its been posted on the interweb legions of tapped in riders are going to plunder it.
    That is one of the joys of hike-a-bikin'. It doesn't matter how much advertisement it gets, the masses will always stay away. One of my favorite rides in Colorado is on the map for all to see, but with the high elevation hike-a-bike up a "goat" trail with no way to shuttle, it is and will probably always remain a solitude n singletrack seekers delight,

mtbr member
    I did it about 3 years ago using the falcon guide and a map. Was a little confusing in spots but it's not too bad to navigate. And yes....be prepared to hike your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks for all the feedback on the trail. I am with jaydude and canyoncreek on the hike a bike vs fireroad. I tried to follow the falcon guide last year with the falls and i ended up where the trail just seemed to disintegrate into the mountain, so I think I made a wrong turn somewhere. Hopefully on this outing I will be more successful.
    As far as when I was planning on riding canyoncreek, I was hoping Friday or Saturday morning before the heat sets in. More than happy to have you along for the ride and possible guide if it fits in with your schedule.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah, we made a right too and got lost, sucked, hadn't done it in 5 years or so. Would of been fun if we had done the right route to 379, the ridable parts were really nice and it was very green with Columbines everywhere, very scenic. I would say it's a toss up for me, the road is def easier and you can stay on the bike, we didn't actually see any traffic on the trail.

One of our riding buds Rich apparently saw a decomposing body up there, guess it made the news but we don't know who reported it, the guy commited suicide back in Jan supposedly and it had been up there all this time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I used to ride that loop a lot. Even with the hike-a-bike section I definitely prefer going up the falls vs riding Gold Camp. The time I rode Gold Camp I sat in the saddle so long that it left me in a state where, well, I was wondering if I would ever be able to have sex again... Yeah, it was time for a new saddle.

Anyway, the only tricky part is diving into the woods to the right when you get to the saddle of the ridge where the road starts going downhill fast. If you catch that turn then the rest is easy.

mtbr member
    Hello,

I have done this loop twice in two weeks this year and despite the hike-a-bike sections the majority is enjoyable, rideable. The steeps combined with erosion will make you cuss on the upper section, but still well worth it. Didn't see any bodies, but it was reported the very next day after my 2nd ride. Wonder exactly where it was?

When you reach the road by the rock fire pit, take a left as others have stated (FR 381). After approximately 2 miles with a good amount of downhill you will come to an intersection that has a large concrete slab on the left. Just 50 or so feet straight past this take trail 626(?) on the right. Keep to the right at the next "Y" that is a short way from the trailhead. This will dump you out about half-way up FR 379 in Frostys between Gold Camp Road and the 701/668 Pipeline trailhead.

Agreed, the Falcon guide is a bit confusing and the ending elevation is about 1500'+ short, but the directions are there if you understand what he's describing at any given time.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncreek
    That is one of the joys of hike-a-bikin'. It doesn't matter how much advertisement it gets, the masses will always stay away. One of my favorite rides in Colorado is on the map for all to see, but with the high elevation hike-a-bike up a "goat" trail with no way to shuttle, it is and will probably always remain a solitude n singletrack seekers delight,
    Amen!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedhalo
    As far as when I was planning on riding canyoncreek, I was hoping Friday or Saturday morning before the heat sets in. More than happy to have you along for the ride and possible guide if it fits in with your schedule.
    I sent you a PM.........................

The MTB Lab
    I just did the ride last weekend. I always prefer the St Marys version to get Jones Park myself instead of Gold Camp/Stagecoach. I hate the long boring ride that finishes on a busy road.

The hike a' bike section is getting pretty eroded and it seems worse then other years I have done this? Oh well it finally gets done and you start on a pleasant single track. When you get to where the double track starts there was a small pile of rocks that led me down to the real fun single track. What a great surprise that was! It did have one section that went through a rock garden that was more hike 'a bike but it was very short. This single track was a lot more pleasant then taking the double track.

I do love that its called Jone Park Downhill since its pretty aerobic at the start when some long climbs.

The technical rock garden like sections on Jones Park are getting chewed up my the bikes of late. I skipped over to the Buckhorn cause I got tired of the usual Summer dry conditions on the Captain Jacks. Way to loose, dry and chewed up for my taste.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0