I did it all for the kudo

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12

At the moment my phone is saying that the high on Wednesday is 63. Holy crap thats warm!
    So where are we riding? I'm up for anything.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    At the moment my phone is saying that the high on Wednesday is 63. Holy crap thats warm!
    So where are we riding? I'm up for anything.
    On the ride yesterday, we were talking about Palmer Park. Can you get us a condition report? I'm not sure how much snow they got (if any) in this little storm.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    On the ride yesterday, we were talking about Palmer Park. Can you get us a condition report? I'm not sure how much snow they got (if any) in this little storm.
    Well, I got about an inch at my house, and I'm a stones throw from there. It's almost all gone now, other than in the shade. My guess will be by Wednesday it'll definitely be a go, especially if it gets as warm as they're saying.

I'm with stupid
    Which ride style are you thinking?

I tapped that

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Which ride style are you thinking?
    We did XC last time so I was going to suggest more "all mountain" this time. It's been a long time since I've been on on Templeton...

I'm with stupid
    Ok mal time,
    Hopefully it will not be muddy with all the camo ice melting and not freezing again before we get there. I had about 2 1/2" at my house this morning ( above uccs) so hopefully that will melt off over the next two days.

I tapped that

I think I can.

Templeton

My vote is for Templeton, looking forward to big scary rock, drops, and oh my at night.

I'll be there, looks like my last Wednesday night ride as Lacrosse is starting the week after next

May have to start a Thursday night ride

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Team Inflexible
    I am thinking Templeton will be great. Any snow from today will be melted by Wednesday according to the forecast.

mtbr member
    I may see you guys out there but I'll be riding more of a XC loop. I'm not ready for Templeton yet but hopefully I will be in a month or so on the new Clydemobile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-wfo.jpg  

Whoa B! That's a nice frame!

mtbr member
    Whoa B! That's a nice frame!
    Found it used on E-bay and couldn't pass it up. Saving up for fork and wheels now but everything else I should have this weekend.

I'll look for you guys Wednesday, it's gonna feel like summer if the forecast is right.

I'm with stupid
    WOW BBC that is sweet!!! I will admit you sir have made me jealous. Hope to see you there.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    May have to start a Thursday night ride
    Yes you should, come up to Denver on Thursday(s) that is!

Guys, I spoke too soon. Realized on the ride home I have obligations to drop off my GF tomorrow @4 am and the pick up @ 9pm Wed night. Impossible to make that deadline.

I will try to make this happen in the near future though!

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bald Clyde View Post
    in a month or so on the new Clydemobile.

Thats purdy!

Team Inflexible
    Since we have been all nostalgic lately here is a vid from Templeton this time last year.

I need to bring the gopro out more.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PUZBbbyU28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Name the meeting Location and I may make it down. The knee is healing up. If not Wednesday, then I'll definitely be down on Saturday. Prefer to try Palmer Park but I could be talked into the Canyon again.

I'm with stupid
    Normal meeting spot is the parking lot just east of the stables I think the street is paseo. I-25 south to filmore, east on filmore stay on filmore for a bit take a left just after the golf course on your left hand side just past union ( paseo.. I think) and follow it up till you see the parking lot on your left right at the entrance to the park.

I tapped that

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    Since we have been all nostalgic lately here is a vid from Templeton this time last year.

I need to bring the gopro out more.
    Yeah, bring out your handlebar mount--I'd love to try that with my new Amoeba and see how it works. Since the new light doesn't have a hot spot, I think it will work a lot better with the gopro.

I'm looking forward to Templetation!

I'm with stupid
    Is it tomorrow yet? I have not ridden since the last night ride. Talk about going crazy with lackoriding syndrome!!

I tapped that

I'm ready to ride too, might have to do some recon this afternoon!

Nice vid Jay, the videos always make trails look flat. Towards the end I can see you railing Cobblestoned down to Edna Mae.
    Love me some Cobblestone at night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-imag0336.jpg  

That picture makes me want to bring the Unit tomorrow night....

Is it Wednesday evening yet???

I'm with stupid
    That picture makes me want to bring the Unit tomorrow night....

Is it Wednesday evening yet???
    Let me know if you decide to do that.

I tapped that

the Chain Guy
    A templton ride sounds awesome. I'll have to pass though. I'll eagerly be waiting for Jay's video.

Let me know if you decide to do that.
    Nah, even though that sounds like fun, I don't have enough SS time yet this winter for my legs to be ready for that.

<100%
    Looks like fun. I see the north canyon lot near the stables on the map but what time?

6 o'clock usually take off by 6:15.

Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Looks like fun. I see the north canyon lot near the stables on the map but what time?
    We actually meet in the parking lot just east of the stables off of Paseo. You'll drive up Paseo until you see the gate, and we park at the lot just inside the gate on the left. If that lot is full, go back outside the park, take your first left by the gate, whip a u-turn and park along the street that borders the park.

See you tomorrow!

I'm with stupid
    Hope we have a big group!!!

I tapped that

Just so everyone knows where to meet. The parking lots marked.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=&amp;daddr=38.87 7453,-104.77775&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;sll=38.877537 ,-104.777673&amp;sspn=0.004377,0.010568&amp;gl=us&am p;mra=mift&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=17&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t= h&amp;ll=38.877537,-104.777673&amp;spn=0.004377,0.010568&amp;output=em bed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=&amp;daddr=38. 877453,-104.77775&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;sll=38.877537 ,-104.777673&amp;sspn=0.004377,0.010568&amp;gl=us&am p;mra=mift&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=17&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t= h&amp;ll=38.877537,-104.777673&amp;spn=0.004377,0.010568" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Candlestick Maker
    Sounds like fun. I should be able to make it. What is the estimated ride time? An hour or two?
    baker

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Sounds like fun. I should be able to make it. What is the estimated ride time? An hour or two?
    We usually ride about 2 hours, but you can peel off early if you need to.

wanna ride
    The snowboarding legs are tired so I might try out the biking legs tomorrow. See you guys there. Looking forward to some templeton.
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm probably a no go. If my 6:15 client cancels I can catch the 2nd half of the ride.

I'm with stupid
    Count down......T minus too many hours and a long day!!

So to help kill some time lets have a bit of education, There will be a test on the ride.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sbSbrKvIYOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by hitechredneck; 02-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Dam, is it 6 yet?

Dam, is it 6 yet?
    Nope, it's only 1:15... I've been craming all morning for a meeting with our CFO at 2:00 and it's been a little stressful. I'm SO ready for some Templeton! We may need to head there directly instead of the usual South Canyon warm up .

the Chain Guy
    I am getting more and more jealous of you guys as today goes on. I guess I'll have to try and get my Templton fix in over the weekend.

I'm with stupid
    Nope, it's only 1:15... I've been craming all morning for a meeting with our CFO at 2:00 and it's been a little stressful. I'm SO ready for some Templeton! We may need to head there directly instead of the usual South Canyon warm up .
    I need my warm up on something tame so tempelton does not claim me as a victim right off the bat.

I tapped that

Candlestick Maker
    Looking forward to the ride. Hopefully the winds die down. I was just out riding in Ute and it was ridiculous...
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ill be bringing up the rear as usual...

Will be cool if you guys do take a warmup, that way I can meet at the north lot/tempe trailhead

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoPaul View Post
    Ill be bringing up the rear as usual...

Will be cool if you guys do take a warmup, that way I can meet at the north lot/tempe trailhead
    Can't leave Paul behind. Plus it might give the wind a chance to die down some before we get to the moves that can be very ugly if you get blown off your line.

I tapped that

wanna ride
    I need my warm up on something tame so tempelton does not claim me as a victim right off the bat.
    ^^^^
    Try not to stop and fall in front of me this time and I'll try not to
    Run you over.

Candlestick Maker
    Good riding out there, despite the insane wind! Nice meeting you all. Next time I ride Templeton at night, I'm wearing my armor....

BTW, the UCCS weather station history has winds of 30mph and 50mph gusts for our ride time!
    baker

I'm with stupid
    Yep good ride minus the wind.

I tapped that

the Chain Guy
    Glad you were able to ride last night. There was some crazy snow on the drive in this morning. It makes you appreciate crazy Colorado winters.

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Good riding out there, despite the insane wind! Nice meeting you all. Next time I ride Templeton at night, I'm wearing my armor....

BTW, the UCCS weather station history has winds of 30mph and 50mph gusts for our ride time!
    Yeah, that wind was some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm surprised that the gusts were only 50mph--especially when we were crossing over to Cobblestoned. On our second lap of Cobble, Jake and I took some of the lower trails to get there, and it was a lot better than crossing the top of the mesa.

You guys should have stuck around for the encore. I don't think I could have ridden any faster down Cobble if I had been on the Knolly--it was a blast!

Candlestick Maker
    You guys should have stuck around for the encore. I don't think I could have ridden any faster down Cobble if I had been on the Knolly--it was a blast!
    The descent down Edna Mae reminded me that my endurance-boy routine doesn't hone my technical skills enough. I was badly gapped even though I thought I was letting it go... Some damn good riders in that group.

I'm still picking sand out of the corners of my eyes this morning. Good times!
    baker

<100%
    That was worth the drive...those trails are FUN. Thank you everyone for the tour and good times. The second lap the wind blew us up the hill, it was almost like shuttling. I am looking forward to seeing what those trails look like during the day.

We woke up to 11 inches of snow in HR this am. Frick.

I'm with stupid
    Yeah is this what " little or no accumulation" means?

I tapped that

Candlestick Maker
    11 inches? Jeez! We only got 5" in Monument, but the roads are terrible. I'll have to break out the snow bike and have a very different type of ride. More work...not so much fun.
    baker

Great ride last night! The Templeton is always humbling in the dark.
    Took a shower when I got home and couldn't believe all the sand and rocks coming out of my hair! Really though, I think we were fortunate that the wind only got real bad towards the end of the ride. Glad everyone made it out, good times.

Great ride last night! The Templeton is always humbling in the dark.
    Took a shower when I got home and couldn't believe all the sand and rocks coming out of my hair! Really though, I think we were fortunate that the wind only got real bad towards the end of the ride. Glad everyone made it out, good times.
    Templeton usually humbles me in the light too .

We were fortunately with the warm temps too--could you guys imagine if it had been 30 degrees colder with wind like that?

I'm with stupid
    Templeton usually humbles me in the light too .

We were fortunately with the warm temps too--could you guys imagine if it had been 30 degrees colder with wind like that?
    I can...... As a matter of fact wasn't that the weather conditions last year in Palmer when I set the record for the coldest flat change in our group riding history?
    Anyone's pics turn out?

I tapped that

I can...... As a matter of fact wasn't that the weather conditions last year in Palmer when I set the record for the coldest flat change in our group riding history?
    Yes, but I'm still trying to forget that ride so I'm trying not to imagine it again

Team Inflexible

Le Pics

Awesome night guys. Way to brave the wind! Glad there was only minor carnage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0844.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0846.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0852.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0856.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0871.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0868.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0872.jpg  

Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-img_0869.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas for the very warm welcome. I had a blast. You all have sick skilz and maybe I should fear you all, instead of that rigid single speed crew...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Hey K - can you tone down that Amoeba a little bit!

looks like you guys had fun!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Inflexable...
    Really like the Cobblestone shots!!!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Great pics Jay! Sure, post the one of me dabbing, I don't mind since that was the only time I dabbed on that whole trail .

mtbr member
    Right on!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How long is that Templeton Loop? Just trying to put some scale to the map I have. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    How long is that Templeton Loop? Just trying to put some scale to the map I have. Thanks.
    Not for sure exactly, but I think around 3 miles.

<100%
    The entire ride Wed eve was 7 miles, 1400+ft of climbing. That includes the second lap Kristian and I rode

Not for sure exactly, but I think around 3 miles.
    I've always thought it was over 4. I think that was based on a bike computer though, not a GPS. If I'm booking it, it takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to "ride" the whole thing so I hope it's longer than 3 miles .

On the ride last Wednesday, we only rode about 1.5 miles of trail, and then doubled back on the same 1.5 miles in the other direction.

I've always thought it was over 4. I think that was based on a bike computer though, not a GPS. If I'm booking it, it takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to "ride" the whole thing so I hope it's longer than 3 miles .

On the ride last Wednesday, we only rode about 1.5 miles of trail, and then doubled back on the same 1.5 miles in the other direction.
    Yeah, we might have rode a quarter to a third of the Templeton trail Wednesday night.
    Kman an hour and fifteen? Dam that's truckin'

And Brokefork, throw the map away and go ride it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah, we might have rode a quarter to a third of the Templeton trail Wednesday night.
    Kman an hour and fifteen? Dam that's truckin'

And Brokefork, throw the map away and go ride it!
    Yeah, I'm coming down this weekend, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 1/2 mile or something and have to find something else to ride. Looks like a fun trail, good chance of eating some dirt there, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Yeah, I'm coming down this weekend, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 1/2 mile or something and have to find something else to ride. Looks like a fun trail, good chance of eating some dirt there, ha!
    Palmer park is going to be a slopfest this weekend--it is not rideable with the snow that we received. I'd suggest Cheyenne Canyon (Cap'n Jacks) since it's a lot more tolerant to riding in wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately Kristians correct on this one and I'm kinda bummed about it... The snow on the roads have cleared off nicely, but it doesn't seem to be clearing very well off the ground. If it hits the mid fifties tomorrow Pp is going to be a mess.
    Heres a pick from my backyard, and I live very close to the park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springs Wed Night Ride 2/22/12-uploadfromtaptalk1330111897835.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Pueblo Trails?

Hey, sounds like the front range is pretty hammered with snow... anyone know about Pueblo trails?

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieyeti View Post
    Hey, sounds like the front range is pretty hammered with snow... anyone know about Pueblo trails?
    Sounds like they have snow on the ground also, so I would skip it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Sounds like they have snow on the ground also, so I would skip it...
    Right on... not the news I was hoping for, but happy to not make the drive to find that out. Thanks for the heads up.

wanna ride
    Thanks for the pics Jay.

Members who have read this thread: 0