mtbmike

Springbrook Trail Opens December 2

I just got confirmation. This new trail will be open to the public Tuesday morning.

Now go ride.... repeat as necessary!
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Rolling
    Sweet. I guess I will be commuting to work via that trail.

Old, stale, negative
    That's hot.

Rolling
    Only one problem with tomorrow.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Windy, with a west wind 50 to 55 mph decreasing to between 20 and 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I went to Spring Brook today, hoping...

20 degrees early this morning in Westminster, 60 degrees and no wind at noon...no brainer, let's take a short ride. I went to Doudy with fingers crossed...please--warm, no wind, dry trail. Well, 2 of 3 isn't bad. About 50 degrees, maybe, steady 30 mph wind with gusts to 40 but dry trail! The kind of wind that makes you ride leaning over at a 45 degree angle. But fun.

There was someone working on the trail up there at the junction but no sign saying open tomorrow. Hope it's true. The wind howling through the high tension wires was something, sounded like big jet planes overhead. Sometimes I could get in a sheltered area and the wind would shoot past overhead, but there was this constant din of the wind hitting the ridge to the east. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Rolling
    Dude your wheel is on the other side of the sign, ya poacher!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Dude your wheel is on the other side of the sign, ya poacher!
    Technically it wasn't on the trail...I think I was legal...I think. Anyway...

What time is the opening Tuesday? Is it some formal affair like at Picture Rock or just someone removing the barriers and it's first come/first served? It turns out my meeting in south Denver has been moved to Wednesday and I can be at Spring Brook for the Grand Opening, if there is one. Bring the winds, this is new trail!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Old, stale, negative
    Yeah, the wind I expected but got ride new trail ASAP! It's a sickness, I should get some help.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Yeah, the wind I expected but got ride new trail ASAP! It's a sickness, I should get some help.
    Least it's a warm wind.

Last time I rode that area in high wind, I could barely control my bike on the High Plains trail. The side wind literally blew me off trail.

When the wind is bad in Boulder, it's worse by Eldorado Canyon.

I see conflicting reports between NWS, weather.com and Weatherunderground.

The NWS hourly graph shows it peaking around noon and better after wards.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...Type=graphical

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got back from riding spring brook - not bad! As you might expect the dirt is a little loose. Rocks poke through here and there, but its not like the ponderosa trail or anything. Trail is mainly sidehill with massive excavation (for an mtb trail) having taken place to keep it level. The grade for climbing is mild and consistent, not much to speak of in terms of technical challenge. At the top it winds through trees a bit, fun if you keep your speed up.

It connects to some road at the top that you can apparently take to the eldorado springs road, I didn't go that way though. I saw where there is some concrete in place for a bridge to another trail section west of the spring brook loop. Goshawk trail I think, people were saying that will be hiking only though. The bridge will go over a big drainage ditch of some sort that parallels the road.

On the way back down it was easy to get going pretty fast, this trail will allow much higher speeds downhill than picture rock, as the curves pretty much follow the contour lines of the hill, so you're not winding back and forth as much. I rode it counterclockwise; probably its going to be fast coming down in either direction.

So overall I think its a nice addition to the area, a good XC style loop. Some potential for speed conflicts maybe, we'll see. It has a nice view of the flatirons, from a slightly different perspective than I've used to seeing.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    You guys should start lobbying to open up some of the stuff north of 36 underpass to bikes. There are some really sweet sections of trail that are closed to bikes.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

lucky enough
    Yes it'll take a bit more traffic to pack it down it spots. If folks are interested in keeping the trail narrow, I could see an argument for one way riding with the direction switching every month like Betasso.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    How would I get there from CO SPrings?

Thread Terrorist
    this is a wide thread

Your retarded
    Congrats on the new trail, northern brotheren. Just about any new trail is a good trail and this looks like a great one to play on with your favorite fast hardtail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    How would I get there from CO SPrings?
    Go north and don't stop until you've driven two hours (three in traffic) to ride an hour-ish long trail. That's a pretty long drive for us Springs folk, dude.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    As you might expect the dirt is a little loose. Rocks poke through here and there,
    It is a natural surface trail! That stuff is supposed to be there.

Members who have read this thread: 0